I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled today...

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
I had my wisdom teeth pulled last year. I'm not going to lie to you; it's gonna hurt...bad. I got them pulled (it was more like drilled, scraped, cracked, and broken, but you know what I mean) without being put under. They tried to inject a numbing drug using the sharpest syringe I've ever had the displeasure of being near and they had to give me 8-10 shots. To be honest, even remembering it all makes me queasy and disturbed.

The pain is bad, but you shouldn't be scared. Just be ready because there will be pain.

Sep 14, 2009
anything outside my mouth that involves pain i can easily deal with, but when it comes to teeth i fucking hate the dentist with a passion, so when i learned that all my wisdom teeth grew in perfectly and i didn't need to get them pulled i was overjoyed, so hopefully they do it right for you and you get better soon =]

(seriously i fucking hate the dentist, they shoot me up like 8 times with numbing stuff and it never fucking works, so anytime shit happens i always feel it to the core)

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
antidonkey said:
Just enjoy the drugs.

I had mine out when I was 18. Took a little over an hour. No muss no fuss. I did sleep off the 10 pound lip issue though. After that, Just popped painkillers whenever I felt the pain start to rise. No complications or dry socket or anything. Everything went smoothly. Don't sweat it, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Yeah, you're probably right. This thread kind of exploded in a way I never would have thought. I really only created it out of nervousness and fear of the unknown.

Thanks to the many people in this thread such as yourself as well as those whom I really can't quote all of though, my concerns have been certainly lessened, to a degree.

Araksardet said:
And watch crumby food - you DO NOT want an abscess. My uncle had one of those - ouch.
I'm guessing that is another term for a dry socket? Sorry, I'm not up to speed on dental conditions...

captaincabbage said:
Don't worry, it's not really as barbaric as it was in the old days. My brother got them done a few years back, apparently all they do it drill and partially hollow out your tooth, then smash it into little pieces and tear the pieces out from the mouth.

See! Nothing barbaric at all! No need to fear.
Oh joy. That sounds lovely. Next thing I know I'll get there and they'll all be wearing leather vests and looking at me with menacing grins, whilst holding their dental tools.

rmb1983 said:
Having your Wisdoms pulled actually is a lot more horrific-sounding than it actually is.

Your dentist may prescribe a different painkiller, but the most common is Tylenol 3 (codine tends to knock a lot of people right out, once it kicks in; this is true of me). Your routine will likely end up along the lines of:
1) Wake up.
2) Put on ice pack sling (or whatever is used now, it's been 10 years since I got mine out).
3) Pop pills.
4) Eat something soft and smooth (this is one of the few times in your life you can get away with eating pudding at all hours of the day, milk it!).
5) <insert low-impact activity here> until the T3s get you back to sleep.
6) Repeat 1-5. Late evening and early morning, throw in a gargle with a salt-water slurry.

Honestly, complications are pretty few and far between. The whole experience is more of a pain in the ass than a pain in your mouth, unless you're one of the small few who get compacted Wisdom Teeth. Just keep up on the painkillers they gave you, derive sustenance through a pudding/soup (or something similar in texture and consistency) medium, and make sure to follow directions for keeping your mouth properly cleaned to a T. The reason getting Wisdoms pulled is so frightening is because of people not following their oral surgeon's advice on properly cleaning the area, and infections are horrifying.

Good luck.

P.S.: My oral surgeon also happened to be my physics professor's brother, so I also enjoyed the benefit of being chided for sleeping an hour and a half in the chair after the anesthesia wore off, drooling the entire time.
What can I say? I love naps.
Thank you for the advice. It's really because of people like you as well as the other great suggestions in this thread as to why I feel much better than I did an hour or so ago.

ColdStorage said:
Think of something nice during the procedure *checks Z's Navi's avatar*, LIKE GENERAL GREVIOUS! HE'S NICE!
"...but the loss of Count Dooku...!!"

[small]He is just a big softie. Well, his organs are anyway.[/small]

Impluse_101 said:
-Snipped for cleanliness-

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
The plus side to all this is you're likely going to get vicodin (don't let them pawn off 800mg Ibuprophen on ya make them give you actual pain killers as well) and I can personally tell you after wrecking on my motorcycle that there is nothing quite like a couple days of gaming in a vicodin induced haze. The blinding agony between the drugs wearing off and kicking back in again was kind of a downer though.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Are your wisdom teeth completely visible or are they still somewhat entrenched in your gums? 'Cause if they are it'll result in some cuttin'.

