Ideal partner: Smarter, dumber, or about on your level?

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
i wouldnt be afraid of my girl outsmarting me, but i wouldnt be turned off by a "lesser" intellect, and girl at my level doesn't really do anything to me either...i dont know...good question. i just want them to be hot whichever way, so thats a focus i have.

TioShard

Oct 14, 2009
I'd go for more intelligent. I'm not worried about being beaten in arguments or anything as I'm the king of debates. But if she is good at math and more practical stuff it would be helpful as that kind of stuff is not my strong suit.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Probably about the same level as me. However, as long as the person isn't a complete idiot, and can hold a decent conversation about something relevant, then I don't really care. Personality and looks are more important for me when looking for a girlfriend. Intelligence doesn't matter too much, assuming we're talking about academic intelligence, of course. It doesn't matter to me how many GCSEs someone has or exactly how clued up they are on History or Physics or whatever, as long as they are at least of average intelligence. Of course, I wouldn't go for someone so smart that they feel like they're entitled to rub it in peoples faces. That would simply be mean on their part and comes into the personality thing I mentioned before, that is, they'd probably be mean as a person and thus not someone I'd want as a lover, or indeed as a friend.

If we mean common sense and that sort of intelligence, then of course I want someone reasonably intelligent...

Gruevy

Jan 7, 2011
Kortney said:
There is this weird recurring notion that I find kind of creepy about the Escapist. It sounds like you are looking for a new dog to own. Do I want my partner to be smarter or "dumber" than me? Wow. I don't care. As long as I can hold a conversation and (more importantly) as long as I can fall in love with them then the rest is irrelevant.

Some "stupid" people I know are incredibly beautiful people and some of the best company I could ever hope to have. Same goes for some "smarter" people. Something I definitely would not like in a parter, is the type that goes around judging other people's intelligence.
I agree, in fact, I think this has less to do with any notion of intelligence than it is about individual communication styles that a person prefers. People don't need to be able to hold an academic debate to have a romantic relationship, they just need to be able to function together in a way that's mutually beneficial.

It wouldn't be too far off to say that there are people here who absolutely fetishize academic prowess.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
A dumber girl would require me to hold her hand all the time( not in the good way), and a smarter girl would need to hold MY hand all the time, so same-level intelligence would keep the relationship equal.

The girl I'm already with is about equal to me, so I guess I got my wish. ;D

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Gruevy said:
Kortney said:
There is this weird recurring notion that I find kind of creepy about the Escapist. It sounds like you are looking for a new dog to own. Do I want my partner to be smarter or "dumber" than me? Wow. I don't care. As long as I can hold a conversation and (more importantly) as long as I can fall in love with them then the rest is irrelevant.

Some "stupid" people I know are incredibly beautiful people and some of the best company I could ever hope to have. Same goes for some "smarter" people. Something I definitely would not like in a parter, is the type that goes around judging other people's intelligence.
I agree, in fact, I think this has less to do with any notion of intelligence than it is about individual communication styles that a person prefers. People don't need to be able to hold an academic debate to have a romantic relationship, they just need to be able to function together in a way that's mutually beneficial.

It wouldn't be too far off to say that there are people here who absolutely fetishize academic prowess.
I thought that was the whole point of nerd dating. Am I missing something about how nerds choose mates?

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
well... given the multiple possible intelligences, i'd choose "smarter than me, but in a different way"

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
SimuLord said:
DeadSp8s said:
SimuLord said:
DeadSp8s said:
SimuLord said:
DeadSp8s said:
I would prefer the same. Too smart and she would judge me for playing video games instead of faggy reading. However, if she was smarter and not a judgmental ***** whore, I wouldn't really care. Slightly dumber, I'd feel good about. Much dumber, no thanks.

This works for everyone. /thread
In your case, anything beyond "slightly dumber" and you'd have to get her away from her social worker at the state Department of Mental Retardation. You could learn all about such things but that would involve "faggy reading". I hope for your sake that was sarcasm.

/zing
cool story bro. you should write that in a book, that way I wouldn't have to read it.
Your village called---they miss you.
In your case, anything beyond "slightly dumber" and you'd have to get her away from her social worker at the state Department of Mental Retardation. You could learn all about such things but that would involve "Your village called---they miss you.". I hope for your sake that was sarcasm.

/zing

see what I did there?
Unfortunately, I do.

/facepalm
Seems you can't make a topic without some sort of menace rolling about in it, can you Sim? haha

As for me? I prefer a girl who is on my level. Someone I can actually speak to, but I rather be better then them at a lot of things, ya know...manly things. This isn't a joke either. If a chick knows how to handle herself better then I do in most situations, its not entirely attractive. I guess I fall for the damsel's in distress sort of deals.

Smarter then me though? Nah. I personally haven't even met a girl smarter than me, mostly because they're probably too busy to waste their time on me anyways.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I would prefer slightly dumber for the same reasons you listed Sim. I like girls who are equipped with that feminine, domestic, and sweet attitude, but aren't total bricks.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
I'd prefer if they were around my level of intelligence. Maybe smarter, if they were careful not to use their vastly superior intellect to step on my toes. If it were the other way around, I'm not sure I could do it. I have this nasty habit of not holding back, at least in terms of competition.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
DeadSp8s said:
SimuLord said:
cool relationship thread!!!! I can't believe no one thought to do one before!!!!

