'[Insert genre I don't like] isn't real music'!

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Vault101 said:
AnarchistFish said:
Vault101 said:
Zeke63 said:
is pretty cool

...thats what you ment right?
I'm curious, what part or parts of dubstep do you listen to? Cos it's pretty varied.
to be fair I'm generally not big on dubstep (too much brostep crap, Skrillex's novelty wore off afer about 5 minutes) though there are a number of tracks I like

[spoiler/][/spoiler]
huuhh,, the bassnectar track doesn't sound much like dubstep. Sounds like a pretty standard 4x4 beat. It's good though.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
When you are on ecstasy, everything sounds like music.
So I believe that everything counts as music.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Spot1990 said:
Froggy Slayer said:
Remaiki said:
I feel left out now because everyone's talking about 'the incident' and I wasn't there. :(

...At any rate, I think that there is a certain point where music is not music anymore and is just noise - I liken it to so-called 'modern art'. Once, I was watching the BBC News, and I kid you not, there was a piece of 'art' that was literally a bunch of twigs laying on the floor. That cannot honestly be considered art, just as certain pieces of 'music' cannot honestly be considered music.
I must admit, it is strange how an artist can have a random arrangement of colours and still have something help us as art, and yet if a novelist wrote something with random letters, then there would be no chance of it ever being published.
You've clearly never heard of Finnegan's Wake.
Just did a quick check, though it is somewhat...nonsensical, there are still recongnisable words within the text. I hope to god that I don't have to study this in English Lit, though.

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
TopazFusion said:
IamQ said:
Oh man, does anyone have a link to the "dubstep is not music" thread with the guy who said he knew this because of some text book he read?
This thread?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.385982-Do-you-hate-people-who-argue-till-they-are-blue-in-the-face-even-though-you-know-they-are-wrong

The OP made that thread after getting upset in another thread (link included in the above thread, post number 6)
Oh yes - what a fun day that was to lurk on the escapist boards.

I really don't get why everyone gets so hung up on dubstep. Maybe because its because its the "extreme" music of the electronic genre.

But at some point every type of music has had all sorts of crap leveled at them for being vulgar or crass or not music or too anti-this or pro-that. Its just part of the "growing up" phase of any genre of music.

"The Marriage of Figario" was banned from being performed in Vienna for being too erotic due to some of the extreme high notes reached by the soprano singing it (basically they thought it sounded like she was having an orgasm).

People wanted to ban rock'n'roll (aka Elvis Presly which is incredibly easy going compared to a lot of modern music) when it became popular because of its apparently degrading mental influence on the masses and don't even get me started on such things as punk, metal and rap.

Even the mass produced x-factor/popidol/boyband/girlband/teeny sensation crap I wont deny is actually music. I think its shitty music but it would be like saying a Big Mac isn't food.

People tend to get a bit snobby about music sometimes and that's all it comes down to. They don't want there to be any link between what they like and the crap that YOU (you poor deluded child you) listen to because somehow that maybe degrades their music.

Probably something dumb like that anyway.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
huuhh,, the bassnectar track doesn't sound much like dubstep. Sounds like a pretty standard 4x4 beat. It's good though.
yeah I was a little unsure about that one..somone else said it wasnt dubstep

one of my favorites anyway

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Remaiki said:
I feel left out now because everyone's talking about 'the incident' and I wasn't there. :(

...At any rate, I think that there is a certain point where music is not music anymore and is just noise - I liken it to so-called 'modern art'. Once, I was watching the BBC News, and I kid you not, there was a piece of 'art' that was literally a bunch of twigs laying on the floor. That cannot honestly be considered art, just as certain pieces of 'music' cannot honestly be considered music.
I see where you're coming from and I can kind of understand why someone wouldn't see, say Stalaggh [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O5Px3_RJ3w] as music, but people will say it about anything they dislike. To use the examples in the OP, dubstep, rap and death metal all have recognizable rhythms and melodies, even if they're a bit abrasive sometimes. They all easily fit within every definition of music.
Stalaggh...I'd be hard pressed to call music. I wouldn't say that it isn't art, but it does seem more like an art piece through the medium of sound rather than 'music'.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Froggy Slayer said:
Can someone explain to me how this happens, where people come out of the woodwork to proclaim that by some divine proclamation dubstep/rap/death metal 'don't count' as music?
We lack the capacity to silence the undereducated.

