Infuriating social faux pas

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Things people do in certain situations that just piss you off to no end.

For me, it's this: I'll be telling a story or joke of some kind to some friends. Then one of those people shows up. The irritating one who is oblivious to how irritating they are, and immediately talk over you with some other story. So you say "hey, I was in the middle of telling a story here" and they utter that most infuriating of hypocritical phrases: "hey, just let me finish!"

The really annoying thing is it's either right when you've just started the anecdote, or you're just reaching the best part/punchline. Even when they have about five or so people telling them to shut up and wait, they power blindly on until everyone's just like "eh, let's just wait for him to finish..." and your own story doesn't have the same impact it would because the flow has been ruined.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
1) people eating with their mouth open.
2) eyerolling
3) a lack of understanding I'd prefer no radio or music on than an arguement over differences in musical taste. ( Sometimes it's nice to talk or work without some background noise)

El Presidente

Dec 26, 2011
The one-upsman. The one who hears you tell a story, then immediately chimes in with his own. If it's a story about something you've accomplished, he'll try to make it seem insignificant compared to his own. If it's about something else, he'll talk about something similar that he feels will make him seem more interesting/knowledgable. They always do this, even if it's blatantly bullshit. You can easily tell these apart from people who just think "I have an interesting story on this topic too, if I share it they might find it entertaining" by the smugness they radiate and the fact they do it all the god damn time.

Don't be that guy.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
That guy who asks you a question that has absolutely no relation to what is going on or purpose other than for him to segway off of your answer into him answering his own question for attention.

effilctar

Jul 24, 2009
That one person who feels obligated to give their opinion on everything, even if they don't have a clue what they're on about.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
A particular friend of mine who constantly speaks out against another member of our class, no matter what the situation, and also goes out of his way to comment on things he doesn't like. The fact that he can't seem to comprehend that different people like different things, and is always deriding people who don't like the same things as him and think the same way as him drives me up the wall.

Also, people who don't say thanks when you hold the door open for them, and people who don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
People who try to be funny in a serious conversation, usually a third person who's not involved in the conversation.
For instance, if I am having a discussion about real-world politics, or race-issues, or theology, or whatever, and a third guy butts in and pulls a pun, or whatever, I usually politely tell him that we're being serious here. If this guy doesn't accept that, but two minutes later enters with another remark, I can really lose my cool.
This goes for IRL-trolling too, when someone takes a really stupid stance in an argument, and you can see he doesn't support it, but just does it to be "funny".

Darh Abdomino

Sep 20, 2010
The only real one I have is when people yell at you for interrupting, even when you aren't, and then interrupt you, repeatedly. Not even as petty vengeance, but just because they can.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I hate it when people tell or text me the score of the sports game I wanted to see. It makes me lose all interest in watching the game and it infuriates me immensely.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Unnecessary germ spreading behaviors: coughing, sniveling, sneezing, nose wiping, face-touching, coming into public when they know they are sick, bringing their sick kid into public spaces. It amazes me how people get upset and righteous about second-hand smoke but tolerate germ spreading.

Stravant

May 14, 2011
When I hear people laughing over terrible jokes that aren't even funny, it makes me rage very hard.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
*people who wear hats inside. once you leave the foyer, you hat comes off.
*flat-billed baseball caps. why do people think they look cool and why do hat makers feel they can charge twice as much as a normal ball cap?
*people who wear ridiculous hats just for sake of being different/to get attention. i love my ushanka, but i only wear it when it's genuinely needed.

i have a lot of hat-related pet peeves...