inFamous Developer: You Can't Do That on a 360

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
When a non-exclusive dev comes out and says something along the lines of "Alright, look, we tried. WE really did, but there's no way we can run this at the same quality in X as on Y. We're sorry, but we're just not going to be able to release this on X." Then I might believe it. But anyone who spouts this shit without actually trying is flaming...

Still I must say I've yet to see anything as impressive as God of War 3 on the 360, especially with the virtually non-existent load-times...but again no-one has tried.

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Vaccine said:
Remember the Air Force buying a shitton of PS3s for processing power?, they didn't buy 360's for processing power.
I'd rethink that statement, lol.
No they bought them because the original ps3s had the other os feature so that you can run linux on it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
Because graphics equal substance, right?

Come on devs, stop thinking graphics mean shit, people practically blew drug dealers to get Modern Warfare 2 and it looked like a game from 2005.
Not that I'm saying I liked MW2 personally, but it certainly didn't sell on graphics.
I don't recall him mentioning anything about graphics/visuals, only processing power. And it's not only that, people forget about the Blu-Ray disc that can hold several times more than the 360's DVD-9s.

GamesB2 said:
That is be yu double ell honkey.

Sounds like a Sony written statement.

The PS3 and Xbox can handle pretty much exactly the same.

The PS3 has technically stronger processing power... but only marginally.

And the Xbox has technically better hardware.
Because clearly you know everything about the interior of a console because you are a game developer. I should only listen to you instead of the actual game developer who spends his time trying to learn the console to develop games on twice already .

HuCast said:
Rage will prove him wrong ;)
If I can stop being a cynic for a second, I wasn't really impressed by what I saw from Rage. It looked like a general shooter, I really didn't know what was so special about it. Is it the graphics/visuals? I guess, but like other people said before, graphics don't really mean much. In a preview, when Adam Sessler was going "This was made on 360 hardware?!?" I was thinking "So? MGS4 looked that pretty before."

I dunno, I'm probably just jaded right now as nothing impresses me much anymore. Code legend or not, I don't really care much for id's games really. But in general, if you have to sacrifice quality of any kind, be it graphics, visuals, responsiveness, or a single line of dialouge, then it shouldn't be ported. Either give the same experience or non at all, I think anyway.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Ouch, Microsoft!
I have both consoles, so I don't care myself.

But that must suck for people who only have 360's.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Generic_Dave said:
When a non-exclusive dev comes out and says something along the lines of "Alright, look, we tried. WE really did, but there's no way we can run this at the same quality in X as on Y. We're sorry, but we're just not going to be able to release this on X." Then I might believe it. But anyone who spouts this shit without actually trying is flaming...

Still I must say I've yet to see anything as impressive as God of War 3 on the 360, especially with the virtually non-existent load-times...but again no-one has tried.
Metal Gear Solid 4

How many times has Kojima stated that it's impossible/extremely difficult to port MGS4 to the 360? Seriously, people still bug him about it.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Vaccine said:
The Austin said:
I officially call bullshit.

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty damn sure that the Xbox and the PS3 can both handle the exact same things.

Next time, I hope they just say, "Yeah, screw Xbox, we like PS3 more."
Remember the Air Force buying a shitton of PS3s for processing power?, they didn't buy 360's for processing power.
I'd rethink that statement, lol.
Remember how Halo used the same excuse for 360? Rememer how Crysis was too mutch to put on consoles, and now the sequil is coming out for both platforms, because they can BOTH handle it?

Yeah, as I said.
I'm pretty damn sick of different developers beting the shit out of each other.

And, by the way, they bought PS3's for Linux.

Nin9Worlds

Jun 7, 2010
Sucker Punch are a very talented bunch of people, same as Naughty Dog and i'm happy they are getting full support from Sony. I believe exclusivity is only good for game development, on any platform.

That said, i'm really not surprised to hear this sort of thing from a in-house development team, and having loved Infamous, im still not sure i like Cole's new look. He had a more dark and grim persona. He looks a lot younger, and less badassy :p.

And Ice power? Come on Sucker Punch!!! Give us Magnetic powers like Magneto or sum'!!! I would be a better fit, i believe.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
PCs have more processing power, especially if you can make the engine run mostly on GPU power.

