I'm Bored?Let's (Actually) make a game!!!!!

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
im a java coder extraordinaire (atleast i can do lots of stuff on it, favorite language, im like a fish in the water when im programming in java)

can also defend myself when it comes to C++, Ruby, Android and i know a good deal of databases and SQL

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Looks like there are a good number of people signing up on the spreadsheet which is good. I started an escapist group

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Game-Dev-Group

Join up, I think I might have to approve people so the first thing I'll need is volunteers to be group admins.

After we get people signed up for the group we can assign "hats" in our virtual studio. Unless someone objects I'm going to dictatorially assign myself "producer" which is the guy who makes sure shit gets done.

My tentative plan goes like this:

1. assemble everyone's contact info, skill set, and availability inventory
2. organize meetings and channels of communication
3. hold meeting(s) to decide the direction of the project
4. narrow down the project proposals to the intersection of "interesting" and "doable"
5. have the group vote on project ideas and confirm buy in

Once we decide on a project we can assign creative and production roles.

So sign up for the group and add your info to the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3jIUtk1LCjjT-Pntxn-R5r92-vmBqVsZNYjNVT6Xrw/edit#gid=0

I'm hoping to get everyone who is interested in the project in the group by wednesday or thursday of next week so we can plan our first meeting for sometime that weekend.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Looks like there are a good number of people signing up on the spreadsheet which is good. I started an escapist group

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Game-Dev-Group

Join up, I think I might have to approve people so the first thing I'll need is volunteers to be group admins.

After we get people signed up for the group we can assign "hats" in our virtual studio. Unless someone objects I'm going to dictatorially assign myself "producer" which is the guy who makes sure shit gets done.

My tentative plan goes like this:

1. assemble everyone's contact info, skill set, and availability inventory
2. organize meetings and channels of communication
3. hold meeting(s) to decide the direction of the project
4. narrow down the project proposals to the intersection of "interesting" and "doable"
5. have the group vote on project ideas and confirm buy in

Once we decide on a project we can assign creative and production roles.

So sign up for the group and add your info to the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3jIUtk1LCjjT-Pntxn-R5r92-vmBqVsZNYjNVT6Xrw/edit#gid=0

I'm hoping to get everyone who is interested in the project in the group by wednesday or thursday of next week so we can plan our first meeting for sometime that weekend.
Sounds awesome. I'm happy with you taking producer role, since you seem to be the one able to collate everyone's information and such... I'm thinking, though, about other executive roles such as director. I'm tempted to say that once the idea and direction of the game have been selected, the person responsible for creating those should be termed 'director' or something along those lines: sort of the top level person creatively, anyway.

Not gonna lie, I'm getting genuinely pretty excited for this.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
I wouldn't mind helping a hand here. I'm quite proficient with Blender, 3D, animating, video editing and textures; next is GIMP for most things 2D, though for animating it I prefer using Blender; I also dabble with music and sound, LMMS and Audacity are my tools of choice; my favorite coding language is Python, but I can use Java quite well too.

Let me know if and when you need any of this.

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
if anyone is interested at this point, join the group and add your info to that linked google doc. keep your ideas for the group conversations and we'll vote on the concepts.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I can do mechanics and balancing if you want, I can't really code but I've played enough games to see into and understand their underlying mechanics that I can work with a coder to make the game awesome.

i.e. Should momentum be implemented to the character's moment? How long of a delay between a gun firing and the bullet hitting the other side, should there be a delay? When a character jump, how long should he floats; should his jump be physic base? How long different attack stuns? How long cooldown of skills?

All the things mentioned above can make or break a game, and different games requires different types of the mechanics mentioned above.

Edit: unfortunately I can't join the group, google is blocked in my country, I guess I'm out. But I wished you guys all the best.

Thomas McMullin

Aug 1, 2014
ExtraDebit said:
Edit: unfortunately I can't join the group, google is blocked in my country, I guess I'm out. But I wished you guys all the best.
No worries. I started a Forum for us all to chat on.

http://w11.zetaboards.com/GameDevExperiment/index/

See you there!

Bla914ck

Jun 5, 2013
I would love to help Im a pretty decent writer and Have done some VO and audio mixing work before (radio). Ive also had an idea ive been working solo on just a concept really though

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I am interested in this project and would be willing to help where able, but I really can't guarantee that much time - I'm starting my Master's in September and am also looking right now for potential areas for a PhD. Should I put down my contact details anyway?

For reference, I'm a programmer. Lots of experience in C and Java, and more recently in Python as well. Also have bits of experience in C++, C#, PHP, Oracle and SQLite. Game engines wise, I have some experience using Unity3D (though really not that much) and used the Panda3D engine this past year to make a video game as part of my course.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Thoughtful_Salt said:
For those of you who have been around a long time on these forums, you may recall a similar thread i made here a year ago. That project didn't end up happening (not assigning blame) but I did get some great music to use in other projects out of it. Regardless, I still want to make (or help make) a game, preferably with me as a composer/sound designer on the project.

Are you up to try something fun?

