Improvements for Mass Effect 2

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
I'll be honest, Mass Effect was such a good playable movie, I'm terrified that 2 and 3 are going to pull a Pirates or a Matrix on us. I'm approaching the concept of a sequel with trepidation at best, terrified that we'll have all the standard sequel plot cliches.

That said, what I'd mainly like to see is for them to finish their original concepts from Mass Effect 1. See this trailer for details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOJ-hE527Q

Originally, you had individual squad positioning, the ability to control other squad members, a more dynamic conversation system, and a more open galaxy (plus a much cooler galaxy map). As good a game as Mass Effect was, a lot of it got left on the cutting room floor.

- J

cheesemaster

Mar 4, 2008
Hey, how about having no half-year wait and no shitty, shitty DRM AIDS for the PC version? That's make Mass Effect 2 great in my book.

captainwillies

Feb 17, 2008
1. the mini map system SUCKED. i liked the kotor one better. put fricken outlines on the damn thing. this would be my number 1 change for ME2 because the first time you play you have no idea of were to go and the only map thats usefull is the big map that needs to to pause the game to use, which really breaks up the action.

2. NO MELEE. even if I have the best armour in the game and/or the biotic barrier up it takes less then 3 attacks to kill me. this would be bearable but krogans love to melee and there is no way to knock a krogan over, you can only stop a krogan if it dies but if your on the last level up against a krogan warlord not even the carnage ability on your shotgun can take it down. so you end up runing backwards waiting for your friendly AI to take him down, its just to bad that there all IDIOTS. which brings me to my next point

3. better AI. its not hard. when Shepard is in a critical position get them to divert their fire onto the cause of the problem. that alone would make the AI 100 times better.

4. every single bunker on every single planet looks the same. sure the boxes and crates are in different positions but would it really take up that much time to bend a hallway or add another one in?

MGG=REVIEWS

Dec 2, 2007
I think they add the abbilty to call support from from your ship like more troops or the MAKO
beacuse all that ships does is take you places nothing else
you should be able to take part in space bttles like kotor maybe they were just a few ships attacking your ship but it still was a space battle
and should also test the AI because i dont know how many time a krogan just ran at me
maybe improve the sniping it just to small of a hud to actually snipe

i'll add more problems later

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I know it kinda goes against the basic principle of Mass Effect, but the Journal entries could be...well...a bit less wordy :-D

Inventry could make more sense too. i kinda picked it up with trial & error (assuming the bigger numbers meaan better gear :))

The planet car thing...I hated that. handled like crap & was no fun to fight in despite the planets insisting u do alot of just that.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
1. A longer story
2. Different endings
3. Better AI
4. Assignements that are different instead of the go there/checks whats wrong/blast evrything
5. Fix the text for Captain Anderson (Someone who just arrive and say "He Hates all human we must stop him" (It makes me think of the americans who really beleives the terrorsit attacked because they hate freedom)
6.Take out the 150 items limit
7. No endings that look like a bad action movie (the part Shepards comes out of the debris(Come on admit it... it was cheesy)

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Better inventory management.
Read off my save file.
Better vehicle sections.
Tone down the shotgun (seriously, there's no point having an assault rifle, as leveling up the shotgun would allow you to have a shotgun with assault rifle range).
Better side-missions

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
1. Make the different styles of play actually different. If I use the assault rifle, things should go differently than if I use the pistol. Perhaps the pistol gives you an advantage in close quarters combat (maybe even have a CQC component a la MGS3).
2. Make the sniper rifle more useful. Even at max rank in sniping, it becomes pretty useless when the rest of your guns outstrip it in terms of damage per second, and your assault rifle becomes almost 100% accurate
3. Take out the money component of unlocking the spectre weapons (or whatever the next-step awesome weapons is). Either make them expensive, but something you save up for, or make unlocking them based on some in-game story event (maybe even a side-quest).
4. Make the side-quests relevant. They sort of did this with the prestige classes, but do more. Instead of side quests having only some relevance to the main story (access to weapons, ect), have it be directly related. Side quests impact the story itself
5. When you apply an upgrade to your weapons, have that shown in the main weapon screen. If I use a heat-dampener, I want to know both how many more shots I get, and also how much more damage I do.
6. Make the difficult choices more involved. If you're going to have a character die, don't make it that one single choice killed him or her, make it that an entire series of choices (none of which make it clear that it kills them) lead into it.
7. If you keep at as a 1 choice = death situation, make it that there are different end results, even if you make the same choice. That way, on second and third playthroughs, it doesn't get boring.

MGG=REVIEWS

Dec 2, 2007
the expansoin didn't do i much favors but alot of poeple (like me) bought it in hopes that a new differnt style of planet comes into view but still the same thing

tagMaverick

Apr 30, 2008
tiredinnuendo said:
I'll be honest, Mass Effect was such a good playable movie, I'm terrified that 2 and 3 are going to pull a Pirates or a Matrix on us. I'm approaching the concept of a sequel with trepidation at best, terrified that we'll have all the standard sequel plot cliches.

That said, what I'd mainly like to see is for them to finish their original concepts from Mass Effect 1. See this trailer for details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOJ-hE527Q

Originally, you had individual squad positioning, the ability to control other squad members, a more dynamic conversation system, and a more open galaxy (plus a much cooler galaxy map). As good a game as Mass Effect was, a lot of it got left on the cutting room floor.

