Indie Dev to Epic's Mark Rein: "F**k Off"

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
I am Omega said:
Cody211282 said:
Is it just me or is game development becoming a bit to "daytime soap"?
My thoughts exactly.
Just about every week we hear about what so and so said to whats his face, or developer x bashing on game y, and so on. Honestly I don't care as long as they make good games, the only news I want to hear from them is "wow look at this awesome thing you can do in our new game".

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
They should make a reality show about this.... it will make millions

EDIT: Also why would you criticize some one who you don't even have to worry about in the market? It doesn't seem right so from the smaller persons point of view I would say fuck off too.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
The sheer overwhelming stench of testosterone would probably give me a headache, combined with the dizzy excitement of exactly what shade of grey our next game's space-marine would wear
Man, he actually said that to one of the Gears of War devs? I would consider buying his games just for that o_O

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This is what happens when the large company with brainwashed robots encounters a human who thinks for himself lol. I totally agree with Cliff. And am going to break down and grab all the expansions for GSB. We need more people like him in the industry.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
To Epic/Mark Rein: You're an idiot.

To Cliff Harris: Good retaliation, but it seems that you're stereotyping some game companies a bit too much. Try to work on that for me, will you?

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Am I the only one who's sort of reminded of that ENN sketch, the truly indie developers?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Did someone slip the games industry some bitchade this week?

Though to be honest I can see where the Indi guy is coming from when he talks about being small, speaking for myself, I would much rather work for a small company, earn a decent wage, do what I love then work myself into the ground for the big $$$. How much money does one person really need?

I remember conversations I had with people earning $2-300k a year complaining about tax and how they were looking forward to their bonus, all the time I was thinking "dude... I'd be happy with $50k a year... that's enough for me... what's with all this greed?"

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I understand that making the BIG $$$ through immensely popular high-end products might make you entitled to think of yourself as the biggest fish in the pond... but deriding (and that's exactly what snorting and giggling constitute) the little indie dev like that? That's just bad form, Mr Rein.
Nicely done, Mr Harris.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well thats someone who certainly knows what he wants! I can admire him for that

As long as he is happy, doing what he does. Thats great!

Solidplasma

Statistical Improbability
Aug 5, 2009
Antari said:
This is what happens when the large company with brainwashed robots encounters a human who thinks for himself lol.
So true. This guy must be a real dick to go to a panel he has no Interest in, just to criticize someone who's not even competing with him. I'm not sure what he thinks he's achieving, but if he's saying that sending thousands of automated emails to advertise products is better than having a human being directly respond to you, he's more of a dumb fuck than I thought. There is no chance of me Buying Gears of War now.

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
i'd just like to ask wtf was mark rein doing there in the first place if he was just taking the piss i mean did he go to the panel just to troll or what i mean whats the backstory to it.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
As far as I am concerned Cliffy and Mark, and all of Epic can simply drop the PC dev part of thier portfolio... Epic is a console sellout, the PC platform shot them to the lofty heights they attained but the consoles offered them the money... and in Epics case its all about the cash, the money , the dough , the green.

... the bottome line. Its a business, so I add my own ' Fuck off Epic , go design 360 games we PC lot dont want your rubbish '.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Cliff Harris is my hero. And from the sounds of it, Rein deserved to get bitched out like that. Harris' jabs at Gears were lol-inducing.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I'm pretty sure the point Chris Harris was trying to make is that an indie dev IS the guy who made the space marine grey, and can SPEAK as to why or why not it matters or will ever change. No matter what he likes to think, Mark Rein didn't program the shader code, or place the clan decals like thus, or blah blah blah, so if that's causing a particular person issues, there's fuck all he can really say or do about it. Harris is talking about the absence of layers of support bureaucracy and cruft that the typical gamer is faced with when considering feedback that might affect the current or future games they care about. That snort seems to me to be someone insisting that you can't be taken seriously if you don't have a support ticket system or a dead ear in the form of an auto-response generating "[email protected]".

Sure, one lucky guy out of a thousand writes to "[email protected]" and gets a hand tailored response; same thing happens to one out of 10,000 who ping "[email protected]" about iPhone issues, and that's not the point. The point is that Harris LIKES being the one guy at the end of the line, and that even with 1000+ fans, he feels he can tailor his output to them much better than a multi-person organization built to insulate the real creators from the same stuff.

It comes down to a matter of taste at the end, anyhow. It's still pretty rude to hijack someone else's answer to a panel opinion question (indicated by the the phrase, "Harris said how he liked that…") as if there's a "correct" answer. That kind of rudeness and hubris on Rein's part certainly deserves a full-throated, "Fuck Off", and, hey, more than one is probably needed. So here's mine:

Hey, Mark Rein, about that whole Chris Harris thing?

Fuck off.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Look, Rein has been a fucking marketroid douchebag since Unreal. Everybody in the industry who has a clue has known that for a long time now. That said, Tim Sweeney is an absolute fucking genius who almost single-handedly drove PC gaming to the level it is today, graphics-wise. (Like it or not, if you do not admit that the Unreal Engine isn't some of the most elegant and efficient programming out there, you are either lying, an iD fanboy, or you don't know your stuff. There's a reason it is, by far, the most licensed engine on the market today, and why producing quality work in UDK gets people jobs.)

Anyway, I'll be brutally honest: I WOULD have sided with Harris, except that he came off as being just as petty as Rein in his reply. Sorry, I do not believe that, if you were actually given a choice, a person would really honestly prefer a job with an indie studio making a product they believe in and yet make no money over the chance to work at a AAA studio making a product they believe in (and I bet the people who worked on UT III, Crysis, World of Warcraft, etc. etc. believed in what they were working on) and make hideously large bags of money, just because 'you can communicate with individuals'.

He would've been so much more believable if he had said something along the lines of "well, Mr. Rein, not every studio can be a major player. As an indie developer, I think it pays dividends to cultivate what advantages we have, and a closer relationship with our customers definitely falls into that category."

But no, he had to start waving his cock about how much better it is to be an indie dev, which a) nobody believes, and b) makes him look just as arrogant as that prick Rein.