If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device on permanent hiatus

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Yeah...cry me a river.

I don't think a fan can be said to "endure" hate. Not unless that hate is sent to them directly.

I mean, it sucks to me as someone who's been called a [Blizzard] "bootlicker" in the past (which might count as enduring hate) that Blizzard's descended further than I even dreaded, but as much as that might suck for me, it sucks much, MUCH more for the people who've been harassed. Or similarly, I have far more sympathy for people whose fanworks have been taken down by GW than fans of GW itself.

As for other IPs, I mean, yeah, that goes for everyone. We've all got IPs we wish were more popular, and we've all seen IPs die. That isn't anything new.
Never in my time here have I seen you being a Blizz bootlicker

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Never in my time here have I seen you being a Blizz bootlicker
Oh you poor sweet child...

So, yeah, I'm probably something of a Blizzard fanboy, but not so much a fanboy that I can't admit I'm a fanboy. I don't think I've ever been called a fanboy on these forums, but definitely on others (mostly in the context of SC2), back in the first half of the 2010s. Back before Blizzard really started to show how deep Activision's claws had dug, though being honest, a lot of this is on Blizzard itself. At this point, there's no real defence of Blizzard. That doesn't diminish the quality of their games, but as a company? Yeah...

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Oh you poor sweet child...

So, yeah, I'm probably something of a Blizzard fanboy, but not so much a fanboy that I can't admit I'm a fanboy. I don't think I've ever been called a fanboy on these forums, but definitely on others (mostly in the context of SC2), back in the first half of the 2010s. Back before Blizzard really started to show how deep Activision's claws had dug, though being honest, a lot of this is on Blizzard itself. At this point, there's no real defence of Blizzard. That doesn't diminish the quality of their games, but as a company? Yeah...
Ah this was probably in the time I didn't join the servers, But I remember personage in the forums before I joined to comment, I was here with you guys but invisible.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I would have thought the biggest threat to their IP and rightful monetary compensation would be the increasing prevalence of 3D printers.
Its a pipe dream. A high quality 3D printer runs between $1000-$5000, a single spool of plastic is about $20, and while some 3D models are free, most are behind either a paywall or subscription service.
So assuming everything goes right and nothing breaks, you're looking at several grand just to teach GW a lesson by not buying their $45 box of plastic mans.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Its a pipe dream. A high quality 3D printer runs between $1000-$5000, a single spool of plastic is about $20, and while some 3D models are free, most are behind either a paywall or subscription service.
So assuming everything goes right and nothing breaks, you're looking at several grand just to teach GW a lesson by not buying their $45 box of plastic mans.
You're not going to cut costs by making your own that way, no. But it still appeals to people to make their own, and also there's always those who will pay for 3D printed models because the ones from GW aren't quite what they are looking for. Which could sting GW at least a little, though not more than other companies having similarish models that people might just prefer.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This is true now. A few years ago there may well have been an extra 0 or two at the ends of those numbers for the same capability. As for the models, they're just CAD files. Some joker will put them up a file-sharing service or trade them through reddit or Facebook or, god help them, they'll just design new ones by scanning their existing models and altering them. So it may not be a direct existential threat to Games Workshop's model (pun unintended) at the moment, if they have any wisdom its a market they will be observing with a very critical eye.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
This is true now. A few years ago there may well have been an extra 0 or two at the ends of those numbers for the same capability. As for the models, they're just CAD files. Some joker will put them up a file-sharing service or trade them through reddit or Facebook or, god help them, they'll just design new ones by scanning their existing models and altering them. So it may not be a direct existential threat to Games Workshop's model (pun unintended) at the moment, if they have any wisdom its a market they will be observing with a very critical eye.
I watched a video that made an interesting point, that GW is moving away from being a model company into a larger media company like Star Wars or Marvel. There is more to the 40k IP than just model kits, they have books, games of video and board varaity, a full on animation studio now, probably a few films in the works, Funko and Bandai models, and if they're smart replica toys and costumes for kids.
So while I agree 3D printing can be a threat, GW may have decided well they can't stop 3D printing as a technology, nor stop dudes printing space marines, so fuck it, don't bother, make official GW space marine Halloween costumes and get a cinematic universe going.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I watched a video that made an interesting point, that GW is moving away from being a model company into a larger media company like Star Wars or Marvel. There is more to the 40k IP than just model kits, they have books, games of video and board varaity, a full on animation studio now, probably a few films in the works, Funko and Bandai models, and if they're smart replica toys and costumes for kids.
So while I agree 3D printing can be a threat, GW may have decided well they can't stop 3D printing as a technology, nor stop dudes printing space marines, so fuck it, don't bother, make official GW space marine Halloween costumes and get a cinematic universe going.
Or hell, start selling the design files to the customer direct. Maybe develop their own printers and software with a subscription model to access the design files.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
I never know how to feel about this stuff. On the one hand it sucks, on the other it's like yeah GW has copyright you can't just make 40k content without them letting you. Its weird how we've got to this place where it's totally normal to upload copyright images and video to youtube with some editing and get away with it. In the 90's everybody would surely think that was piracy or something.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I never know how to feel about this stuff. On the one hand it sucks, on the other it's like yeah GW has copyright you can't just make 40k content without them letting you. Its weird how we've got to this place where it's totally normal to upload copyright images and video to youtube with some editing and get away with it. In the 90's everybody would surely think that was piracy or something.
A lot of the dudes throwing a fit over IP stuff right now just come off an entitled and ill-informed. They think "Fair use" applies when you're just straight up making for-profit animations and movies of someone else's IP, because "its transformative", and that just not what those rules and phrases mean.
TTS would have been covered under fair use because its a parody that uses their own artwork(for the most part), but they chose not to even risk it.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
at least 30th episode of TTS has come out, giving my version of TTS a spark of hope

