Industry Obsessed With "Gay Space Marines," Says Mafia 2 Producer

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I had a fairly negative opinion of Mafia 2, and this just seals the deal with such lowbrow provincial commentary. That sounds like something I would hear from the echoing bowels of Friday night XBL, screamed out by a prepubescent voice after someone lost a round of Halo. If anything, a gay space marine would be a departure from what we see a lot of, though I think he was using gay in the aforementioned vernacular.

The Axon Hillock

Sep 4, 2010
More Fun To Compute said:
The Axon Hillock said:
It sounds like he was using "gay" to mean "stupid."
He's a grown man. It's likely he was trying to appear like a no nonsense bloke by throwing in some casual homophobia.
I take people more seriously when they use larger language, not smaller. "Casual Homophobia" is a funny phrase though...

And grown man my well sculpted ass...

He looks like a giant baby.

Also, QUIT GIVING GAMING CULTURE THE STEREOTYPE OF HOMOPHOBIA!!! Stupid... Giant... Baby man...

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Well let's look at the three main "gay space marines" that play a role in today's industry.

Master Chief - The original space action hero. Sure concepts were borrowed heavily from Starship Troopers and Aliens, but Master Chief was the Neo of Action Games. And Is arguably the first of this template. Now as for his sexuality, It frankly doesn't matter. He's asexual, a tool of war. You see almost no nods to friendship, emotion, or sexual interest.

The Gears Cogs - Easy target. Yes it's a bunch of muscular dudes, yes girls play almost no role except for a few teary scenes. But as for their sexuality, it's either been gone over, or doesn't matter. Sure Dom has a wife, and Marcus has that Alma thing near the end, but their preference is pointless. They're Bruce Campbell levels of B-Movie awesome. Fairly two dimensional characters shooting things.

Shepard - Now Shepard has overall been shown to be straight, out side of the genderless Asari for females. Granted this is all choice, and there has been no gay male love interest. End of story.

I really think Denby Grace is reaching for an "OMG CONTROVERSY STATEMENT", I apologise for the somewhat smug wall of text.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Gay? Why gay?

I have gay friends, they're all annoyingly effeminate. This dude needs to get better insults. And now i'm definately not buying mafia.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
source said:
It's a very good question and maybe a little general for a concise answer. An obsession with gay space marines.
Indeed (too general for a concise answer) however Denby you need a slap for stereotyping and/or even using that word to describing a genre in that way.
it seems like that you dislike Sci-fi stories but prefer "old-fashion" instead. This doesn't mean that other people in the majority don't.
What's really is the biggest problem current games are suffer from is the WW2 and cold war/Russian theme as there are countless clones/copies that are only using this as their main plot for the past 4 years or more.

Tip:Use more constructive (and less offensive) words in the future,Denby. In fact, buy a dictionary/thesaurus , read it and then speak.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
He's trying to criticize people for unoriginality when he made fucking Mafia II? Because there totally hadn't been any 1930's Mafia style games before now. Not to mention everything about the game was the typical Mafia storyline and characters.

These developers really need to learn to shut the fuck up.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Island said:
Jbird said:
Here's a original story for ya: Cthulhu and Satan must team up to stop a megalomaniac Jesus Christ from a parallel dimension, in which he wears an eye patch to signify how much more evil he is. And, it will be a puzzle-based game similar to Tetris, but the blocks are replaced with flaming unicorns wearing sunglasses. Progress through 400 levels to defeat Nega-Christ's evil army of space squirrels.

That original enough for ya, Mr. Italian-Immigrant-turn-Mobster-Game?
that's really not all that original. i am not sure how many jokes i have heard or seen on telly or otherwise about Jesus doing something out of the ordinary, and anything about cthulhu has become cliche as well. you can even find tons of Jesus or cthulhu joke shirts, its really really trendy right now.
So what you're saying is Mafia 2 is more original than a Satan/Cthulhu team-up?

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
sravankb said:

And this guy says that videogame writing should improve? Okay.....
I just have to say that your Avatar goes with this topic really really well.

OT: Games do need better stories but they also need to execute those stories well.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Island said:
Jbird said:
Island said:
Jbird said:
Here's a original story for ya: Cthulhu and Satan must team up to stop a megalomaniac Jesus Christ from a parallel dimension, in which he wears an eye patch to signify how much more evil he is. And, it will be a puzzle-based game similar to Tetris, but the blocks are replaced with flaming unicorns wearing sunglasses. Progress through 400 levels to defeat Nega-Christ's evil army of space squirrels.

That original enough for ya, Mr. Italian-Immigrant-turn-Mobster-Game?
that's really not all that original. i am not sure how many jokes i have heard or seen on telly or otherwise about Jesus doing something out of the ordinary, and anything about cthulhu has become cliche as well. you can even find tons of Jesus or cthulhu joke shirts, its really really trendy right now.
So what you're saying is Mafia 2 is more original than a Satan/Cthulhu team-up?
no, no i'm not saying that. i'm saying mafia 2 is "AS" original as Satan/Cthulhu team up. i'm not defending mafia 2 though nor do i have any interest in playing it. i'm just saying that this idea comes from a comedic trend, watch family guy, robot chicken, southpark or a long list of other shows and you will find these type of Jesus jokes being done all the time and the same thing with cthulhu or satan i have seen t-shirts, stuffed toys, hats, internet cartoons all making jokes about them in this same way. also it seems like abraham lincoln could be added to this list of joke cliches.
You're talking to someone who's given up on television as an entertainment medium. Besides, I've never seen a joke where Jesus was the bad guy. Nor have I ever seen a Satan/Cthulhu crossover. And if I cared anymore about this pointless argument, which I do not, I would feel offended about my Satan/Cthulhu game being as original as Mafia 2: Yet Another Mafia Game.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
"Gay Space Marine" > Broken controls, broken camera, broken save spots and missing functions in a Mafia 2 game.

crazypsyko666

I AM A GOD
Apr 8, 2010
Sebenko said:
crazypsyko666 said:
Jaredin said:
I can totally agree - Charactrs are all the same shade of grey these days...
The funny thing is that some of the original bald and screaming hyper-masculine space marines liked to paint their armor bright and shiny colors.

EDIT: Goddamn ninjas!!!
There was a chapter called the Rainbow Warriors, back in the mists of time.

Disappointingly, their colours were these:
That is disappointing. I could see someone taking their color scheme and making some homebrew chapter out of them that has NOTHING TO DO WITH RAINBOWS.

At least the pretty marines are unmistakable for 'gay space marines'.

OT: I kind of liked Mafia II, but this guy sounds like a prick.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Easy Evil said:
joshuaayt said:
Oh, this again. Ok.
I don't think there are enough gay video game anythings, thank you very much, Mr. Maturity. Besides, we can't *all* work on new, creative games like GTA clone: Mafia edition.
Calling every open world game a GTA clone is like calling every FPS a doom/ wolfenstein clone.

OT: mafia did have a good story and it was nice to see main character that didn?t have biceps bigger them my head
I didn't say that. Open world games are fine, open world games with guns and cars are ok too. Open world games with guns, cars, bad-to-decent stories and THAT'S IT? GTA has been doing that for longer, better. New FPS games are obligated to add SOMETHING new to formula, but 3rd person sandboxes seem to be allowed to stick *purely* to formula, bar the graphics. Besides, 'GTA clone' works because they are all trying to be GTA, whilst no FPS is trying to emulate Doom, they are trying to emulate Halo or CoD.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Ok fine, saying that modern game shave too many space marines is one thing, but accusing them of being "gay", what is this, the 10th grade?