If A Random Girl Walks Up and Punches You Would You Hit Her Back?

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
I have serious psychological issues with getting hit in the head where I sometimes flat-out snap for a few seconds afterwards, so there's a good chance I'd literally choke someone who just randomly punched me before I even realized what I was doing - whether or not it's a female wouldn't change that. For that exact reason, I deliberately warn people to NEVER hit me in the head.

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
Well, since I'm the kind of person that's equal parts untrusting and paranoid enough to be on my toes pretty much at all times when I go out, combined with having an ethical side that can be best explained by "is paranoid of everyone but doesn't not interact with them, and if they get his ire is nondiscriminatory," I would probably react pretty quickly (assuming the punch didn't send me reeling back) with a quick, theoretically incapacitating punch to, say, the throat (airway damage would probably at least cause some choking) before I had even registered what happened, and then would either A: get the attention of nearby authorities, or B: if there are no authorities nearby, bolt for it.

Not sure if I would get away with it, given the double-edged sword that is retaliation; but I'd like to think I would, especially since I didn't, say, punch her in the face.

Then again, I'm also the kind of person that generally doesn't have a very quick reaction time, but when I do, it's quick; so I might actually dodge it and evade further aggression/pursuit, and just not leave the house for a while. Especially since, living in America, in South Carolina, I have the Castle Doctrine (AKA "Stand Your Ground") to dictate I can beat them into a pulp first and ask questions later if anyone breaks into my house.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Shaved Apple said:
This Thread is for the guys to answer but ladies feel free to answer as well. Personally i would hit a girl if she walked up to me and punched me in the face if I didn't know her.
even if I did know her, if the punch is not "hey I'm gonna pull a prank in good fun" if it's genuinely "I want to hurt you" I'd punch her the same as I'd punch any man that did it

agrajagthetesty

Jan 29, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
My reaction.

OW! DX

WHAT THE #$^* IS WRONG WITH YOU!

*Punched again*

OW! STOP THAT! I AM CALLING THE COPS! DX

*Grabs her next punch*

Her: RAPE!

*Arrested and thrown in jail for 57 years*
Kyrinn said:
If I grab her she could yell rape and I'd almost certainly end up defending myself in court and might even end up in jail.
Always good to see people with no understanding whatsoever of the reality of rape.

In the US, the arrest rate for rape is 25% (compared to 79% for murder, and 51% for aggravated assault).
[link]http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500690_162-5590118.html[/link]

In the UK, 1% of all rape victims see their rapist convicted (allowing for unreported rapes, reports not leading to prosecutions, and prosecutions not leading to convictions).
[link]http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2008/07/rape_a_complex_crime.html[/link]

And the average sentence for rape in the US is 117 months, while the average time actually served is 65 months (56% of the sentence). So 57 years... no.
[link]http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/PSATSFV.PDF[/link]

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
If I'm sober I'll tell her to stop, since I don't abstain from hitting girls if they hit me first. Unless she sorta looks like she's going to pull a gun on me, in that case I guess I'll be her punching bag.

If I'm drunk I'll either get turned on and hit on her, or punch myself and grin like a maniac just waiting for another blow so I can smash her face.

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
I would have her charged for assault. There's no point in hitting a crazy person, it would be much more satisfying watching her flip shit when I call the cops. Yea, I'm a pansy, deal with it.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Sober Thal said:
No.

Cause it's a girl.

I had a random girl knee me in the crotch before, maybe 20 years ago... I didn't hit her back, cause it would have been unfair. If she would have had strength behind her attack, strength more than a girl, I might have had to lay down some law, but it wasn't like that, so I didn't have to.
Would you mind me asking if you'd have done the same if it was a guy who was smaller than you? I've heard this 'no, because they're weaker' defence from a lot of men but not one of them seemed to have a problem punching a guy smaller than them if they started - it was apparently their fault for starting a fight with someone bigger than them. You may well be different, however.

Personally I'm in the camp of 'don't start what you can't finish', and normally I would try to restrain over simply hitting back, but if I was just jumped and attacked I can say from experience I wouldn't take the time to access who it was jumping at me; I'd just flail and hope the bad person goes away.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I guess it depends on the type of punch, or what she did next.

Because there's an amount of time where a retaliatory strike is appropriate.