GPU power > CPU power.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, that's basically confirming what Sony has said for years. Glad I believed them in the first place...

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Whoa a developer exclusive to a certain console saying that the other one is inadequate??? STOP THE PRESSES GUYS!!!

Jumplion said:
Metal Gear Solid 4

How many times has Kojima stated that it's impossible/extremely difficult to port MGS4 to the 360? Seriously, people still bug him about it.
That has more to do with the fact that in order to port a game designed specifically for the PS3's cell processor you'd have to essentially re-code the entire game to get it to work on a 360 (or PC for that matter) and less with the PS3 being some almighty technological god.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
BWAHAHAHAHA!! He really thinks inFamous is a "complex" game? What a joke! Sorry, I would believe this coming from someone at Naughty Dog (as Uncharted 2 was mentioned) or Insomniac, but Sucker Punch? You guys obviously have a far overinflated opinion of your game. Quite frankly, it was just another run of the mill third person shooter, and not a very good one at that. The only reason it wouldn't be on 360 is because the 360 has so many more and so many higher quality third person shooters that it doesn't need your drivel.

At this point, the only thing I'm going to look at inFamous 2 and say is "Chris Zimmerman is the Peter Molyneux of PS3, he can't deliver on his promises."

Burwood123

Dec 2, 2009
The Austin said:

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty damn sure that the Xbox and the PS3 can both handle the exact same things.

PS3 has tons more power, deal with it.. it's fact http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080519180707AANumkW all the numbers favour sony

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
And yet you can do it all on the PC.
The Austin said:
Rememer how Crysis was too mutch to put on consoles, and now the sequil is coming out for both platforms, because they can BOTH handle it?
Crysis 2 on consoles will look fine, but it won't look like it will on a capable PC. Hell, Crysis 2 on consoles probably won't look even as good as the original Crysis on a capable PC.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
For someone with such a complex job, this guy speaking a lot of shit. It's almost as if he wants to make people fight. Moron.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Burwood123 said:
The Austin said:

PS3 has tons more power, deal with it.. it's fact http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=19237 all the numbers favour sony
UM...You know what you just linked shows the 360's GPU ahead in every single aspect right? Or were you being sarcastic?

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
GamesB2 said:
And the Xbox has technically better hardware.
I can only assume you mean something other than quality, since, like, the first five waves of xbox's RRoDed, enough so that the only way to fix it was to remove the red lights.

And I don't think that anyone is going to deny that the xbox 360 is a fine machine, and it can match the PS3 in memory, HDD speed and space, and even the BUS speed, but the PS3s processor(s) is on a whole different playing field.

EinTheCorgi

Jun 6, 2010
ok guys i dont understand why you guys are getting pissy its a money thing its always about money also PS3 has lost quite a lot of there prized exclusives to the 360 so both party's need to cram it and play your damn games because thats why we're here because we love gaming.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Bigeyez said:
Whoa a developer exclusive to a certain console saying that the other one is inadequate??? STOP THE PRESSES GUYS!!!

Jumplion said:
Metal Gear Solid 4

That has more to do with the fact that in order to port a game designed specifically for the PS3's cell processor you'd have to essentially re-code the entire game to get it to work on a 360 (or PC for that matter) and less with the PS3 being some almighty technological god.
...exactly...

So a game designed specifically around a certain piece of hardware that has to be entirely recoded just to play on another console isn't a showing of that certain hardware's prowess? That's like saying "It's not impossible to make L4D to only take up 4kb of space [http://www.mojang.com/notch/j4k/l4kd/], you just have to specialize it so it can fit!" (that's a fun game by the by, just sayin')

A bus and a car may essentially be the same, but you don't drive a bus the same way you drive a car. You need to learn a special way to drive one.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Jumplion said:
I don't recall him mentioning anything about graphics/visuals, only processing power. And it's not only that, people forget about the Blu-Ray disc that can hold several times more than the 360's DVD-9s.
What they seem to be implying is that the PS3 will have better graphics is because "it can handle more", but I have yet to really be wowed by much I'm seeing on the PS3.

Maybe it's because I'm not a graphics man, maybe it's because I really hate "MINE IS BETTER THAN YOURS" but I'm just not seeing the consoles really being very special.