Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

pooryohei

Oct 22, 2008
I think gnarwhalstudio should get a second chance to submit.
Rylan on the other hand isn't helping his cause any by repeatedly violating the previously established rule. Not smooth sir.

jimothy_

Feb 5, 2010
I would like to politely request that a small addendum be made to the official rules noting that sketches and proofs, not just proper comics, count against the publication rule. I think there's been enough confusion to suggest the usefulness of such clarification.

@gnarwhalstudio: Spinwhiz seems to be a pretty understanding (and, separately, inhumanly patient) guy. Since someone else already made the mistake of submitting something previously posted and was allowed a reprieve, I don't think it's out of the question for your well-presented and well-argued request to be acknowledged. I've been checking this thread pretty regularly and I never had a chance to see the image. You had the sense to do everything you could to correct the error as soon as you realized it. I hope you stay in the race.

jimothy_

Feb 5, 2010
gnarwhalstudio said:
[...] While the image itself isn't going to be the comic, even though it was created specifically for the contest, the characters depicted will [...] Can I repurpose my submission to have modified (read: legally different) designs of the characters depicted in the image I linked? [...]
Have you already submitted your entry?

If not, and you're willing to redesign your characters for your submission, then what you posted are technically NOT characters that will be utilized for your comic, and do not affect your eventual submission.

In short, if you haven't submitted your entry yet, and redesign the characters, you can't be disqualified for posting that image. It's just some picture you drew.
(Although if you seriously wanted to use those models in the comic, you could still ask to be allowed to use them. Even that has a shot.)

gnarwhalstudio

Feb 4, 2010
No, I have not submitted my entry yet. I am working feverishly on it, though. I plan to have it in by next Friday. I know I have all month, but the aim of the contest is to find a person that can churn out quality work twice a week. If I can't get it done in two weeks, or miss my self-imposed deadline by more than a few days, I have no business trying. Anyways, thank you Jimothy and Pooryohei. I thought I might have just been spouting nonsense, but I'm glad others are seeing my point. I'm literally shaking from excitement/panic right now.

Yes, Spinwhiz is incredibly patient. He must be a parent.

I also want to point out that while Rylan isn't helping the case, he's been able to, over the course of the day, make three single-panel comics with four characters and some relevant commentary in his dialogue. Points to him.

PizzaBagel

Feb 13, 2010
Okay, I've been browsing this thread looking for an answer to a question that may well have been posed before. If that's the case, I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time.

I've just submitted some comic samples: is there any way of recalling them in case I realise a dreadful error in their appearance or typeset at the last minute?

Also, I have put some of these up on my blog before now. Am I correct in assuming that doing so violates the contract? Obviously, my website is not a source of income for me, so that would not lead to any kind of commercial competition, and in the (perhaps unlikely) event that I win, the aforementioned website could be taken down in order to better satisfy The Escapist's need for exclusive content.

Speaking of exclusivity, I recall that when I began to prepare my comics for submission, the legal agreement stated that The Escapist would enjoy "non-exclusive rights" regarding the publishing and distribution of entries. In other words, that this website could enjoy the property of the free content being handed to them by the contest entrants, but would not be able to prevent distribution on other websites. Having combed over the agreement again (after having submitted my entry) I can find no such qualification anymore. Is that still the case?

Obviously, I do not wish to sound alarmed, or unfairly demonise this website, but could someone please clarify the exact property rights following the competition? Who can use the comics? Just you, just me, or both of us?

PizzaBagel

Feb 13, 2010
Oh, also: I re-sized the comics to a 650px width. I think this is a perfectly decent size to work in, but because the comics were made to be read at a larger scale, the text is now a slightly squinty font size. It's still easily legible, but not what I'd call attractive. I suppose my question is - does this count against us? Are we judged centrally on the art and content of the comic (with the understanding that such font formatting issues can be reevaluated later) or will this be considered a slight on the foresight of the artist?

Rylan

Feb 12, 2010
pooryohei said:
I think gnarwhalstudio should get a second chance to submit.
Rylan on the other hand isn't helping his cause any by repeatedly violating the previously established rule. Not smooth sir.
I'm just doing what I do best ^_^ making wave; and last time I checked controversy still gets attention... and I can't remember now, are websites still in the business of wanting attention? (and quite frankly this is about as harmless as controversy gets, at best I am only digging my own grave ^_^)

Redafvir

Nov 30, 2009
Luigis are a cruel people.

