In defence of the 'Friendzoned'

Apr 5, 2008
krazykidd said:
There is no such thing as friendzoned
There is. It is the term used to describe unrequited affection between a pair of friends. One person wants more, the other prefers to "stay friends". It does exist, I can tell you that from first and second hand experience. If you've never heard of, read about or suspected the existence of unrequited love, you need to get your head out from the sand.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Arkenangel said:
I personally wish the term friendzone to go away. If a person ever complains about me putting them in there, they can fuck right off.

Why? I find it highly disrespectful. To coin Jim Sterling's analogy, I am not a slot machine which you put nice behaviors into and get sex out. I am a human being. Spending time with me in a platonic sense isn't some consolation prize; the universe hasn't cheated you out of some inalienable right. I expect my lovers to first and foremost like me as a person.

Now, in the case of me being oblivious towards someone's affections - and they getting genuinely hurt by that - I do feel like an asshole. At the same time, I've had this happen to me before and the recipient hasn't whined - they've been hurt yes, but they've also accepted that I wasn't interested, and moved on. That's the principle difference, does the person still feel entitled to more than what (I've made clear) is on the table?

To be frank, I have met several guys who act extremely nice to me right up to the point they realize sex isn't going to happen anytime soon. Then they mysteriously vanish. Ho-hum.

Yeah this a good point. As I've already stated, I feel people are too hung up on the idea that sex has to equal relationship, but I also agree with your point of view that many people feel being friendly should obligate them to sex. Which is of course total bollocks. And of course this also means that there are those disingenuous individuals that only act friendly because they want to have sex with you, hence your comment about them disappearing mysteriously ... Unless of course there was a more disturbing subtext to that sentence and the constabulary should have a look under those strange mounds of dirt in your back garden. XD

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
krazykidd said:
There is no such thing as friendzoned . People need to man up and stop being afraid of rejection. Ask a girl out . 50/50 chance she says yes . If she says no , move on. How is this so hard? I swear i have never heard so much "friendzone" talk, than on this site . Guys are turning into wimps.
Faulty logic there. It's not a 50/50 chance she's going to say yes or no. It's not a flip of the coin. If she doesn't like you there's a near 100% chance she's going to say no. There are two options, but that doesn't mean each option is as likely to happen. It's kinda like the probability of being struck by lightning. You either get struck by lightning or you aren't. The actual probability is extremely low though.

I'm not sure if I get the reasoning that it doesn't exist though, but not like it's common to think of it. A girl doesn't place me in "the friend zone" I place myself in the friend zone when I can't let go. I decide that if she doesn't want to sex me now then I'll be her friend and build her affection towards me and then she'll want to sex me when she realizes that she's been in love with me all along or at least she might have a weak moment where she'd jump on pretty much anyone. It's a very real thing, but it's more of a personal psychological self delusion than anything else.

Personally I make sure to push girls into my personal friend zone. Make them distant enough that a relationship can't ever happen, but close enough to be able to enjoy their company now and then.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
krazykidd said:
There is no such thing as friendzoned . People need to man up and stop being afraid of rejection. Ask a girl out . 50/50 chance she says yes . If she says no , move on. How is this so hard? I swear i have never heard so much "friendzone" talk, than on this site . Guys are turning into wimps.
Oh please, people have been saying that for centuries.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
WolfThomas said:
Completely agree with the sentiment. But...

ARGH! That's not how statistics/odds works!

Sorry I'm a pedant. Just because there are two discreet outcomes, doesn't mean there's an even 50% chance she'll say yes. More likely it'll swerve to highly probable or highly improbably depending on the situation.

But yes you're correct there's only two outcomes. She says yes or no. And you latter won't kill you.
Thank god I'm not the only one who reacts when I see that statement. I hate when people find number of outcomes to be the same as probability. Especially with weighted probability which is the case here.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
There's one problem with putting the "friendzoning" phenomenon down to generalized social awkwardness, and that is that the people who profess it generally have perfectly normal social relationships.. with dudes, and exclusively with dudes.

The problem everyone has with "friendzoning" claims is that they are indicative of a particular attitude (and a particular incompetence) towards women as a class of people, namely, the subconscious idea that women are simply the passive objects of sexual/romantic desire who cannot provide any form of fulfillment or gratification beyond intercourse and the paltry social acceptance awarded by being "in a relationship". It implies that the feelings and needs of women are somehow less significant than those of the male who desires them, it implies that women are like some weird alien species who men cannot possibly understand or engage with except through cold and awkward romantic encounters.

It might be easy to misconstrue the reaction to this "friendzoning" shit in terms of laughing at the socially awkward, but then the reaction to claims of being "friendzoned" is not mockery in my experience, but genuine anger.

