If Nintendo went under tomorrow, who should buy their assets?

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
FreakSheet said:
If Nintendo goes under, so does innovation. Gaming will stagnate, and die.
This here has it mostly right. The "innovation" that Microsoft and Sony claim to bring to the table are mostly either copies of stuff other consoles have already done, or have nothing to do with games at all. I wouldn't go so far as to say games would die, but they certainly would stagnate without the innovative minds at Nintendo.

"HOW DARE NINTENDO TRY CHANGING SOMETHING BESIDES GRAPHICS! Graphics are EVERYTHING! I wanna see REALISTIC wood grain on that gray-brown crate I'm about to shoot in Gears of Halo: Medal of Duty so my gray-brown character can blow up those gray-brown enemies! I'll just go back to playing that, and God help them if they dare try to change anything in the next 20 years, or God forbid, make me MOVE something aside from my thumbs! And I won't dare play anything unless it's at least rated T!"

This (Theory: Yahtzee-influenced) crap is getting as old and stale as the games this kind of thinking produces. And before anyone blows up at me for picking on FPS, I can level similar claims against RPGs. No, Nintendo doesn't consistently make the most innovative software, but what company does? (And before you all say Valve, NO THEY DON'T. They're still mostly gray-brown shooters, but more "light-hearted" gray-brown shooters. And Portal alone doesn't save them in that.) At least Nintendo has a lot of variety in style in their software offerings, and more importantly, innovates in its hardware past just graphics in a way that actually impacts GAMES. I suppose I can credit MS for popularizing and streamlining online multiplayer on the console. But aside from graphics and technical stuff, what has Sony done with its Playstation hardware to actually innovate the way we play games? Seriously? I can't think of anything that hadn't already been implemented by someone else. The other console developers, especially Sony, (again, can't entirely fault MS for an original idea once in a blue moon with Live and Kinect) don't want to actually innovate gaming itself because then it takes away from the true focus they want to emphasize: that their machines are really entertainment centers or extra computers that just so happen to play games too. If they emphasize the games too much, it becomes "about" the games, not the other brands in their corporation that MS and Sony want to push on you. Nintendo has none of that baggage, and none of that to lose by pushing gameplay innovation. They're primarily a gaming company, so they have always put games first, not stuff like DVD players, MP3 music storage, streaming movies and TV, or any of that. And for all the Wii's faults (and it does have some of its own), I at least give Nintendo credit for having the balls to try new ways to play games, something MS and Sony have been playing catch-up with them on since they got into the business.

Joy... THAT's what I think games are getting away from today, aside from Nintendo, that so many older games had in spades, and it was a big part of what made those games so fun. We do have unprecedented technical capability and options for customization in our games today, and that's awesome. But a worrying trend I see is that the price of technical progress seems to be the loss of "innocence" in games, so to speak. Sure, an epic soundtrack and innovative gameplay can be enjoyable, and there is a great variety of genres to choose from. But where have those bright, vibrant colors gone? Why does every character in every game have to have some dark, tortured soul? Why does just about every game with a plot nowadays revolve around the horrors of war? Why is Hell a more common setting than the Mushroom Kingdom in games today? It feels like "hardcore" games today have hit a similar vibe to the crappy '90s "gritty reboot" era in comics, trying to appeal to the more "mature" tastes of their "adult" fans and losing a big part of their aesthetic magic in the process. Games don't have to be "grimdark" or deconstruct previous game tropes to be fun and exciting. I would guess that's why I've been playing far more older games lately while my big brick consoles have been gathering dust.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
KAPTAINmORGANnWo4life said:
Let's just say, hypothetically, Nintendo is another Enron (looks prosperous on the outside, really no has profits to speak of), and all of their copyrights went up for sale.

Which developer do you think would do well by Mario, Metroid, Zelda, or any of Nintendo's franchises?

I thought of this as I was imagining a Zelda game as done by Team ICO, so yeah, that's my big idea.
Sega, it'd be poetic justice, and Sega would continue to benefit from all of the Nintendo IP, releasing it on Sony and Xbox and hopefully even PC.

Chrishu

Jul 2, 2008
Give Zelda to either Team Ico or Platinum Games.

Mario... Uh... Media Molecule.

Metroid would be best served with Retro or Irrational.

Pokemon should be with Atlus. They invented the creature capture genre anyway. Or bethesda. Open world pokemon fuck yeah.

F-Zero should be given to a reformed Bizarre.

Golden Sun needs to be done by Bethesda, too. Or the Tales of... Team.