Earlier post with the sketch [which wasn't going to make up part of the final frames and was simply a concept piece] rectified. Was going off the main feature page rules and not a reply in a 6-page forum thread when I posted it.

jimothy_ said:
I would like to politely request that a small addendum be made to the official rules noting that sketches and proofs, not just proper comics, count against the publication rule. I think there's been enough confusion to suggest the usefulness of such clarification.
^ good point

PizzaBagel

Feb 13, 2010
One final question, and then I swear I'll shut right up.

If we realise we've fucked up and broken the rules, will we be allowed a chance to re-submit our work? Thanks!

jimothy_

Feb 5, 2010
@PizzaBagel: The Escapist gets "non-exclusive, royalty free, world-wide, irrevocable, perpetual license" of your submission, by virtue of you submitting it. And "never before appeared or been broadcast in any form anywhere" has been repeated so many times it's making me dizzy. If it's on your blog, it's not contest legal. This is in the rules, and has been the whole time.

Rylan said:
I'm just doing what I do best ^_^ making wave; and last time I checked controversy still gets attention... and I can't remember now, are websites still in the business of wanting attention? (and quite frankly this is about as harmless as controversy gets, at best I am only digging my own grave ^_^)
*image*
Controversy might get attention, but there's not really much controversy here. You're posting comic panels of the characters from your submission, which is a willful and repeated violation of the rules. You attest that it's somehow fine, which I presume means you don't expect to win and so don't mind flouting the rules. Adding to that, the dialogue of your last comic image begins to border on flaming, which is a violation of FORUM rules.

Perhaps you should consider treading a little more lightly in your selfless attempt to attract people to The Escapist by ignoring their guidelines.

PizzaBagel

Feb 13, 2010
Thank you for the clarification on that one, Jimothy. I really do appreciate it. If I remove the entries from my website, does that validate them? Or if not, can I re-submit new material? Thanks again.

Hope everyone else is having more luck with their stuff, Looking forward to seeing the final products!

Rylan

Feb 12, 2010
I am here to have fun... hell if you can't have a little fun in life why did we sign up? If you want to suck the life out of every moment then by all means, red tape it to death but as for me...

Yerocha

Nov 3, 2007
So I understand that we have to submit four images, and that a strip counts as an image, but do the images have to be strips? Because one of mine was going to be a single, title-page style image (the others are normal strips) and I'm not sure if that's allowed anymore.

Also, the main page says "Winners will be announced the week of March 1st." "Winners" is plural, but I thought there was just one winner. Am I missing something, or just overthinking something?

gnarwhalstudio

Feb 4, 2010
@Yerocha I think that is to imply that a contest submission may or may not have multiple people working in it. The same thought crossed my mind, but it also makes no mention of other prizes offered.

@Rylan I appreciate your initial sentiments, but perhaps a modicum of respect for the rules and other contest entrants might be in order.

jimothy_

Feb 5, 2010
@PizzaBagel: The mods seem to be pretty forgiving. I'd take down the images and try sending a polite PM to Spinwhiz to see if you need to (and if so, are allowed to) resubmit.

@Yerocha: Spinwhiz has responded to a couple related questions, saying that entrants are free to divide their images up however they would like, which means a single-panel image should be fine. It could also be a snazzy way to show off some of your potential for detail work and backgrounds without overfilling your strip pages.

pooryohei

Oct 22, 2008
@Rylan I am in no way related to anyone at The Escapist. I am simply a fan of the website and its work.
I myself am working on a webcomic submission and only started visiting this thread so I could find out any additional information on the contest. I thought I might be helpful to others by pointing out the rules as written or previously clarified by Spinwhiz because I understand that not everybody takes the time to read the entire forum. But thanks for making it more difficult and unpleasant than it has to be.

