Interactivity

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
blackshark121 said:
Here's your plot for "Fun Space Game: The Game": Aliens attack, humans retaliate, aliens are actually humans from the future, now-humans turn to be evil, later-humans are good. I get a 7.6% cut on everything "Fun Space Game: The Game" earns.

Simpsons Starflight did it!

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
yersimapestis said:
Ninjamedic said:
Well, Bioshock was one of a kind anyway, like modern warfare.
notreally. the mw was not so much interactive, rather you can move your head
I mean in the way you can't capture the same spark from the first one.

ShinningDesertEagle

Oct 14, 2009
These blogs are getting better. I prefer reading the more informative ones.

The problem with using Lucifer as your megalomaniac villain is he is pretty much the embodiment of evil. Having him operate externally with a 'Take over the world!' plot is stupid. The devil needs a far more subtle approach (using temptation, cunning, manipulation, elusiveness etc.). Idea like good and evil are not some (meta)physical force but a philosophical concept concerning our choices and how we make them.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
2 things:
First, your suggestion for the Bioshock 2 intro sounds mind-blowingly amazing. Seriously. I haven't played Bioshock 2, but I think that few intros could beat that.

Second, this "Wheel" faction sounds a hell of a lot like Fallout's Brotherhood of Steel and their worship of technology, mixed with the ridiculous superiority in power and tech of the Enclave or - speaking of Star Wars - the Empire.
Just a small observation, and I have to admit that a hugely zealous and malicious BoS sounds like a 'fun' enemy.

A pleasant read, good sir.

remm2004

Nov 18, 2009
When I played Bioshock 1 I had just finished my first run trough Half-Life 2 (and Ep1 and 2); the intro was very atmospheric but I felt it lacked the level of immersion I experienced at the start of HL2.
I remember when, after meeting Barney, I was being chased; I felt very anxious thinking ?where do I go?? ?they?re after me!? ?oh no, oh no, I cant defend myself!?
I really thought I was there. That?s true immersion.

BTW, Yahtzee, is there any chance you may review Monster Hunter Tri?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Interactivity

Why BioShock 1's intro sequence was so much better.

Read Full Article
I've not played BS or BS 2 but I'd like to put COD4 forward for best intro ever.

The car ride through the unnamed middle eastern city, seeing the chaos and brutality of a military coup, the air of menace that hangs over you as you are driven through the city by your captors.

Once you get to the destination you start figuring out whats happening, you see the gun and you are executed. Intense for an intro.

It then skips to Hereford and you are the new kid trying to fit in. Love the COD4 intro, No Russian doesn't come close. (Although thats not really an intro)

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
ciortas1 said:
Immediately after I read the word 'immersion' the Mass Effect 2 intro popped right in my head. You get to move around the way you want to, you get 2 or 3 dialog options, giving you a really basic understanding of the controls, and you get a piece of the story to understand what is to come later on in the game. The ressurection part kind of ruined it, but hey, that was pretty epic wasn't it?
ME2 had a pretty good opening, but the whole resurrecting thing ruined it for me too.

What's the point of killing the character off if you're going to revive him later? It's just a plot convenience set up to where Shepard owes it to Cerberus.

So the intro ending up meaning nothing.

Plus later on Shepard got the chance to walk around getting called out as people presumed he was dead, sorta like what they did with Ripley's character in Alien 4 and not to forget Snake in Escape from New York...=/

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Ninjamedic said:
I wouldn't call it "one of a kind". Based off what he said Bioshock's opening was like (never played it myself), it sounds SIMILAR (not entirely the same as) Metroid Prime. You are shown a quick cutscene and go through a whole area to investigate a distress signal while getting your tutorial on. There is even a boss fight before you lose all your gear and are shown another cutscene and follow Meta Ridley down to Tallon IV.

