Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
CoCage said:
I've forgotten about those small details (which proves my point about the ass kicking), because I have not read that book since I was 15 (I vowed never to read it again). He's a jerk sue in the we're supposed to find him relatable and sympathetic. When he's neither. Not mention shitheads like him are a dime dozen on the Internet. You could find guys/gals like that on the imdb forums, GameFAQs, here, and reddit.
I found him relatable and sympathetic. He's a young man who doesn't know what direction he wants life to take him, he's not dumb and has some talent for writing but he just can't find the passion for anything. I relate to that, I'm a fair bit older than him and I still feel like I don't know what I want to do with my life. He is also still struggling to accept the death of his brother, Allie. He still talks to Allie, and thinks about him constantly, and this obviously informs a lot of his actions and general views on the world. Even his little sister tells him to accept that Allie is dead, and it's obvious that it's very trying on everybody, but it's hard not to feel sympathy for someone struggling with the loss of a loved one, even if they behave badly because of it.

Frankly, he's just such a well realized character. He feels like a real person. He's impulsive, and immature, he probably talks too much, but he's lonely and always seems to be asking everybody he meets to have a drink with him, including the cab driver. He's young and inexperienced with romance and sex. He hires a prostitute because the elevator man offers, but then gets nervous and just spends the whole time talking to her. He frequently thinks of calling ol' Jane Gallagher, who he had a crush on when they were kids, but keeps putting it off whenever he gets to a phone. He doesn't like the fakeness that is required by our day to day lives in society. But despite his complaints about people he doesn't like people being left out because they are ugly or annoying, at one point insisting that Ackley be allowed to go out with his group even though he doesn't really like him too much. I could go on and on. There aren't many works of fiction where a character has so much personality packed into them.

Maybe I feel different that some other people here because I listened to the audiobook read by Ray Hagan.

Ray's delivery is just so casual and earnest, I can't help laughing out loud just at Holden's rambling way of talking. It's just so perfect, and I'm smiling listening to it while writing this post.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Dansen said:
"Name of the Wind" is okay, its got flaws but it is hardly a bad book. Not sure why you hate it so much. The point of the passage you chose was to set a scene for the reader, not sure what the issue is. Its not bad writing just cause you don't personally like the prose.
My issue is when authors write sentences with so much flowery language that the metaphor becomes meaningless. It's utterly ridiculous to me to spend 3 paragraphs describing the quiet, especially when that quiet has no relevance to the plot or characters. It's a silence of 3 parts so that Rothfuss can write endless nonsense about feeling silence and cut flower sounds, not because there is actually anything special about the silence, or even that it's even, in fact, silent. Once the prologue ends we find that people are talking and trading stories in the pub and it's not particularly silent at all. Where is this great supernatural silence? We never see it. It's never relevant.

Beyond the nauseating prose, is the massive problem with the book: it's always hinting at things that are far more interesting than what it is actually going to show us. We start with the unnatural silence. It's never relevant. Then we get hints of war and demon spiders. Barely touched upon. Kvothe's parents are killed by some sort of group of elite demons who kill people who talk about them and Kvothe swears revenge. Forgotten about for 500 pages and then that plot barely even progresses an inch when it is brought up again. Name magic. Only seen in a throw away scene near the end of the book which has no payoff for any actual build up or work Kvothe has actually done.

Which brings me to the next, and biggest problem of all: Kvothe himself. If you've never been smarmed at by a know-it-all douchebag for 700 pages, I wouldn't expect you to understand. He's perfect. It's both aggravating and boring. His skill level ranges between good and legendary for ever single thing he does. He's amazing at lute, and singing. He effortlessly survives in the wilderness for 6 months. He's so amazingly smart they pay him to attend the university. He is so good at sympathy he can't lose a duel even he stacks the deck against himself. He learns Chronicler's shorthand in about 10 minutes. He's a flawless actor. There simply isn't anything he is not good at, and he's always ready to tell us so. We are told he's inexperienced with women, but every time we see him talking to a woman he's always comfortable and smooth. Any time he does fail, it's inevitably because of something he couldn't possibly have known, or somebody set him up. It's dull. He succeeds at any problem before we even have time to wonder if he'll fail, or root for him. Which I wouldn't because he's also a huge jerk. In one of the first interactions we have of him he threatens to kill Chronicler for not wanting to record his biography this very instant and exactly his way. He is constantly threatening horrible murder on people to intimidate them, even in something routine and mundane like buying a horse. And he's full of himself to bursting. It's always "most people don't know" this or "I wouldn't expect you to understand" that. He is easily as awful a human being as Ambrose, who, perplexingly, is the main antagonist.