My girlfriend really likes going to school, she's super-duper smart. She like to eat cookies and play with dogs (not at the same time, LOL!) When we go out to public, we usually eat sandwiches and hold hands (not at the same time, LOL!)

Sometimes, my relationship is sad. We don't cry happy tears then. But sometimes, it's happy relationship! Those tiems are fun times. One time, we tried to make a baby (but we didn't actually want the baby part, LOL!)

What about you guys? Do you like candy? Do you like soccer?
Okay, now you're just making an ass of yourself. The best thing you can do is to stop posting and just end this little argument here and now. Then everyone can carry on without the risk of people being put on probation (or worse) because of your immaturity. That sound fair to you? Because it does to me.
Don't bother Trivun, its pointless obviously. Just report and move on.
Oh, don't worry, I have done. I'm just trying to defuse the situation, if there's a chance of doing so, because frankly I don't like seeing people being put on probation or whatever if there's a chance they can see that they're being idiots and can just let things go. In an ideal world there'd be no need for moderators, after all. It's just a shame we don't live in such a world...
I agree with the idea of attempting to defuse the situation, but most of the time...its just not our place on here.

Now, what is your ideal partner, Triv? haha
Fair enough... As for my answer, I've already posted mine on Page 1 :p. But yeah, for the reasons stated in that earlier post, I'm not too fussed, though possibly around the same sort of intelligence as me. That being said, most of the girls I know IRL are fairly smart, though as I know most of these girls through university that's only to be expected :D.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Trivun said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
DeadSp8s said:
SimuLord said:
cool relationship thread!!!! I can't believe no one thought to do one before!!!!

My girlfriend really likes going to school, she's super-duper smart. She like to eat cookies and play with dogs (not at the same time, LOL!) When we go out to public, we usually eat sandwiches and hold hands (not at the same time, LOL!)

Sometimes, my relationship is sad. We don't cry happy tears then. But sometimes, it's happy relationship! Those tiems are fun times. One time, we tried to make a baby (but we didn't actually want the baby part, LOL!)

Okay, now you're just making an ass of yourself. The best thing you can do is to stop posting and just end this little argument here and now. Then everyone can carry on without the risk of people being put on probation (or worse) because of your immaturity. That sound fair to you? Because it does to me.
Oh, don't worry, I have done. I'm just trying to defuse the situation, if there's a chance of doing so, because frankly I don't like seeing people being put on probation or whatever if there's a chance they can see that they're being idiots and can just let things go. In an ideal world there'd be no need for moderators, after all. It's just a shame we don't live in such a world...
I agree with the idea of attempting to defuse the situation, but most of the time...its just not our place on here.

Fair enough... As for my answer, I've already posted mine on Page 1 :p. But yeah, for the reasons stated in that earlier post, I'm not too fussed, though possibly around the same sort of intelligence as me. That being said, most of the girls I know IRL are fairly smart, though as I know most of these girls through university that's only to be expected :D.
haha Yeah, I just broke my rule, so no worries.

Anyways, I wish I knew more ladies of the smart variety! What university do you go to? I must visit. If they're good looking too, of course...;D

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Well not dumber, but smarter would be fine. I already have a pretty low opinion of myself anyway so I don't see how it could hurt. At least that's what others tell me.

shreedder

May 19, 2009
I like someone who is smart, maybe smarter. As long as the person isn't dumb and I can have meaningful conversations with I am happy.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
DeadSp8s said:
SimuLord said:

Anyways, I wish I knew more ladies of the smart variety! What university do you go to? I must visit. If they're good looking too, of course...;D
University of Leeds, in the UK. And most of the girls here are pretty damn attractive, it's just a shame that I get so few opportunities to talk to any without coming off as being creepy or weird. I mean, how are you supposed to break the ice with someone and start a real conversation? It's just so damn difficult...

TheNewDemoman

Feb 21, 2010
As smart as me

The most beautiful women will grow old and be un-attractive
So she has to have something sexy like Intelligent :D

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Same level. I don't think I could really love someone who I idolize, nor can I love someone I consider lesser than me. Perhaps someone who is intelligent in a way I never once gave much thought to. God knows how shitty I would feel being stuck with someone who either constantly made me feel stupid or constantly made me check to see if she's doing everything right. I don't want a role model or a pet. At least I think I don't.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Trivun said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Trivun said:
DeadSp8s said:
SimuLord said:

University of Leeds, in the UK. And most of the girls here are pretty damn attractive, it's just a shame that I get so few opportunities to talk to any without coming off as being creepy or weird. I mean, how are you supposed to break the ice with someone and start a real conversation? It's just so damn difficult...
Totally understandable haha

It gets so intimidating sometimes q_q You can always have a really corny pick-up line that gets them to laugh because its so bad...

Heres one, "How much does a polar bear weight?" *Blank stare* "Enough to break the ice, Hi, I'm *Insert name here*" haha

Gruevy

Jan 7, 2011
SimuLord said:
I thought that was the whole point of nerd dating. Am I missing something about how nerds choose mates?
That has more to do with individuals seeking out people who communicate in a way that's close to them. It just happen to be these people are "nerds" who have little to no experience in relationships. Having both is a plus, but a huge emphasis on a particular style develops a tunnel vision for anything else not being acceptable, which limits options making them even lonelier.