Like if she hits me and runs I won't bother chasing.
Or if she hit me just to get a reaction I wouldn't justify it with a response.
But if it's some bullshit suckerpunch and she's still in "range" by the time I figure out what happened then Yeah, I'll hit back.

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
I would defend myself as fiercely as if a man had hit me. I'd probably avoid seriously disfiguring her though, which I wouldn't do if it were a man. Generally I'd move to avoid and block her attacks until she got tired or bored, then I'd try and talk through what motivated her to hit me in the first place.

I don't often provoke violence in others, it'd be interesting to know what perceived slight led to the assault.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
If she only hit me once, then generally not.

If she grabbed me and started punching me repeatedly, I'd be an idiot not to swing at her at least once.

I hate when someone comes out and says, "You should never ever ever ever ever ever hit a woman. Ever!" Because when you start making stupid general statements like that, I start thinking up disaster scenarios. And those disaster scenarios usually involve a woman armed with some type of gun, knife and/or bomb charging at me while I'm with one or more other people, probably a child, with the intention of killing all of us. You gonna tell me that punching her in the face makes me the monster?

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Depends on my mood. Right now I'd hit her back, in fact f I saw her going to hit me, I'd probably try to hit her/push her off first.

But most of the time I'd want to know why she hit me before doing anything.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I'm trained in Jiu-Jitsu. It really depends. If she just kind of silly-slapped me, I'd be confused and move away at a fast pace. If she was serious and really trying to cause me serious harm, I'd probably break her face and knock her out and then realize something had happened. Adrenaline is lovely.

First off, men: hit girls if they are threatening your life and/or physical integrity. If some chick walks up to you and tries to brain you with a crowbar or break your nose in or something, you should know how to either escape or fight back. At that point, she is neither male nor female; she is an attacker, and freaking *defend yourself.* (That can include "run the hell away." But if you're backed against a wall or something, you might have no choice.) If a man hit me, I'd defend. If a woman hit me, I'd defend.

Although I'm female, so I may have a different perspective here. But if this boils down to, "do you think it's okay to hit women if they legitimately attack you," I'd say "well duh." Women aren't immune to basic laws of self-defense.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
if she was walking towards me and punched me in the face, and I was to retaliate, it wouldn't be a punch, she would likely suffer from one of a variety of throws, depending on the angle of approach and attack, and be in pain on the sidewalk as I walk away. Don't punch strangers, hell don't punch people at all if you can help it, because if they know what they're doing your arm is now a weapon of leverage against you.

It's far better to avoid conflict, but prepare to respond to it.

If you feel like punching someone, it's far better to instead, calm the fuck down, and then once you have, proceed.

However if an unknown quantity decides to innitiate violence against my person, I will retaliate appropriately, because I have no reason to know, or think that they'll stop after that one punch.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Sober Thal said:
AngloDoom said:
Sober Thal said:
No.

Cause it's a girl.

I had a random girl knee me in the crotch before, maybe 20 years ago... I didn't hit her back, cause it would have been unfair. If she would have had strength behind her attack, strength more than a girl, I might have had to lay down some law, but it wasn't like that, so I didn't have to.
Would you mind me asking if you'd have done the same if it was a guy who was smaller than you? I've heard this 'no, because they're weaker' defence from a lot of men but not one of them seemed to have a problem punching a guy smaller than them if they started - it was apparently their fault for starting a fight with someone bigger than them. You may well be different, however.

Personally I'm in the camp of 'don't start what you can't finish', and normally I would try to restrain over simply hitting back, but if I was just jumped and attacked I can say from experience I wouldn't take the time to access who it was jumping at me; I'd just flail and hope the bad person goes away.
Smaller than me? Bruce Lee was pretty small... I wouldn't want to hit him either. As for weaker than me? Nah, I don't hit kids.
I wouldn't really say a woman and a 'kid' are on the same sort of level in terms of strength. Using your Bruce Lee example, if a woman was trained in martial-arts she may well hit a lot harder than you.

That aside, what if you were (if you aren't already) quite a big burly guy and a smaller, thinner man punches you in the face? Most people wouldn't have a problem with that, but would you have a problem with that?

I'm not trying to say what's right or wrong, I'm just genuinely interested.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Restrain her until she calmed down, or until the police got there. There's more than two options here