IGN's Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies of all time.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
FargoDog said:
Sacman said:
Korten12 said:
1 - Blade Runner
Holy crap that's my favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time too... also someone needs to be punished for not including Metropolis...
The black and white one or the anime?

Speaking of anime, where is Ghost in the Shell on that list? Damn it IGN! It's probably the best cyperpunk film ever made!
the original silent film it just got fully restored and I saw it in theaters last Sunday it made me cry manly tears...

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
FargoDog said:
Sacman said:
FargoDog said:
Sacman said:
Korten12 said:
1 - Blade Runner
Holy crap that's my favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time too... also someone needs to be punished for not including Metropolis...
The black and white one or the anime?

Speaking of anime, where is Ghost in the Shell on that list? Damn it IGN! It's probably the best cyperpunk film ever made!
the original silent film it just got fully restored and I saw it in theaters last Sunday it made me cry manly tears...
I have yet to watch it. I may have to pick it up on DVD if I ever come across it.
definitely but wait for the 2010 restoration to come out on DVD it has all the footage that was thought to be missing until 2008... and Ghost in The Shell does deserve to be on their one of them at least...

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
Thurmer said:
inception is kinda science fiction but not enough I reckon, although i loved it. also serenity, so great. honorable mentions to 12 monkeys and dark city as well.
I think Inception is still too new to make it on that list, I expect it would atleast have to be on DVD for it to be up there.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Poor list in my opinon. Has to many movies I hated like District 9, Avatar, T2: Judgement Day, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, Jurrasic Park, Back To The Future. Haven't enjoyed any of those movies. Saying that, it's their list.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Kapol said:
Is it sad that I've only seen 25, 24, 22, 21 and 7?
yes especially considering Metropolis and Blade Runner are on there... not to mention Star Wars and Back To the Future...

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Sacman said:
Kapol said:
yes especially considering Metropolis and Blade Runner are on there... not to mention Star Wars and Back To the Future...
Yea... I really need to start watching more movies.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
District 9 is only 24? Bastards...
And where's the original Terminator? It deserves to be on that list more than E.T!
Also, is A Clockwork Orange sci-fi? I never knew that...

Feb 13, 2008
fullbleed said:
I'm actually surprised, that a really good list, equal blend of classics, new films and real period stuff like Metropolis.
True, that's the first TOP X list I've almost agreed with.

Avatar shouldn't be in there, and there's a few I'd put in instead; but overall, that's not a bad list.

Kapol said:
Not sad enough that you shouldn't try and fix it right away. Try and see 5 more before the new year. :)

Jezzascmezza said:
Also, is A Clockwork Orange sci-fi? I never knew that...
Clockwork Orange is very sci-fi, same as The Prisoner. Its original definition is Fiction about Science - all that Space bit came in later.

SillyGodDisco

Oct 17, 2008
Pretty much what everyone else has been saying. Yay Blade Runner! Why avatar? and WHY THE F- IS METROPOLIS 16?! (it should be higher)

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Sacman said:
Korten12 said:
1 - Blade Runner
Reading this thread made we want to watch it like hell... and to download the SOUNDTRACK! Oh gawd, the soundtrack!

Also, while Avatar definitely has its place on that list (whatever any Asimov-elitist might say) District 9 is without a doubt the better movie of the two. Otherwise, a great list.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
These people clearly have a different definition of Science Fiction than I do.
Just slapping a few space aliens and/or robots into your movie doesn't make it science fiction.

The Thing, E.T. and Alien are not Sci-Fi. They're horror movies with space monsters in them.

The Star Wars films are not Sci-Fi. They're action adventure films set in space.

As a point of clarification I'm not saying that these are bad movies (except E.T. fuck that movie) I'm just saying I wouldn't classify them as Science Fiction.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Really? Avatar is rated better than District 9? Wow.

I also can't agree with 2001 being in the number 2 spot. Sure it was revolutionary for its but it was also incredibly dull for long stretches of the film. The story was "okay" but by no means was it better than The Empire Strikes Back's story. Also, yeah Blade Runner was good but they overrated it here by a long shot.

Feb 13, 2008
MrDeckard said:
But [i/]why[/i] is it an accepted rule of criticism?
Because otherwise your judging media based on the resources available to them : At that point Avatar rushes to #1.
We don't call Neanderthals brilliant simply because they made fire. We acknowledge that it was a building block and that without it we would not be where we are, but we wouldn't put them in a list of the smartest people of all time.
The other thing that really bugs me, is that there seems to be some kind of unspoken agreement that no semi-new or new movies (with the exception of arty and/or films with a message) are allowed on a top ten list.
Mainly because they're still in their "buzz" moment, and it takes a degree of stepping back to actually see if it's a great movie after all the hype, or it's a great movie that you just missed.

A lot of the really great cult films had lousy ratings until later. Bladerunner cost 28 mil and made 32 mil.