ForumSafari said:
Can't state that enough; I don't ask people out on the basis of how likely I am to get to fuck them and I've always found it slightly depressing how many women online seem to think that's how guys work. It's almost never about sex and more out of general attraction and affection. Just to reiterate; sex isn't that big a deal to all of the men I know, it doesn't rule us like that.
So, what does attraction and affection mean?

Someone I know did an experiment once where she posted a picture of her cleavage on Okay Cupid and simply filled the profile with insane and incoherent rambling composed of out-of-context quotes by Slavoj ?i?ek. Not only did it get a massive amount of messages, many of them were from very serious and earnest sounding guys who seemed perfectly able to overlook the fact that this woman claimed to spend a lot of time thinking about dental vaginas.

The reason everyone is so skeptical of the "romantic" intentions of the friendzoned is because they generally do not seem to actually understand or relate to the women they fixate on (since that is, after all, the basiv substance of the "problem") so why are they there? What is making these people think that this person who they generally have so little in common with that they don't actually enjoy being friends is right for them?

I don't particularly care if guys can't relate to women because they see them as walking penis recepticles or if guys can't relate to women because they see them as low-maintenance pets which somehow have the key to emotional happiness and contentment hidden in their bras. One is not better than the other, as far as I'm concerned.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
evilthecat said:
low-maintenance pets which somehow have the key to emotional happiness and contentment hidden in their bras.
Curse those damned bras, keeping my happiness away from me! ;D

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
evilthecat said:
So, what does attraction and affection mean?
Generally if I ask someone out it's not because I want to have sex with them as I say, it's normally because they're pretty and I find their company pleasant. It has way more to do with attraction and enjoying being around them than it does the probability of me having sex with them, to be honest that comes weeks to months later down the road. At first I just want someone that I'm happy to be around and that I find interesting.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Part of the reason that the stereotype of people who are 'friendzoned' exists is that it's really no different from any other form of rejection except for the justification behind the term being significantly douchier. You're rejected, I get it. IT hurts. But this whole friend zone concoction is similar to accusing any woman who wont give the the time of day of being "stuck up," "frigid," or "a lesbian."

Excuses are excuses.

ColdinT

Apr 8, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Daveman said:
Yeah, the whole "so you think just because you're nice you are owed sex?" line never really rang true with me. It's not that you're pretending to be her friend either. Often the issue is you're such good friends that you fear giving up that side of the relationship because you tried to change the nature of it. Not to mention how other friends of hers are going to react. The fear of being ostracised from potentially a whole friendship group is pretty bad. I don't think it's necessarily rejection that is the fear, but more the loss of friendship. That's certainly how I've felt about it, just not wanting to fuck up a good thing.
Sure, that's a very real thing, but it's not the friendzone.
That's pretty spot on with my definition.

I remember back in High School that there was this girl I would spend a large amount of time with, and we were pretty good friends. I thought she was attractive, but she had been dating someone else when we first started hanging out so I never looked for a relationship. After a while when she was single though, I developed feeling for her and made those known, but was rejected on the basis that it would ruin the friendship. Probably would have made things a bit strange with our other friends too in retrospect.

But being "friendzoned" in this case was already having an existing, well-established friendship that the girl did not want to damage by involving a more intimate relationship.

It does seem like the definition had changed slightly over the last 5+ years though to mean something a bit different, or at least, different things to different people.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
The range of different responses here are quite interesting; I had no idea that this one term had such a wide range of different inflections and implications.
I must admit I was not aware that the term was also used to descrbe the behaviour/state after an advance had been made. I had always perceived it as being the behaviour of someone who is trying to express their feelings, but are either being far too subtle or failing to distinguish between romantic affection and normal friendliness. That said, it seems appropriate to use the term to describe both sides of the rejection, as they both stem fro the same root cause of social anxiety.

In addition, I think putting emphasis on the grammatical voice used to determine the speakers point of view (i.e. "she friendzoned me" vs "I was friendzoned") is a little misguided; I don't think that most people put that much thought into the specific composition of their sentences that such differences are accurately reflected.

McKinsey said:
Moloch Sacrifice said:
To be clear from the start, I AM NOT defending the 'Frat Boy' rape culture
What-what-what? While "frat boy" is a rather derogatory term to describe a person, I can at least understand what kind of people you're trying to feel superior to. What the hell is "frat boy rape culture"? Do you even know what "rape" means?
By "Frat boy rape culture", I am referring to the behaviour of some men who insist that their advances MUST be accepted, and are so unreasonably enraged by the possibility of rejection that they try to get their chosen target so apocalyptically inebriated that their ability to resist is worn down, or they pass out. I appreciate that members of college fraternities are not all like that, and likewise appreciate that this behaviour exists outside of that context as well. However, I was merely using a convenient stereotype to convey my meaning briefly, without having to deviate too far from the main body of my argument.

