inFamous Developer: You Can't Do That on a 360

Jul 22, 2009
Jumplion said:
I'm a massive gaming enthusiast and I am an aspiring game developer (how pathetic does that "aspiring" sound ¬_¬) Anyway I often try to find the specifications/sales/other information most people wouldn't care about on games and systems.

And In my slightly educated opinion this sounds like complete bull.

It's still early for me being a student who stays up until 4 gaming and watching anime. but from what I can remember the PS3 boasts having more cores, where several of them are not "true" cores in a sense, but rather they imitate with less actual power.

Yes it's true the Xbox has less power but it is a remodelled PC when we get down to it. But what matters is on the inside. The Xbox uses an IBM CPU consisting of three 3.2 GHz cores which Are less than the PS3s 7 or so, but each one is better equipped because the PS3 uses SPE cores which are less complex.

Basically I do actually know quite a lot and just because I'm not as qualified as a game dev at a company doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Bigeyez said:
UM...You know what you just linked shows the 360's GPU ahead in every single aspect right? Or were you being sarcastic?
Burwood123 said:
PS3 has tons more power, deal with it.. it's fact http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=19237 all the numbers favour sony
That chart is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy back in 2006. Is there an updated version of it now?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I have the strangest feeling that this has happened before...
Deja vu anyone?

Edit: You know what? Maybe all the game developers are on the same side and they say these things just because they like to watch the fanboys scramble.

Apr 28, 2008
This just in, a console exclusive developer says their console of choice is the only one that can handle their games.

At least Epic had the decency to admit that they could have just as easily made Gears for the PS3.

Oh, but that statement wasn't controversial, so everyone ignored it.

And it doesn't matter what console is better, all are just baby toys compared to the almighty PC!
Ok I'll stop.

Jul 22, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
GamesB2 said:
And the Xbox has technically better hardware.
I can only assume you mean something other than quality, since, like, the first five waves of xbox's RRoDed, enough so that the only way to fix it was to remove the red lights.

And I don't think that anyone is going to deny that the xbox 360 is a fine machine, and it can match the PS3 in memory, HDD speed and space, and even the BUS speed, but the PS3s processor(s) is on a whole different playing field.
The PS3 has more processing cores at a grand total of 7 (I think) The xbox only has 3 but each of the Xbox cores are much better quality than the PS3 cores.

So each does pretty much the same thing in a slightly different way.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
The Austin said:
I officially call bullshit.

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty damn sure that the Xbox and the PS3 can both handle the exact same things.

Next time, I hope they just say, "Yeah, screw Xbox, we like PS3 more."
Yeeeah, their processing power is pretty nearly equivocal. The PS3 is slightly more powerful... unless you optimize and use the SPUs to their fullest, which is absurdly difficult, hence why only a couple of studios are even bothering. In the cases when it does work it really works well, but... yeah, I'm not convinced the effort's worth it just yet. I didn't see anything in Infamous 1 that indicated it couldn't have been a 360 game, and what I've seen in Uncharted 2 is purely cosmetic elements--and what Naughty Dog emphasized most when talking about it wasn't the processing power, but rather the fact that they could depend on the console having a hard drive no matter what model gamers bought.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Jumplion said:
Bigeyez said:
Whoa a developer exclusive to a certain console saying that the other one is inadequate??? STOP THE PRESSES GUYS!!!

Jumplion said:
Metal Gear Solid 4

How many times has Kojima stated that it's impossible/extremely difficult to port MGS4 to the 360? Seriously, people still bug him about it.
That has more to do with the fact that in order to port a game designed specifically for the PS3's cell processor you'd have to essentially re-code the entire game to get it to work on a 360 (or PC for that matter) and less with the PS3 being some almighty technological god.
...exactly...

