High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
DirkGently said:
Amnestic said:
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:
In Mass Effect, there was a character named Richard L. Jenkins, who was basically a redshirt and got himself killed by the Geth by charging out of cover like a jackass. His name is a reference to none other than Leroy Jenkins.
Really? I didn't know that moving up when your commander signaled you to was 'charging out of cover like a jackass'. He reminded me more of Private Wallace A. Jenkins, who when faced with a n coming threat wanting to eat his face, did absolutely nothing. Did you get that reference?

He was ordered out of cover? huh, I may need to do a replay of that game soon if I can't remember the specifics...
Shepard gives him a hand signal to move up.
Nevertheless, I remember reading that it was a reference to Leeroy Jenkins, hand-signal or not.

Also, Phoenix Wright's memes are awesome. ;D
Ah. Where'd you read this?
Google gives you a myriad of sources on it, so I'll just link the google page I got with a few choices words.

Edit: Meh, google link's not working. Just search "Richard Jenkins Mass Effect Leeroy Jenkins" and you'll get the same result.

I'm still waiting for a game that lets me use BEAR CALVARY.
Red Alert 3 has parachuting Bears, is that good enough?

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Amnestic said:
DirkGently said:
Amnestic said:
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:
DirkGently said:
Vanguard1219 said:
In Mass Effect, there was a character named Richard L. Jenkins, who was basically a redshirt and got himself killed by the Geth by charging out of cover like a jackass. His name is a reference to none other than Leroy Jenkins.
Really? I didn't know that moving up when your commander signaled you to was 'charging out of cover like a jackass'. He reminded me more of Private Wallace A. Jenkins, who when faced with a n coming threat wanting to eat his face, did absolutely nothing. Did you get that reference?

He was ordered out of cover? huh, I may need to do a replay of that game soon if I can't remember the specifics...
Shepard gives him a hand signal to move up.
Nevertheless, I remember reading that it was a reference to Leeroy Jenkins, hand-signal or not.

Also, Phoenix Wright's memes are awesome. ;D
Ah. Where'd you read this?
Google gives you a myriad of sources on it, so I'll just link the google page I got with a few choices words.

Edit: Meh, google link's not working. Just search "Richard Jenkins Mass Effect Leeroy Jenkins" and you'll get the same result.

I'm still waiting for a game that lets me use BEAR CALVARY.
Red Alert 3 has parachuting Bears, is that good enough?
I'll take your word for it. I'm too busy being disgusted by the COD:W@W demo/beta thing.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Gormourn said:
Hey, most memes aren't that bad. I don't know why people hate them so much, I hear them often enough, and still enjoy the simple hilariousness of >9K and, well, just about everything else.

I think it's good to have parodies on memes or hidden memes in games.
I agree. They're little reminders that the people who make games are actual people. Games don't just sublimate out of the water vapor in the air. Throwing a few memes in is good for a chuckle for the devs and the players. As long as they aren't glaringly obvious or annoying (if that game for example screamed OVER 9000!!!!!!! for 8 minutes, it wouldn't be good), there's nothing wrong with them.

We are the internet. Memes are part of our culture. They may be the fart jokes of our comedy spectrum, but they are still funny to some people.

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
bkd69 said:
If two girls ever send you on a quest to retrieve a cup, for god's sake man, DON'T DO IT!!!!!
First laugh from a single sentence comment in a long time.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I want to play a game where your character rushes into somewhere in the game during a cutscene and screams, "LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOY JENKINS!"

Even though I hate WoW.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, of all games, had you be called a noob more than once. I've also seen "for the win" and "A winner is you!" in dialogue in the games.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Graustein said:
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, of all games, had you be called a noob more than once. I've also seen "for the win" and "A winner is you!" in dialogue in the games.
"Cosmic energy, ftw!'
As said by the Team Galactic secretary in their building.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Graustein said:
"Cosmic energy, ftw!'
As said by the Team Galactic secretary in their building.
Ayup.
Oh, and who can forget the brainwashed Hammer Bros. in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time?

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
TheBluesader said:
Personally, I don't get into the whole meme-ing thing. It's only really funny for like two days after whatever it comes from comes out. Otherwise it gets pitiful. Like those movies by the Scary Movie guys pitiful.
Scary Movie is just bad delivery and namedropping for namedropping's sake. I assert that when done properly (the keyword here being 'properly'), memes CAN be clever and/or amusing.

Also, kind of in the same vein as this thread though not entirely: My Antivir diagnostics window is called Luke Filewalker.

Simski

Aug 17, 2008
Spacelord said:
TheBluesader said:
Personally, I don't get into the whole meme-ing thing. It's only really funny for like two days after whatever it comes from comes out. Otherwise it gets pitiful. Like those movies by the Scary Movie guys pitiful.
Scary Movie is just bad delivery and namedropping for namedropping's sake. I assert that when done properly (the keyword here being 'properly'), memes CAN be clever and/or amusing.

Also, kind of in the same vein as this thread though not entirely: My Antivir diagnostics window is called Luke Filewalker.
Memes are best parodied when they aren't too obvious, so that when you see it, you shit bricks.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Semi-memeish, but in the first Digital Devil Saga for the PS2, a translator named one of the mantras "Wikipedia" as a joke. Atlus never caught it.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
Not really a meme, but in Republic Commando: "No terminal can match my l33t hax0r skillz."

Clov3r

Nov 7, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Counter Strike - someone set up us the bomb.
If you're talking about the actual game itself, then you sir are incorrect. Though counterstrike and the meme came out in the same year, the context in which "bomb has been planted" was used is in no reference to the meme. Just because it has the word "bomb" it it doesn't make it so. ;p

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Spacelord said:
Luke Filewalker. That's golden. I can deal with memes that are that lame and don't care, too. And using obscure memes from 80s cartoons is always funny too, in moderation.

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
I don't remember what they were doing or what device they were operating, but at one point in "Mass Effect" Ashley tells Liara to "RTFM."

I dunno if internet acronyms count as a meme but I thought it was pretty funny.

I've not really run into things I can confirm as actual internet memes in games much, but when they do crop up they are sort of funny. In moderation of course. Some internet memes I never thought were funny, but even the ones I did are usually only funny the first time they pop up somewhere unexpected.

The only problem I can see is that they would sort of date the games they were in, unless they are often updated. Most internet memes have a short lifespan so putting them in a game you don't plan on updating means that somewhere down the line someones gonna buy a used copy or something and say "Man this is old," or not get it at all. Some memes last way too long. The "9000" one has lasted so long even my older brother is using it, albeit sarcastically, but its still really annoying.

The only one I can honestly say hasn't gotten old for me is "All your base," but even that I have to not hear it for a few months in order for it to funny again. That one made it into "Futurama," it was nice to see it pop up there.