Introduction

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
I've been having a lot of fun with a UR Delver Control Deck myself, it's incredibly fun to play, but it's the kind of deck you need Snapcasters to run.

I've also got a Blue/Black Heartless Summoning Deck together, which can be really good times, as well as a Legacy Caw-Blade Deck I made entirely because I had the Jaces and Stoneforges just sitting around from last rotation, and decided to build a deck for them in one of the only formats they're still legal in, rather than get rid of them.

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
loc978 said:
Sure takes me back... I started in Revised, just before The Dark... and I sold out of the game right around the time fifth edition rolled around...
Same story here. My friend introduced me to it when I was 13, and even bought me my first starter and booster pack. Sometime after 5th edition, when foils and color coding the rarity of cards began I quit.

Recently though my friends and I rekindled our interest, mostly to up our nerdery to a sociable thing we can do together. So interesting article, I definitely don't know all the out-of-game terms, so those will be interesting to read about in the next article.
Also Innistrad has such a cool lore/story/world.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
I should really get myself some innistrad, right now the best I have is GW infect...

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I mostly just play with some friends at school and my brother at home; however, I have been thinking of going to a couple local tournaments and games.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
My older brother taught me magic -years- ago, like around 2002 or so, and took me to tournaments at a nearby place every week (I think Saturdays). I just got back into it since coming to college, and now I'm in the process of trying to make a werewolf deck with Innistrad, making good progress. I still have and use some of my old cards from way back when though, play with other people on my floor and in the club I'm in.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Nice article, looking forward to reading more.
I got out of Magic around Mirage and only recently got sucked back in by friends with Innistrad.
Which meant I fell right back into the "buy to many damned cards" habit. Also, the "I can't stop making decks" habit, similar to being an alt-aholic with MMOs.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Ahhhh magic... i started long ago right after 7th edition came out... I played pretty religiously up until the onslaught block, when i finally quit. I played with my old cards with some friends i met in college that i discovered used to play. But i haven't purchased, or really even seen much of anything in years and years. I'm fascinated to hear about where the game has gone since then, and what crazy new things they added/brought back.

I'm a white player. I've dabbled in white/green, and even white/black once or twice. But pure white is where my heart lies!

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
I play Wolf Run Ramp with 4 inferno titans, 4 primeval titans, and inkmoth nexuses and kessig wolf runs to just destroy people with either damage or poison along with removal and board sweepers.

Other deck I'm working on is U/R delver using delver of secerts to flip early and hit for 3 in the air on turn 2-3 onwards along with stromkirk noble to get big and chandra's phoenix. It is pretty much counter burn with brimstone volley, incincerates and shocks to burn which can get back phoenix and mana leaks to control the board.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
I played quite a bit of MtG from around Tempest to Odyssey blocks. Loved the hell out of that game, was quite literally obsessed by it. My favorite builds were U/G control decks, although most worked better in theory than in practice. The last deck I had was a Squirrel/Opposition build that I loved to death.

Several things stacked together led to me quitting though:
1. Ugh, the redesign. Never got over it. Ugly, ugly, ugly, no elegance.
2. The end of the Urza and Co. storyline, which left me kind of alienated. True, most people don't play for the story, but the lore just felt less interesting afterwards.
3. The realization that MtG had a problem with adding new mechanics just to get people to buy new cards and to mix up the tournament builds a bit. I seriously wouldn't have had a problem with playing Type 1 forever. The vocabulary proliferation was a rather unsubtle symptom of this.
4. It was expensive. Nothing against the game, but WotC is a business and has to make money.
5. Discovery of computer games sucked my attention towards a different medium.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
I recently started playing.. as in 2 months ago.
I've now got 2 decks on the go, a Red Black vampire deck which loses more than I care to admit (There are a couple of cards I need to turn that around though), and a Red Burn them all!!! deck.

Started really enjoying Friday Night Magic, gets a good group of people together and we have a blast.

I personally don't like mill decks. Losing a game with 20 health remaining is never fun.. still, it's possible to throw spanners in the works of those who mill.

The sheer amount of possibilities, there is no perfect unbeatable deck makes it so much fun. There's always something new to see... and in my case, be killed by.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
I love Magic, its retardedly fun. I would consider myself VERY new to the game since I didn't start until Rise of the Eldrazi release. My mono black Vamp deck was pretty epic before Zendikar rotated out, but being mono black, you can't do anything about artifacts or enchantments, leaving a huge hole in your strategy what with the artifact heavy metagame with Scars of Mirrodin block being in as well.

