Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

narcolepsyinc

Feb 25, 2010
A friend of mine and I had our friends come up with a topic for a comic-off. The topic was LOTR and STD's.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
LACKT you make comics about gay men making out and you apparently subscribe to Gaygamer.com hmmmm its almost as if there is a connection. "scratches head"

Admit it.... your a yaoui fangirl

Me I personally try to stay away from gay jokes for the most part. It's like swearing it makes a much bigger impact if you don't normally use them.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
Eh, comics got to be original, whether that means having really great artwork and so so jokes, really great jokes and horrible art, or whatever else has yet to be done.

You never know what's going to be the next big thing or what your future audience is looking for! Just give it a shot, whatever you've got, they'll be someone out there who'll like it, and you can always keep getting better.

Ok, I'm done being all preachy and whatever...

MaTT2011

Feb 25, 2010
Excellent examples all around, very cool stuff =)

Also, the idea about "post a frame then someone else make the next" does sound REALLY fun...given the appropriate organization that could be a good time. =)

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Here's a question. Is anyone going to continue with their comic submission even if they don't win?
If my artist is up for it, absolutely. But, of course, I wouldn't be able to make any call on that without talking to him first about what direction, if any, he'd want to try running with it first.

I have a feeling that my project could do well on at a different location, provided I could catch an audience. The idea isn't even arguably "Video Game" centric. Pop culture/internet humor/geek&nerd based type of stuff? Certainly. I have little doubt the crowd who hangs out around here would enjoy the concept if it won (but hey, I'll admit, I'm bias), though on the other hand, I don't have much in terms of outside judgement on how good or bad our comic is. Only two/three people outside of the judges know what it is (but rest assure, I'll be making it known what I've been going with win or loose. If my artist doesn't beat me to it).

Thing is, getting an audience is the biggest problem - I'm not that great at getting web audiences. Maybe all I'd need would be the help of someone else to make it work that way (like say, the guy who's doing the art), but winning this contest is really the only sure-fire way I know of to get one of any reasonable size.

So, well...yeah.

MaTT2011 said:
I suppose a premise would have to be established followed by # of total frames and then assigning each frame to volunteers to be submitted in sequential order throughout the week. Sounds like a good way to pass the time till i find out I am t3h lose....errrr, winner. Ugh, confidence...why hast thou forsaken me!?
You would have to put some serious effort into organizing it, lest the project die. You ever hear of Infinity on 30 credits a day? A project that David Morgan-Mar, the guy behind Irregular Webcomic (and now, one of the guys behind Darths & Droids) tried to organize - an attempt at a webcomic written by several people. Long story short, the thing started arguably strong, but then quickly began to tailspin and hasn't been touched since.

Coelasquid

Feb 16, 2010
boybokeh said:
Clankenbeard said:
I showed my strips to a guy at work who is not a gamer and his response was "What the hell am I looking at?!? What does the title mean? I get the boobs joke. That's all I get. Is anybody going to get this?" The comics submitted here had a selective target demographic--not general widespread appeal.
^this

My girlfriend smiled and nodded. She did get one strip, but it wasn't heavily skewed towards gaming.
I like to think there's some kind of compromise to be had between "jokes that will entertain gamers" and "jokes that will entertain people who have no idea what they're looking at"

Alpha Pat

Apr 18, 2009
wow alot of people

i can come up with ideas but im screwed in the writing ( short attention spand)
and drawing (I'm just shit O.K)

but yay....... i be a good idea guy

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Coelasquid said:
boybokeh said:
Clankenbeard said:
I showed my strips to a guy at work who is not a gamer and his response was "What the hell am I looking at?!? What does the title mean? I get the boobs joke. That's all I get. Is anybody going to get this?" The comics submitted here had a selective target demographic--not general widespread appeal.
^this

My girlfriend smiled and nodded. She did get one strip, but it wasn't heavily skewed towards gaming.
I like to think there's some kind of compromise to be had between "jokes that will entertain gamers" and "jokes that will entertain people who have no idea what they're looking at"

Yo,Coela,didna know you joined!Are you using comic sans?

Phillip C

Sep 28, 2009
That is definitely not comic sans, thank god. Really nice comic, I'm worried again unfortunately as more and more skilled artists emerge from the shadows.

Coelasquid

Feb 16, 2010
Hey man, it's John, right? (I'm not used to seeing you with screen names that don't have "John" in them) Yeaaaah, I couldn't resist. I had a bunch of people telling me I should be entering, so I figured I'd be letting them down if I didn't give it a go.