McKinsey said:
Moloch Sacrifice said:
More often than not, a person who describes themselves as 'friendzoned' (and does not meet the rather unsavoury condition above) is often quickly slotted into a very unpleasant stereotype; fedora wearing, unshaven, entitled, middle class white male
Are you joking? Fedora-wearing unshaven white dudes are the ones who actually DO get laid on a regular basis. "Friendzone" is a word used by socially awkward pimply nerds who've never spent much time around girls, don't know how to talk to them or how to read their emotions and thus can't differentiate between when a girl is really into them or is just being friendly.

Dude, seriously, get your facts straight and stop trying to distort the reality, bro.
That's interesting. As far as I was concerned, those two stereotypes overlapped into being one and the same. Clearly, this is down to some local cultural variation I was not aware of.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I think the OP here pretty much sums up 'friendzoned'. I think initially it was used out of genuine sorrow at being unable to express their feelings to someone else and subsequently having the the person they care about peg their relationship as simple friendship. Unfortunately as a few people (Jim Sterling included) have said some people have come to misuse this term hugely to describe any situation where a person (male OR female - it applies to both genders) simply can't get sex from someone after they put any minimal amount of effort into getting to know them.

Also as someone else has mentioned the way that friendzoned is used does (grammatically) imply that the target individual is somehow responsible or to blame for a lack of a sexual attraction which is dangerously close to imply that they have personally done something wrong. I think this issue of semantics is probably to blame for the misuse of the friendzone concept and perhaps the word friendzone is not quite right the general (initial) concept behind is valid. It can be very upsetting having feelings for someone who does not have the same feelings, especially if you're friends with that person (and therefore spend a lot of time with them) and even more so if they don't even know how you feel.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
krazykidd said:
There is no such thing as friendzoned.
It's just categorization. It's a good way of saying "this girl doesn't want anything more than friendship out of you."
"Unfuckable" would also be a synonymous term.

but this
Guys are turning into wimps.
I agree with wholeheartedly. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Jared Jeanquart

Jun 19, 2012
Holy Wall of Text, Batman.

First of all, here's what I think is a reasonably insightful video on "Niceguys," which I think is what the Friendzone is actually about. They're the ones who are "entitled" and so angry about being there. I just liked seeing something that was openly empathic, instead of "ugh, a gross Nice Guy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9XDb0nxSO4

Now then, many of you have talked about your experience with starting relationships. One guy mentioned his IT class where he talked with some girl, and eventually they both brought up relationships and such.

THIS scenario is utterly foreign to a big chunk of the male population. This chunk of the male population is baffled by many things. Like infidelity. We live in a world where relationships are so uncommon, the idea of having the OPPORTUNITY to cheat is absurd; your existing relationship is so unlikely, what are the chances that some other person is going to come along during that window?

This is the mindset we're talking about here. And you can't just say "man, just ask her out, and if you get rejected, move on." Getting rejected HURTS. And it especially hurts if you've ALWAYS been rejected. If you've had previous success, you know that this rejection doesn't matter, because the next one might succeed. But if you're a pathetic ForeverAlone, then every rejection is just another brutal reminder that you suck. The only people who aren't hurt at all by rejection are people who use a shotgun on the problem and ask out every single girl they can, with a bunch of rote lines, and they're pickup artists. Which most men with any self-respect left refuse to do, because it seems like save-scumming or save-fishing.

So, you try to ask out girls that you think have a decent chance of not immediately rejecting you. You get to know them a bit first, because you're a modern man who cares about personalities and feelings and having a relationship, not just boning them and moving on to the next *****. That means becoming at least an acquaintance, probably a friend. Except that you've gone through all that effort (becoming a friend with a girl TAKES effort. you need to go out of your way to do stuff with them, be around them, talk to them. Because in the world of these guys, women don't ever interact with them of their own accord, and girls simply don't exist in their normal social circles). Now, you say that this effort shouldn't make them feel entitled to sex. Obviously not, but I would phrase it in a different way.

In school, if you put in the work, do you feel entitled to an A? Well, did you do the work? Did you learn the material? Did you do the school-recommended study habits? Because if I turn up to class, pay attention, and put in three hours of study a week, I expect to be able to get at least a B, maybe a C+. But if I go through all that, and then get Failed at the end of the semester, or get a D-, I'd feel pretty fucking bad. Maybe I didn't give it my ALL, but why should I have to expend every iota of my being on something that other human beings seem to manage with a seemingly normal amount of effort? Shit, what if I HAD given it my all, and still failed? Maybe my All still isn't enough. That's terrifying.

So you suspect that the professor's grade was a foregone conclusion, and nothing you could have done would have changed it. you were destined for that D-, not matter what you did. Is it "entitlement" to want a decent GPA for putting in the reasonable ammount of work? Or are people going to tell you that your work was its own reward, and you should be happy that you were even allowed into the room and given the opportunity to buy a textbook? Now bug off, fedora-wearing beta-male.

