Industry Obsessed With "Gay Space Marines," Says Mafia 2 Producer

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
But homosexual space marines can have feelings too....

And isn't Mafia 2 suffering from "genericamericanoitaliancastofstereotypitis"?

Dimbo_Sama

Mar 20, 2009
Well, valid point or not, if you're not going to have some professional courtesy then I'm not buying your game.

Timmehexas

Aug 15, 2010
Amund said:
whats wrong with gay space marines?

Actually come to think of it, have a gay space marine as the main character in a hard core fps/action horror game would be kind of awesome. Have the guy be voiced all manly and stuff, shoot giant guns into overzealous monsters, then you find out that Casey, isn't his girlfriend but rather boyfriend he was trying to save from the alien-nazis-zombies who all wear lead hats.
I'd have to agree to an extent, I'd hate to see a gay main character just for the sake of having a gay main character why would having a gay main character have to change anything. I'm gay and it doesn't mean I wear pink, go shopping all the time, are particularly feminine (although I do cross my legs when sitting at a computer, if that counts) and go around screaming that I'm gay (although I do mention it more on the internet because I have fun and feel more comfortable with myself when I have a bit of a joke about it.)

Being gay doesn't have to change a persons personality you could have Master Chief or whatever as Master Chief, just maybe when he goes home at night it isn't a sexy girl civilian that he saved from a burning building that he snuggles down to every night. Sure there are camp gay men and butch lesbians and whatever stereotype you want to name but there is nothing wrong with them because thats who they are, and this is who I am. Why does a gay main character have to instantly be a stereotype.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
PaulH said:
I don't know, I'm just going off what I can remember from year 11 literature in English o.o I remember finding Heinlein funny. Well, comical at least ... or atleast as a parody of the US army... the Mobile infantry as being the end result of an arms buildup, yet no matter how advanced technology gets devastation and near annhilation is met upon Humanity cy a pack of bugs.

Nowhere near as serious or dark as Kafka.

As I said I could have read the material from teh wrong perspective or just don't remember it as well as I should have. I was only 16 o.o
16 in grade 11? You were a young'un...

Anyway, we all get something different out of what we read, and it is a mistake to assume that the only thing one can get from a text is the authors intent. I do think, though, that the annihilation of humanity by a pack of bugs was a depiction of a desperate struggle, not a sign of the military's ineffectiveness. The idea, I think, is that the bugs are an enemy who are powerful and worthy, and that the army is fighting a dangerous foe, not beating up on weaklings.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
The term "Space Marine" has come to mean "any protagonist in a sci-fi shooter". Yeah, I guess there are a lot of them around, with an absurdly broad definition like that.

I'm starting to not take people who whine about this supposed "Space Marine" glut seriously.

Therumancer said:
As I understand things, Marcus and Dom being a couple doesn't come from them simply being manly men who work together, or those jokes, but from innuendos in their interplay with each other. The big question being how far you have to read into some of the things that are said and the scenes are shot. Basically, that it's intended, but very subtle. Another person responding to this thread who was apparently gay even made a comment about how they would prefer that they be more overt about it than this kind of subtle implication, doubtlessly having heard the same things (or seen it first hand).
Having played through both games, there's nothing gay about how they interact. Back before people were paranoid about somebody thinking they were gay, relationships didn't need to be stark and detached to be considered platonic.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
PaulH said:
I don't know, I'm just going off what I can remember from year 11 literature in English o.o I remember finding Heinlein funny. Well, comical at least ... or atleast as a parody of the US army... the Mobile infantry as being the end result of an arms buildup, yet no matter how advanced technology gets devastation and near annhilation is met upon Humanity cy a pack of bugs.

Nowhere near as serious or dark as Kafka.

As I said I could have read the material from teh wrong perspective or just don't remember it as well as I should have. I was only 16 o.o
Sounds like you're remembering the movie. The book is very philosophical, and as subdued as it is, I'm not sure how it could have come across as humurous.

Larsirius

May 26, 2010
Pretty bold words from the uy behind a game with some of the most bland characters of its genre.

