I'm an American, how can I get my hands on British chocolate?

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
If your looking for brand chocolate, then as many people have said Cadbury's is a safe bet.

On the other hand, if your looking for chocolate bars then see if you can find Boosts, Double Deckers, KitKat Chunkies, Wispas or Aero (especially the mint ones). Yorkie is a solid choccy bar as well, but as mentioned above you can't eat it if your a girl. Somethings womenkind was not meant to know.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Colour Scientist said:
kris40k said:
tippy2k2 said:
Typing randomly into Google, I found this American site

http://www.ukgoods.com/british-english-irish-candy.html#.VSAl6fnF9Pw

Although I would question how could it be better? Maybe their cheap chocolate doesn't use "fake" chocolate like our chocolate here (that's why they would call it so much better) in 'Merica but how can actual chocolate candy here taste worse than actual chocolate in the UK? Are you sure you're just not buying shitty chocolates in 'Merica?
Too bad the gamer girls can't enjoy a nice Yorkie bar. What the hell, you limey misogynists!

Don't worry about us...

If tv adverts are anything to believe, women have a hegemony on maltesers too. It's the yoghurt of the chocolate world.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
Although I would question how could it be better? Maybe their cheap chocolate doesn't use "fake" chocolate like our chocolate here (that's why they would call it so much better) in 'Merica but how can actual chocolate candy here taste worse than actual chocolate in the UK? Are you sure you're just not buying shitty chocolates in 'Merica?
Come to Europe and have some chocolate from any European country, you'll realise just how badly America gets hosed when it comes to chocolate.

The major difference is sugar and chocolate content, the former is much higher whilst the latter is much lower in US made chocolate, assuming it's made with real sugar at all and not HFCS.

In fact, get on that website and order yourself some Bourneville, also some Monster Munch while you're at it.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I really do not like either US or British chocolates. I prefer to make my own and add my own pecans, almonds, and walnuts. Teuscher is good though if you do not want to take the time to make it yourself. They also have healthier options available for Hypoglycemic and diabetic patients.

rdaleric

Jan 22, 2009
http://metro.co.uk/2015/02/08/british-chocolate-to-be-banned-from-america-after-trademark-dispute-between-hershey-and-cadbury-5054183/
Maybe not that many places soon...

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Lightspeaker said:
Ryotknife said:
makes fun of American chocolate as not real chocolate, then suggests AN AMERICAN CHOCOLATE.

WHAT IS THIS?

you know, im starting to see a pattern here. Im thinking half the reason for the whole "crappy American products" is because you guys appropriate all of our good stuff, much like when i learned that many UK escapists thought that Ford was a British car company.
I'm not "making fun" of anything. That's something that actually really happened. Hershey's Milk Chocolate almost made me throw up. It had this weird greasy flavour to it.

And whilst people are talking import bans I'm going to go on a tangent and express how strange I find it that you guys apparently can't get proper haggis over there.
Hate to inform you, but that strange, greasy flavour American chocolate has? It's a chemical often found in vomit. The reason is that without that chemical, the chocolate wouldn't last a second in their weather, so they use that. Hence why the Brits often find American chocolate to be literally gag-worthy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
tippy2k2 said:

As a Brit, I tried a Hershey bar once... then I started a charity to aid those less fortunate than myself. :D

I'm all seriousness, it was... gritty, and pretty tasteless. I don't know how else to describe it, but it wasn't like any other chocolate I'd tasted. I don't know how differently it's made, but I'd wager the culprit is more likely sub-standard ingredients.

OP: Pretty much anything with the Cadbury or Galaxy label on it. That's specifically the Brit stuff though. You want the Class A shit? Go to the Swiss or the Belgians.
IIRC, Hershey made chocolate for the US military, and were told not to make it too nice, because the troops would just eat it for the taste, rather than a good source of energy. Apparently they succeeded too well.

(Ok, that was many years ago, and things have changed, but still)

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
L. Declis said:
Hate to inform you, but that strange, greasy flavour American chocolate has? It's a chemical often found in vomit. The reason is that without that chemical, the chocolate wouldn't last a second in their weather, so they use that. Hence why the Brits often find American chocolate to be literally gag-worthy.
What are you even talking about?

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
thaluikhain said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
tippy2k2 said:

As a Brit, I tried a Hershey bar once... then I started a charity to aid those less fortunate than myself. :D

I'm all seriousness, it was... gritty, and pretty tasteless. I don't know how else to describe it, but it wasn't like any other chocolate I'd tasted. I don't know how differently it's made, but I'd wager the culprit is more likely sub-standard ingredients.

OP: Pretty much anything with the Cadbury or Galaxy label on it. That's specifically the Brit stuff though. You want the Class A shit? Go to the Swiss or the Belgians.
IIRC, Hershey made chocolate for the US military, and were told not to make it too nice, because the troops would just eat it for the taste, rather than a good source of energy. Apparently they succeeded too well.

(Ok, that was many years ago, and things have changed, but still)
kinda a shame really, the founder was such a swell guy. He didnt just want a successful company, he wanted a community he would be proud of making. He paid his workers well and made sure to have leisure activites that the town could enjoy. He donated all of his money (and 30% of Hersheys future profits) to a school for orphans which is now the richest school in the country.