Edit: This is a brainstorm and then create thing

Edit 2: Wowee, we have a lot more support than last time. it seems the helpful poster rembrandtqeinstein has created a document to collect everyone interested in helping in to one place

I made a google doc where people and put their contact info and also game ideas

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3jIUtk1LCjjT-Pntxn-R5r92-vmBqVsZNYjNVT6Xrw/edit?usp=sharing

The doc is public so anyone can edit it. Once we have everyone's info I'll make it private again.

Thomas mcmullin has also collected a small list of people interested in helping out:

Thomas McMullin said:
While a lot of these sound like fantastic concepts. My only concern is there aren't as many coders as there are other interested parties. Rembrandtqeinstein seems like he'd be the fella able to become the head of Devs, if not because of experience, but because of availability. But this could turn out to be a lot of work if we try to start from scratch. I think the best idea is to find something that we can build on, like Multimedia Fusion, or RPG Maker, so those talented fellas that want to volunteer as a coder can focus on making what we have awesome, rather than trying to make something basic, then turning that into something awesome.

I'll collect everyone in a list plus their interests.

Coders (Most important. )

Rembrandtgeinstein (game mechanics and programmatic visual effects/animation)
Thedarklord197 (Java)
TheSYLOH (Extensive C experience, Decent Android and Java experience. Other commitments take priority. (Which totally makes sense.))
indigo945 (In descending order of proficiency: -Python -Java (not a fan) -C# -Racket -C)

Idea/Writers

Thomas McMullin (Also interested in map design/level layout.)
Bertylicious (Also interested in Voice acting)
Witty Name Here

Music

Thoughtful_Salt
Snappydog (Also Voice Acting, Writing)

Artist

Gundam GP01
Twosage (Also interested in idea/writing)
Saetha(Also willing to write.)

Voice Acting

God'sFist (Also would help with writing)
Chairman Miaow

Unspecified skill set/interest

iwinatlife
Mathew Losefsky
Veloper
Thyunda
Wow, plenty of interest already, personally I literally just noticed this thread but I'm already very interested to join in :). I'm a writer first and foremost, but also very interested in level design, if you want to see any of my writing then drop me a line and I can send you the links (no previous actual level design experience outside stuff like Halo Forge and the like, but I've taught myself the basics using things like Terragen, Tiled, and Game Maker, and so on...).

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
I've just finished my 3rd year of university and we were using java every year so I know that kinda ok if thats any use :)

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
I'd like to help, but i fell like i'd be fairly useless, just for some context i am currently 17 and i haven't lived long enough to specialize in anything
I've dabbled in a bunch of things, but nothing serious
I can draw, i am currently the best in my class, but i'm still an amateur
I can write, i have a lot of fun writing essays and i've shown them to other people and they like my sense of humor, but the only thing i've written in english is a fanfiction that has only gotten like 5 views since i published it like a year ago

I play a lot of videogames(but who doesn't in this forum?), so i might be able to give gameplay suggestions(and suggestions in general)

I am also a grammar nazi and somewhat obsessive, so the one thing i might be useful for is proofreading

Thomas McMullin

Aug 1, 2014
http://w11.zetaboards.com/GameDevExperiment/index/

I look forward to seeing all of you folks on the forum. Even if your contribution is small, it's still helping, and that'll be great. I feel like what ever game we churn out will be a lot of fun in the making of.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Well, if you need any kind of help with ideas, I may can help out.

Also I use photoshop to draw, but not very good like some others.
Here are some examples:

So if you like a little help for me, add me to the list as well please.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Btw, and Idea I had, but never get to fully draw a lot of things for it is "Cat Smuggler 2013"

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
I opened Game maker up a year ago, sat down and did what I could, ended up with a very tiny, but functioning top down tank game, which wth I can't seem to find on my computer atm. It was very simple though, nothing worth really talking about, and it had a damn glitch/bug I didn't account for, driving tank into a wall and then turning would result in the tank sprite overlapping the wall sprite, which resulted in the tank getting stuck, lovely.

But anyways. A game idea could be like,

Reverse Mario. Instead of being the hero going from castle to castle trying to rescue a princess, you are the big bad. Big bad goes to the princess's castle, fighting her guards along the way there (the opening levels), fight your way inside the castle, but then, when you get to the end and defeat her royal guards it turns out she's in another castle, you see, one of the neighboring kingdoms princesses was having a birthday party, so she's over there. Darn. So, you, the big bad, fight through the next for locations/areas/levels and get to that castle, only to find that they went out for the party, like bowling or something, wtf? So then, the next level/stage is pounding through some more beautiful scenery as you go in search of the princess at the new location given. But then, when you get there, they already left and started going home. So you return to the first castle, but she didn't show up, and instead got kidnapped by another bad guy. Sigh. So, next, is go to the bad guy and get the princess for yourself. Course when you get there the hero has already saved her and they've left, so, now you chase them. And it could keep going for a few more levels like that.

Gameplay wise it could have elements of many different games. Like Mario platformer, or a beat em up, a RPG, change the setting and turn it into a side scrolling shooter. What ev.

Nirmithrai

Aug 4, 2014
Niiice... Thats a good concept actually. It adds the humour quotient too.
You should post this in the forum too. Then we can consider it for the polls