"I'll pick it up when it's cheap"

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I would never buy a game at full price, i don´t think they are worth it, not sure why games have to cost more than movies, music and books, when you don´t get more value for your money. If there´s something i really want to play, i usually just wait 6 months until the price drops, and in the meantime i play something else, i don´t really have a shortage of games to play. I don´t have an infinite amount of money and there´s also a lot of music, films and books i need to buy, so i can´t really go around wasting it on expensive new releases.

And if i think a game looks mediocre, i´m not gonna bother at all, because as the OP says, time is also quite valuable. These days is mainly buy games that waste as little time as possible on shitty video game storytelling, i don´t have the patience for that kind of stuff, unless it´s skipable.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I almost always do that. I don't think a lot of games are/were worthy of that full price and there are very few games that I bought shortly after launch (last one was Skyrim and boy did I regret not waiting for the Legendary Edition).

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Pyro Yuy said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
I only recently got Metro 2033 for £3 on sale and it was a wonderous surprise! On ranger mode it really feels like engaging survival and oozing atmosphere. I feel it is like the Dark souls of fps's. In fact i got the sequel today, it impressed me that much!
Check out the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. They are intense.
I have been wanting to for a bit actually, have heard positive things so far. I just need to transform my pc into a servicable gaming platform first, as the series isnt on any consoles as far as i know. If there could be a way to combine the atmosphere, brilliant ambience and overall polish of Metro 2033 with the everything else of the Fallout series, well that would be something to behold in oppressively dreaded delight!

Added note: Metro last light is not the survivalist experience that the first one is. The ranger mode is completely different and seems tacked on instead of being a core gameplay element. The engine somehow makes everything feel less atmospheric and more COD inspired. With added spunkgargleweewee for good measure! I could go on about this for quite a while, but in short, the sequel is not worthy to be associated with 2033. I may try ranger hardcore but i dont feel it will create that desired experience somehow. Ohh well!

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Without a large sum to devote to games, grabbing bargains in sales makes sense. A new game comes out and wait three to six months to pick it up is sensible. Gaming is an expensive past time, so save where you can. If I had a PS4, The Order would be on my wait list, as its not vital to play, a pretty cool looking but short single player game at full price. Besides the base pricing of games in general, DLC usually comes to sting us later on.

Adding in the hours of stuff you get can weigh a game in your favour. I don't have Skyrim, but if I saw it in a Steam sale for peanuts, I'd invest in it, knowing the hours that can be spent in it. Skyrim has been out for a while and made its money back. Its great to give devs a boost, but sales of any game dip over a long tale of time. While new games need time to make their money, devs should think carefully about what they put in the box.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I'm always broke. I usually wait till GOTYEs drop to $20 a year or two down the line before I play them. I only just got Skyrim last July.

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
I do that with practically every game, though honestly something like The Order I wouldn't even consider buying if it was cheap.

The only game I'm really considering buy for full price, and it'll be the first one in a while, is The Phantom Pain (Though I may cave in on Hyperdimension Neptunia Re; Birth 2 and 3, I love Nep-Nep)

Oct 22, 2011
DizzyChuggernaut said:
I don't even buy games that I actually want to play until a couple of years down the line when they're on sale. £40 for a new release might be cheap compared to how costly games were in the past, but to be honest I mostly play older games anyway.

The best purchase I have made in the last few years was Rayman Legends which was £20 I believe. On the other hand I would have never bought Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider or Dishonored at their launch prices, even if they are great games.

I'm just shit at being a consumer I guess.
Pretty much the same, though reasons for my thriftiness changed over time.

In the beginning it was because game prices in my country were inflated, compared to 'normal' price tags in the west, so i had to buy games that were sold in those El Cheap-o Editions, or that were added as a bonus to gaming mags.

Nowadays(thanks to shops like steam, gog, or humblestore and lack of time) i see no point in buying games at full price, since it'd be probably already on sale once i'll have time to play it.

Oh, and i tend to wait for inevitable GotY editions. Feeling like i'm missing out on content irks me.

So in summary: Old habits + no time = me almost never paying full price. Sorry devs.

PS.Almost, cause last year i've bought Stick of the Truth, and that's only casue a)i was a fan of the show b)for some reason it was really reasonably for a premiere title here.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
DrunkOnEstus said:
Basically, I don't understand this line of thinking too much, and it tells me that there might be a lot of people who want to eventually own/play every game they can as long as it isn't broken or complete shit.
Yes.

DrunkOnEstus said:
If (for example) The Order doesn't seem enjoyable enough to drop $60 on (or whatever ungodly Australian amount it is), why would it be worth your time at $20? Or even $5?
When you go to a 5 star restaurant, you expect more than a cheeseburger and some cold fries. Likewise, when you go to your cheap burger joint of choice, you expect a greasy unhealthy salty mess that makes you feel full.

The price influences your appreciation of things. That's a fact.

K-lusive

May 15, 2014
I tend to do it the other way around: "I'll buy it because it's cheap" (assuming it's my kinda game). Waiting for a game to drop in price will make me forget I anna keep an eye out for it. If I do see it for a fiver in the Steam store I tend to think 'Hey! Been meaning to try that!'

Not an answer to your question, OP, but just another point of view to be considered.