IGN has Reviewed Prototype

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
I m waiting for Gamespot's review. They get brutal sometimes... even if this gets a 6 or above from gs i will buy.

Fightbulb

May 14, 2008
Well, a 7.5 seems reasonable, he makes some good points.

Indigo_Dingo said:
...so I guess its settled.

inFAMOUS > Prototype.
I hate to be that guy, but you might be wrong there.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/prototype
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/infamous?q=infamous

For now, at least.

Headshot Gamer UK

Jun 8, 2009
Again this falls back to the same old point "don't just listen to reviewers, form your own opinion", although it's probably quite expensive at the moment, so I can understand why people would want to look into it a little before forking out a load of cash.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
mjhhiv said:
I know, I'm just saying that IGN is the only one to give Prototype a bad score so far.
Explain to me again how 7.5 is a bad score.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Kermi said:
Why the hell is everyone acting like 7.5 is a bad score? Jesus CHRIST people, 7.5 is a perfectly acceptable score. Why does it need to be a 9.9 before you're willing to play it?
Would you be satisfied with a 75 on a paper in class?
That's almost a fail.

I was never really excited about this game. Sandbox gaming gets old too quickly for me.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
I don't trust IGN.

I don't trust most big name reviewers unless they prove not to have a terminal case of head-in-ass or if they prove not to be a whore in the pocketbook of the people their reviewing.

I pre-ordered it, i'll give it some kind of user review.

May 15, 2009
i don't buy anything that gets <8.5 on ign.

the <8.5 tend to be very average games. after playing some of the ~7 games before i adopted the 8.5+ plan, i have largely avoided disappointment. any ign highly rated game i've bought over the last few years has been well worth the money.

paying £30 for an average game feels like a large kick to the balls, as i play those games (and usually finish it in 4-5 hours) then wish i'd spent that time playing tf2 or counterstrike... or wish i'd wasted even more time and installed an old game like cod2 or starcraft and add to my zillion hours clocked on those.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Lunatic_Monk said:
I don't really care about reviews. Unless it is Zero Punctuation.
Why on earth would you care about the ZP review? He hates everything, I guarantee you he's not going to like Prototype.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Fightbulb said:
Well, a 7.5 seems reasonable, he makes some good points.

Indigo_Dingo said:
...so I guess its settled.

inFAMOUS > Prototype.
I hate to be that guy, but you might be wrong there.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/prototype
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/infamous?q=infamous

For now, at least.
Eh... that's quite liable to change. infamous had a high 90 score until they started adding more reviews. The xbox version is already at 87 with only 5 reviews, inFamous has an 85 with 74 reviews. They're going to be similarly rated, I think. Both are going to end up with a mid 80s, prototype might get slightly lower but I'd be surprised if it dropped below 78 on metacritic. Are you really going to quibble about 2 or 3 points to say "which game is better?" Can you express in words what is the difference in quality between an 85 and an 87?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Okay, so IGN gave it a 7.5.

PS3 version holds a 91 and Xbox version an 87 on Metacritics, from 6 and 5 reviews respectively. PC version has only 2 reviews, 98 and 95 points. I can honestly say IGN dropped the ball.

FROGGEman2 said:
I don't trust IGN... They didn't like Assassins Creed...
They didn't? Then I guess since I like Assassin's Creed very, very much, I will love Prototype.

tarquin biscuitbarrel said:
i don't buy anything that gets <8.5 on ign.

the <8.5 tend to be very average games. after playing some of the ~7 games before i adopted the 8.5+ plan, i have largely avoided disappointment. any ign highly rated game i've bought over the last few years has been well worth the money.

paying £30 for an average game feels like a large kick to the balls, as i play those games (and usually finish it in 4-5 hours) then wish i'd spent that time playing tf2 or counterstrike... or wish i'd wasted even more time and installed an old game like cod2 or starcraft and add to my zillion hours clocked on those.
Good luck with 4-5 hours. There are at least 20+ hours of storyline, excluding free roaming and destruction and side quests.

Also, funny how IGN gave a low score, yet IGN AU gave a nice 8.5. Read the:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale

About IGN. One guy reviewed Football Manager 2009, gave a bad score, while IGN UK gave a 9.1. Turned out, that person (in IGN, not IGN UK) didn't even PLAY THE GAME.

edit: Oh, wait, that was about a Sonic game. Point stands, I don't trust their reviews one bit.

-Orpheus-

May 5, 2009
I seem to have avoided the hype around this (if there was any) and now I can see why. It looks alright but I imagine it will get old fast. Seems too repetitive for my tastes.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
-Orpheus- said:
I seem to have avoided the hype around this (if there was any) and now I can see why. It looks alright but I imagine it will get old fast. Seems too repetitive for my tastes.
Did you play it? If you didn't, how would you know it's repetitive?

BeighT

Feb 25, 2009
mjhhiv said:
It's worth noting that this has a 93 on metacritic, at the time of writing.

I can't make heads or tales of this. Prototype looks (like, graphically) really awful, but every review says otherwise save IGN's. Prototype looks like it has an interesting story, every review says it does, other than IGN's. The gameplay looks fun, but not as polished as inFamous, from everything I've seen so far.

Between the three open-world games released recently (Red Faction, inFamous, Prototype), I honestly have no idea which to buy.
I am in the same boat =/ guess I'll have to just wait it out and see which ones die out first.

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
Its all subjective. Nobody really cares about review scores in the end - the people who want to give it a go will already be finding some way to rent/borrow/pirate it to give it a go. Most of them will buy it if they like it (including the pirates).

I will be buying it for pc judging on how much I like it after renting - it gives me an excuse to get a wired 360 controller for it as well.