The font is Tekton Pro, I think. I used it for the comics I entered as well, but I turned on that all-caps thing where it makes all the lower case letters into smaller versions of the regular capitals. I like that it looks a little like a more uniform version of my blocky, all-caps handwriting and it's condensed enough that I could fit the dialogue I wanted in without totally obscuring all of the backgrounds that I actually went through the trouble of drawing for once. :p

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Coelasquid said:
Hey man, it's John, right? (I'm not used to seeing you with screen names that don't have "John" in them) Yeaaaah, I couldn't resist. I had a bunch of people telling me I should be entering, so I figured I'd be letting them down if I didn't give it a go.

The font is Tekton Pro, I think. I used it for the comics I entered as well, but I turned on that all-caps thing where it makes all the lower case letters into smaller versions of the regular capitals. I like that it looks a little like a more uniform version of my blocky, all-caps handwriting and it's condensed enough that I could fit the dialogue I wanted in without totally obscuring all of the backgrounds that I actually went through the trouble of drawing for once. :p
If your Manly comics win,I won't feel so bad losing this contest...There should be a term for your art, it should be uhhh..."Burly"-esque!

Coelasquid

Feb 16, 2010
LACKT said:
If your Manly comics win,I won't feel so bad losing this contest...There should be a term for your art, it should be uhhh..."Burly"-esque!
Ahahahah, oh man. I enjoy that quite a bit.

sharmander

Feb 7, 2010
Hainted said:
I might,but considering I'm doing another one 5 days a week already I kinda doubt it.
not consistently updating is a comic killer. I guess that's why they have it in the contest rules, twice a week sort of thing. It should be interesting to the winner if he is able to negotiate some sort of allowed timespan. I feel that would be another deciding factor besides art and writing. You can be great but if you fall to the wayside like vgcats and dresdencodak and surf on the escapist traffic as it is, I don't imagine they will appreciate that.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
I think that twice a week will be really difficult for some people, I took the 2 a week into consideration when I made my style. My plan was make it simple enough that I could possibly make 3-5 a week so I would have backups for if I get sick, writers block, vacation, etc.

Actually that's another question we should post. If you kept up the style you used for your entry could you make two or more a week?

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
Clankenbeard said:
Yeah, my mother asked me if I could show her the strips. I guess she regretted that when she saw them and all she could say was "Such pretty colours!".

Eyeshock

Feb 28, 2010
MaTT2011 said:
Also, the idea about "post a frame then someone else make the next" does sound REALLY fun...given the appropriate organization that could be a good time. =)
I dunno if it's been pointed out already or not, but this is typically called a "Fusion" comic and there's actually a whole community devoted to it. I won't bother posting the URL here but if you google it you'll find it immediately.

I've also heard the term "Add-on" coined. But an add-on tends to just be one frame continuously updated by several artists (sometimes on a table at an IHOP) and a fusion comic actually has a set of rules such as you can only see the last frame created and you can't do show-stoppers (like whole black frames with the word CENSORED or just an explosion cloud that doesn't fit, or MEANWHILE AT THE FIREWORKS FACTORY).

I'm also fairly certain I had seen a comic in moderate popularity that had a weekly update schedule where a different artist drew the next full page in the story arc. The name escapes me though.

ERasER619

Editor of LevelUpComics.com
Jul 31, 2009
isjusterin

My question for everyone is, if you don't win (which is a 99% chance for everyone I suppose), what do you plan to do with your comic? Or are you planning to do something else? It seems like this contest has gotten everyone motivated....
A friend of mine is starting a new website project and asked if I don't win just put the comic there instead, unfortunately I won't get paid for it...which is a bummer

mynameissqrat

Feb 3, 2010
I like all the ideas buzzing around here about group projects. I know I've participated in a few and non of them honestly worked out great. Also all the posts of personal comics makes me wanna go dig up a (of corse non related to my own comic...) comic and post it showing of my stuff. As the terminator said, "I'll be back!".

gnarwhalstudio

Feb 4, 2010
MaTT2011 said:
Excellent examples all around, very cool stuff =)

Nedroid's Anthony Clark and Potter Puppet Pals' creator Neil's little sister Emmy Cicierega have a back-and-forth, they call it Laserpony and it is hilarious.
http://binsybaby.livejournal.com/597341.html

If you don't know who these people are:
http://nedroid.com
http://emmyc.com <----Emmy is a FANTASTIC illustrator.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to continue my submission. I have other projects I need to finish and a commitment without some kind of compensation is unattractive to me. It sounds shallow, but I have work to do; I'm trying to get back into school. If I'm not able to get this contract, I'm going to attend school in Japan. If I DO land the contract, I'll have work for while I'm in Japan.

Still also, I met Ryan North at MoCCA and SPX last year. He is one kickass dude.