In the event of nuclear war, what would you do?

Kralz

Jun 14, 2012
I'd kick back and celebrate!
I really think this world would benefit from a nuclear war...
The only problem I'd have is that I might run out of alcohol after a few weeks, but's only if I live that long in a post-apocaliptic society...

:p

Nathan Josephs

Feb 10, 2012
living in new zealand pretty much guarantees no risk of a nuclear strike because militarily were so irrelevant but fallout from Australia would probably hit here so...that would suck i guess. still doesnt suck as bad as its gonna suck for most of you though so ill deal =p

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
hmm.. If I knew I wouldn't survive, I'd play a video game or blow my money on something stupid to enjoy in my last bit of time on earth.. maybe find a girl and get laid one last time. then again..Im in a small city so i might survive and if i did then i'd find a hot girl and convince her to help repopulate the earth with me :D... or if i'm feeling evil take over what's left of my city like a super villain and wear a strange mask that looked like Deathstroke the terminator's or one of those skull masks from the Army of two game.

Protocol95

May 19, 2010
Like some people have mentioned my home Australia seems like a somewhat safe hiding spot. I'd probably want to pack up and start running west to a forgettable place in the middle of some hills or the outback.

Annihilist

Feb 19, 2013
Well I live in Australia, and it's unlikely anything is going to get this far unless the Japanese are looking for revenge.

However, if it did, and I managed to survive the initial onslaught, I'd actually be tempted to enlist. Seriously - if the threat of total annihilation is as serious as some claim it to be (i.e. nuclear war would result in the destruction of all civilised society as we know it) then I'd be fucked anyway. I'd be facing my own demise regardless of what I do, but if I enlist there's a chance I could do some good for the world.

So, yes, I'd join the military.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Probably scream and run around in circles.

In all seriousness, I'd hunker down in the basement and hope for the best.

Plasticaprinae

Jul 9, 2013
I currently live in Kansas City, Missouri. So its a.. good target I suppose. I would turn into dust holding my chinchilla. If for some reason I am out visiting family, who live in the country, then I would fill the bathtubs and sinks with water. If a bunker is available, stay in it for two weeks, get out and get rid of the dust, then eventually die while trying to survive. Not due to people, rather due to cancer or some other injury/disease I cant heal. I would also cry a lot because the situation is just horrible.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Barbas said:
I think you made the thread even more depressing. Like Caesar's Legion [http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110310031905/villains/images/a/ae/Vulpes.jpg]-level depressing. I think I need some ice cream. :c
That's something from Fallout (3?) right? I tried playing Fallout 3. Couldn't keep playing - it was too depressing. I know it's supposed to be tongue in cheek, but it is honestly a little too realistic for me to deal with.

I got Fallout 1 and 2 for free during a GOG sale. Haven't played them because I know I'll hate being in that sad universe.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Not much.

I live in a fairly out of the way part of Southern Australia. I likely wouldn't have much to worry about.
albino boo said:
You might want to have fun with this http://www.nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/ . It shows the effects of blast, put over a likely target and see if you survive
That was cool, thanks for the link.

Dyan

Nov 27, 2009
Don't know, I live in Estonia, which no one cares about anyway so I think I'd be mostly fine. If anything the capitol gets nuked and we might suffer from minor fallout.

I'd be kinda wierd if the most of the world got nuked, while I go on about my day the same as always.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
OctoberFox said:
I would obviously die, just not certain if quickly or slowly. As bad as people are to each other when things are well, when they go bad people get a lot worse. The police and governing bodies in Louisiana in the aftermath of Katrina and Rita, for example. I'm not a killer of men, not in principle alone, but in just sheer force of will. If it came to it, in a post-nuclear wasteland where it's every man for himself I would get murdered in a hurry, of this I've not doubt, especially since I live in America, where other people are quite a bit shootier than I.
Not as much a you might think, generally a shared catastrophe brings out the best in people. Japan, after the tsunami, didn't have that sort of issues.

I think the problem with Katrina was that the people suffering knew that most of the rest of the nation wasn't suffering, but didn't seem to be concerned with helping either. You also had a big media beat up, I believe, swarms of people looting sounds more exciting than people having to steal food or starve, but it's not quite the same thing.

However, some time after the initial attacks, when a new society is coming into being (or not)...anyone's guess.

General Winter

Sep 13, 2013
super_mega_ultra said:
General Winter said:
super_mega_ultra said:
Nothing would fundamentally change after a nuclear war. The radioactivity would be concentrated in small areas and would be gone within 48 hours. Only very concentrated population centers and military targets (troop concentrations and bunkers) would be hit. There is nothing "end of the world" about nuclear bombs.
I would have to disagree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter

The main problem with nuclear war for most people would not be the nukes themselves, it would be the dangerous aftereffects.

