If the World Ends, Do You have Any Useful Skills?

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
A Shadows Age said:
Winterfel said:
I can be DAMN convincing at times, maybe I'd start a cult..
Why have survival skills when you can depend on others to have them for you?
How are you supposed to sacrifice your followers if you rely on them to not die yourself... Or maybe you are referring to spaceships and coolaid?
They will ofcourse have to breed til I have a sizeable amount before we start the sacrifices!
But now that you mention it, we might add spaceships and coolaid to the plan mmmyes...

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
Absolutely none. But teach me how to use a weapon an I might be alright. Plus I can be funny depending on my moods

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
I'm great at tending to crops, grow a lot of my own food as well as other plants that interest me such as herbs and carnivorous plants. I'm great with hardware on the computer side and some medical machines, mainly worked on dialysis machines so if you have kidney trouble I'm there for you. Not as good at making software but I can make websites and some simple programs. I'm a good shot with an air rifle so I assume that would help with a regular gun. Big background in sciences, physics, biology and geology. Good listener and get on well with most people, always eager to help. Don't ask me to write anything though, I'm dyslecsic so no help there.

I have a wide spectrum of well educated friends in many specialitys so if the end comes, I think we'll have a good fighting chance.

Edit: oh and worked in a radiology lab in a hospital once too, nothing mager but learned a lot about careful handling of radioactive materials, and saw a radioactive toilet which was neat. And does avoiding passenger trains while walking the rails count as a skill? lmao was good fun at least

LittleChone

May 17, 2010
I'm a good people person, or at least I am when people aren't trying to kill/rob/trick/tount/annoy me. I've been in musicals, performed speeches infront of large crowds, and I know how to play a number of insturments, so I could be a leader or just a guy who keeps morale up! In combat, I'm skilled at hand-to-hand, swordsmanship, firearms, archery, and improvise weaponry. I'm not very strong, and I do have a ton of health issues, but I'm very agile and dexterous, so I could be a scavenger or scout. I'm very intelectual, but nothing genius level, so I could help reestablish education and technology in the Wastelands.

I have played the Fallout series, so I do have some prexisting experience with the wastes.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
- some fire-starting techniques (haven't had the chance to try them)
- how to build a crystal set radio-- the most high-tech thing it requires is a speaker, and communication is vital
- how to build a generator
- I could probably remember how to build a motor
- how to build a still to purify water with the sun or a fire
- a basic procedure for checking if something is poisonous
- I've practiced archery before (not a lot, but I think I could manage after a while)
- I have some understanding of fermentation so I could probably make alcohol for disinfecting things (I don't drink, and I probably wouldn't start then unless I had way more alcohol than I needed)
- a basic knowledge of Spanish-- if there's anyone else left, chances are some of them will speak it, and again communication is vital
- I do fairly well under pressure
- high tolerance for pain, cold, and noise
- it might sound odd, but I can ride a bike-- motorized transport will probably end quickly and getting around faster than the 5-10 MPH most people can manage on foot (some people have gone as fast as 80 on a bike) could be pretty valuable (especially in areas that aren't conducive to horses, camels, llamas, etc., or don't have any)
- I might know how to make soap, I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly
- possibly most valuable, I'm careful and I've become quite patient, but that doesn't mean I can't be aggressive if the situation calls for it, and I can read, so whatever information is left in books (assuming they're in English or Spanish), I can make use of

Chasing-The-Light

Jul 16, 2011
MordinSolus said:
Chasing-The-Light said:
I can make babies, does that help? ;D
That depends, how many women do you have? If you're a woman, then how many babies can you make at a single time and in how long?

OT: Hm...I can play video games, do computer...stuff, fire a handgun, and impregnate women. Aren't I helpful?
I can make between 1 and 3 in 9 months. xD

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
An observation:
A lot of these posts are about the ability to shoot weapons well. While in any giving situation that will be a handy ability it only gives you the edge for a little while. I myself cannot shoot weapons well because I have never done so, but in an apocalypse situation everyone would probably have some form of firearm whether it be makeshift or manufactured they too will hone the ability to 'shoot shit dead'.

A lot of focus needs to be put on engineering, technology, and medicine, and general logic skills. What good is a firearm if you don't have people hand-loading more ammunition? People will need to get the generators back running, and stuff like that.

OT:
I can pick locks, cook, trap, produce makeshift shelter, have knowledge on water purification and have a strong desire to procreate to ensure the survival of the human species.

thefrizzlefry

Feb 20, 2009
I'm good at dealing with people, so I can make sure the various members of my survival party don't get pissed off and kill one another. And I would also be able to keep morale up by composing and performing music on my trusty fretless bass, Leslie.

LikeTheReaper

May 16, 2010
I am a skilled writer, someone has to record the shit hitting the fan, right?
Plus I have outdoors skills, can make a nice bow in a few minutes.

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
I know how to build shelters, perform first aid, use a knife/saw/axe/hatchet, lead groups, signal for help, and other wilderness survival techniques. I think I could last a couple weeks at least.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I have no useful skills however should the world end and I live, I would be useful as a labourer. What can I say I would probably work hard to help rebuild our society.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
The face value of the term 'the world ends' is open to interpretation. Yes, I read your first sentence, but I still think if the world ends then either the Earth itself has been destroyed, in which case those with spaceflight are the only ones that would survive. Albit for a short time. Or our terms for existence are at an end. Either way, with the way that's phrase - there is no skill we could have that would help us after the world ends. If the world was ending then yes, there's plenty we could do.

/end smartass

In the case of the latter meaning, I'm not sure what I could offer. I can find happiness in the small things, which could be a useful outlook in such a depressing situation, but other than that I don't have any survival training or any major skills. So yeah, I'm pretty much useless.

Suicida1 Midget

Jun 11, 2011
I guess, i am good at building and fixing a variety of things. I also have a strong endurance, i can jog endiffinetly, pretty good in a fight(fist, staff, kneives.). Plus a good general knowledge to boot. Plus a killer molotov cocktail recipe. Only downside is no one listens to me until its too late. ANARCHY!!!!!!!