So a game designed specifically around a certain piece of hardware that has to be entirely recoded just to play on another console isn't a showing of that certain hardware's prowess? That's like saying "It's not impossible to make L4D to only take up 4kb of space [http://www.mojang.com/notch/j4k/l4kd/], you just have to specialize it so it can fit!" (that's a fun game by the by, just sayin')

A bus and a car may essentially be the same, but you don't drive a bus the same way you drive a car. You need to learn a special way to drive one.
Um in a word No, or at least thats not what I'm trying to say. The best analogy I can come up with off the top of my head is a Mac and PC. A program built to run specifically on the Mac would need tweaking and in some cases serious rewriting to run correctly on a PC. That doesn't mean that Macs are technologically superior it just means the programs architype and structure is completely different. Does that clear it up a bit more?
Jumplion said:
Bigeyez said:
UM...You know what you just linked shows the 360's GPU ahead in every single aspect right? Or were you being sarcastic?
Burwood123 said:
PS3 has tons more power, deal with it.. it's fact http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=19237 all the numbers favour sony
That chart is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy back in 2006. Is there an updated version of it now?
I'm not sure but I wouldn't trust any of those numbers anyway. Who knows where they got those figures from.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I'm fairly sure they're just whoring over the PS3 but I'll wait until i see the game.

I'm pretty sure any game can be done on both consoles if you do some optimizing.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
GamesB2 said:
That is be yu double ell honkey.

Sounds like a Sony written statement.

The PS3 and Xbox can handle pretty much exactly the same.

The PS3 has technically stronger processing power... but only marginally.

And the Xbox has technically better hardware.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
While I have no reason to doubt the developers that say "X isn't graphically capable on Y system," I'd sure like to see someone try. :) Yaknow, just once. Mythbust that biotch! I want to see (and I know I never well) a team of ps3 and 360 coders team up and code something for the other system with a game that appearantly is not possible on the other system. In this case, a 360 version of Infamous 2.

And I said Mythbust it. So that means two things; emulate the process, and simulate the results. Do what it takes!

(then blow it up with 200 pounds of TNT....)

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
I'm calling BS on this one. If you can get Rage or Crysis 2 to run on a 360, then you can certainly get a game that is significantly worse looking to run. It's just that Sony either paid them off or they are too lazy to optimize code/engine.

Edit: Same as I would call any 360 exclusive dev saying that a game can only run on the 360. I harbor no bias.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Burwood123 said:
The Austin said:
I officially call bullshit.

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty damn sure that the Xbox and the PS3 can both handle the exact same things.

Next time, I hope they just say, "Yeah, screw Xbox, we like PS3 more."
PS3 has tons more power, deal with it.. it's fact http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080519180707AANumkW all the numbers favour sony
Frankly, I have no idea how to read that thing.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
What they seem to be implying is that the PS3 will have better graphics is because "it can handle more", but I have yet to really be wowed by much I'm seeing on the PS3.

Maybe it's because I'm not a graphics man, maybe it's because I really hate "MINE IS BETTER THAN YOURS" but I'm just not seeing the consoles really being very special.
Where does he imply that it's because of the graphics? All I've read is processing power which is supposed to be used for mostly everything, or so I've heard.

GamesB2 said:
I'm a massive gaming enthusiast and I am an aspiring game developer (how pathetic does that "aspiring" sound ¬_¬) Anyway I often try to find the specifications/sales/other information most people wouldn't care about on games and systems.

And In my slightly educated opinion this sounds like complete bull.

It's still early for me being a student who stays up until 4 gaming and watching anime. but from what I can remember the PS3 boasts having more cores, where several of them are not "true" cores in a sense, but rather they imitate with less actual power.

Yes it's true the Xbox has less power but it is a remodelled PC when we get down to it. But what matters is on the inside. The Xbox uses an IBM CPU consisting of three 3.2 GHz cores which Are less than the PS3s 7 or so, but each one is better equipped because the PS3 uses SPE cores which are less complex.

Basically I do actually know quite a lot and just because I'm not as qualified as a game dev at a company doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.
Alright then, I apologize if I came off as ignorant. I'm not much of a tech junkie, HOWEVER, most people who go around like that tend to come off as trying to act smart to me, when they're not. But I've heard those specs parroted over and over again, and they do not make the PS3 all of a sudden obsolete in tech.