Apr 5, 2008
WhiteNachos said:
I've heard lots of people say that British chocolate can wipe the floor with American chocolate. So I want to try it without actually having to visit the UK for budget reasons. Anyone know of a site or a method so that I can get it delivered to my house (or maybe there's a store that sells it)?

Also what's a good brand of British chocolate? I can't even name a brand much less know which ones are good?

And I guess is there any other non-American candy that's worth getting>?
Depending on where you live, you may be able to find some stores that specifically stock products from overseas. The chances of finding one are obviously higher in the metropolitan areas but it can be surprising to find many stores carrying products from abroad.

If you can find a store, some of the nicest things we have here:

- McVities Chocolate Digestives (chocolate topped biscuits (I think you call them cookies), Jaffa Cakes.
- Mars: Twix, Snickers, (blue) Bounty
- Nestlé: Kit Kat, Lion Bar, Yorkie
- Cadbury: Whole Nut, Dairy Milk, Flake, Double Decker
- (Mars) Galaxy: Any you can find, they're the best milk chocolate bar none. Galaxy Caramel is sooooo good.

The reason for the different taste is the additives and preservatives American companies use. The issue is down to climate and transportation. Since much of the USA is quite warm (at least for much of the year), they use a lot of preservatives to essentially raise the melting point of the chocolate so it's easier to transport and store, and with the distance required to transport goods across the country, they are less perishable too. The downside tho is that Hershey's and the like really don't taste that nice, particularly compared with European counterparts. (I do quite like Hershey's Milk Chocolate with Almonds tho, but that's probably just because of the almonds!).

For what it's worth, Australian chocolate is even worse, bordering on horrid. The amount of stuff they put in the chocolate drastically changes the taste, texture and even colour.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Pyrian said:
L. Declis said:
I think he's referring to this:

Everywhere but at home, American milk chocolate ? specifically Hershey's ? is known for its tangy or sour flavor, produced by the use of milk that Landuyt refers to as "acidified." Although Hershey's process has never been made public (and a spokeswoman declined to comment on its techniques), experts speculate that Hershey's puts its milk through controlled lipolysis, a process by which the fatty acids in the milk begin to break down.

This produces butyric acid, also found in Parmesan cheese and the spit-up of babies; other chocolate manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates. It has a distinctive tang that Americans have grown accustomed to and now expect in chocolate. "I can't think of any other reason why people would like it," said Whinney, of Theo Chocolate.
Source, [http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/travel/13iht-13chocolate.10014453.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0] about midway down the second page.

Also, this guy [http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/3268.html] has a good run down on the history and some of the processes of making chocolate, for anyone interested.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Supahewok said:
Pyrian said:
L. Declis said:

Everywhere but at home, American milk chocolate ? specifically Hershey's ? is known for its tangy or sour flavor, produced by the use of milk that Landuyt refers to as "acidified." Although Hershey's process has never been made public (and a spokeswoman declined to comment on its techniques), experts speculate that Hershey's puts its milk through controlled lipolysis, a process by which the fatty acids in the milk begin to break down.

This produces butyric acid, also found in Parmesan cheese and the spit-up of babies; other chocolate manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates. It has a distinctive tang that Americans have grown accustomed to and now expect in chocolate. "I can't think of any other reason why people would like it," said Whinney, of Theo Chocolate.
Source, [http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/travel/13iht-13chocolate.10014453.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0] about midway down the second page.

Also, this guy [http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/3268.html] has a good run down on the history and some of the processes of making chocolate, for anyone interested.
I still don't understand the bit about the weather. I was under the assumption that the USA has a really wide variety of weather, including seasons. You know, same as the rest of the world. What specifically is the butyric acid help with, then?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
DoPo said:
Supahewok said:
Pyrian said:
L. Declis said:

I still don't understand the bit about the weather. I was under the assumption that the USA has a really wide variety of weather, including seasons. You know, same as the rest of the world. What specifically is the butyric acid help with, then?
Yeah, I have no idea what the crack about the weather is. I know that in the past, research was spent trying to find ways to preserve chocolate in tropical heat, (and although the South doesn't quite get there, it is an uncomfortable temperature for chocolate to try to stay in one piece) whilst still having a low enough melting point to melt in your mouth, but that problem was solved just a few years ago and didn't involve butyric acid. Still, maybe its inclusion was based on old research and just became tradition over time?

I can't find any uses for butyric acid for that purpose though. I think the guy just got a couple of his facts turned around.

Truth be told, I can't find anything as to WHY Hershey thinks butyric acid is a vital component of their chocolate, but I CAN find several sources speculating that its in there nonetheless. Its really quite baffling. I've just accepted that Hershey is the AntiChrist for ruining my country's chocolate and sustain myself on foreign yummies.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Ryotknife said:
Probably because there isnt much of a Scottish...what is the word im looking for...diaspora(?) over here even though they make up roughly 10% (slightly under) of the population. You will see heavy Irish, Polish, Italian, German, English, and French influence, but not Scottish.
No I don't mean that. I mean you literally CANNOT GET IT. Its against the law to sell it in the US because it contains sheep lung; which is a prohibited foodstuff.

