I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled today...

rmb1983

I am the storm.
Mar 29, 2011
Siege_TF said:
Wow, I'd say I wasn't aware that I was in the company of such girly people, but that would imply that girls have a lower pain threshold than guys.

Take it like a champ and get localized freezing.
Most don't choose their procedure; it's primarily up to the surgeon, your medical history, and what they feel is the best option to speed up and alleviate your recovery.

That said, I call myself a "huge girl" all the time. You should see some of the shenanigans I pull with the First Aid forms at work! Cuts and burns happen (my handplant on the flattop is still a personal best), it's how you draw humour out of it that really makes it count!
Z of the Na said:
Damn, this thread exploded in a way I didn't think would. I'll be taking all suggestions into mind. I've read every post in this thread and I just want to personally thank everybody who gave their advice and experiences with having their wisdom teeth pulled.

...oh look, my ride is here to get this thing over with. Ugh.

Well, here I go. I probably won't remember the rest of the day. My brother is actually bringing his video camera to record the outcome of whatever wacky things I'll say when I come out of the surgery. That should be worth a laugh or two.

Thanks again everybody for the help. I'm off to have my mouth sliced open.

Farewell.
We all expect YouTube videos, especially during your attempts at talking on the first day. Everyone is different, but there will be some swelling, and it's just plain entertaining listening to people who puff up like a chipmunk. Don't forget something to drool on on your pillow; you'll thank yourself on Day 2.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Ahh, you'll be good. They'll knock you out, and a little while later, you'll be flyin' high! Fun times!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Z of the Na said:
...and I am absolutely terrified. I'm 20 years old and this is the first time I have been legitimately afraid of the dentist. These wisdom teeth coming in are really messing up all of the work three years of braces accomplished. I suppose the pain will be alleviated to a great deal once this is all over, as I am in a fair amount of pain, but I am no less worried.

Would there be any advice my fellow Escapists could provide to ease a troubled mind? I've never had to go through anesthesia or surgery like this yet in my rational life. I'm scared, is all.
Heh heh. Having my wisdom teeth pulled was the first--and only--surgery I've ever had. I was scared out of my mind too. Then I found out they were going to give me a shot. My voice sounded like a toddler's. "Are...are you going to give me a shot?"
"Yes dear. It won't hurt." I don't even remember them pulling the needle out. I saw it go into my arm, and the next thing I remember from that day is laying on my parents bed watching Slayers and the wolfman yelling, "Oh, just you wait till I come back to life!" and falling over dead. I had my teeth pulled in the early morning. Slayers wasn't on until 8 at night. The entire day is a blank. The surgery--if you remember any of it--will not be a problem. Recovering may be interesting. Different people recover in different ways. My friend was up and about the next day. I was still throwing up three days later, but in the end you'll be fine. And if you don't remember any of it, be sure to ask the people who took care of you what you were like. It's rather funny.

Duvans Mammor

Nov 8, 2010
Am I the only one who had a completely pain free removal? I got painkillers and then they used some kind of pliers and cracked the tooth and removed it. No pain and I could eat without a problem in the evening.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
it's gonna be terrible,
don't listen to anyone saying otherwise,just think of the worst bits of the Saw and Hostel movie and picture yourself being there,scared and lonely,with a maniac shoving an angle grinder into THE BONE ahhhhhhhhhhh!
have fun. :)

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
The Great JT said:
Look at it this way: afterwards, you get fantastic, fantastic drugs.
Agreed, that anestetic feels awsome!
It feels like your face is melting!
and you go all dizzy!

BTW it will hurt loads!
I joke it wont, it feels wierd as shit though and makes horrible noises.

EDIT:
Z of the Na said:
I agree that avatar is amazing!
Not as good as mine of course.

Snipermanic

Mar 1, 2008
I've had two teeth pulled, both times the injection obviously hurt.

The second time the dosage failed to sufficiently numb the gum. I have never felt such godlike pain. I raised my arm to signal for the dentist to stop, but he didn't saying it was "too late now".

Nothing like a bit of fear to calm you down, right?

Amnesiac Pigeon

Jul 14, 2010
I hope it doesnt hurt more than them trying to force their way out of the gum.

