Internet Petition Demands Dark Souls Drop GFWL

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Roboto said:
AnarchistAbe said:
*sigh* I'm done. Is it just me, or is every news story nowadays about gamers bitching about *insert topic here*? Is it just me that sees it?
You're done? Don't let the door hitchya!

But really, a lot more about what is being heard is people saying "no more" to crap like this. How many times have we had to digest GFWL or other garbage Microsoft likes to attach to games, like Halo 2 Vista edition? The only reason this will probably fail too is because the almighty contract with Microsoft on GFWL will stranglehold them into having to use it.

The cost-benefit analysis will end up like this: is the cost of buyout to disconnect from GFWL proportionate to the gain of people that will buy it without GFWL in place? A petition is kind of useful in that regard, at is quantifies the amount of people who will not buy it with GFWL, which can be multiplied by the profit each lost sale could have made, subtracting a safe margin that were signatures with no intent to buy. If CancelCost = AmountOfLostSaleRevenue, it ain't going anywhere.
Or, hear me out, they could just stop with the PC ports. Piracy strains the PC market, it's not as profitable as consoles, and it's a smaller consumer base. Why don't they just stop releasing PC titles?

This coming from a PC gamer, who loves the PC. Seriously, we should just try to be thankful for what we get.

gyro2death

The Chosen
Mar 5, 2009
I must say I'm a steam fanboy, but I would support any other distribution channel but GFWL it has caused so much grief with the few games I was unfortunate enough to be given that were cursed with it. I'm all for gamers letting companies know what we want, because in the end everyone is happy.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
AnarchistAbe said:
Roboto said:
AnarchistAbe said:
*sigh* I'm done. Is it just me, or is every news story nowadays about gamers bitching about *insert topic here*? Is it just me that sees it?

But really, a lot more about what is being heard is people saying "no more" to crap like this. How many times have we had to digest GFWL or other garbage Microsoft likes to attach to games, like Halo 2 Vista edition? The only reason this will probably fail too is because the almighty contract with Microsoft on GFWL will stranglehold them into having to use it.

The cost-benefit analysis will end up like this: is the cost of buyout to disconnect from GFWL proportionate to the gain of people that will buy it without GFWL in place? A petition is kind of useful in that regard, at is quantifies the amount of people who will not buy it with GFWL, which can be multiplied by the profit each lost sale could have made, subtracting a safe margin that were signatures with no intent to buy. If CancelCost = AmountOfLostSaleRevenue, it ain't going anywhere.
Or, hear me out, they could just stop with the PC ports. Piracy strains the PC market, it's not as profitable as consoles, and it's a smaller consumer base. Why don't they just stop releasing PC titles?

This coming from a PC gamer, who loves the PC. Seriously, we should just try to be thankful for what we get.
They would have more sales if they weren't always trying to dick us over. Also be thankful for a service known for deleting saves and many times just not working. What? No especially not when there's another convenient service right there that also happens to be the most popular digital distribution service out there.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Steam or no sale.

I think that's a good motto for digital distribution and DRM at the moment.

The various counter systems have stopped me buying more games than they have sold me on (Dawn of War 2, BF3, Anything Ubisoft etc), Steam for all it's mild insidiousness does actually work conveniently for me.

Always got to wonder though, all this money sank into DRM and no one upstairs ever seems to stop to look at why the third option has been so steadily growing.

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
They would have more sales if they weren't always trying to dick us over. Also be thankful for a service known for deleting saves and many times just not working. What? No especially not when there's another convenient service right there that also happens to be the most popular digital distribution service out there.
Dick you over??? THEY GAVE YOU WHAT YOU WANTED! You petitioned for a PC port, and they gave you one!!! How are they dicking you over? GFWL? No game, or GFWL. Take your fucking pick.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
AnarchistAbe said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Dick you over??? THEY GAVE YOU WHAT YOU WANTED! You petitioned for a PC port, and they gave you one!!! How are they dicking you over? GFWL? No game, or GFWL. Take your fucking pick.
Why would I pay for a game that doesn't work?

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
IT ISN'T OUT YET!!! How do you know it doesn't work? I have never once had an issue with GFWL.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
Roboto said:
AnarchistAbe said:

Thing is, the older you get and the more indentured you become in the business, the more you find out EVERYTHING in the entire games and systems industry boils down to the all powerful cost benefits analysis. There wasn't going to be a port, someone initially crunched the numbers and said "no way, waste." Then 93,000 sigs popped into existence, and even taking away 20,000 of those as bandwagon and another 10,000 for piracy buffer of those sigs gives you 63,000 buys. It's not absolute math as it is speculative and I have no way to back up those numbers, but neither do they, and sometimes speculation is the only way we can get results. Anyway, 63,000 x profit margin = TotalProfitFromPort. TotalProfitFromPort > CostOfPort = PortGetsMade. The initial value to the crunchers had totalprofitfromport much lower I assume, which is why it doesn't get made. Same reason Halo 3 never got a PC edition. What this newest petition does is subtract from TotalProfitFromPort. My last post encompasses that variable.

Either way, you may have heard "decide with your wallet" which can be frustrating to hear because you may like the property but there is a part of it you hate and do not want to support. Not buying it to teach them a lesson means not getting the part you want, and the potential to cause a misunderstanding that the part you wanted WAS the bad part that made you not buy it. Oops. That is what stops the sequel from being made. What these guys did is do a Commander Shepard: they took a third option. Tell the company that a lot of us do not like a specific part of the product, but that we love all the rest of it (seems obvious). Now here is the exact number of us who do not like that specific part.