So in summary, terribly plotted, terribly written, terrible characters. Also, the world building is sparse and the romance plot excruciating.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
CoCage said:
Dreiko said:
saint of m said:
Lets see here:

For Manga:

Love Hina: While Tenchi Muyo was my first Harem Anime, it did alot of things right, like haveing a protagonist that could do awsome moments and not be a the world's greatest punching bag. Love hina is a cavalcade of abuse that makes me wonder how this guy could survive and how small his spine is. I played against Goblins armies in Warhammer and 40K, and they were less cowardly and they were bloody goblins. Yes there is fanservice galor, but I've seen better with better reasons to want to hook up with the guy in Air Gear.

Books: Catcher In the Rye: I get why its considered important for literature, but at the same time this is a book done from the perspective of a whiny emo hipster you want to strangle with their own pretentiousness. There are maybe three or four fictional characters that made me want to do that, and this was one of them.
Love Hina is popular because it just had really varied and likeable female characters in a time where there wasn't as much variety, not because people liked the protagonist lmao. Akamatsu Ken is one of the better known romance/harem mangaka out there due to his ahead-of-the-curve tendency to capture cuteness and adorableness in his female characters in new and imaginative ways. Also, the second to last volume of LH is prolly the funniest manga I've ever read, not sure if you've gotten that far into the story, but that part where everyone's chasing the protagonist trying to marry him is just consistently knee-slapping fun.

Oh and don't look down on goblins if you know what's good for your womenfolk. *GS flashbacks*
Most of the girls/women aren't likeable nor funny. When you most of your girls an obnoxious level of dick, *****, pussy, or asshole (with Naru being the combination of all 4) they ain't sympathetic, likeable, or funny. I hate the double standard female on male abuse is funny (This means you too Kagome Higarashi & Anna Kyoyama). The manga industry definitely had a problem with this. Just because it's a comdey, does not make it okay or good. Naru is one of the worst "love" interests in anime/manga history and no man or woman in their right mind would stick around in relationship with that *****. She is the worst tsundere and lead to over a 1000 of imitators either being the same, or worse with little to no justification. All of the women in Tenchi, even Ryoko, are nicer than her and most of the main female cast. At least they cared and respected Tenchi. Most of the women in Love Hina don't, or Keitaro has to go through their absurd, pathetic standards. The only good thin you can say now is that Love Hina is not fondly remembered now (more so fans and non-fans from the West). Probably from people realizing that women can be abusive assholes to men, and are not to be sympathetic just because they're the opposite gender.
What you're doing here is the same thing PETA was doing regarding the old Road Runner cartoons, calling it animal abuse because anvils and tnt and a bunch of other things all harmed Wily Coyote.

Clearly, those scenes do not depict actual domestic violence. They are mere physical and sexual slapstic comedy. To liken them to anything non-humorous is to decontextualize them.

As for why it was liked, in practically every case where the protagonist was smacked around and launched into orbit like Team Rocket, he would have somehow ended up accidentally peeping or fondling or falling on one of the characters, such a thing is called a "lucky sukebe" and it is a fortunate event, despite being launched into orbit, cause you got to cop a feel or get an eyeful to earn it, so compared to that being uppercutted was nothing worth minding haha.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dreiko said:
What you're doing here is the same thing PETA was doing regarding the old Road Runner cartoons, calling it animal abuse because anvils and tnt and a bunch of other things all harmed Wily Coyote.

At least Wily brought it on himself 99% of the time.

Clearly, those scenes do not depict actual domestic violence. They are mere physical and sexual slapstic comedy. To liken them to anything non-humorous is to decontextualize them.

