Internet Trolls Face Jail in Arizona

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Kheapathic said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
As I said in a previous thread about this issue:

Arizona...

A place where they love people so much...

One Bishop Thomas J. Olmstead fired one sister Margaret McBride from St. Joseph's Hospital and excommunicated her from her church for suggesting abortion to save an 11 week pregnant woman, who was a mother of 4 at the time, suffering from Pulmonary Hypertension. This malady, Sister McBride and others believed would kill the mother and, in turn, kill her child. The Bishop later stated that, "An unborn child is not a disease...the end does not justify the means".

and...

Where the governor of the state worries more about supposed dead people in the desert than the live people thrown out of medical care and left to die because of the neccesity to balance their stupid, fucking budget.

Arizona: Proving there's more batshit in a desert than a cave.
One thing; that hospital is obviously a Catholic hospital and Catholics are deeply against contraception and abortion. Their hospital staff will do everything they can to save a baby before saving the parent, regardless of how early complications may arise. This is more of a mark against the hospital than the state. But at the same time, if people knew about this they could've gone to a hospital where the staff could be more concerned about saving the life of the mother.
I'd like to note that the hospital officials (also Catholic!) in this case defended McBride's decision. This was reported on abcnews.go.com on June 1, 2010 if you're so inclined to research it. Googling "sister margaret mcbride" would also yield significant data on this, as well.

Kheapathic said:
Now Arizona is also a border state, I'm not sure where you live but try living down here and witnessing all the shit that goes on. Do you know that part of a state park is part has signs around it because of all the drug cartels running shit through it and their willingness to shoot anyone they don't recognize? I'm not in support of this bill but try understanding all the bullshit the region has before you make accusations
I live in New York. I could go on about the weirdness and oddities of my state (Mr. Palamino...er, I mean...Paladino would be a fine example) and the whole Muslim spying thing by the NYPD going absolutely ape shit...but we all have our stories, n'est pas?

However, with this recent bill proposal and Gabby Gifford's shooting still somewhat relevant in this issue, I say again...

Arizona: Proving there's more batshit in a desert than a cave.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
So long as they don't arrest someone for saying over the internet something that would be perfectly legal to walk up to a stranger and say in real life...

Who am I kidding, that's exactly what's going to happen. The telephone has special rules because it wastes people money and exclusively facilitates private conversations... the internet has that function, but trolling tends to be the equivalent of shouting offensive things in a crowded marketplace...

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Being offended should not give you any ability to take up legal recourse.
It's called slander, and yes, someone can be arrested for "trolling" on TV, the internet should be no different.

While I think the wording is a bit vague, I fully agree that this would, after some changes, be a positive thing for the internet. Trolls SHOULD be considered criminals, they definitely aren't humans, that's for sure.

Next up: Griefers

Sylveria said:
poiumty said:
Andy Chalk said:
It doesn't sound too terribly unreasonable at first glance
You shitting me? "We arrest people for offending someone over the internet" is not too unreasonable?

Sure glad I'm not living in Arizona.
A Red state that is making a law against offending or harassing people? Why do I get the feeling that this law won't be evenly applied. Bash on gays all day long? No problem. Say that Christianity isn't 100% correct? Off to jail with you.
I question what rock you've been living under. Homosexuals get it SO easy in this country, that all they have to do is say the words "hate speech" and they get what they want.

Christians? They don't get a voice in any matter, and are always being laughed at.

Dartinin

Apr 14, 2009
Guess im going to jail now thanks for imforming me that when ever anyone dosnt like a joke i say i am now a criminal >.> some times i think everyone else in this state is ... oh i better not finsh that i dont have 2.5k to waste.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I think a lot of people are overreacting about this. Of course Arizon isn't going to can someone for saying "fuck you" online. Politicians do it themselves all the time (when the press isn't around of course).
The crime would only really be taken seriously if it's something like: "I will come to your house and beat the fuck out of you and your family." Now imagine that that's something being said to you over the phone. You'd be pretty creeped out.
So in most cases it would probably just be a restraining order and everything would be peachy again. In the worst case scenarios of harrassment and actual intent to terrify, the maximum penalty might be invoked, but the law is just a generalization and it then comes down to the court to determine the seriousness of the offence.
There is however one issue with the crime in question and that is that if someone has your phone number they can obviously find out where you live, making a threat all the more serious, but in some random online chatroom, not so much. That's something that will have to be addressed for this amendment to pass.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
lmao

riiight .....

the retirement center of the mid west is butthurt about trolling on the internet :p

give me a break,

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
loc978 said:
So long as they don't arrest someone for saying over the internet something that would be perfectly legal to walk up to a stranger and say in real life...