Fire Emblem is practically begging to be touched by NIS.

And we all know Sakurai will troll Capcom into paying him to make endless Super Smash sequels and insanely hard kirby games.

And star fox can be done by no other than Q? Entertainment. Trippy ass arwings ftw.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
If anything, they will probably get swooped up by EA or Activision or some other big publisher and just milked. It's not like anything would realistically change, although all the Nintendo fanboys would have a hissy fit.

FreakSheet said:

But if they did, Retro seems to be very good in handling a Nintendo property.
Oh god, I can't stop laughing. Dear god... this is hilarious. Nintendo? Innovative? BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh god, that's a good one. You should do stand-up.

Oh wait... you're being serious aren't you? You actually think Nintendo is innovative? Wow... the single most infamous game company in terms of milking their franchises, rehashing, and not letting shit die is innovative? I can't think of a single thing they have done recently that has been "innovative". If you think "innovative" means gimmick, then I guess you are right, but last time I checked, innovation was quite different from a gimmick. I guess I need to look up innovative again. I'll be right back...

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
without some really, really weird circumstances, this wouldn't happen, they'd just be bought by another company, hardware, software, copyrights and all

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Stall said:
If anything, they will probably get swooped up by EA or Activision or some other big publisher and just milked. It's not like anything would realistically change, although all the Nintendo fanboys would have a hissy fit.

FreakSheet said:

But if they did, Retro seems to be very good in handling a Nintendo property.
Oh god, I can't stop laughing. Dear god... this is hilarious. Nintendo? Innovative? BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh god, that's a good one. You should do stand-up.

Oh wait... you're being serious aren't you? You actually think Nintendo is innovative? Wow... the single most infamous game company in terms of milking their franchises, rehashing, and not letting shit die is innovative? I can't think of a single thing they have done recently that has been "innovative". If you think "innovative" means gimmick, then I guess you are right, but last time I checked, innovation was quite different from a gimmick. I guess I need to look up innovative again. I'll be right back...
Really? Nintendo is the company that brought us home games that use 3 dimensonal worlds, Motion Controls, handheld gaming devices (That use 3D technology as of now), a plethora of classic platformers, RPGs, and puzzle games that other companies have been trying to mimic for decades a. Are you seriously gonna sit there and claim that the company that has been moving the industry forward for the past 40 years is nothing, but a gimmick creator?

Its because of Nintendo that gaming today exists at all.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
Really? Nintendo is the company that brought us home games that use 3 dimensonal worlds, Motion Controls, handheld gaming devices (That use 3D technology as of now), a plethora of classic platformers, RPGs, and puzzle games that other companies have been trying to mimic for decades a. Are you seriously gonna sit there and claim that the company that has been moving the industry forward for the past 40 years is nothing, but a gimmick creator?
Yup. I sure will. You have the overall logical fallacy that because someone had some good ideas in the past, then that means they are still innovative, which is totally incorrect. To be frank, Nintendo hasn't done anything innovative in years. Most of your examples are citing past works. The only two examples of recent Nintendo being innovative is motion controls (a gimmick) and 3D on a handheld (a gimmick, AND something that would have been done on phones regardless of the 3DS's existence). Classics aren't "innovative". They're good, but having made good games in the past doesn't make you "innovative". It might have made you innovative in the past, but it doesn't make you innovative in the present.

So yes, Nintendo isn't innovative. They're two biggest "contributions" of recent times are gimmicks. They could cease to exist, and the only thing that would be missed is random gimmicks that are insubstantial and rather pointless, and rehashes of the same game they have been making since the 80s. Honestly, they haven't been doing anything to "move the industry forward" for the last decade.

Just because someone was really great in the past doesn't mean they are still really great today.

Kirk Sabre

Jun 14, 2011
Wow, the anti-Nintendo trolling gets pretty intense. I agree with the previous posters who say hardware division might go under, but they'd go right on producing games, just like Sega.

If the licenses had to go do different companies, probably:

Chair Entertainment for Metroid. I love me some Metroid Prime, but I don't wanna lose sight of the side-scrolling explorer/platforming genre that it helped create.

Retro Studios for Donkey Kong. DKC Returns was a solid game, and they know how a respect a property.

Clover Studios (or one of it's splitter-successors, like PlatinumGames) for Zelda. Capcom did some good work on Minish Cap and Oracles, but Okami was one of the closest things to Zelda that I've felt on Playstation.

Mario... man, I don't know. To be perfectly honest, no one does platformer joy like Nintendo. Maybe Naughty Dog. The original Jak and Daxter was pretty platform-y.