Yes, you shouldn't think of human beings as courses or schools or things, or whatever, but that's what we do, as human beings. We can't instantly conceptualize everyone we meet as a person, because we don't know them yet.

This mindset is poisonous. It corrodes your personal happiness, your self-esteem, and worst of all, your confidence. Because apparently confidence on men is the only thing women care about, because that's the only advice anyone is willing to give you.

If you tried to start a relationship with someone, and wound up as friends, then that's painful to you. Being around that person just reminds you that they'll never think about you the way you think about them. And they're just another example in a long line of girls that saw you as having all the sexual presence of a signpost. What you should PROBABLY do is just avoid that person. But then you're not their friend anymore, and you come off as shallow and only after sex, and everyone calls you a fedora-wearing nice guy. Or you'll discover that without you putting in the constant effort to maintain the friendship, there's really no give-and-take going on. It was a one-way-street, and it just abruptly ends when you stop working at it.

And this totally leaves out the girls who actively take advantage of their Friendzone. Most of them probably don't relaize they're doing it, they feel "entitled" to have a bunch of guys always available to go out to the club with them and be their DD while they grind on handsomer and more confident guys, or cover their meals, or do their extra work, or listen to ALL their problems and provide emotional support. To have most of the benefits of having a boyfriend while not having to be anyone's girlfriend. That sounds a hell of a lot like entitlement to me.

In my defense, I've never personally felt taken advantage of by a girl whom I was friends with. All those examples were from friends of mine (okay, one friend). Obviously most girls don't do all of that, but most of us knows one that does, and we all remember THAT girl. But the college course analogy does capture my personal feelings.

Jared Jeanquart

Jun 19, 2012
Ohh, here's another question, aimed at any women that might be here: Imagine your husband/boyfriend has sex with you, and ONLY you, and doesn't even engage in flirting with another woman, but spends little time sharing feelings with you. and instead, you know that he's got some other woman, to whom he listens to all the time, makes her feel better when she's sad, goes out for drinks with her, and generally acts more like a husband/boyfriend to her than he does to you...is he cheating? Would you feel as though he's cheating? No one here's having sex except you and him.

Real Relationships between to adults of the opposite sex involve sharing thoughts and feelings, but also physical intimacy. And girl don't get to suddenly pretend to become asexual when accused of exploiting a guy for emotional intimacy, acting all confused. "if he wanted sex, he should have just said so." If he didn't want sex, he wouldn't have been hanging around you like that, and if he had asked that at any point, the whole interaction would have ended. Yes, he was dumb, but its a bit hard for you to magically make yourself into the victim in that scenario, cruelly taken in by a cunning manipulator who saw you as a sparkly vagina-bearing prize.

Mrugh. Sorry, this is getting too whiny on my part. I guess my main point is that there's an endless stream of advice/orders for men on what to do and what not to do, and it increasingly boils down to "unless you're incredibly handsome and confident, don't instigate interaction with a woman, ever." Everything that men do is bad and wrong, and no one ever asks if women could be doing anything different.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I always defined "friendzoned" like this:

Person A meets person B.
A falls in love with B.
A spends much time with B.
A confesses love for B.
B does not return love and would rather be friends.

Person A is now in the friendzone.

Action Jack

Jun 30, 2010
Wow, looks like the connotation of this phrase has really changed recently. "Friend zone" has been part of my vocabulary for a long time, but there was never any sort of accusation behind it. Here's what it means to me:

If I think a woman is both good-looking and a kind person, I will want to have sex with her. But sometimes, I meet a woman who thinks [I'm] both kind and good-looking, but she doesn't want to have sex with me. This has led me to believe that women generally have more criteria for sexual attraction than men, and when I don't meet those then I have been evaluated to be better as a friend than as a romantic partner.

Now, she has every right to do this, and I don't resent her in the least bit for it. I've also never used "friend zoned" as a verb; it's never been something that was done to me, but a place I've fallen into because I either didn't play my cards correctly or just wasn't right for her to begin with. This also hasn't happened to me in a while, mainly because I learned how to flirt; now, I either get a date or our interactions don't last long.

That said, I remember how frustrating and confusing it was to be in the friend zone. I think you're attractive, you think I'm attractive, neither of us is seeing anyone else, and we like being around each other well enough to keep hanging out, but we're still just friends. I'm worried that if I make a move, I'll make things awkward and jeopardize the friendship we have. And because I do legitimately care about you as a person (as opposed to pretending to like you because I want to screw you), I don't want to lose what we've already got.

That's what "friend-zone" means to me. I'm sad to hear the phrase has taken such a turn for the creepy.