Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
Ivankov said:
I'm wondering about the size restrictions you put up on the front page (650 x 1280 or something like that). Is that the maximum size of the entire comic, or is that the maximum size of the individual panels?
Per individual panel.
I think we are dealing with a nomenclature problem here (logo, brand, panes, panels, strips, webcomic, piece of art, etc.) You are supposed to produce:1. LOGO (brand) image [square up to 300x300]
2. Your First strip (webcomic, piece of art) with as many or few panes (panels) as you like [650 x 1280 maximum dimensions of all panes combined]
3. Your Second strip with as many or few panes as you like [650 x 1280 maximum dimensions of all panes combined]
4. Your Third strip with as many or few panes as you like [650 x 1280 maximum dimensions of all panes combined]
5. Your Fourth strip with as many or few panes as you like [650 x 1280 maximum dimensions of all panes combined]

Here's a picture to help explain further:

I hope this helps. Everything is to scale in case you were wondering. Good luck everybody. Oh, and if I bricked the diagram due to a misunderstanding, please somebody point it out and I will fix it. Spinwhiz, I'm lookin' at you. (And in case anybody was wondering, Clankenbeard has his entry in as of today. I'm old, completely untrained in art, and colorblind--taking me down should be a cakewalk.)

pooryohei

Oct 22, 2008
@Clankenbeard That's fantastic! If that doesn't clear up any misunderstandings people had I don't know what will.

rlcontre

Feb 2, 2010
worlds apart comics has enter the race
we are not really about video games but that can change

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
@Clankenbeard: You, sir, have just won this thread.

Not the contest, mind you (but who knows, you just might win that too. I wouldn't know one way or the other), but definitely this thread.

42luna

Feb 3, 2010
1) OK I know the logo must be a square no bigger then 300 by 300 and I made mine in Adobe Photoshope with those dimensions, but it looks big to me. can I have an real example of the size I have had this kind of trouble before when I submitted something a lot bigger then i thought it was.

2) in my comic I kind of have a split comic as in a comic with in a comic. it as if I was showing the comic that my character in my comic is drawing. its just a problem mostly because both of them have such different styles also the kind of humor that is used in each one is also different. the other thing is, one comic takes a lot of time to do because of little free time I have and I am not the fastest artiest, so I could not see my self turning in two a week but it can make gamer jokes. the other comic is really simple and easy to come up the next comic for it so its easy to make sure to summit two a week but gaming jokes don't really work in that world(or at lest I don't think they can what exactly kind of jokes are you hoping for, jokes only gamers would know or can every body get them? I not a hard cord gamer I'm just a casual one).

so what should I do, choose one or summit three comics of the one I know I can summit twice a week and one of the comic that I hope I could send in once a month.

thank you

ailorn

Feb 22, 2010
I am an artist and I'm not much of a writer or very funny for that matter. If any of you writers have a good idea for a comic but need an artist please message me. If you want to look at my stuff I am Ailorn on deviant art, and Ailorn on www.DrunkDuck.com.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
42luna said:
1) OK I know the logo must be a square no bigger then 300 by 300 and I made mine in Adobe Photoshope with those dimensions, but it looks big to me. can I have an real example of the size I have had this kind of trouble before when I submitted something a lot bigger then i thought it was.
Here's an example of the maximum size 300x300 pixel Logo (brand) image. It should be exactly this big as a maximum. Keep it square!
Dammit! Now my concept of sentient building blocks of various multicultural backgrounds working in an advertising agency developing corporate logos has been disclosed (and therefor disqualified). Pictured here are the Chinese, Eskimo (blue=cold, duh), American Indian, and Caucasian blocks. The menage a trois in the logo with the caucasian block watching from a distance may have been a bit too racy anyways. Sigh. Guess I'll have to go back to the time-travelling weasel and spunky wisecracking robot. Again, good luck everybody!
Space Jawa said:
@Clankenbeard: You, sir, have just won this thread. Not the contest, mind you (but who knows, you just might win that too. I wouldn't know one way or the other), but definitely this thread.
I'll take all of my thread winnings and pump them into stock in pagers and carbon paper! Thank you for the kudos.

jimothy_

Feb 5, 2010
@Clankenbeard: Seriously, after your amazing visual clarifications for the confused masses, I wanna buy you a sammich.

I was hoping Spunkbot and Weaz would make the cut. Glad to hear they're back.

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Grigori361 said:
LACKT said:
Man,I hope I win,I need to get out of my mom's basement!
That my friend would be potentially epic material for a comic, I have sense of humor, but I can neither write not draw, so this is a bit closed off to me.
Yeah,lol.

@Clankenbeard,your stuff rox!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
jimothy_ said:
@Clankenbeard: Seriously, after your amazing visual clarifications for the confused masses, I wanna buy you a sammich.

I was hoping Spunkbot and Weaz would make the cut. Glad to hear they're back.
I'll take that sammich, sir. Spicy mustard instead of mayo.

My entry is already in. Sadly, it was not the aforementioned (joke) "The Misadventures of Spunkbot and the One-Eyed Weaz". And now, just to (jokingly) make sure nobody else capitalizes on this concept, I post the following pencilled concept art that I did just now to insure that it is eliminated from competition.
What?!? Come on. I was helpful TWICE! At least let me post one piece of worthlessness on the thread. This is supposed to be fun! Wait. Wait. Wait. Um. This is helpful too. Yeah. This is a scale image at 650 pixels wide to show what an acceptable strip maximum width should look like. Okay. We'll go with that.

...I really don't even know what a weasel looks like. I guess I should have looked that up first.

V Gray

Feb 13, 2010
ok almost done. by the way when are we going to hear the contest results? Will you mention 2nd and 3rd place wiener?

Oh and I just read you have requirement that its for video games. I have video game joke but the video game web comic has been done to death I dont just wont to be known for that. I'll do it but for future sake do they all have to be video games?

V Gray

Feb 13, 2010
Clankenbeard I dont mean to rip on your comic but one of your characters is a one eyed weazel? Is that a sex joke? Hell the robot looks suspicious too?

jimothy_

Feb 5, 2010
@Clankenbeard: That image looks not entirely dissimilar to a weasel [http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/graphics1/weasel1.jpg]. I give it a pass. And that post was not worthless, as it made me smile. It's always good when a joke comes to fruition.

@V Gray: The comic doesn't have to be about video games. It just has to be of interest to the community. (Some of the flash content at The Escapist makes excellent example of this.) Judging is the week the contest closes--the first week of March. It's only days away! The suspense!! The excitement!!! The gratuitous exclamation points!!!!!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
V Gray said:
Clankenbeard, I dont mean to rip on your comic but one of your characters is a one eyed weazel? Is that a sex joke? Hell the robot looks suspicious too.
Oh...my...GAWD! V Gray, you need to get your mind out of the gutter. I bet you see imaginary sexual references everywhere. I am appalled sir. Simply appalled. Oh. Wait a minute. I can kinda see your point about the weasel. Thank goodness Spunkbot is in there to keep it clean (on average).

I keep checking this thread to see who makes their "I'm done!" post. This is really exciting! There were like 22 games submitted for the Zero Punctuation Game thread and that takes (in my mind) a lot more skill than drawing four webcomics. I hereby proclaim my estimation the number of entries...

Clankenbeard's Estimate for Total Webcomic Contest Entries: 63
Clankenbeard's Estimate for Total Webcomic Contest Entries That Still Fail the Format Rules: 2

!!!!!!!<-----More Gratuitous Exclamation Points!!!!!!!!!!