In-Game Habits That Leak Into Your Real Life

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Have you ever stopped yourself and notice you did something that you developed from gaming habits?

I even find myself whistling the tune that plays in the Barrens in World of Warcraft or saying "Thank you, kind sir." more often than I should (if you've ever met a begger in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion you know what I'm talking about).

Anyways, any weird and interesting little habits and quirks that you have developed in games that become part of little interactions in your real life?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Sniper's vocabulary is seeping inside my already quite awful English. :<

Beyond that, none that I know of.

Dec 14, 2009
I use quotes or the paraphrasing of quotes from various games all the time.

For instance, my dog once stole my sandwich, and I proceeded to shout, 'Stop right there criminal scum!'

Or if the battery on my mobile phone is low, 'Spah is sappin' mah cell phone!'

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Every time I kill someone, I reload right afterwards, even if it only took one bullet; it's just like Call of Duty!

I like to look at the environment around me to determine what I could and could not climb around on in case an escape is necessary (think Assassins Creed or Uncharted). I know if I actually attempted any of these things, pain would be the result but I can dream...

Also, less gaming related but I try to rate my environments on how well I could do in case of a zombie invasion. You never know when that knowledge will save your life.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
I've genuinely found myself strafing before. The immediate afterthought being 'What the hell am I doing and why?'.

I also use a lot of gaming quotes, sometimes without realising it. This means I laugh to myself at weird times...

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
I was about to try a roll in real life after playing a marathon of OoT and Majora's Mask.

I literally had to catch myself from doing so.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Only a few days of minecraft, and the sight of a sunset when I'm not very close to my house already makes me nervous. I think I may need help.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
i have a tendency to not jump or walk on cracks for fear i will fall through the world.

way2sl0w

Resident COD Fanboy
Jan 29, 2012
When people ask me what's up, instead of 'not much' I tell them about the mudcrab I saw the other day and how they're disgusting creatures.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
When I walk through a crowd, I turn my shoulders and sometimes put my hands on people's chests, just like Altair. Thankfully, it's only a short-term effect of Assassin's Creed playing.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
I have to pick up every single coin I see, I tend to literally jump over cracks, and I also almost ate a mushroom right off the stem.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
I've started trying to do Parkour
I stack my backpack like the old inventory management systems
When I kill someone I check to see if they dropped any valuable loot

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Whenever I walk on grid tiles, I always step in the knight's movement pattern from chess.

Does that count?

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Oh thank God, I'm not the only one.

What else... sometimes when I have to exert myself, I picture myself waving the Wiimote like you do for RE4's QTE's, or mashing circle to stab a Minotaur in God of War. That was actually really useful when I was a factory labourer.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I always drive on the sidewalk with the intention of wiping out enemy gang members and increasing notoriety for the fun of it.

I usually take a few seconds to decide for the good or evil moral choice when I am having conversations with people.

Yeah... none of those are real... I can't think of any gaming habits that sneak into my life if I have some. There might be something subconscious though.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Daaaah Whoosh said:
When I walk through a crowd, I turn my shoulders and sometimes put my hands on people's chests, just like Altair. Thankfully, it's only a short-term effect of Assassin's Creed playing.
Oh god, I do this too.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
My mind tries to quicksave before decisions after playing a lot of Fallout/Mass Effect, which is a fucking weird sensation.

Also, after a Grand Theft Auto IV binge, I heard something behind me and my mind tried to press in an imaginary right thumb stick to immediately switch the view to behind me, without me turning to look. Also goddamn weird.

[sup][sup]Also, recently I say and write 'goddamned' JUST like Zaeed from Mass Effect 2. I even think it in his voice, EVERY TIME.[/sup][/sup]