Indie Dev to Epic's Mark Rein: "F**k Off"

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Next up:

Suda 51 versus Hideo Kojima in slappy fight over the title of "most eccentric games developer mastermind"!

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
wait wait wait wait....
Tom Goldman said:
during the Develop Conference in Brighton, UK
There was a gaming conference in Brighton and nobody told me? I totally would have broken into that.

Also, OT, fuck that guy. I don't rate Epic at all. Gears of War and Unreal Tournament... fuck that. Thanks for the unreal engine but let somebody else take care of the games.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
"The sheer overwhelming stench of testosterone would probably give me a headache, combined with the dizzy excitement of exactly what shade of grey our next game's space-marine would wear as he kicked alien butt."

I laughed. I laughed hard. I say more power to this guy for standing up to Epic Games. They're unequivocally one of the shittiest and most overrated developers out there. They haven't made a decent game in years. Their entire success as of late has come from simply imbuing their games with gratuitous amounts of violence and, as Mr. Harris put it, an overabundance of testosterone. Thus, making the game appeal to 'tweens (both physically and mentally). And, since a very large portion of the 360 player community is comprised of this age group, it sells well.

My point is, Epic Games (and especially Cliffy "no talent" B and Mark Rein) are sitting pretty high and mighty on their horses, thinking they're the best developer around, yet they've all but permanently retired most of their key franchises. Think about it. Besides licensing Unreal Engine 3 and making Gears, what else do they have anymore? Pretty much nothing. I'd say losing most of your back-catalog to poor sales is the exact opposite of being successful.

So, I'm with Mr. Harris on this one. Fuck off Epic Games. Don't bother calling until you fire that hack Cliff.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I dunno about anyone else, but reading Harris' rant didn't really give me any kind of confidence in his ability to make any games worth playing. I mean, come on, he went with the "gray colors and manliness" jab? If he's that uncreative, I wonder what popular big-dev games he copies off of for his own games, because it looks like he can't come up with his own original thoughts.

Now that's not to say that the guy from Epic wasn't being a major dick and deserved a nice "fuck off", but if the other guy wants to give himself his own brand of bad PR in the process, good for him, because he did. You won't find me looking up his games anytime soon, because right now he just looks like a whiny 12 year old to me.

neolithic

Feb 22, 2009
While EPIC may deserve the Fuck Off,

all I'll say to Mr. Harris : if your game is good enough ,someone will pay you to make it. The reason why no one wants to pay you to make your game now becomes clear. :) Oh, and you do sound like a whiny douche, right or wrong, still doucheness.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
danpascooch said:
reg42 said:
Judging from the information here, I probably would have done the same.
I agree, it doesn't even matter how he "supposedly" meant what he said, a "snort and a giggle" makes the intention pretty clear.
I agree. In fact, I would rather buy that indie developers game if I new he personally interacted with customers like that. It shows that he cares about the game and the playerbase.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Although I agree that Mark Rein was a prick, I disagree with Harris on one thing. Crunch time is the best time, I will stay up to ALL HOURS working on a game whether to fix a bug or because I want to, if you aren't willing to lose sleep for something you love, you must not love it very much.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Just for the record: Cliff Harris does "walk the walk", as some people say. He did provide me with tech support... i'm not sure if it would work, though - haven't tried to play GSB in a long time. LOL.

w-Jinksy said:
i'd just like to ask wtf was mark rein doing there in the first place if he was just taking the piss i mean did he go to the panel just to troll or what i mean whats the backstory to it.
Yes, i wonder about that too.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, when the gaming industry collapses because the demand for better graphics cannot possibly be met at a profit and indie developers become the only feasible business model... well, I guess they will tell former big devs to fuck off with much more gusto.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I smell primetime drama!

If this was a misunderstanding - chill out on the indie elitism and presumptions already. It's mighty unbecoming. If this was a legit in-context comment heh...though PR-wise this might not have been quite nice, to be honest it's refreshing to get something like this to shake things up a bit. This and Tim Schafer's comments pretty much kinda make a nice change of news, even if its only potential is to go downhill.

But who knows...might actually make someone think too.

Unusual_Bulge

May 30, 2008
I disagree with what he said, and the way he chose to say it.

However, I think the amount of people here dismissing his comments simply because Epic are a 'big' company, or because they haven't put out a game you like for a while is ridiculous.

Epic have no parent company (if I remember rightly), technically making them independent. They also started out small, and 'made it' by creating good games and technology and, perhaps more importantly, selling it. Credit where credit is due. Don't dismiss out of hand.

MCGT

Sep 27, 2008
Sebenko said:
Yay Indie developers.

"Fuck off". That's the sort of straight talking I like.

Also, Epic? Who are those guys? Never heard of them. They can't be very good. Maybe they should take some tips from Taleworlds.

Yes, I've heard of them. Only game I've seen by them is UT3, and that was shit. Why does anyone buy AAA titles any more? I'm not the sort of person who refuses to buy a game if more than three people have heard of it, but all the AAA titles coming out seem to be complete shite.

Maybe the next in the line of three billion identical FPS/ Over The Shoulder games will change that? I think not *snort and giggle*
Because most AAA titles are at least good, some of them bordering on excellent.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
The Ambrosian said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Well this'll get interesting soon.

Gears 3 might have some red shirts modeled after this guy.

EDIT: Cliffy B responded fairly well, I have to say.
How'd you know about his response?
OT: Nice move epic, real nice.
It said in the article that he tweeted it, I missed it too at first.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
holy crap! he got F'ing TOLD!!

Epic guys do come across as jerks. been to many of their developer talks (i.e. Unreal engine pitches) and then every other public sound bite we get out of them... they just seem like jerks.

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
Replying to your customers and making them feel like they are as important to you as you are to them is very important. Twisted Pixel, for instance, has won my undying loyalty and love by doing just that. Hell, they go above and beyond. Not only does their CEO respond to my emails, but they sent me a Christmas card and gave me a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks on my birthday. Not only will I be buying everything that they put out, but I will be convincing everyone I know to do the same. That is how you run a business.