When the time comes for me wisdom teeth to go, they'll probably have to cut half my mouth open.
Oh, likewise. Well, one of them, anyway. Just a teensy-tiny corner poking out. Which means I can't brush, floss, or otherwise maintain it, which meant it kinda decayed nicely. My perfect lack of fillings, ruined by one mischievous little bastard of a tooth...

ikey

Apr 19, 2010
For me at least, the surgery was great. I felt normal, but I was totally out of it and don't even really remember what happened, other than there being no pain. Once the numbness wears off, you'll want to have already taken some pain meds. It's worst the first few days, but it gets better quickly as long as you keep your teeth clean. I just got them removed about a week or two ago, there's no more pain at all, but it's still a nuisance in some ways.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I had all 4 taken out at once, the bottom two were entrenched and 90 degrees sideways (so they were facing foreward instead of upward), so the dentist had to fillet my gumms, drill a hole in the teeth, and yank them out. After that; stitches.
I got localized freezing instead of being put to sleep regardless, because I'm a hardcore ************, ************.

Then with a face full of blood, mouth full of gauze, and the only drugs in my system some rapidly wearing off novocaine (novacaine? whatever that freezing stuff is) I went down the street to the video store and rented a dozen classic anime to pass the next couple of days, then drove myself home. The manager was the only one on duty, and he let me rent them for free.

A good meal replacement is an Ensure, some milk, a banana, and some ice cream blended together.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Ive had 2 pulled not at the same time though no trouble what so ever in either case.

my girlfriend has one of the teeth I didnt get to keep the seconed they crushed it and pulled the pieces out instead of just pulling it which was actually less comfortable than pulling it and I swear it took longer to heal.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I've had 2 teeth pulled, you won't really feel any pain. I was only half under so I could feel him poking around but I only got scared because I kind of forgot where I was. Anyway you'll be sore for a while after but a good sleep will do you good. I didn't feel any more pain after a few days, painkillers will help so make sure you have some at home.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
I had four impacted wisdom teeth pulled out when I was twenty. The first thing that sucks was that (as a smoker at the time) you can't have any cigarettes. You also have to eat soft foods and leave cotton in your mouth for awhile. You'll be on pain pills for a bit, and things won't feel right in your mouth for a few days, at least. Then, your girlfriend of three years breaks up with you ten minutes before her new boyfriend (a guy she slept with while you were at the dentist) shows up to move in. See, he doesn't have anywhere else to stay, and so he has to move in, and since she pays half the rent, this is somehow acceptable. Then they steal your last condom from your desk while you are crying on the porch, unsure of what just happened, and you go back inside and listen to them have sex through the thin wall separating you from the second bedroom. That night she comes into your room and wakes you up to tell you that you're still her best friend. As soon as you grasp at the sliver of hope, she starts talking about how this new guy makes her orgasm, something she was never able to achieve with you. When you tell her that you don't want to talk about that with her, she cries and says, "well who else am I supposed to talk to about it? You're my best friend!" The next day you threaten to call the cops in some vain attempt at sorting out this bizarre and awful situation. She moves out with him, but only a few apartments away, so of course, and against your better judgement, you start sleeping with her again. Two days later the new boyfriend catches you and gets in a fistfight with you. He punches you right in the teeth, and the pain pills the dentist gave you just aren't enough to relieve the pain of your newly swollen jaw or your broken heart. You go outside and have a cigarette, even though you weren't supposed to, and it causes your wounds to open and your gums to bleed. But at that point, who cares. What's the point of anything, anyway.

Yeah, don't get your wisdom teeth removed. It can sort of suck.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
I just got mine out last week. All four. I was like you, only a year older. I was super worried and nervous and feared everything going into it, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Don't worry, you won't remember a thing. Do what the doctor says afterwards, and your recovery should be easy.

I'm already eating pretty much what I want. I'm sure you'll be the same.

Oh, and take it easy the first day, right after you get them out. I thought I could do a lot more, and nearly made myself sick. Just stay home, take your meds, and sleep, and you'll be feeling much better the next day.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
When I got mine pulled, I was slightly nervous, but not too scared. All I know is that I fell asleep in a brown chair and woke up in a red one (and no it wasn't from blood. I checked). As for afterwards, well...I like ice cream.

