If you could experience one game for the first time again.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
freakonaleash said:
World of warcraft, it would be weird to experience a game that has become second nature for the first time again.
Heres a question. Would you be playing it as it is now, or how it was at launch?

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
spartandude said:
freakonaleash said:
World of warcraft, it would be weird to experience a game that has become second nature for the first time again.
Heres a question. Would you be playing it as it is now, or how it was at launch?
Well I look back fondly at early WoW but I do know that things get stale over time so the continuous changes have probably been a good thing. However, I will say that WoW of 2015 is in NO WAY the same WoW of 2004.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
LucidGizmo said:
Chrono Trigger for the SNES... best game ever :D
This was my first thought - but honestly, every time I do a play through (generally one every year or two) it manages to feel both new and familiar at the same time. Not many games can manage that.

To be totally random, I'll put my answer down as Alpha Protocol. I'd love to play that game totally oblivious to how shit the ending boss battles are.

william1657

Scout
Mar 12, 2015
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I kind of wonder whether that game is really as great as I remember it, or if that was just nostalgia goggles because it was the first game I ever owned.

Second choices:
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 10
LoZ: Wind Waker

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Probably the Mass Effect trilogy. Because playing them now you realize how much forgettable filler there was. 1 good mission/scene for every 6 or 7 shitty ones.

Failing that, maybe MechWarrior 4 Vengeance? Always had a soft-spot for that game. Campaign was too short though.
OH! Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite! Those games were great the first time! Not so much the second time around, but that first play-through was super fun!

Feb 28, 2008
A third vote for Dark Souls. It would be great to play again not only because it was an emotional experience of itself but because I had a blast playing it with a friend of mine; it would be great to get a chance to bond over that sense of wonder again.

Itsuki93

Mar 16, 2015
I'm going to go with Hotel Dusk and To the Moon, both games that the ending was a genuine surprise for me. It would be cool to experience those again, the impact isn't the same the second time round.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
For me those would be the games that gave me a genuine sense of wonder at the time of release such as A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 7, Street Fighter 2 and Daytona USA in the arcades, Resident Evil 4, Demon's Souls and the more recent Bloodborne. All those games came with a lot of excitement for me. Some expected, some unexpected. :p

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Maybe it doesn't feel like anything much after we've had it given the FIFA and John Madden treatment of a new game every year, but getting to play through that storytelling and campaign again, and getting to relive all the excitement of new concept for Multiplayer without all the gizmos and glamour, that would be something fun.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Creatures on the C64. Syndicate on Amiga. Morrowind on Xbox. All three games that amazed me on the first play through.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
sgy0003 said:
Knights of the old republic. I want to experience the Darth Revan plot twist once again
THIS. I remember how much this was just so unexpected but amazing at the same time. I loved how much you could alter things like being good and having everyone call you Revan if you wanted them to. Scared though that it wouldn't affect me the same way. That game is a definite favorite... but does it really hold up? I think so but I can't know for sure.

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
Throwing my vote in for Shadow of the Colossus. Even if I feel it's one of the most amazing games I've played (and I do), I still have to say that it's very reliant on that initial experience. Repeat playthroughs will never give you the same feelings again, and while one could say the same for most games, I feel it's to a greater degree than most titles in this case.

Based on that criteria, I'd even put in a nod to Undertale in that aspect, as far as more recent games go. Thankfully, repeat playthroughs go a lot smoother than SotC thanks to how it was written in regards to NG+, but that first blind playthrough was still quite a trip.

OrijinalDreamin

Nov 15, 2014
RJ 17 said:
OrijinalDreamin said:
Wow...

Fieldy409 said:
Three years later and people still haven't moved on. The ending was fine. It wasn't god's gift to gaming, but it didn't give you cancer either. Isn't it about time to let go and find a new game to bear your ire? With all the utter crap that's come out since then, surely there must be a more recent game to burn in effigy? Look at it this way: you never have to play ME3 again if you don't want to...but you've still got untold amounts of disappointment to look forward to in the future. =D

OT: I'll go with Portal. Given that it's a puzzle game, there's really no point in playing it once you've already solved everything. So it'd be fun to get to play it again for the first time without knowing all the solutions.
The ending was far from fine, and one must understand, my enmity towards the franchise/company stems from how deeply invested I was in the series, and how betrayed I felt when it was revealed Bioware just couldn't live up to the colossal expectations they set for themselves, and us the fans.

Honestly, this actually was the first True Disappointment I'd had, concerning Gaming Hype Culture, as most other things I was able to shrug off and say, "oh well, there goes $59.99. What's next?" But this, this is what caused me to finally be wary of the sales pitch that game companies spew. While I have a litany of grievances about the ending, I'll summarize it with this: if you say your ending won't be a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure A,B,C type, and you say you're way too creative for that, and you constantly tell people the ending depends on your choices, and you reaffirm this statement, over, and over, and over for 5 long years (or 1568 days to be exact), but your ending is either Blue, Green, or Red, and your in-game decisions don't matter, well, thanks Casey Hudson, you were able to get more than $300 dollars out of me, but I'm fairly certain, you'll never get another damn penny from me.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
OrijinalDreamin said:
The Hate Flows Through Me...
Well I'm not certain how old you are or how long you've been gaming, but if ME3 was your first "true disappointment", the first derailing of a massive hype train for you, then all I can only assume that you either A: haven't been gaming for all that long or B: don't really play that many games to begin with. As I said: there's been bigger disappointments before, there's been much bigger disappointments since, and there will be countless disappointments to look forward to in the future. In a way, you should be thankful to ME3 rather than hating it...because now - as you said - your eyes have been opened to the bullshit of the industry PR machine. :p

But the good news is I've long since stopped trying to convince people that the ending wasn't "rip my pubes out in rage" bad, so you won't have to worry about an argument from me. I've said my piece, and so now I'll wish you a pleasant day.