Back to the original post, my city would probably be targeted, but I'm far enough from the center that I would probably not die from the initial hit.
"could have a profound and severe effect on the climate causing cold weather and reduced sunlight for a period of months or even years by the emission of large amounts of the firestorms smoke and soot into the Earth's stratosphere"

In other words, it could making heating your house cost a little more and the price of food go up a little (due to the horrors of "reduced sunlight").
I don't think you understand the profound effects of such a scenario. This could cause food crops to fail en masse. Cause mass death to plant life, and by extension, animal life. This is not something you shrug off.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Pretty sure I'd be safe, at least for a few months. Where I live is a large town/small city, but it's out in the middle of nowhere, with it being about 50 miles away from any other town worth noting. Certainly not a hot target with any strategic assets. So, the plan would be stay put for a month, gathering up supplies, and then Iunno, move to France? If the nukes have gone off, I'd hope the government would have some plan set in place. I don't think many of us would stand a chance lone wolfing it since, y'know whole world burning and all that. (I'm assuming it isn't the apocalypse fallout style).

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
super_mega_ultra said:
General Winter said:
I don't think you understand the profound effects of such a scenario. This could cause food crops to fail en masse. Cause mass death to plant life, and by extension, animal life. This is not something you shrug off.
I don't think you understand the uncertainty of such claims. There isn't even certainty that anything will change, much less a mass extinction. It could just as well be that the reduced sunlight just causes plants to grow a little slower, somewhat reducing yields of fields and making food cost a little more.
As nice as that would be, we unfortunately do know how volatile small changes in climate can be worldwide. For example while a rise of temperature by a few degrees might have little to no effect in a given region, if that change is worldwide the effects are drastic. As for if the sunlight is getting reduced, we also have data on that. A decade or two ago a volcano went off (I believe it was Mt saint helens), and the effects of that are still being felt today in places all over the world. That was one volcano in one part of the world affecting areas for thousands on miles. If nukes were hitting globally, those effects would not raise food prices by a small amount, it would cause a global food shortage.

You could argue that since certain areas are unhurt, it'll be fine. You might have a nearby farm or something. Just remember that in the UK and US, the vast majority of food we consume is imported. That luxury would die immediately as countries will safeguard their supplies to feed their own people.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dr. Crawver said:
As nice as that would be, we unfortunately do know how volatile small changes in climate can be worldwide. For example while a rise of temperature by a few degrees might have little to no effect in a given region, if that change is worldwide the effects are drastic. As for if the sunlight is getting reduced, we also have data on that. A decade or two ago a volcano went off (I believe it was Mt saint helens), and the effects of that are still being felt today in places all over the world. That was one volcano in one part of the world affecting areas for thousands on miles. If nukes were hitting globally, those effects would not raise food prices by a small amount, it would cause a global food shortage.

You could argue that since certain areas are unhurt, it'll be fine. You might have a nearby farm or something. Just remember that in the UK and US, the vast majority of food we consume is imported. That luxury would die immediately as countries will safeguard their supplies to feed their own people.
While it is correct that the effects of reduced sunlight could be drastic, I am led to believe that a nuclear war is unlikely to create that situation, at least not to any great extent. The original models for nuclear winter were, I believe, severely flawed...possibly this was intentional, to scare people off nuclear war (there seems to be a lot of misguided attempts to do this) or possibly it was because it wasn't possible to make a suitably accurate model back in the 80s.

Now, there would be a certain amount of cooling, yes, but not enough to cause that much of a concern...I believe "nuclear autumn" is the term used.

OTOH, there'd be a nuclear war, which is bad enough by itself.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Thankfully I live in the middle of scenic "Fucking Nowhere", so there's barely any chance I'd die of a nuclear blast or the resulting radiation. Unless whoever is nuking us is just going 'fuck it, blow the whole place to bits' and bombs every single inhabited area, in which case, scrood.

Though I for sure won't live past the fall of civilization to happen after the destruction of all governing bodies that will surely result from nuclear war. As I said, I live in the middle of Fucking Nowhere, USA, so I'm just gonna assume that literally everyone other than me has a gun, knows how to use it, and won't have any worries over shooting me for whatever non-perishables I might have been trying to horde.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
What if this all an elaborate marketing campaign by Bethesda for fallout 4?

I'm going to watch many old timey nuclear safety videos to prepare for our impending doom.
See some of you in the wasteland, I will be wearing a badass brown cloak that gives 20% DMG to small guns an +1 to charisma.