As for why it was liked, in practically every case where the protagonist was smacked around and launched into orbit like Team Rocket, he would have somehow ended up accidentally peeping or fondling or falling on one of the characters, such a thing is called a "lucky sukebe" and it is a fortunate event, despite being launched into orbit, cause you got to cop a feel or get an eyeful to earn it, so compared to that being uppercutted was nothing worth minding haha.

Just because it's a "comedy" does not make it any less a domestic abuse issue. The running gags get old and tiring real fast. I know you have this weird, bending over backwards, to defend almost anything Japanese to an illogical degree or making pathetic excuses, so save it. I don't give a shit. Bad comedy is bad comedy. Sure, it's funny if you're an abusive ***** like Naru or defending double standard abuse. So you're not fooling any one but yourself and those gullible enough to believe you. Don't bother responding back, you'll waste a post.

Drathnoxis said:
I also listened to that same audio recording in class. Nothing against the guy reading it and doing his job, but hearing him reading Holden's line just made me loathe the arrogant butt fuck even more. If you find him relatable & sympathetic to you, more power to you. To me and over millions of others, no.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Gethsemani said:
40k has a lot of lore, there's no denying that, and anything else would be strange after some 35 years of constant expansion of the franchise. But 40k lore is not coherent, it is not internally consistent and often straight out contradictory. Let's go back to the Space Marine example that both I and Thaluikhain have touched upon: In some stories you get 5 Assault Marines defeating 2 million Orks in urban fighting and securing a town on their own, in others they are Special Forces, in yet others they are a force multiplier like armored battalions.
The Space Marines, at face value, are absurd. There are apparently 1,000 chapters, each of which generally has 1000 space marines. Right, so that's an entire galaxy patrolled by an army about the same size as the modern-day USA's (if we include reservists), in a universe with planet-annihilating cosmic war. This only makes sense if 5 Space Marines really can take on 2 million Orks, but that's not how the tabletop wargame works. What do you actually plan to defend with a space marine chapter? One, modest-sized town on the outskirts of one megalopolis in a whole hive world? Distribute them across the Eastern Front in WW2, you'll have one space marine per 3 km. Could have given Nazi Germany a space marine chapter, and the Soviets would still have won. The number of Space Marines needs to be increased by, I would suggest, about two orders of magnitude if not three, and even then they need to be viewed as special forces, with the Imperial Guard being the regular army.

But then, Games Workshop is really about designing extremely derivative products and mashing them all together, plus the complication of not really having a guiding, central designer to assist coherence. The handy thing about derivative stuff is that people can immediately get a sense of comforting familiarity. The Space Wolves are Space Vikings. Everyone remotely aware of SF&F knows what an orc (ork) or elf (eldar) is. Space Marines from Heinlein, Chaos from Moorcock, the whole of WFB is basically just slightly mashed-up Europe, and so on.

Where I will give it leeway is that it seems to me even 40k is told in terms of ancient legend, where history constantly blends with or has turned into myth: I'm sure there was a real siege of Troy, but the one told by Homer is what we have. We play 40k, we're playing the legend, not the history. Forget it ever being realistic.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Agema said:
Could have given Nazi Germany a space marine chapter, and the Soviets would still have won. The number of Space Marines needs to be increased by, I would suggest, about two orders of magnitude if not three, and even then they need to be viewed as special forces, with the Imperial Guard being the regular army.
Technically, a Chapter is about 1,000 marines, plus some boring support bits they don't usually mention like their own multiple capital ships. Keep Chapters the same size, have them function as independent battlefleets with Space Marines to do boarding actions (like their name implies) and they work again.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Hawki said:
-Wheel of Time (no, seriously, I don't get it. I've read the first three books, they're okay, but to generate the fan fervor it does? WoT starts off as LotR-lite, then becomes its own thing, but I can't really describe what that "thing" actually is. It's like some weird middle ground between LotR and A Song of Ice and Fire, and doesn't satisfy me, yet apparently, satisfies enough people that it has its own convention)
I mean, you kind of hit it on the head. It's like LotR if the Wizards actually did things with a generally more interesting stockpiles of monsters and such. Then the latter books essentially become Game of Thrones, but again with the broader more regular fantasy elements thrown in.