Who am I kidding, that's exactly what's going to happen. The telephone has special rules because it wastes people money and exclusively facilitates private conversations... the internet has that function, but trolling tends to be the equivalent of shouting offensive things in a crowded marketplace...
True and those people can potentially be arrested for "disturbing the peace". And I don't see why the internet should be any different. I do, however, agree with the fact that there is a difference between telephonic contact and that via the internet, but for harrassment on one to be illigal and for the other to be totally unbound by the law seems like too big a gap to me.

krection

Offensive Muggle
Jun 12, 2011
Hmmmmmmmmm....well why not? This really doesn't bother me at all. I don't troll, so I guess I'm fine. Go ahead, I was always one of those assholes who think that we need harsher punishment. So is it bad for me to say I like the Turkish method of handling things? You know, catch someone stealing and they lose a hand? That sounds fair to me........I have a feeling a lot of people will hate me now.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
PROTIP: If you think you are being trolled, that's because you are not

PROTIP Numero Zwei: All those actions are harassment. Why do we use a relatively new expression to replace "harassment"? Because we are retarded, trolling != harassment and there would be no point in making up a new term to replace "harassment"

You people need to stop throwing around buzzwords. I am tired with the "entitled", "hater", "you don't like it because it's popular" or even "boohoo you didn't like ME3 because it was sad".

Trolling is a art, defined by a series of well-placed and thought-out arguments regarding a subject, that may or may not be refuted by persons who are of lesser intelligence than the troll himself.

A art, one specifically designed to misdirect, anger, or confuse others by reporting meaningful information in a clear, coherent way." Many trolls will provide: solid, unbiased stances; proper usage of language (except in certain circumstances)); and will follow the rules of rhetoric, being careful to avoid such low moves as ad hominem fallacies, and straw man tactics. Generally, the troll occurs in a controversial, heated topic ((abortion, XBox360 vs. PS3, and trolling itself)) and tries to provide an outsiders' perspective on it, being as coherent as possible.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Ryan Kish said:
Hmmmmmmmmm....well why not? This really doesn't bother me at all. I don't troll, so I guess I'm fine. Go ahead, I was always one of those assholes who think that we need harsher punishment.
The problem is...

Just because you posted that comment, I could accuse of trying to troll this board. Heck, if you replied to me and exposed all of your opinions on how I am wrong, I could easily say you are trolling.

Face it. Anyone who engages in any rational interaction is bound to be called a troll. In real life, people either say "you might have a point, but I still think I am right" or "I just think you have no clue on what you are talking about".

In the internet, people simply "LALALALA I AM COVERING MY EARS BECAUSE IF YOU DISAGREE WITH MY PERFECT LOGIC YOU ARE A TROLL AND YOU SHOULD BE BANNED, MODS PLEASE BAN THE TROLL BECAUSE HE HURT MY FEELINGS WITH HIS WORDS LALALA".

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
viranimus said:
Wow. I guess in Arizona its not really the heat, its the stupidity.

Im starting to wonder if the internet should be its own separated entity that is devoid of any one governments leadership, and then force the internet to govern and police itself in matters like this because there are entirely too many "old men with money" trying to tinker with things that they not only do not understand have no interest in seeing as anything other than a lawless series of tubes.
Americans don't want to let go of it for some reason, because apparently the fact that americans receive the content means the person who provides it should be arrested, even if they live half a world away.

Hell, they can arrest me and ban me from a country I've never been to nor intended to go to.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
DaHero said:
It's called slander, and yes, someone can be arrested for "trolling" on TV, the internet should be no different.
A comedy show usually involves people who are stupid. Now, are you going to stop use contraception because some guy on the TV argued it wasn't needed? If you did, you would be blaming your stupidity on a TV actor who was just playing a character

Glenn Beck and Bill O'Rilley should be arrested for trolling too.

Basically what you mean is that a TV channel can't expose people to extremist views or play April's Fools jokes because our actions should be of their responsibility.

I am completely against the concept that we shouldn't be allowed to think for ourselves.

krection

Offensive Muggle
Jun 12, 2011
ElPatron said:
Ryan Kish said:
Hmmmmmmmmm....well why not? This really doesn't bother me at all. I don't troll, so I guess I'm fine. Go ahead, I was always one of those assholes who think that we need harsher punishment.
The problem is...

Just because you posted that comment, I could accuse of trying to troll this board. Heck, if you replied to me and exposed all of your opinions on how I am wrong, I could easily say you are trolling.

Face it. Anyone who engages in any rational interaction is bound to be called a troll. In real life, people either say "you might have a point, but I still think I am right" or "I just think you have no clue on what you are talking about".

In the internet, people simply "LALALALA I AM COVERING MY EARS BECAUSE IF YOU DISAGREE WITH MY PERFECT LOGIC YOU ARE A TROLL AND YOU SHOULD BE BANNED, MODS PLEASE BAN THE TROLL BECAUSE HE HURT MY FEELINGS WITH HIS WORDS LALALA".
Meh, good point. Although I'm pretty sure that the bill classified trolling as threats,annoying people, ect. But you do make a valid point.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Finally! I can call the cops on the aunt that posts eight hundred pictures of her kids every single goddamn day on my Facebook feed, and the uncle who keeps forwarding me chain emails whinging about how the muslims are destroying our freedoms. Six months in jail sounds about right.