In Regards to Wild West

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
chocolate pickles said:
Wait, how did this vote on the wild west go? Was it voted to keep it open or to close it?
From what I can gather it was a vote from way back, like 6-18 months ago, and it went in favor of keeping the WW open.
But there wasn't like a vote you missed while you were asleep or anything, and the closing of the WW had more to do with current-day bullying and harassment threads than Mods pulling a coup and shutting it down.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
The callout threads were admittedly a shitty practice that got way too popular and it's good they've been effectively put to rest.

That being said, especially given comments above, it's obvious some users consider the general Escapist forum rules too stringent to allow them to freely express themselves (Bobular's anime threads were not doing any harm, I think, and some people were continuously posting in them so some people had fun with them, apparently. I've also seen controversial political topics breached in WW, where the OP apparently considered the issue too volatile for R&P...). Given that the issue was a fairly specific one and the forum still IMO served its intended purpose in some other respects, I think it would make more sense to include and anti-bullying rule in WW's mini-CoC instead of scrapping it altogether, especially after majority of users voted to keep it in an official poll.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I can quite understand why you wouldn't agree though..
Is it because he's guilty of a thought-crime?

I mean, Breakfastman used the WW way more than you did, are you really going to insinuate that he wanted it gone because he's on the opposite end of the political spectrum than you?

Are you really going to start revising history a day after it happened?
Maybe its because it clearly made like no difference for him? First thread after WW closes and you and him are already teaming up on people just like old times. Seems like neither of you really needed the WW to do what you do. Its almost touching how you two lean on eachother.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
So...
Basically, the people who wanted to get rid of the WW, were harassing and abusing people who wanted to keep the place around to the extent that you decided to get rid of the place.

Well... That's a unique response to the issue.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I don't know about "too seriously", but this is quite serious to me.
I don't think anything is serious enough to keep a list of names of the people who you feel have wronged you, my dude. Unless we are talking an Oldboy-type or Crow-type situation, but I kind of don't think that really applies here.
Sigh. I don't keep a list of people who've wronged me. I would take more care in reading posts to get your information if I were you.
Since there was suspicion of outside activity interfering in the vote (given the high number of voters relative to posters), I took down everyone who've commented in the thread's vote for or against in a simple notepad document. I just didn't delete it afterwards.
I tend to create many documents concerning my interests, from coins to games to politics to poems, etc.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
EvilRoy said:
undeadsuitor said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I mean, Breakfastman used the WW way more than you did, are you really going to insinuate that he wanted it gone because he's on the opposite end of the political spectrum than you?

Maybe its because it clearly made like no difference for him? First thread after WW closes and you and him are already teaming up on people just like old times. Seems like neither of you really needed the WW to do what you do. Its almost touching how you two lean on eachother.
This is a problem that definitely needs addressing: people like Suitor who are anti social, rude and passive agressive, but dress it up a bit so they won't be picked up by the mods.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Silentpony said:
chocolate pickles said:
Wait, how did this vote on the wild west go? Was it voted to keep it open or to close it?
From what I can gather it was a vote from way back, like 6-18 months ago, and it went in favor of keeping the WW open.
But there wasn't like a vote you missed while you were asleep or anything, and the closing of the WW had more to do with current-day bullying and harassment threads than Mods pulling a coup and shutting it down.
Hmmm, that does seem messed up though, holding a public vote for something and then just deciding down the line that actually, you don't care and are going to do what you want anyway.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
chocolate pickles said:
This is a problem that definitely needs addressing: people like Suitor who are anti social, rude and passive agressive, but dress it up a bit so they won't be picked up by the mods.
Well, I mean, we already established with the Epicwynn saga that people who are on the forums simply to cause problems and harass other people, even if not directly breaking the rules can have things like Wild west access removed.

But, again, rather than keeping with a consistent way of dealing with these things, we've decided to just punish everyone.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Since there was suspicion of outside activity interfering in the vote
More than just suspicion.

Grey Carter linked the thread on his Twitter and the replies were full of people who haven't posted on the site in years talking about how pleased they were with themselves for voting to get rid of it.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
anthony87 said:
Grey Carter linked the thread on his Twitter and the replies were full of people who haven't posted on the site in years talking about how pleased they were with themselves for voting to get rid of it.
That's just... sad.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
anthony87 said:
That's just... sad.
Woah now.

Woah.

Nothing is sad when you're on the Right Side of History TM

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
chocolate pickles said:
Silentpony said:
chocolate pickles said:
Hmmm, that does seem messed up though, holding a public vote for something and then just deciding down the line that actually, you don't care and are going to do what you want anyway.
To be fair a vote from many months ago about how much people approve of the then Wild West isn't a fair example of what people think of the now Wild West.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
It was my Attn thread, wasn't it.