I'd like the now-defunct Black Rock to take Mario Kart, though. They know how to do fun racing.

maddawg IAJI

Feb 12, 2009
Stall said:
maddawg IAJI said:
Yup. I sure will. You have the overall logical fallacy that because someone had some good ideas in the past, then that means they are still innovative, which is totally incorrect. To be frank, Nintendo hasn't done anything innovative in years. Most of your examples are citing past works. The only two examples of recent Nintendo being innovative is motion controls (a gimmick) and 3D on a handheld (a gimmick, AND something that would have been done on phones regardless of the 3DS's existence). Classics aren't "innovative". They're good, but having made good games in the past doesn't make you "innovative". It might have made you innovative in the past, but it doesn't make you innovative in the present.

So yes, Nintendo isn't innovative. They're two biggest "contributions" of recent times are gimmicks. They could cease to exist, and the only thing that would be missed is random gimmicks that are insubstantial and rather pointless, and rehashes of the same game they have been making since the 80s. Honestly, they haven't been doing anything to "move the industry forward" for the last decade.

Just because someone was really great in the past doesn't mean they are still really great today.
Gimmicks? Or not hardcore enough for you? You do realize that these things will be the future of gaming, regardless of what you believe, the market has shown that these 'gimmicks' are very successful with buyers (See the Kinect, Wii Sales and 3DS Sales). These items have already changed the market to the point where competitors are trying to produce their own versions to combat it. By the very definition of innovative, the Wii, a console that has made motion controlled video games affordable, simple and compact (As compared to previous attempts at motion controlled video games, see the Sega Activator) and the 3DS, a handheld device capable of showing 3D images without the need of special eye-ware,are indeed INNOVATIVE.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
Robert Ewing said:
Whats so hypothetical about it? I'm almost certain they will go under a few months after the Wii U launch. It's not tomorrow, but it's soon :
God I hope you're wrong I have friends who bought stocks after the Wii U announcement :(

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
My hopes and dreams rests in the notion that, someday, Nintendo will fail making hardware and instead, start developing their games in other consoles, just like Sega.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
My hopes and dreams rests in the notion that, someday, Nintendo will fail making hardware and instead, start developing their games in other consoles, just like Sega.
Agree, on topic, sega is the only company qualified to run nintendo's characters into the ground, just look at their resume

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
Gimmicks? Or not hardcore enough for you? You do realize that these things will be the future of gaming, regardless of what you believe, the market has shown that these 'gimmicks' are very successful with buyers (See the Kinect, Wii Sales and 3DS Sales). These items have already changed the market to the point where competitors are trying to produce their own versions to combat it. By the very definition of innovative, the Wii, a console that has made motion controlled video games affordable, simple and compact (As compared to previous attempts at motion controlled video games, see the Sega Activator) and the 3DS, a handheld device capable of showing 3D images without the need of special eye-ware,are indeed INNOVATIVE.
Oh boy! You opened up your post with an ad hominem! Insulting the person you are attempting to debate with is total and absolute class!

The "future," eh? I suppose that's why the 3DS had to get a massive price cut not even 6 months after its release as well as the Nintendo CEO taking a massive paycut because it was so success. Oh wait, that doesn't mean the 3DS is successful.. it kind of means the EXACT OPPOSITE. How can you say the 3DS is successful? It's one of Nintendo's biggest failures in recent memory. Also, you do know that Nintendo didn't invent the whole glasses-less 3D thing, right? They just kind of took that technology and applied it for gaming. You really aren't "innovative" when you are just employing pre-existing technology. Just letting you know. Besides, its not like most people don't consider 3D as a whole to be a gimmick. What? Is it a gimmick when Sony, movies, Microsoft, and PC games do it, but suddenly revolutionary and deep when Nintendo does it? How does that make sense?

As for the Wii, it's sales have been really tapered off since its release and its had a hard time maintaining its momentum. Besides, weren't people saying that the whole motion controls crap was "innovative" and "game changing" back when the Wii was released? And look at what has come of it 5 years later... practically nothing. A vast majority of games are still using traditional controls still. Very few games take advantage of motion controls despite the fact that they are so "innovative". How much longer do I have to wait for motion controls to be the future? Another 5 years? Another 10? Because after 5 years of the release of the Wii, they haven't really changed anything at all. Perhaps its because they aren't innovative, and are nothing beyond a cheap gimmick.

Like I said, just because Nintendo did some neat things in the past doesn't mean they are still good. They're like the washed up prize fighter who managed to mount a surprise comeback, but is finally starting to show his age and overall worth yet again. I wouldn't quite call them an anachronism yet, but they are struggling to be relevant in today's age.

