Internet Trolls Face Jail in Arizona

Firstmark_Bannor

Aug 11, 2011
I must be about the only person on this website who supports this. At least in theory anyway. Trolling is something that just doesn't hold any appeal to me. It speaks poorly of your character. Every time I see/hear the phrase "you mad bro" I'd personally like to see the utterer executed. But these are also my opinions and I realize that everyone can't be held to them. So on one hand I'd like to run screaming in joy that such a measure is taken, on the other hand the fact that it is law and it attempts to hold people to a arbitrary moral code that they may not necessarily follow makes me want to vomit.

In my private universe trolling to piss people off would be met with a painful death penalty. But that is my PRIVATE universe and not reality.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
I love how they have made annoying someone on the internet an offence punishable by law.
I'm easily annoyed person, so now i can just go to the homepage of the person i am annoyed by, and then complain aboyut it and they get arrested?

CAPTCHA: practice makes perfect

Aug 1, 2010
Yeah, good luck enforcing that one!

If they got every cop from every city in Arizona, they would NEVER be able to track down and persecute every person this could encompass.

I also can't wait to see how certain websites respond to this...

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Hee hee. I think this bill should be passed. Know why? Well, for starters, every politician in America uses the internet, television, radio, and every other form of electronic media to bash his/her opponents during an election using vicious, intimidating, and frightening tactics. So this means that politicians can be arrested, fined, and even jailed for running for office. Ah, delicious irony.

As well, any religious website that says I'm going to hell because I don't believe in their god is trying to scare me; a clear violation of this bill if ever there was one and grounds for immediate monetary penalty.

Oh please let this bill pass. Please let it pass, so that I and all the other people who are thoroughly sick and tired of these elected nincompoops, who think of the internet as a series of giant tubes and create legislation in a vain and reactionary attempt to appease their vain and reactionary electorate extremists, can drag them into court, slam them with enormous fines, and make them realize at long last that they cannot legislate good manners.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
The common consensus seems to be that harassment and threats if they occur on the Internet and I think that's something that has to go. I doubt this law, or whatever you call it, will have any affect in this matter.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Ryan Kish said:
Meh, good point. Although I'm pretty sure that the bill classified trolling as threats,annoying people, ect. But you do make a valid point.
"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone any electronic or digital device and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."
See how the bill did not use "trolling"? That's because we use the term incorrectly.

The expressions comes from a type of fishing. It's not supposed to replace "harassment". That's why my point is valid.

1 - People misuse the term "trolling" all the time
2 - Half of the internet overuses it to get off the hook

DaHero said:
This on the other hand, this is NOT okay. People like this should never be allowed into society.
>implying people aren't like this in real life

Goddamn it.

If you think I am a bad person because me and my friends call each other "faggots" and insult each others' moms during any kind of competition, perhaps you need to reset your priorities.

Yeah. Let's ban rap. They say "******" a lot, they glorify acts like killing cops. They threaten rival rappers and talk about screwing their moms.

In fact, since we are talking about criminal behavior, let's ban every song about consuming drugs! That's about 60% of the songs made in the 70's.

Let's ban free speech. It's the only way to be sure.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Firstmark_Bannor said:
I must be about the only person on this website who supports this. At least in theory anyway. Trolling is something that just doesn't hold any appeal to me. It speaks poorly of your character. Every time I see/hear the phrase "you mad bro" I'd personally like to see the utterer executed. But these are also my opinions and I realize that everyone can't be held to them. So on one hand I'd like to run screaming in joy that such a measure is taken, on the other hand the fact that it is law and it attempts to hold people to a arbitrary moral code that they may not necessarily follow makes me want to vomit.

In my private universe trolling to piss people off would be met with a painful death penalty. But that is my PRIVATE universe and not reality.
So you get rage when you see a sentence. You might need medication. I'm not kidding.

Trolling is an amazing activity because almost nobody can pull it off. If you can't piss people off, then I figure you must hate Halloween and April's Fools.

>nofunallowed.jpg

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I feel like I'm being trolled by the entire Arizona government because of this bill and I'm hearing about it on the internet so somebody go arrest all of them.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I wonder how this law how and when it would be applied.

Andy Chalk said:
"are deemed to have been committed at either the place where the communications originated or at the place where the communications were received."
For example.
Does it apply if the server is hosted in Arizona?
If the person who is doing the provoking is in Arizona?
If the person who it is being done towards is in Arizona?
If a 3rd party or moderator is in Arizona and makes a complaint?

And if the people are out of state, would other states recognize the law in itself? Leading to a lengthy drawn out case where some might even argue that it is against freedom of speech. And if the offending party is out of the USA, would it even be applied?

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
You know, as much as I'm sick of seeing trolling dominate the internet.

Somehow Arizona doing something like this is an insult to everyone who hates trolls. Not that everyone in Arizona is bad. But the state is notorious for anti-foreigner, anti-gay, anti-black, and anti-woman policies. Basically, the sorts of things that make up the majority of internet trolling.

And come on, let's not pretend trolling is the cute thing we make jokes about like "lol x video game developer is such a troll xD". There are real trolls out there in much of the internet with a much less cute face, because they're real trolls. Not the jokes we make in order to soften the act. The sorts of people who regularly engage in hate speech.

Remember that "British Tram woman" who was so reviled here for "saying nasty racist things and offending me". And how nobody seemed to disagree with her going to jail? That person did little more than what most trolls do.

While I can see why some people would disagree with such a thing. Including the jailing of said racist British woman. I also think it's easy to see why someone would want to give trolls some consequence for their words for once in their life.

It would certainly be nice if say, some of the most popular places on the internet, weren't so dominated by racism and other problematic things.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
People threaten people with violence all the time in war games. How can you tell the difference? If this passes trolls will just accuse trolls to troll them.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
It's not a bad idea but it needs to be reworded. I agree, it's too vague.

All i'm going to say that I (unfortunately) personally know several "adult-children" that wont grow up, that test and push their boundaries to see what they can get away with and how far they can go. These sort of people can only be dealt with by serving out fines or jail-time. There is no other solution. (these people think it's fun to harass others and go out of their way to do so. To my understanding, that's the what the spirit of this law is about, although in its current form, I agree, it would do more harm than good.)

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Free speech is free speech. If an officer came to my door and gave me a ticket or whatever for trolling I'd wipe my arse with it.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Simple solution: Wait for them to post the law on the internet, file lawsuits against the lawmakers for being annoyed by this law.

They, after all, used an electronic device to write and post this law. And it doesn't even matter if you aren't from AZ.