Which all in all makes sense that I don't find GoT interesting, and would consider most of the middle books of WoT (where they're trying to unite all the kingdoms) kind of dull and fillerish.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Dreiko said:
A woman abusing and beating up a man is a plausible situation. A sentient coyote mail ordering explosives to catch a single impossibly fast bird is not. THat's a difference.

Clearly, those scenes do not depict actual domestic violence. They are mere physical and sexual slapstic comedy.
Even if that's the case, Cosmic Butt Monkies get old really really quick.

So if a male does something awkward through no fault of their own, they deserve violence? This is a shit trope and it deserves to get shit upon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Smithnikov said:
Dreiko said:
A woman abusing and beating up a man is a plausible situation. A sentient coyote mail ordering explosives to catch a single impossibly fast bird is not. THat's a difference.

Clearly, those scenes do not depict actual domestic violence. They are mere physical and sexual slapstic comedy.

So if a male does something awkward through no fault of their own, they deserve violence? This is a shit trope and it deserves to get shit upon.
The Accidental Pervert joke. One of the most annoying, contrived, over used jokes in anime. Whether it be shounen, shoujo, or seinen (though they do it there less frequently). And thank you for pointing out Dreiko's flawed logic.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
Technically, a Chapter is about 1,000 marines, plus some boring support bits they don't usually mention like their own multiple capital ships. Keep Chapters the same size, have them function as independent battlefleets with Space Marines to do boarding actions (like their name implies) and they work again.
Yeah. I'm aware implicitly there are all the logistics, crew, etc. - it's also not clear whether the 1000 also includes the guys presumably driving the land raiders, etc. But even still, 1000 front-line men is a bizarrely small number that approximates to fuck all. Even it were 1000 on regular standby, but with 10-100 times that in cryogenic storage on their ships that could be unfrozen when needed it would make far more sense.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
CoCage said:
The Accidental Pervert joke. One of the most annoying, contrived, over used jokes in anime. Whether it be shounen, shoujo, or seinan (though they do it there less frequently). And thank you for pointing out Dreiko's flawed logic.
It's almost certainly a Japanese thing - cultural differences and all, because the Japanese are super-reserved in polite society. Copping a feel in European or American society isn't half so tough in comparison.

Some of the Japanese stuff is amusingly super-weird. I'm sure when I was Akihabara I saw a few posters of an extraordinarily buxom anime woman with the English translation something like "Erotic dreams of older sister". Umm, okay guys. And that's before you get to the tentacle porn.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
CoCage said:
Smithnikov said:
Dreiko said:

The Accidental Pervert joke. One of the most annoying, contrived, over used jokes in anime. Whether it be shounen, shoujo, or seinan (though they do it there less frequently). And thank you for pointing out Dreiko's flawed logic.
I've personally long assumed this kind of comedy grew out as a reaction the fact that in real life in Japan, its women do get groped and harassed in public and onus is put on the woman to not react and remain dignified and stoic as they're being assaulted to either ride it out until it passes or someone - usually a man - steps in to put a stop to it. So stuff like what you see in Love Hina is born out of frustration with that.

I could of course, be hideously wrong.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Smithnikov said:
Dreiko said:

Again, you're decontextualizing things.

There's actual violence, then there's cartoony slapstic "violence" which is actually just funny. You know like how the three stooges would slap eachother and poke eachother in the eyes and a bunch of silly stuff? Like that.

Those scenes are MUCH more akin to being hit with a boulder that was balanced atop a mountain of tnt than any sort of thing that'd be realistically recognizable as a woman hitting a man in an abusive way. You literally have scenes where someone is punched so hard they fly off onto the horizon with a little twinkle star sound. Nobody rational will take that as depicting some sort of domestic violence situation.

And again, you're changing what is happening to it being what you want it to be. These are scenes where a man is living out a harem fantasy, and a minor setback is that he comically gets launched into orbit like Team Rocket. He is not harmed in any real or permanent way, he is not traumatized, he isn't living in fear, nothing, when he does something "awkward" (completely inaccurate term to apply, these are more like divine accidents that would never happen in reality no matter how awkward you are) he is actually enjoying himself and then is rebuked for being a perv, which he is inadvertently being lol.

