I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled today...

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Essentially you're going to feel a little prick in your mouth, and then all will be fine. Keep dosed up on pain killers after the surgery, and if you feel any pain during the surgery let them know, dentists are usually pretty good about anesthetic. I had my incisors pulled to make room for wisdom teeth...i hate my dentist for that im a carnivore not a plant eater....

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Z of the Na said:
...and I am absolutely terrified. I'm 20 years old and this is the first time I have been legitimately afraid of the dentist. These wisdom teeth coming in are really messing up all of the work three years of braces accomplished. I suppose the pain will be alleviated to a great deal once this is all over, as I am in a fair amount of pain, but I am no less worried.

Would there be any advice my fellow Escapists could provide to ease a troubled mind? I've never had to go through anesthesia or surgery like this yet in my rational life. I'm scared, is all.
I know I am late to this thread but here is my $.02.

It really wasn't that bad. One second I was talking to the doctor about football and then the next second they knocked me out and before I knew it I awoke in the resting area. There wasn't much pain until the fifth and sixth day, but even as such I just watched House and ate ice cream all day. My brother got his taken out the same day as me and he felt even less pain.

If anything it is more annoying than painful. Your mouth will constantly be bleeding and you have to keep cotton stuck in your gums, which would cause my lips to fall asleep. Also, I couldn't eat anything solid for a good week.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
After actually going and getting the procedure done and now knowing just what happened, as well as enjoying a long nap, I've returned home. Most of the people in this thread were right: I remember nothing about the procedure itself and actually woke up in the resting area sobbing my eyes out and complaining that there was a robot in the room.

I have no idea why I was crying or why I thought there was a robot in the room.

I sit here now, a much more humble Escapist, Escapist. MY lower jaw is swollen to the point where I feel like I was punched right in the mouth. It's also numb, so eating and drinking are now a task rather than something easy that I enjoy. I was put to sleep, ala IV, and now use these gauze swabs that I shove to the sides of my mouth every 20 minutes or so.

Fun times.

I'd like to thank all the Escapists who provided such awesome advice in this thread today, for now I begin my slow recovery to normalcy. I thought I did relatively well for never being put under anesthesia before. Here's to you guys, heh.

[small]Mmm, Jello...[/small]