It is all a numbers game. They have samples and numbers of their own, we're just providing them with our own numbers to help them exact things out. It has always been a numbers game and always will be. You know this for yourself though as you do seem smart. We're just so used to seeing all those numbers from one side (devs) and it is interesting that it is all swinging the other way; seeing numbers coming from the gamer side and actually impacting things is unusual and so I would qualify that as news, or even a trend.

Jul 22, 2009
I may pick this up for PC, not decided yet.

I have no problems with GFWL, Steam has given me more hassle than GFWL...

I'm just backwards like that.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
If this game has to use GFWS then it's objectively not worth buying, end of discussion. You could noy pay me to use that horrid piece of garbage code, and to this day my computer has not forgiven me for the atrocity I inflicted on it for installing that service. Even if this game was hadcrafted by Jesus and came with 1000 tons of solid gold it would still not be worth it.

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
Roboto said:
Thing is, the older you get and the more indentured you become in the business, the more you find out EVERYTHING in the entire games and systems industry boils down to the all powerful cost benefits analysis. There wasn't going to be a port, someone initially crunched the numbers and said "no way, waste." Then 93,000 sigs popped into existence, and even taking away 20,000 of those as bandwagon and another 10,000 for piracy buffer of those sigs gives you 63,000 buys. It's not absolute math as it is speculative and I have no way to back up those numbers, but neither do they, and sometimes speculation is the only way we can get results. Anyway, 63,000 x profit margin = TotalProfitFromPort. TotalProfitFromPort > CostOfPort = PortGetsMade. The initial value to the crunchers had totalprofitfromport much lower I assume, which is why it doesn't get made. Same reason Halo 3 never got a PC edition. What this newest petition does is subtract from TotalProfitFromPort. My last post encompasses that variable.

Either way, you may have heard "decide with your wallet" which can be frustrating to hear because you may like the property but there is a part of it you hate and do not want to support. Not buying it to teach them a lesson means not getting the part you want, and the potential to cause a misunderstanding that the part you wanted WAS the bad part that made you not buy it. Oops. That is what stops the sequel from being made. What these guys did is do a Commander Shepard: they took a third option. Tell the company that a lot of us do not like a specific part of the product, but that we love all the rest of it (seems obvious). Now here is the exact number of us who do not like that specific part.

It is all a numbers game. They have samples and numbers of their own, we're just providing them with our own numbers to help them exact things out. It has always been a numbers game and always will be. You know this for yourself though as you do seem smart. We're just so used to seeing all those numbers from one side (devs) and it is interesting that it is all swinging the other way; seeing numbers coming from the gamer side and actually impacting things is unusual and so I would qualify that as news, or even a trend.
I agree with a large majority of this. I'm just saying. It'd be like me not having enough cookies, and you not having one. I go bake you a special cookie that takes up a lot of my time and effort. Then, you decide that I didn't use the right chocolate chips in my cookie, and you throw it in my face. Isn't that a bit of a dick move?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
AnarchistAbe said:
IT ISN'T OUT YET!!! How do you know it doesn't work? I have never once had an issue with GFWL.
I have had issues with it before and so have so many others. The other topic regarding this game and GFWL shows plenty of people who have issues with it. Also let me show you something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5w0vxErA8&feature=g-user-u
The analogy is at the beginning. You are the one telling people to eat crap and deal with it.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
AnarchistAbe said:
Then you are in the minority. GFWL is a horrible piece of cow dung that isn't supported by the very people who created the damn thing. Its match makin system are god awful. Its connectivity issues are worse than anythin I have ever seen.

GFWL is so bad I would truly and totally take Ubisoft DRM over it because at least with how god awful Ubidrm is, I know that the blasted thing will actually work when I want it to work (unless they move authentication servers) whereas with GFWL the only thin I know is that I might be able to play a online if I pray really really hard.

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
80Maxwell08 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
I have had issues with it before and so have so many others. The other topic regarding this game and GFWL shows plenty of people who have issues with it. Also let me show you something.
The analogy is at the beginning. You are the one telling people to eat crap and deal with it.
And you are the one bitching about a product that hasn't been released. You are the one bitching about something NOBODY could possibly have the answer to. It's all speculation until it's been proven.

You can blame me for being anti-consumer all day. But, in the end, I'm just sick of the bipolar and self-righteous nature of the gaming community.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
AnarchistAbe said:
80Maxwell08 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
And you are the one bitching about a product that hasn't been released. You are the one bitching about something NOBODY could possibly have the answer to. It's all speculation until it's been proven.

You can blame me for being anti-consumer all day. But, in the end, I'm just sick of the bipolar and self-righteous nature of the gaming community.
The game may not have been released, but GFWL has been out for a long while and none of its issues have ever been fixed. For the most part they haven't even been addressed except to say that they realize that the platform has issues and that they'd like to fix them. What came of that statement? Fuck if I know because GFWL is still as crappy as its always been.

AnarchistAbe

Sep 10, 2009
shintakie10 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
80Maxwell08 said:
AnarchistAbe said:

The game may not have been released, but GFWL has been out for a long while and none of its issues have ever been fixed. For the most part they haven't even been addressed except to say that they realize that the platform has issues and that they'd like to fix them. What came of that statement? Fuck if I know because GFWL is still as crappy as its always been.
For all we know, they are patching GFWL right now in anticipation for Dark Souls. Prove me wrong.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
AnarchistAbe said:
80Maxwell08 said:
AnarchistAbe said:

The game hasn't been released but GFWL has been around for years and it still doesn't work. I have seen 2 people say they haven't had problems with it. 2 people out of the couple hundred posts I have read so far. You are in the minority and I would prefer them not having a system in place that has completely wrecked people's single-player and multi-player experiences. There is a reason that one of the most popular mods for Fallout 3 is the one that removes GFWL.