Besides, dubstep isn't real music. :p

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'll just settle for "that's not music... to me."

I feel more confident about drawing a line between what constitutes singing, and what doesn't.

But you can also just say that it's terrible and not get into arguing semantics.

Bamba

Feb 12, 2013
Nu Metal. Its just a fake genre that doesnt even sound like metal at all. Its boring and sludgy. I cant believe its even called Nu Metal at all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Froggy Slayer said:
I must admit, it is strange how an artist can have a random arrangement of colours and still have something help us as art, and yet if a novelist wrote something with random letters, then there would be no chance of it ever being published.
To be fair, a novelist is far from the end-all of literary art.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
If the argument is, "Such and such is not MUSIC" then I absolutely agree that they're full of it. Its basically like saying Jackson Pollack isn't painting, which is ridiculous.

If the argument is, "Such and such is not ART" then that's a lot harder to answer. Art means different things to different people, and what qualifies as art is different in people's eyes.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that art is something with a story or a message involved, and that message or story should be, at least in some way, relatively clear. Now, it can be deep, complex, or even convoluted, with multiple layers of meaning that not everyone will understand or appreciate, and that's ok, it's still art. But I think when you start to get into the realm of ridiculous, where the majority of people, even educated people, have to ask the meaning of a piece, then it's not art. Its like when you tell a joke and no one gets it, and you have to explain it, its not funny anymore. It might be clever, and well-thought-out, but if it fails to deliver its message/story in a relatively clear/efficient way, then the whole point is lost.

Again, just my two cents.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Trollhoffer said:
Question:

Is sheet music that has never been played "real music"? Or is it merely "conceptual music"?
xplosive59 said:
Beck released an album in the mid-90's I think that was just sheet music, so yeah it counts. Music is an art form, and sheet music is a way of expressing that art form.
That was actually more recent, like in the last year or two. The mid-90's is just when he was famous, ha! Eh, I take it back, I've got no real hate for Beck. While a seemingly pretentious or elitist way to release an album, it was at least a kinda neat idea; I think he was trying to capitalize on the collaborative power of the internet, and see if fans would be able to reconstruct his songs via youtube (or whatever), and also what kind of interesting permutations his music would take in the process.

I'll add my two cents, that sheet music is real music about as much as the written word is really talking; it only really matters if you can read it. So it is, at the very least, music to the person who wrote it.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Froggy Slayer said:
Can someone explain to me how this happens, where people come out of the woodwork to proclaim that by some divine proclamation dubstep/rap/death metal 'don't count' as music?
Rap isn't music. It is a bunch of children that use childish words like "Nigga" and "******" and objectify women to such a degree that makes me sick.

At least the rap that most children listen to.

In fact, I do like Rap that isn't that childish part of it. There are many songs (like Wiping All out) that are absolutely brilliant because they actually have a point. Some moron saying "Nigga nigga nigga nigga NIGGA. I love those motherfuckin' Niggas" isn't music. That is just some child being annoying.
So, are you saying the lyrical subject is all you care about in music? Because that strikes me as more childish than most hip-hop, frankly.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Remaiki said:

If it's been consciously put together and framed by someone to evoke a certain feeling or represent something, then you can honestly call that art. Thinking it's shit either because of its simplicity or because it doesn't speak to you doesn't make it "not art".

People focus too much on labelling stuff "not art" when it'd be far more appropriate for them to say they think something is bad art.

Froggy Slayer said:
Remaiki said:

This might interest you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnegans_Wake

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
As someone who studies music, technically rap didn't start as music. It started as jamaican dj's reciting poetry to a rhythm on the radio- toasting. They then started doing it on top of pre-existing songs, ska and rocksteady etc. Only after that did they start to write music specially for it.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I don't like rap as a music genre. I feel that as a music genre it's not musical enough. I find however that as a lyrical genre it carries some weight, though not the get-money-fuck-bitches-rap, that is.

The other listed genres I personally dislike I'll never dismiss as not being music. Why would anyone do that? It's like saying Fifty Shades of Gray isn't a real book, just because it's shite. Unfortunately it is, but that's about it. Same with Twilight.

5-second-edit:
Tom_green_day said:
As someone who studies music, technically rap didn't start as music. It started as jamaican dj's reciting poetry to a rhythm on the radio- toasting. They then started doing it on top of pre-existing songs, ska and rocksteady etc. Only after that did they start to write music specially for it.
hehe, knew it.