Regardless, even if you are a developer in training, there's a lot you don't know I'm sure. People think that coding must mean that everything is exactly this, or that there's no potential for whateverthehell to get howeverhigher. Just because John Carmack or whatever goes around, saying "The PS3 is hard to develop for because [blah blah blah], that's why it's not efficient!" doesn't mean that there isn't a way around it. (though this is coming from an ignorant Sony fanboy, so what to I know)

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I didn't realize processing power made games more fun. I also didn't realize that the XBox 360 didn't have enough processing power to have fun in the first place. Looks like all the fun I had on it was a lie!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
zakski said:
Vaccine said:
Remember the Air Force buying a shitton of PS3s for processing power?, they didn't buy 360's for processing power.
I'd rethink that statement, lol.
No they bought them because the original ps3s had the other os feature so that you can run linux on it.
um... if that was the reason they wouldnt have bought ps3's... >.> they would have bought linux computers...

Jul 22, 2009
Jumplion said:
Alright then, I apologize if I came off as ignorant. I'm not much of a tech junkie, HOWEVER, most people who go around like that tend to come off as trying to act smart to me, when they're not. But I've heard those specs parroted over and over again, and they do not make the PS3 all of a sudden obsolete in tech.

Regardless, even if you are a developer in training, there's a lot you don't know I'm sure. People think that coding must mean that everything is exactly this, or that there's no potential for whateverthehell to get howeverhigher. Just because John Carmack or whatever goes around, saying "The PS3 is hard to develop for because [blah blah blah], that's why it's not efficient!" doesn't mean that there isn't a way around it. (though this is coming from an ignorant Sony fanboy, so what to I know)
Meh no worries I probably do come of sounding as superior and without reason most of the time but I try my best to be unbiased and glean as many facts as possible before diving head first into a debate.

From what I know about the technology of each console. They do almost exactly the same thing, albeit in two slightly different ways. The PS3 sort of brutishly multi-tasks but it can be made a lot smoother if you spend time with the hardware in question.

The Xbox is a modified PC meaning all the hardware and dev tools have been circulating for years so it's a lot easier to program for, and the Higher quality CPUs likely mean it can multi-task slightly less but with more efficiency.

It could be all of this is the ramblings of a mad man but I like to think I know what I'm doing.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Enigmers said:
I didn't realize processing power made games more fun. I also didn't realize that the XBox 360 didn't have enough processing power to have fun in the first place. Looks like all the fun I had on it was a lie!
Well apparently the Xbox 360 doesn't have enough processing power to process the power of fun contained within Infamous 2 or Uncharted 2.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Zing said:
Enigmers said:
Well apparently the Xbox 360 doesn't have enough processing power to process the power of fun contained within Infamous 2 or Uncharted 2.
By that logic, the NASA/government supercomputers must be the most fun in the world! Hold on, I gotta go steal one now.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Bigeyez said:
Um in a word No, or at least thats not what I'm trying to say. The best analogy I can come up with off the top of my head is a Mac and PC. A program built to run specifically on the Mac would need tweaking and in some cases serious rewriting to run correctly on a PC. That doesn't mean that Macs are technologically superior it just means the programs architype and structure is completely different. Does that clear it up a bit more?
But that's exactly why these developers say that "[Insert PS3 game here] is impossible on 360", they've built the game around a certain piece of hardware, converting everything just to make the game run on another console is not a really good definition of "possible" to me.

You have to change the game a lot just to make it the same on another console.

Seriously, PS3 developers have been saying "[Blah blah blah] is not possible on [blah blah blah]" for a while now, isn't it possible that there's some validity to this now?

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
I love the people in this thread yelling, graphics don't mean shit, he isn't just talking about graphics, he is talking about things such as how much you can have going on at once, and the distance you can view things at. Like if you play GTAIV on Xbox and PS3, then you'll notice that flying around on the Xbox, buildings just appear out of no where, where as the PS3 you can see them from much great distances, and that's just a ported game.