Thisbedutch

Apr 23, 2009
BobisOnlyBob said:

I think Army of Two and Gears of War are the main culprits here.
...I have to admit, when I first played this game with one of my mates, my first comment was pretty much "they're clearly butt-fucking."

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Lolth17 said:
So... the producer of Mafia 2, which is a carbon copy of The Godfather in every way, shape and form and features some of the least inventive characters I've ever come across is complaining about generic space marines? Pot-kettle much?
Yeah this.

Gotta love the mature way Denby expressed his complaints though.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
Timmehexas said:
Amund said:

Actually come to think of it, have a gay space marine as the main character in a hard core fps/action horror game would be kind of awesome. Have the guy be voiced all manly and stuff, shoot giant guns into overzealous monsters, then you find out that Casey, isn't his girlfriend but rather boyfriend he was trying to save from the alien-nazis-zombies who all wear lead hats.
I'd have to agree to an extent, I'd hate to see a gay main character just for the sake of having a gay main character why would having a gay main character have to change anything. I'm gay and it doesn't mean I wear pink, go shopping all the time, are particularly feminine (although I do cross my legs when sitting at a computer, if that counts) and go around screaming that I'm gay (although I do mention it more on the internet because I have fun and feel more comfortable with myself when I have a bit of a joke about it.)

Being gay doesn't have to change a persons personality you could have Master Chief or whatever as Master Chief, just maybe when he goes home at night it isn't a sexy girl civilian that he saved from a burning building that he snuggles down to every night. Sure there are camp gay men and butch lesbians and whatever stereotype you want to name but there is nothing wrong with them because thats who they are, and this is who I am. Why does a gay main character have to instantly be a stereotype.

No I was thinking this character would be similar to Master Chief, Commander Shepard and those space marines in personality. You know, all tough and manly. Then later on in the game, you figure out that hes gay. It would be a really big character reveal and would be done with the realism writing of Bioware.

Yes it would be like having the main character be gay for the sake of being gay, but this could bring gay men hundreds of leaps forward should a game like this be created and be just as big of a hit as Mass Effect and CoD. Then after a while people wouldn't really care if a guy was gay or not.

Mayu_Zane

Sep 8, 2009
So does this mean the world is not yet ready for my videogame revolving around albino rocket sharks? Is he saying I should make my rocket sharks gay and fight in outer space to make a profit?

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
fleacythesheep said:
Gay space marines are the one thing Mass Effect was missing :p
nice one i like it why couldnt i hit on the man when i was the man or the woman when i was the woman and the blue one dont count

or wrex or garus or tali would have been fun for a few giggles

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
Timmehexas said:
Amund said:

I just pretend that Noble Six is gay. There's really nothing saying whether he is or isn't, and the "gay" attitude makes all the butt-shots in the cutscenes for Reach all the more hilarious. Especially since the majority of them are for the male Spartans, and only one to my recollection for Kat.

Seriously though. This man has no right saying that Halo's unoriginal when he's behind a typical Mafia game. And despite the obviously immature use of "gay" with his "too many space marines" claim, I would suggest the contrary: more gay characters that aren't stereotypes (like Bernie in GTA4) would improve the atmosphere. It might even get some people to stop thinking gays are somehow "lesser" than other people.

...You know, in retrospect, Bernie wasn't even that bad. The stereotypical behavior may have just been to "subtly" imply (read: not outright say) that Bernie was gay, and it was somewhat reigned in compared to some stereotypes. The fact that near the end of his mission line, Niko's starts commenting on his lifestyle, followed up by "...Shit, I shouldn't be telling you how to be happy" helped that as well.

(Wow. This got tangential. Did I just suggest that a GTA game has good writing? You lose again Denby.)

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Thisbedutch said:
BobisOnlyBob said:

I think Army of Two and Gears of War are the main culprits here.
...I have to admit, when I first played this game with one of my mates, my first comment was pretty much "they're clearly butt-fucking."
Ambiguously Gay Duo FTW!