Didn't even bother to get the pain medication perscription filled, since I don't use them.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
Z of the Na said:
Araksardet said:
And watch crumby food - you DO NOT want an abscess. My uncle had one of those - ouch.
I'm guessing that is another term for a dry socket? Sorry, I'm not up to speed on dental conditions...
Not quite; it's when you get crumbs caught in the mushy pulp where the tooth used to be. The wound sometimes heals around the crumbs and they can turn into an abscess (like a pus bag) and get infected, which is apparently very painful. I'm not 100% clear on the details myself, I just know a bit about the time my uncle had this problem after a wisdom tooth operation, when a piece of hamburger got sealed into the wound. In any case, rinse a lot after eating.

Jayjay21

Oct 29, 2009
Had my 4 wisdom teeth removed last week as my bottom two were coming in sideways.

The actual removal I was knocked out for, so that part was fine. I only had the gauze in my mouth for about an hour after I left, and by then the bleeding had stopped.

Just make sure you keep taking the meds for a few days at least, and it isn't that bad, your mouth will be sore, but a few days of relaxation makes it bearable.

Don't worry about food, I didn't have an appetite for the first 2 days, and after that I just had yoghurt and some pasta.

All in all, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
I would recommend that you make sure they knock you out. I had my wisdom teeth removed about 15 years ago. All I remember was sitting in the chair watching them put a needle in my arm. I woke up with no wisdom teeth and no pain. Didn't even swell up. Didn't even use any of the pain meds he gave me.

It may be that there were no complications (though I seem to remember him telling me that one of the teeth broke), but I think going to the right oral surgeon is key. My brother went to someone and his cheeks swelled up like he had two kiwi's in them.

Have a good absorbent towel nearby. I do remember drooling a bucket-load that first night.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Oh you poor little monkey! *completely serious, no sarcasm*

I am terrified of the dentist too. Getting your wisdom teeth out seem like the worst thing ever, but remember it's more like surgery so you will be on lots of meds. I was so scared I brought my teddy bear (i'm not kidding, I was 22) and was nearly in tears on the way over. I didn't really even know when it was happening though, all i felt was pressure on my gums when in reality my gums were so much ground beef. It seemed to last only a few minutes too, when my friend said in reality it had been almost two hours. It wasn't even remotely as bad as i thought it would be is what i'm saying. Bring a friend, (you will need one anyway, they won't let you walk out on your own all doped up) for emotional support.

What everyone is saying is pretty much true. Ignore the people who just came here to say horrific things about their own experiences and scare you.
rmb1983 said:
1) Wake up.
2) Put on ice pack sling (or whatever is used now, it's been 10 years since I got mine out).
3) Pop pills.
4) Eat something soft and smooth (this is one of the few times in your life you can get away with eating pudding at all hours of the day, milk it!).
5) <insert low-impact activity here> until the T3s get you back to sleep.
6) Repeat 1-5. Late evening and early morning, throw in a gargle with a salt-water slurry.
This is pretty much exactly what you have to look forward too. You are gonna have an awesome excuse for a while to be doped up on meds playing video games in your underwear. Recognize it, use it, love it!

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Wow, I'd say I wasn't aware that I was in the company of such girly people, but that would imply that girls have a lower pain threshold than guys.

Take it like a champ and get localized freezing.

Sep 17, 2009
Z of the Na said:
...and I am absolutely terrified. I'm 20 years old and this is the first time I have been legitimately afraid of the dentist. These wisdom teeth coming in are really messing up all of the work three years of braces accomplished. I suppose the pain will be alleviated to a great deal once this is all over, as I am in a fair amount of pain, but I am no less worried.

Would there be any advice my fellow Escapists could provide to ease a troubled mind? I've never had to go through anesthesia or surgery like this yet in my rational life. I'm scared, is all.
Had all four of mine taken out at once last year. Didn't need any pain medication and felt fine after 3 days. Ice your face and eat soft food. You'll be fine. Also anestesia Is nothing to worry about kinda cool an funny actually haha

TheGreatFedora

Mar 25, 2010
I actually just got mine removed last week, I'm 20 as well. The actual surgery isn't bad at all; you'll be numb afterwards, but that'll go away in a few hours. Also, you may not remember most of the day; I'm not entirely sure what they gave me to knock me out, it was some kind of warm blue liquid (sounds like sci-fi, right?), but I didn't remember a thing the day after the surgery, other than that I'm pretty sure I watched the Foo Fighters documentary when I got home. Pretty sure.

The food thing gets annoying, but it's alright. Baby food is surprisingly tasty, and get a variety of soups and you'll be fine. Also, T3s make you constipated, which blows, but you can get some re-fried beans, salsa, and cheese, cook it into a nice bean-y mush, and that'll help. Pretty tasty too.