Mine are coming in and its fecking painful.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
I had my first tooth out two weeks ago and honestly the only pain medication that worked was marijuana, it numbed the pain and took the edge off the fact that every time I touched the whole with my tongue it hurt like a mother

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed a year and a half ago, when I was fourteen. It hurt like a son of a ***** the first day and night, after that it just bled slightly with no real pain to speak of. They had to dig them out, too! You have little to worry about.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I don't see what the problem is. They're going to numb the crap out of you, go in there, and pull the teeth out. They may saw the teeth and remove them in pieces.

After that they're going to tell you about the holes and warn you never to drink from straws or suck on the gums for a few days/weeks. If you suck on it, the blood clot will come out and you'll have to go back.

You're jaw will seize up and your mouth will only open a slit for a few days in a worse case scenerio. This will mean spoon feeding and liquids. Soup and Mt Dew. Oatmeal. When your mouth opens a little more, you'll graduate to fudge pops and other non-chewable edibles. Cold things will make you happy.

At the beginning of your recovery (after the wisdies are popped), you'll be in some sort of discomfort for about 4 days or less. They will give you pain killers for this, probably codeine. If you end up puking every 10 seconds, then you're having a negative reaction and you'll need to stop using it. You also wont want to get out of bed, so invest in movies or a good book.

It's not the end of the world and hardly a pain in life. Once they're gone and you're healed, you'll stop caring about it and continue living on.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 17. They say it gets tougher as you get older, but I don't think 3 years would make a difference. I did not get knocked out, and it really wasn't all that bad. I felt a ton of pressure, and maybe a tiny bit of pain, but the worst thing was anticipating the pain... that never really came. They should let you take an iPod, or some other music player in with you, so you might wanna ask about that. I was listening to After Midnight, as performed by Eric Clapton when it ended.

For me the worst part was recovery. THAT was miserable. With the pain meds, it wasn't all that painful, though. You've got to keep a ton of gauze in your mouth that prevents you from chewing, and makes swallowing a quite troubling task. When you do swallow you taste tons of blood. You've gotta keep pressure on the gauze by biting down on it pretty hard, thus causing pain (unless you're on pain killers, which you SHOULD BE).

And then you've got the stitches. These things are just supposed to fall off in your mouth. I think I ended up swallowing all of mine. That was fun.

I heard so many horror stories about getting my wisdom teeth pulled, but like getting a root canal, I think those stories are few & far between. I think it CAN be a terrible experience, but more likely it won't be all that bad.

Arfreid

Aug 13, 2009
Man, don't worry about that so much, it may be something you dont want, but it looks like its something you NEED.

Besides, its not like you are not going to have some painkillers to help you on the way, and you will feel much BETTER when you get through.

If possible I strongly recommend a good gaming session with a game that draws you in, like an RPG, puzzles or a good action/adventure. Don't play online while on medication though, for all the players sake.

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
The pain comes after the procedure. If they're gassing you, you won't feel or remember anything. I had mine taken out at 18. They put a mask over your nose, tell you to count to 100. You pass out, and what seems like 2 seconds later, you wake up with a numb mouth and your teeth are sitting in a tray beside you. It was really trippy for me. Like I said, any pain that you will feel occurs about 6 hours after the surgery. It's about 4~5 days of aching, then it's over.

You'll be fine bro, it's considered minor surgery. And when you wake up at first in the chair...you will feel AWESOME. You'll be higher than the price of petrol.

tooWhite2ball

Feb 2, 2011
I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out, but had the knockout drug. You will remember them asking what your favorite color is (mine is apparently green, but I know for a fact it's red), and you'll wake up in the car. Also a tip, make sure you actually have those cotton balls (gause?) in your mouth before you try to bite down...it is extremely painful if you don't.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Z of the Na said:
...and I am absolutely terrified. I'm 20 years old and this is the first time I have been legitimately afraid of the dentist. These wisdom teeth coming in are really messing up all of the work three years of braces accomplished. I suppose the pain will be alleviated to a great deal once this is all over, as I am in a fair amount of pain, but I am no less worried.

Would there be any advice my fellow Escapists could provide to ease a troubled mind? I've never had to go through anaesthesia or surgery like this yet in my rational life. I'm scared, is all.
anaesthesia? ha! I had nova-cane injected into my gums with a fat syringe then an orthodental surgeon put his knee in my chest and pulled the things out with pliers(or something similar)!

Didn't hurt much because of the nova-cane but the cracking sounds were awful, plus I was spitting mouthfuls of blood all the way home.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I had mine out and didn't have any trouble at all. Just be prepared to stab your lower lip with a fork...a lot.