Sadly, I stopped putting money into Magic after I moved away from my playgroup, which was at about M12 release, so I haven't even looked at any of the Innistrad cards or been to an FNM since.

Kind of a shame considering thats where ALL my money went the previous year.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
So, when do we get a Greenihilator / LolDestro / "why it's fun to make people hate your decks" article?

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
Started way back when Portal was released, my first prebuilt deck was back in Urza's saga and it was Tombstone, which got me into the whole reanimator theme.

But it wasn't then that I started to really get into magic, it was later when Scourge, Onslaught, Mercadian Masks, and all of those sets were available that I really went all in with magic, and me and my friends spent our entire pocket money searching for Akroma (which I still own), and Phage (a card that my best friend got at the time and has now passed on to me), either way this is where I found my love for an Elven deck, comboi'ng Wellwishers, with Priestess of Titania and Seeker of Skybreak, and using Elvish Soultiller, this is also where I started to fall in love with monocoulor deck. I delved deeper into magic until Kamigawa, where I lost interest for the lack of friends who still played.

But more recently, i came back to magic and dragged a friend or two from College, with Scars of Mirrodin and Mirrodin Besieged, and we've been playing casually for a long time.

Right now I have three decks which I play:

Blue/Artifact composed majorly of affinity for artifacts cards, some of the swords, and Wurmcoil Engine.

Mono Black vampire- Majorly reconstructed from my old (and highly obsolete and/or illegal in most formats W/B reanimator).

Mono Green- My 10 year old Elvish deck, everchanging, and still one I keep with fondness and struggle to keep in format.

However I have to add, that I dislike serious competition due to the fact that most people just buy cards individually or build and pay, while I've always been someone who believes in the booster pack and find it the same gamble and bane of all TCG, and part of it's charm meaning if i take someone who plays in semi/serious circles, I'll usually struggle unless I can set off a weird combo.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I started at the end of Kamigawa/beginning of Ravnica, then quit a few times and got back in last year because the college I go to has a Magic club that does DCI booster drafts every 1st and 3rd thursday night of a month. Its awesome.

Decks are:
-UR Dragonstorm combo (vintage)
-RG Warpworld Landfall combo (modern)
-UW Gwafa Control (modern)
-RG Werewolves (standard)
-Mono Red RDW (standard)
-BW Ghost Council EDH (commander)

Favorite colors are white and red (yet I don't have a RW deck... weird. *begins to make a RW deck*)

Least favorite color: Black. Not that I think it sucks, on the contrary I think black is really good, but I just suck at playing it. Not my style.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I play White equipment.
I've been playing since High-School when my friend bought me the original Mirrodin white equipment deck. Lorwyn was just coming out at this point, and I was the only kid without a planeswalker.
After high-school I gave away all my cards, and started fresh restarted my deck-building process.
I've managed to make a pretty Equipment deck, but as of Innistrad, half of it isn't standard legal.
Damn Innistrad.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Roganzar said:
Nice article, looking forward to reading more.
I got out of Magic around Mirage and only recently got sucked back in by friends with Innistrad.
Which meant I fell right back into the "buy to many damned cards" habit. Also, the "I can't stop making decks" habit, similar to being an alt-aholic with MMOs.
I feel your pain. I had told myself when I got back to playing in Scars of Mirrodin that I'd only buy what I needed for certain decks off the internet and here I am with two fat pack boxes of Innistrad and tons of useless rares from boosters (and not a single Garruk Relentless goddammit)

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Oh, I see what you're trying to do. You're trying to get me back into the game after the umptenth time I've gotten out of it. Well it won't work (it probably will)!

Nonetheless, I look forward to future articles. I've always been more of a casual player, so I've haven't seen much of the more technical side of the game.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
I got into Magic late and shortly in High School. Made a SURPRISINGLY effective five color Sliver deck built around Crystaline Sliver, Sylvan Library/Abundance combo and Aluren. I later built a gravyard manipulation deck using Tortured Existence and Hell's Caretaker/Recurring Nightmare... Then nothing. For years.

Now, with Duel of the Planeswalkers, I've gotten back in it. Cheap, accessible and relatively balanced. Fun game, awesome fun.