Last edited:

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I find it dubious that in said update, they seemingly acknowledging copyright and licensing is a thing, and so are contacting the appropriate people to see if they can do any of these. But they have not actually bothered to reach out to GW to see if they can continue TSS, like other 40k animators have done over their own work.

This just kind of reinforces a theory I read over on Bolter and Chainsword, that Alfabusa had grown weary of TTS and has wanted to end it for a while. For something that was pulling in around $60k a year on Patreon (plus additional YT ad revenue), episode releases have been extremely erratic over the last two years. GW IP policies (which from my understanding are not new), has just given them an easy out and without the potential fan backlash.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I find it dubious that in said update, they seemingly acknowledging copyright and licensing is a thing, and so are contacting the appropriate people to see if they can do any of these. But they have not actually bothered to reach out to GW to see if they can continue TSS, like other 40k animators have done over their own work.

This just kind of reinforces a theory I read over on Bolter and Chainsword, that Alfabusa had grown weary of TTS and has wanted to end it for a while. For something that was pulling in around $60k a year on Patreon (plus additional YT ad revenue), episode releases have been extremely erratic over the last two years. GW IP policies (which from my understanding are not new), has just given them an easy out and without the potential fan backlash.
A couple of the other users here pointed out that TTS also references things outside the WH40K canon - at least one notable shout out to Mass Effect - which would complicate matters further. If they were just referencing things in the 40K canon they could have done as you suggest. Of course that could also have ended in total disaster and led to the loss of TTS entirely from YouTube.

Fact is, we can speculate as long as the day is bright, but we'll never know for certain.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
A couple of the other users here pointed out that TTS also references things outside the WH40K canon - at least one notable shout out to Mass Effect - which would complicate matters further. If they were just referencing things in the 40K canon they could have done as you suggest. Of course that could also have ended in total disaster and led to the loss of TTS entirely from YouTube.

Fact is, we can speculate as long as the day is bright, but we'll never know for certain.
A long-running gag that's also plot important is they play games of Yu-gi-oh.