Edit: The hat is a Trilby [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilby], it has nothing to do with Yahtzee. I just like it.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
sounds like a boatload of fun

HOWEVER!!

if you referance any other webcomic in existance.............. WE WILL KNOW!

its all about originality here people. i got the watch for cyanide & happiness covered

Rylan

Feb 12, 2010
Allow me to clarify if I can my posts and point of view (if such a thing is possible).
I just like all of us here have joined in the wondrous adventure of creation of a NEW web comic for The Escapist. I completed at a time when a select few had taken the liberty of sharing a few well drawn pieces of art, giving insight into their style, but not giving away the premise of the comic.
As many artists will understand my muse spoke to me and I saw my characters point of view of this art, and I illustrated it in a breaking of the fifth wall, one frame response. This response gives nothing away to the premise of the comic other than basic personalities of the characters I intend to illustrate; I found this helpful for me and my understanding these newborn characters.
Then it soon came to pass that someone brought fear to the forum of disqualification for out of context imagery, so I reread the General Rules and returned to my initial conclusion that in the spirit of this contest, so long as we are creating something new and not releasing important context intended to shape the concept of the web comic, there is no cause for alarm in sharing a little peek at your unique brand of genius.
I am a passionate believer in the freedom of speech and ideas, that the spirit of the law should never be overridden by the letter of the law and that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
I perhaps allowed my muse too much leniency in expressing the thoughts of these toons put in a situation where their very existence is under attack, and I apologize if I have made anyone's experience here less than what it should be.
But do take this into account when making your comics, if it is good enough to win then nothing you would say here would cause you to lose and if it isn't good enough then nothing you could say here would cause you to win; so take some enjoyment out of this and don't let winning be your sole driving factor.
I will cease posting image responses (unless asked to continue) because I do have better things to do than draw those four every time I wish to post a forum response (though I am sure some of you doubt that ^_^)

and @pooryohei you have a lovely Trilby, and believe it or not I am jealous that I myself do not own one.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Rylan said:
Allow me to clarify if I can my posts and point of view (if such a thing is possible).
I just like all of us here have joined in the wondrous adventure of creation of a NEW web comic for The Escapist. I completed at a time when a select few had taken the liberty of sharing a few well drawn pieces of art, giving insight into their style, but not giving away the premise of the comic.
As many artists will understand my muse spoke to me and I saw my characters point of view of this art, and I illustrated it in a breaking of the fifth wall, one frame response. This response gives nothing away to the premise of the comic other than basic personalities of the characters I intend to illustrate; I found this helpful for me and my understanding these newborn characters.
Then it soon came to pass that someone brought fear to the forum of disqualification for out of context imagery, so I reread the General Rules and returned to my initial conclusion that in the spirit of this contest, so long as we are creating something new and not releasing important context intended to shape the concept of the web comic, there is no cause for alarm in sharing a little peek at your unique brand of genius.
I am a passionate believer in the freedom of speech and ideas, that the spirit of the law should never be overridden by the letter of the law and that the only thing to fear is fear itself.
I perhaps allowed my muse too much leniency in expressing the thoughts of these toons put in a situation where their very existence is under attack, and I apologize if I have made anyone's experience here less than what it should be.
But do take this into account when making your comics, if it is good enough to win then nothing you would say here would cause you to lose and if it isn't good enough then nothing you could say here would cause you to win; so take some enjoyment out of this and don't let winning be your sole driving factor.
I will cease posting image responses (unless asked to continue) because I do have better things to do than draw those four every time I wish to post a forum response (though I am sure some of you doubt that ^_^)

and @pooryohei you have a lovely Trilby, and believe it or not I am jealous that I myself do not own one.
I've not read entirely into this debate, so forgive me if I come across as if I don't fully know what I'm on about, because that is the case.

You're argument here seems to be that as long as you're only posting the characters as a means of further developing the characters and helping yourself to introduce them to us in the event that you win and that it's perfectly fine, as long as it's not the finished product that you've put up for submission.
Which I understand completely.
However, I recall Spinwhiz at some point mentioning that even character concepts are considered in the rules...
It's the only reason I'm a little apprehensive about the inclusion of my on-line persona in my final submission, as he's appeared elsewhere before, hopefully all it'll lead to is a negotiation to remove him, which I have no problem with doing.

Basically what I recall reading on this thread (Don't press me on whereabouts, I'm terrible at remembering page numbers on large threads) stating that if a character has also appeared in some form on the internet, then that character is also void from the submission.

I'm hoping I'll be all right because as much as my character has been on the internet (He's in my avatar for this site) he's not so much a character as he is an artistic representation of myself and as I said if I have to remove him from it, I will happily do that.

So yeah, you might want to be a little more careful about thrusting your characters out there for the time being.
It's a good idea what you're doing, by trying to ease the potential audience into the characters and style but for the submission rules it's probably better to just let the staff draw their own opinions from the finished product.

Although you might be OK, considering you are posting them to the Website that's hosting the contest, but even then I'm not entirely sure.

Hope that's at least helpful.