I'll name that beep in one.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
That *whwwrric!* noise of releasing frozen objects in Garry's Mod.
And a noise I also like is the toot of the monorail train's horn in Sim City 4.

What i don't like is those bugger ads that you see 'free smileys' and whenever your cursor goes over them they exclaim "Oh my Gosh! nau wai!!"
....Sooo [expletive]ing annoying.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
What sound effects make you shiver with delight, anticipation or horror?

Obvious ones would be "KA-CHICK" of a shotgun, "DING!" from Everquest, or the suit refilling whir r on HL.
A lot of mine have been covered, but oh well.
Gotta agree on the HEV chargers and med-kits in Half-Life. I swear, the sound those first-aid healers on the walls make sounds like someone's saying "I fix you, I fix you, I fix you". Seriously, listen next time. Also, the beep the sentry's make in Team Fortress 2. God, I can't tell the sense of "Oh *@#$" I get when I go running into a base as a Scout and hear, "beep, beep, beep" coming from about 5 different directions. Yeah, got a death pic of my spleen on a wall from that one. Also, like some above, the shield recharge sound from Halo 1. Most of the suit sounds from Metroid Prime. Though my favorites have to be the sounds of the Gauss Cannon and Gluon gun form Half-Life 1. When you were charging the Gauss or firing the spiral beam from the Gluon gun, you just knew you were going to tear ass through anyone that dared get in the way. Likewise, if you heard that noise in multiplayer, you knew a gruesome death wasn't far off.

flamedance58

May 2, 2008
I'll second that losethegame101! The lil jingles you get in Metroid Prime & Zelda all aways a welcome sound here :)

Some others I've always loved in the "Ha-chuff" of a missile launcher or grenade launcher, the Level Up sound from any game, and sometimes the death screams from games.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Knight Templar said:
Fire Daemon said:
Blink-bing-bing-bing-biiiing-KABLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
I know that sound well and never from the good side.
Don't we all...don't we all...

Anyway I think any noise that represents something good, like mission done or a new gizzmo is always a favourite noise. Like the Dun dun dun DUUUUN noise from zelda or the blip when you eat the mushroom and grow tall in Mario.

Feb 13, 2008
After being back in Ravenholme last night...

awroooooooh...gaggle...gaggle...gaggle....rOOOOOOAOOORGH....BOOM......rOOOOOOOAOOORGHHHH.... bip...bip...beeeeep.

Anniko

Dec 6, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
I hear so many Half-Life sound effects in CGI movies, I saw Ratatouille and some old lady grabbed a shotgun, and when she reloaded it, I heard the reload sound (that weird "chick-kluhk" one) from Half-Life...
Probably just a generic sound pack.

The scream of a bloodsucker at night in STALKER. Throw on the Oblivion Lost mod and those guys are deadly.

AngryMan

Mar 26, 2008
Not entirely sure what emotion this one inspires in me, but the line yelled by Grey Knights in DoW as they charge; "This is the judgment of the righteous, scum!" always struck me as being peerlessly cool.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
AngryMan said:
Not entirely sure what emotion this one inspires in me, but the line yelled by Grey Knights in DoW as they charge; "This is the judgment of the righteous, scum!" always struck me as being peerlessly cool.
I thought they said "This is the Chapter of the Righteous". It would make more sense to the Grey Knight Back story. I think all voice acting from DoW (except the narrator) is superb, especially if you collect 40k

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
The "rrrrrrrRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE" sound of the X-Buster charging in Mega Man X
The "VOOM VOOM VOOM" sound of the Z-Sabre slashing in the American version of Mega Man X5
The sound of the Protoss Archon's Psionic Shockwave attack in Starcraft
The "BOOOM" sound of a well-placed Falcon Knee in Brawl.

Voodoo Child

Dec 13, 2007
Telferoo said:
and i like the metal gear Brwing! when you were spotted, makes me jump every time.
Quoted for truth. The '!' noise always gets my pulse racing. Also, that "huh?" you hear when the Genome Soldiers in MGS1 see your footprints/hear you/catch a glimpse of you gets me worked up.

Also, in Super Mario World for the SNES, the noise Yoshi makes when you jump on his back is pure <3.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
The turrets in Portal creep me out to no end...

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=249

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The distinctive thunk of a screen change in the "Submachine" flash games.

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
The click, click, click of an empty pistol in ZP:S, followed by "THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!" as I switch to the shotty and-click, clickclickclickclick of an empty shotgun. Finally, the wet slap of a 2x4 on a Zombie... then GRAW! as he eats my face.

babyblues

Apr 22, 2008
I love any sound a lightsaber makes.. And the blasters in Star Wars. Also, in the second movie, when Obi Wan is chasing after Jango Fett in space, Jango drops these sonic charges that sound awesome.

Any sound from the Protoss in StarCraft..

I second, third, and fourth the cliffracer one. Every time I heard that stupid chirping noise I was like "...Fuck."

In Dark Sector, the sound the Glaive makes when thrown.

There's probably more that I can't think of.

EDIT: ***NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED*** ;P

exoneuk

May 1, 2008
The final air-restricted, death-knoll sound of Sonic's "about to drown music" - that final moment before time runs out... always sent a shiver down my spine. Just that one final note. Hated that moment. I always remember that music sounding more and more like someone was compressing the air out of the synth machine. The silence in between that last note and death felt like forever too. God, good times. Good times.

I also love the constant ascendency in blowing up chains in Mean Bean Machine. That and the happy little "YEEHA!" that came with stacking up loads of garbage beans on your opponent's side!

Ooh! One more! "You got a secret bonus point" - Dynamite Headdy. Cracker.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The sound of obtaining a gold lump in Fiesta,
The victory song from FF games,
The fanfare for gaining a level in Morrowind,
The sound of a pokemon evoloution...
I know there's more.