- J
That video is amazing. Change the interface and battle menu to that and it will be so much better!

The story was way too easy. On normal it was only about 10 hours, reaching about 15ish on Hardcore.

The ai was horrible, even on Normal, the majority of the time I was fighting alone, and having to res my troops and heal them on recharge, I had to tell them what to do all the time (which by itself was fine) but if I didn't, it felt like they wouldn't do anything.

The enemies running at me was annoying too. Especially how the krogans have their regen health shit while they run.

There werent a lot of planets to land on. It makes you think you have freedom, but there arent any planets to just Explore. They all have to do with the story or one of the 5 side quests.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Seldon2639 said:
6. Make the difficult choices more involved. If you're going to have a character die, don't make it that one single choice killed him or her, make it that an entire series of choices (none of which make it clear that it kills them) lead into it.
7. If you keep at as a 1 choice = death situation, make it that there are different end results, even if you make the same choice. That way, on second and third playthroughs, it doesn't get boring.
6 is an excellent idea, but I'm not sure about 7 - are you saying every time you make a choice, the game will randomly pick 1 of 2 outcomes? I guess it would be ok if they both made sense in relation to the choice you make, but it would probably mess with a lot of people.

Dealin Burgers

Feb 21, 2008
JakubK666 said:
6.NO LESBIAN SEX SCENES!
ARE YOU INSANE! MORE LESBIAN SEX SCENES!

But seriously, auto-save needs to be included, enemies need to have more strategy than just: Camp and Bum Rush, friendlies need to be usefull in combat and have some bloody survival instincts, friendlies also should not shoot you in the back while you rush the enemy (even though there is no FF, it is still annoying to watch) AND MORE THAN ONE MAP FOR EACH KIND OF BUILDING: every cave was the same, every ship was the same, every underground facility was the freakin same!
Oh and get rid of the vehicle sections entirely.

And remember that whole "interrupt conversations" crap? I was never once able to intterupt anyones lines.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
They need to fix the combat. Tweek the AI to not make it so "clusterkuckey". Make the fighting more tactical, removing the "clusterfuckery" should help this.

Expand on the plot whithout adding new races. A new race will ruin the depth of Mass Effect one, with all the depth in the first one it would seem out of place to introduce a new race.

tratorix

May 4, 2008
New inventory screen, improved Mako controls( perhaps a bit less emphasis on Mako combat, too) and some more variation in the sidequests. They do that and i'll be satisfied.

Also, what's with everyone wanting the game to autosave like every five minutes? Is it really that difficult to save the game on your own?

Larmo

May 20, 2008
I kinda liked the mako driving, i didn't have a problem with its handling to much but it became monotonous after a while driving around a random planet to find things, mix it up a bit maybe an underwater world and you use a sub to get around.

And the fact that the best strategy for me was to run forward and shotgun everyone isn't good for a shooter if its trying to be a shoot from cover game with squad members.

RedStriker

Apr 14, 2008
1. Different weapons/armor

2. Smarter Allies, like many have said before me, they're just useful as body shields and the occasional helpful use of a skill

3. MANY more places to visit that were truly unique (like 10 more) , maybe even Earth. (the endlessly drab mass that is the Moon bored me out of my mind) Maybe even have Shepard visit a Turian central colony world that still has amnosity towards humans.

4. More dramatic and unforseen choices. (for example you send someone in your squad on their own to get something however the one that actually stays with you dies) The choices in ME that essentially had the consequences laid out to you as if you had some magical ability to see into the future.

5. More back story for characters

6. More back story for civilizations/ faces

7. customizable Mako

8. More stuff to do on the Normandy

9. different templates for ships, caves, mines, ect.

10. See rule 9

11. Make the more areas in the Citadel open to travel. The combined sizes of the places you could visit were the size of a village.

12. Envolve the Shadow Broker more. He/She/It seems like an interesting character

13. Citadel forces actually helping you on some missions.

That to me is the perfect formula for a ME2

Imperator_2

Feb 19, 2008
Reaper allies. That what it'll come to, the only things that can fight Reapers on even footing are the Reapers themselves. I suppose one of the other improvements would be the addition of diplomacy.

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
Everything on here is good, but the only thing that I really hope they do is make it so I can skip the GOD DAMN CUT-SCENES! Hell, there should just be a law in general that says if the cut-scenes are unskipable, then it goes back to the drawing board. Especially in a game like ME that takes more then one play through to get the full experience.

Also, they need to make it so that the same button that moves the dialogue along isn't the same one that selects your answer. I shouldn't be punished if I want to play the game more then once and skip all the long boring stuff I've already heard.

tratorix

May 4, 2008
qbert4ever said:
Everything on here is good, but the only thing that I really hope they do is make it so I can skip the GOD DAMN CUT-SCENES! Hell, there should just be a law in general that says if the cut-scenes are unskipable, then it goes back to the drawing board. Especially in a game like ME that takes more then one play through to get the full experience.

Also, they need to make it so that the same button that moves the dialogue along isn't the same one that selects your answer. I shouldn't be punished if I want to play the game more then once and skip all the long boring stuff I've already heard.
Hitting x allows you to skip dialogue. It's not the same as skipping through the scene, but it does help cut through the crap quicker on a second playthrough.