While I'm not going to argue that the WW was attracting members to the site or that the mods are in on some conspiracy to have control of the site...

I do truly believe this forum is a lot worse off without it. Furthermore, people complain that the forums devolved into slap-fighting, but this is just not true at all. If anything, there was always fighting. It's just that in the days without the WW, it was veiled in subtle insults and passive-aggressiveness. And you know what? That's fine. But with the WW, we at least had a choice.

People could've ignored the WW. There were options to make it completely invisible. Honestly, there's no nice way to say this so I'm just gonna say it. The people who wanted the WW gone tended to be people who take things way too seriously. A lot of them thought it was so bad but they're too damn precious to realize that that stuff was super light.

And I'm not even comparing it to /b/. /b/ is a shithole. But too many people think the WW was somehow just as bad.

I know that the mods here are just doing what they think is right. And if they think this is truly the way to go, then who am I to suggest anything. But if my word means anything at all, trust me when I say that this was a bad idea.

Perhaps a good compromise would be to lighten up some of the rules, but if the mods were really agreeable to that, I don't think they would have removed WW in the first place, so that's probably not gonna happen.

So now, we come to our current situation. Honestly, at the rate I'm going, it looks like I'm probably gonna get banned from here soon, but if I do, I'm probably not gonna be coming back. And that's not a threat or anything. It's just what is. If this is really the train we're gonna be riding then I don't think I wanna board it. You guys will need to go on without me. Maybe I'll see you all around some other time.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
chocolate pickles said:
EvilRoy said:
undeadsuitor said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I mean, you're not wrong. Like I posted before the site is just going to go back to how it was before the WW was introduced, exactly like that.

It's a shame for both me and you we have to hide our destructive behavior between a curtain of civility, when it was so much more fun to see what we could really come up with given free reign.

I think the WW taught us all a lesson though. It's okay to be homophobic, racist, transphobic, make fun of and call out 'sjws', have like a three month long meme cycle of telling everyone to kill themselves, and more

but just don't call zontar an incel. because that's the last straw.
I'm gonna miss it, man. We were like Batman and Joker. We had such good fun together, didn't we?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
People could've ignored the WW. There were options to make it completely invisible. Honestly, there's no nice way to say this so I'm just gonna say it. The people who wanted the WW gone tended to be people who take things way too seriously. A lot of them thought it was so bad but they're too damn precious to realize that that stuff was super light.
Isn't that kind of hypocritical of you to say, seeings you were the one who kept posting WW threads in other forums, and they had to get moved?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Bobular said:
Souplex said:
Bobular said:
Souplex said:
Bobular said:
First my stall closes last week, then the place I spent most of my time whilst working at my stall closes?

Coincidence? I think NOT!
Indeed, first we remove the taint of Weeb from Tealand, then we remove the taint of WW from the 'Pist.

Let's see what other taints can be removed.
Rip Van Rabbit said:
I hope Bobular will keep posting somewhere. His threads were pretty interesting.
I guess I'll have to start posting weeby stuuf all over Off-topic then. Unless I can find a way to justify a way to justify it politically or if the Escapist recognises Haruhiism as a religion, then I can post weebyness in R&P.
Please no, Off Topic is a clean place.
Not for long...

Silentpony said:
Souplex said:
Please no, Off Topic is a clean place.
The rules apply in Off Topic and R&P. It won't be an issue.

Bobby, don't go around posting hentai pictures in Off Topic, you'll get warnings or banned. Its not worth it. Just go to 4chan's /h/ thread and post until your heart is content.
I've never posted hentai and don't think I'll be starting now.
I only do this in response to a more heinous act.
Or you could stop posting Weeb shit and the spiders will stop.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Silentpony said:
Isn't that kind of hypocritical of you to say, seeings you were the one who kept posting WW threads in other forums, and they had to get moved?
When was the last time I made a thread that had to get moved to the WW? And in any case, I don't think the mods move threads to the WW in lieu of just infracting you and moving on.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
Silentpony said:
When was the last time I made a thread that had to get moved to the WW? And in any case, I don't think the mods move threads to the WW in lieu of just infracting you and moving on.
Didn't you make one here in Off Topic not too long ago, like maybe 2-3 months ago, and instead of getting a warning, it was just moved?
I remember because it made it look like I posted in the Wild West, because it was in response to the thread while it was in Off Topic.

I also vaguely remember a very click-baity gaming thread about some studio being bought by EA, but then it turns out they weren't and it was all a 'GOTCHA!' thread.