NinjaCatStudios

Mar 30, 2011
Valve would take metroid, donkey kong would go back to rare, zelda could go to bethesda.
I'mnot sure abou mario and Kirby though.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Microsoft. Yeah, they're pretty heartless, and there's no doubt that they'd nickel-and-dime the hell out of our beloved franchises faster than you can say "DLC 1-Up Mushrooms", but anything that gets me closer to true online Super Smash Brothers is something I'll support.

maddawg IAJI

Feb 12, 2009
Stall said:
The "future," eh? I suppose that's why the 3DS had to get a massive price cut not even 6 months after its release as well as the Nintendo CEO taking a massive paycut because it was so success. Oh wait, that doesn't mean the 3DS is successful.. it kind of means the EXACT OPPOSITE. How can you say the 3DS is successful? It's one of Nintendo's biggest failures in recent memory. Also, you do know that Nintendo didn't invent the whole glasses-less 3D thing, right? They just kind of took that technology and applied it for gaming. You really aren't "innovative" when you are just employing pre-existing technology. Just letting you know. Besides, its not like most people don't consider 3D as a whole to be a gimmick. What? Is it a gimmick when Sony, movies, Microsoft, and PC games do it, but suddenly revolutionary and deep when Nintendo does it? How does that make sense?
First off, the 3DS, despite having a price tag fit for a console, has become the fastest selling handheld device in the United States of America. Out of the 400,000 units Nintendo shipped, 375,000 units were sold in the first two days alone. As of March 31st 3.61 million units were sold and while it is just short of the 4 million Nintendo was expecting, its still a huge sale. As for the price cut for it, that wasn't caused by sales, that's caused by the fact the between the recent recession, the huge production costs and the lack of launch titles, the 3DS had bad timing.

And yes, while they did not invent it, they adapted it to gaming, which has never been done before in the medium (I.E. Innovation). And Microsoft and PC developers don't use 3D gaming and the only thing Sony has in 3D are its TVs, not the Playstation. Plus, when did I ever say its only a gimmick when others do it? It wouldn't be a gimmick if the others were doing it. That's the whole point of a gimmick, to make you stand out, something unique to you. And who ever said a Gimmick can not be innovative?

And the video game industry, especially in Japan, has been hit pretty hard, what with the recession and everything. Its easier for both Microsoft and Sony to shake off the bad economy then it is for Nintendo (Simply because they have money in other areas of home entertainment outside of video games.) am I saying Nintendo isn't in tough times? No I'm not. Was it obviously going to happen? Of course.

Stall said:
As for the Wii, it's sales have been really tapered off since its release and its had a hard time maintaining its momentum. Besides, weren't people saying that the whole motion controls crap was "innovative" and "game changing" back when the Wii was released? And look at what has come of it 5 years later... practically nothing. A vast majority of games are still using traditional controls still. Very few games take advantage of motion controls despite the fact that they are so "innovative". How much longer do I have to wait for motion controls to be the future? Another 5 years? Another 10? Because after 5 years of the release of the Wii, they haven't really changed anything at all. Perhaps its because they aren't innovative, and are nothing beyond a cheap gimmick.
It prompted the competition to adapt and make their own motion controlled additions to their consoles. And look how that turned out. The Playstation Move and the Kinect sold extremely well and the latter is recognized as the fastest selling consumer electronic device ever. In fact, the Kinect has almost sold 1/5th the Xbox 360 total sales (The 360 has a 6 year head start AND no current gen competitors.) in its first 60 days.

And of course most games are going to be using controllers, the market doesn't change that quickly, especially when its been like this for 30 years. Most movies also don't use 3D technology, but they're becoming more and more common, same will become of motion controls and I can bet you my kidney that all 3 console producers will release some sort of motion controlled hardware for their respective 8th generation consoles.
Stall said:
Like I said, just because Nintendo did some neat things in the past doesn't mean they are still good. They're like the washed up prize fighter who managed to mount a surprise comeback, but is finally starting to show his age and overall worth yet again. I wouldn't quite call them an anachronism yet, but they are struggling to be relevant in today's age.
Wait until the WiiU comes out and people start jumping on that (Not to mention that at the rate everything is going, its going to be the only 8th generation console on the market at the time and will most likely have a larger revenue then the Wii did.). Nintendo isn't just any prize fighter, Nintendo is the Rocky of gaming, they can turn things around and end up on top fairly quickly.