And they put butyric acid in their chocolate? No wonder it tastes weird. >_>

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
DoPo said:
Supahewok said:
Pyrian said:
L. Declis said:

shot in the dark, but even with the wide variation in weather, it is still hotter on average than UK/europe. For example, if you compare average temperature data from:

http://www.ny.com/general/weather.html

http://www.holiday-weather.com/london/averages/

You will see that London has generally colder weather in the summer than NY, which is one of our coldest states (only Alaska and Maine beat us). NY, however, has a much colder winter. The UK has much more moderate temperatures both cold and hot compared to the US. According to that data, London has a variance of 12 celsuis, whereas NY has a variance of 25 celsuis between its hottest and coldest temperatures.

In the South, it is not uncommon for it to be below 0 C in the morning and hit roughly 28C in the afternoon.

Interestingly enough, the only state that has a summer similiar in terms of temp to London is Alaska (EDIT: Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire too). Just dont expect their winters to be similiar >_>.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Lightspeaker said:
Ryotknife said:
Probably because there isnt much of a Scottish...what is the word im looking for...diaspora(?) over here even though they make up roughly 10% (slightly under) of the population. You will see heavy Irish, Polish, Italian, German, English, and French influence, but not Scottish.
No I don't mean that. I mean you literally CANNOT GET IT. Its against the law to sell it in the US because it contains sheep lung; which is a prohibited foodstuff.

And they put butyric acid in their chocolate? No wonder it tastes weird. >_>
I...actually didnt know that. It appears that all livestock lungs are banned as prohibited foodstuff due to safety concerns.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Ryotknife said:
DoPo said:
Supahewok said:
Pyrian said:
L. Declis said:

shot in the dark, but even with the wide variation in weather, it is still hotter on average than UK/europe. For example, if you compare average temperature data from:

You will see that UK has generally colder weather in the summer than NY, which is one of our coldest states (only Alaska and Maine beat us). NY, however, has a much colder winter. The UK has much more moderate temperatures both cold and hot compared to the US. According to that data, London has a variance of 12 celsuis, whereas NY has a variance of 25 celsuis between its hottest and coldest temperatures.

In the South, it is not uncommon for it to be below 0 C in the morning and hit roughly 28C in the afternoon.
Then I can just bring up Europe as a whole and we could be done.

But besides, even with temperatures as high as 29 in New York, that's not higher than all temperatures in the UK. Sure, it's not likely to get those and it's only going to be for, say, a week but even so, it would mean that chocolate "does not work" for those days. Something that seems like it should be handled the same as the USA but it isn't.

I don't really think holds up. As I said, there is also Europe - it kinda sorta has these parts where it gets warmer than the UK. They are collectively known as "outside the UK"[footnote]Joke, of course - northern parts are cooler - Norway, Finland, for example, and Russia is known to get quite freezing. Perhaps unsurprisingly the more you move South the warmer it gets - Spain and Greece, for example are known to be QUITE HOT compared to the UK. [/footnote]

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
DoPo said:
Ryotknife said:
DoPo said:
Supahewok said:
Pyrian said:
L. Declis said:

You will see that UK has generally colder weather in the summer than NY, which is one of our coldest states (only Alaska and Maine beat us). NY, however, has a much colder winter. The UK has much more moderate temperatures both cold and hot compared to the US. According to that data, London has a variance of 12 celsuis, whereas NY has a variance of 25 celsuis between its hottest and coldest temperatures.

Then I can just bring up Europe as a whole and we could be done.

But besides, even with temperatures as high as 29 in New York, that's not higher than all temperatures in the UK. Sure, it's not likely to get those and it's only going to be for, say, a week but even so, it would mean that chocolate "does not work" for those days. Something that seems like it should be handled the same as the USA but it isn't.

I don't really think holds up. As I said, there is also Europe - it kinda sorta has these parts where it gets warmer than the UK. They are collectively known as "outside the UK"[footnote]Joke, of course - northern parts are cooler - Norway, Finland, for example, and Russia is known to get quite freezing. Perhaps unsurprisingly the more you move South the warmer it gets - Spain and Greece, for example are known to be QUITE HOT compared to the UK. [/footnote]
True, but i am talking about average temperature, 28 C is not the highest temperature NY will actually experience. It would be nice if it never got above 28 C, but it often goes above 28C.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/08/summer-2014-is-coldest-in-a-decade/

Now keep in mind, 2014 was one of the coldest summers we have had in a decade with only 3 days that are 90 F (32C) or above. Typically we have 15 days 90 F (32C) or above. Even a few days at 35-37 C every year is not uncommon. And keep in mind NY is on the colder end of the spectrum. you are completely correct that countries like Greece, Italy, Spain (really anything south of Italy) does get quite hot.

But, atleast from what im seeing, the majority of Europe is quite temperate.

EDIT: btw OP if you are reading this, Wegmans sells british (and other foreign) chocolate in their exotic section. I saw Milka, Aeros, and coffee crisp.