Indie Dev to Epic's Mark Rein: "F**k Off"

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
"Good for you Spider. Don't take no shit from nobody. Guy shoots him in the foot and he tells him to go fuck himself..."

Enough with the Goodfellas reference, but I thought it was fitting. For Epic to think they are above communicating with the fans/gamers who might have a problem with their games (like how UT3 was a total turd), that's pretty much the same as saying "screw those people who gave us money for something we crapped out quick for the cash. there'll be more of them in the future to give us money, regardless of what we put out.". I have a lot more respect for the indie developers who put their own time and money into a project either by themselves or with a small dedicated team rather than a large studio that dumps millions of dollars into a commercial release that fails to hit the mark they advertise the game will be.
I've said it before, I'm more willing to accept what would be termed out of date graphics for a game with a more appealing story than some fancy lighting and particle effects and a re-hashed story we've seen done and over-done many times.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
I get the impression some here might enjoy reading the Cliff Harris blog post in its entirety. And be sure to read the comments too, some respectable thoughts and name drops to be read there.

http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/?p=769

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
Does Rein forget that Epic started with just one guy independently designing games?

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
I was rooting for Harris until I read his response. You see, the main point of retaliating to a dickhead is, well, y'know, to pull the sympathy card and get the public to hate him, not to act like a dick yourself. Rein definitely deserved it, for sure, and I probably would've given him worse, but in today's industry, public reputation can be either the savior or the killer of a company.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
"Mark Rein then responded to Harris' comments by snapping him with a towel in gym, and then dumping pig's blood on him when he was crowned the prom queen. There were no survivors."

Seriously, can the parts of the gaming industry grow up just a little? I mean, they're starting to sound like they're in high school.