Gordon_4 said:
CoCage said:
Smithnikov said:
Dreiko said:

I've personally long assumed this kind of comedy grew out as a reaction the fact that in real life in Japan, its women do get groped and harassed in public and onus is put on the woman to not react and remain dignified and stoic as they're being assaulted to either ride it out until it passes or someone - usually a man - steps in to put a stop to it. So stuff like what you see in Love Hina is born out of frustration with that.

I could of course, be hideously wrong.

You're kinda wrong but not in the way you think you are.

Part of the joke in those scenes is just how undignified the women are, too, since they do obviously over-react to a lot of less invasive stuff than like, falling onto them on the bath buck naked cause you saw boobs and got startled so bad you slipped onto nothing and fell on them into a perfect 69 position somehow lol.

So it's not as much a reaction against as it is reinforcing those cultural norms.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Dreiko said:
He is not harmed in any real or permanent way, he is not traumatized, he isn't living in fear, nothing, when he does something "awkward"
You mean like a believable human fucking being WOULD BE?

Yea, you just summed up one reason I checked out of anime.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Smithnikov said:
Dreiko said:
He is not harmed in any real or permanent way, he is not traumatized, he isn't living in fear, nothing, when he does something "awkward"

Don't let people like Dreiko or the shitty anime/manga that is Love Hina ruin anime for you. There is plenty of good out there. If you ever decide to dive back in, I am more than happy to help you.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Smithnikov said:
Dreiko said:

If you want a believable or realistic story out of a romantic gag anime, you're barking up the wrong tree lmao.

This is about fun and fantasy, not realism.

There are definitely other genres of anime where you can get that, re:zero is a pretty good example. You just gotta recognize when the show you're watching is just being wacky and fun and isn't intended to be treated with the same seriousness than other things are. You should be able to notice when a show has magical flying turtles that the show isn't going for realism but just wacky zany fun and suspend your disbelief.

Realistically, no guy ever would ever get in the predicaments the protagonist gets in, because they are all, like I said, divine accidents that are impossibly unlikely to occur, just one of them would be a miracle, having all of them occur to one person just is not possible. So to just accept that someone does have all those things happen to them but only start caring about realism past that point doesn't make sense. The moment you accepted that someone can be this blind without their glasses on that they can't tell a random guy from a woman they've lived with for years in the baths, you've accepted that realism is not part of the discussion any longer.

Also, if you did get punched and get launched into orbit somehow, you'd not be traumatized, you'd just be dead from the impact that such a punch would require. If you accept that the person didn't die from this, you've already long abandoned realism.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Smithnikov said:
This is like checking out of live-action film because of Troll 2, or checking out of literature because of Fifty Shades.

It'd be a damn shame if this was the reason you overlooked Studio Ghibli, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, etc

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silvanus said:
Smithnikov said:
This is like checking out of live-action film because of Troll 2, or checking out of literature because of Fifty Shades.

It'd be a damn shame if this was the reason you overlooked Studio Ghibli, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, etc
I've seen everything except Fullmetal Alchemist from that list and love them all aso I'm taking that as a recommendation.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Silvanus said:
Smithnikov said:
Well, I can go to IMDBs Top 250 and not get complete garbage like Elfen Lied [https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=popular&n=100]. To get even something say 7/10 good in anime, I gotta filter by basically "best ever" and then roll a 20 on a D20 to get lucky enough to actually pick something that's good. Whereas Troll 2 is 2.9 and Fifty Shades is 4.1 on IMDB so I know they suck while Elfen Lied is fucking 8.0 on IMDB.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Phoenixmgs said:
Well, I can go to IMDBs Top 250 and not get complete garbage like Elfen Lied [https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php?top50=popular&n=100]. To get even something say 7/10 good in anime, I gotta filter by basically "best ever" and then roll a 20 on a D20 to get lucky enough to actually pick something that's good. Whereas Troll 2 is 2.9 and Fifty Shades is 4.1 on IMDB so I know they suck while Elfen Lied is fucking 8.0 on IMDB.
Maybe this tells you more about IMDB.

Ok, that was facetious. But lots of people appreciate & watch shitty anime, so it distorts scores on sites like IMDB. A better comparison would be a specific genre like Horror; there's a lot of shite with scores of 7+. Doesn't mean the genre is bad.