Interesting developments on FSG:TG so far. Good luck with finding a plot you like.

fenixkane

Sep 16, 2008
Regarding FSG:TG 2 questions, 1 suggestion.
Question 1: I remember you talking about being able to wander around your ship and maybe even the opponents ships (at least I think you did) as a game mechanic you would like. Are you planning on implementing anything like that or are you just sticking to space flight?
Question 2: Is this game going to allow stealth to be a big part of the game (I know you mentioned hiding from the Wheel, just wondering if it's a big part)?
Suggestion: Assuming the game has a lighting model could we have big spotlights on the ship and ai ships as well (toggle-able of course, can't ruin the stealth aspect), it just seems like seeing as space is dark and all it would be nice to be able to see (something other space games seem to ignore).
Thanks for your time.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
The Bioshock intro was a fantastic one. I thought it ended once you stepped out of the Bathysphere, and from there is what I would call tutorial. Either way, it was all a well done opening.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
To paraphrase... said:
Interactivity is the one element that sets video game story-telling apart from all other media.
Are you a bad enough dude to write an article that should be required reading for all video game developers? I think so.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I was wondering if you would bring up the God of War 2 style intros, where there's no so much a tutorial as a giant something-or-other to rip open over the course of about 10 minutes, with little things to be ripped to pieces between the fights with the big baddie, firmly rooting you in what the game has to offer. For introductory sequences, Bioshock definitely had a good one, though, while it has less interactivity, I remember the Super Mario Galaxy intro dropping entire buckets of immersion on me the first time I saw it.

Drmonstereater

Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, Bioshock's one opening was fucking awesome. I haven't played enough games to confirm what you say about it but I'll take your word. Also, I was not aware you dropped out of Highschool, though that's hardly relevant to what you were saying.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Ninjamedic said:
What? Modern Warfare is one of a kind? I hope I'm missing something here...

I agree that the opening cinematic was much worse, but it was still pretty good. In fact, BioShock was a better game all around than BioShock 2. It's just a matter of seeing the game before. If I hadn't have had the first game's incredible opening cinematic, would I have thought more of the second games? Grabbing the shotgun did the same exact thing in BioShock 1 and 2, and obviously it was less surprising in the second game. Honestly, if BioShock 1 never existed, I think BioShock 2 would have been much better than it seemed. I think that the should learn from this and try to change things up for BioShock 3.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Maybe it could have brought up a tutorial box saying PRESS RIGHT TRIGGER TO SHOOT, and the game couldn't continue until you'd done it.
See, now, that would have brought the intro up to par with the one in Bio 1. Don't even give the player a tutorial, hold the gun up to his head and wait for the player to push a button, any button. This puts you in direct control of your character's life, and even while hypnotized, still keeps up the appearance of a sliver of free will remaining in you. Will you pull the trigger and kill yourself, just for the sake of being able to play the game? This question rubs Andrew Ryan's motto right in your face. "A man chooses, a slave obeys." And everyone will pull the trigger. Every player obeys the game. Every player is a slave to the tutorial box.

Man, why do you have to ruin every game for us just by thinking of ways in which it could have been so much better?

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
The BioShock 1 intro is nothing short but fantastic but I'm still going with Half-Life 1 intro as the best.

The moody music, the calm speaker voice and the ride through Black Mesa is pure gold.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
"Is a man not entitled to the bish of his bosh"

Hehe that made me giggle a bit too much! Ahhh well pobody's nerfect

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
on the subject of the less-than-stellar intro of the second game;

I wonder why developers almost never know what made their original games so good and go overboard with other aspects if not completely screwing up the second

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I understand your view of the Bioshock intro.

though frankly, I always thought Fallout 3's intro was the best.

After all, it potrays the main character spending 19 years living a normal life in the Vault untill dear ol' dad leaves it, everything goes to hell, and the Lone Wanderer is forced to escape and she/he finds him/herself in the Wasteland and all it's post-apocolyptic glory.

and it gives the player a more realizing impression that they are a character in the game and are being treated as such, which is a better than Oblivion, where you're a jailed dude who just sole suddenly is told by Patrick Stewart about a quest to save the world, I know you're not required to go on this quest, but the the jail-break tutorial quest gives you a slight impression on otherwise, you know?