Indivisible, the game being made by the same people who made Skullgirls, still needs money.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't knoiw. The video looks okay, but my disinterest in Skullgirls does not in any way give me confidence that I should be handing them my money.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Something Amyss said:
I don't knoiw. The video looks okay, but my disinterest in Skullgirls does not in any way give me confidence that I should be handing them my money.
There's a playable demo on the page, try it out before you decide whether it's worth your money.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, it'll be close, but they may just make it. That's a pretty lofty goal though.

I don't care enough to fund them, but if it's good then maybe I'll think about buying it. It looks neat, I just couldn't care less about Skullgirls.

Also, this thread is about to get walloped hard by the almighty ban hammer.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
chocolate pickles said:
That goal does seem high. I kind of feel like they're setting themselves up to fail.
It's really not. One Skullgirls character costed like $400k or something like that to make, and this is a full-length RPG. Video games are expensive.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
chocolate pickles said:
That goal does seem high. I kind of feel like they're setting themselves up to fail.
I mean, considering how they do hand made animations, I don't think that's really all that high of a goal. You would think they would of had investors with money in their pockets to do this now.
But I suppose they want to keep this crowdfunded.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I will probably throw some money (£10 at least, £20 if the demo seems like something I want to play) at it, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to download the demo to make up my mind. While I totally understand the amount they're asking for (hand-drawn animation is not the cheapest thing and investors aren't gonna want to flit the whole bill), I do have a feeling that it won't happen at this point. Half a mil in 19 days is gonna be difficult. If they get it, it'll be by the skin of their teeth. I really want this to succeed, but I have my doubts. Luckily, IndieGoGo refunds you if a project doesn't hit the mark.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
I miss the days when you FIRST made a thing, then asked others if they wanted to buy it....
I assume you are referring to the days where you FIRST had to convince a publisher to FINANCE the thing in order to MAKE the thing and THEN asked others if they wanted to buy it?
Honestly though, dealing directly with your customers often makes more sense than inviting a third party to have final say in what ultimately gets made. Also, making something without knowing if people want it is a pretty shitty business plan.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'm getting a new computer (hopefully) before the funding ends. It runs too choppy on my current computer (it's old and wasn't good for gaming to begin with) for me to judge the demo. It looks interesting, and I really enjoyed Jim Sterling's video of the demo. However, I really want to spend time with the demo before throwing money at it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
From the company that claimed it cost ten thousand dollars just to add hitboxes when making a skullgirls character?

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
It looks really fun, and a nice twist on Metroidvania. That said, I'm worried about the combat losing the flow that makes Metroid so fun. Jumping around, dodging incoming attacks from all sides as you use new items in interesting navigational ways doesn't connect in my mind to turn based combat when you trip on an enemy. It could work out like Persona dungeon crawls, but I'm unsure how it'll be in a long term game.

That said, I'm not keen on funding it. I'll play it when it comes out, but I wasn't a huge fan of Skullgirls and have concerns about the game's core mechanics and concepts. I'm also a little annoyed it got an extension. Part of crowdfunding is the crowd deciding whether or not to fund you in a given time. Extending that time artificially annoys me, especially after they'd done a big "THIS IS THE END" type push. No other project that misses it's funding goal gets extended, why did this one? If you don't make the money, that's a sign of general disinterest, and a nudge to look at what you have, return to the drawing board, and refine it. Them getting a free month just doesn't sit well with me.

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
Dragonbums said:
chocolate pickles said:
I mean, considering how they do hand made animations, I don't think that's really all that high of a goal. You would think they would of had investors with money in their pockets to do this now.
But I suppose they want to keep this crowdfunded.
If the crowdfunding campaign succeeds they'll get an additional 2 million from 505 Games, a small publisher, so the total budget will be 3.5 million.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
The head of the team did a whole podcast with the Super Best Friends explaining why it's so high and stuff. Seriously recommend everyone go check it out if they're confused.

Please fund it. They deserve it so bad. They're so lucky to have gotten this extension.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
F-I-D-O said:
It looks really fun, and a nice twist on Metroidvania. That said, I'm worried about the combat losing the flow that makes Metroid so fun. Jumping around, dodging incoming attacks from all sides as you use new items in interesting navigational ways doesn't connect in my mind to turn based combat when you trip on an enemy. It could work out like Persona dungeon crawls, but I'm unsure how it'll be in a long term game.
Indivisible is being made in the spirit of Valkyrie Profile, a PSone JRPG that replaced the usual dungeon crawl with side scrolling Medoidvania like gameplay, and spiced up the turn based combat with beat-em-up type action. The first PS is well know for JRPG's and this is probably the most under appreciated one on it, very different and an overall awesome game.

I've never played Skullgirls so I have no prior attachment to this dev, but all I'll say from that angle is if someone's trying to make a new Valkyrie Profile-type game then having a background of a polished 2D fighting game is a very good place to start. You need all the proper animation and hit boxes for the combat to work. And after playing the demo they aren't just doing a straight copy job from VP, they've added their own twist to it to spice things up.

I really hope this gets funded and glad they got an extension