Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
balladbird said:
I admit, I'm torn on the issue. On one hand, bullying is bullying, and responding to verbal irritation with physical violence is never the answer. autism is very real, and it does carry with it social awkwardness, which can easily be misconstrued as legitimate mean spiritedness...

but at the same time, it's become quite popular, even to the point of being a fad, for people to use autism, asperger's in particular, as some kind of handy "get out of personal responsibility for being an asshole free" card. People aren't obligated to smile while being subjected to verbal abuse or rude behavior, whether such tactlessness is born from legitimate disability or being a dick. I would never advocate physical violence, and I believe tolerance is important, but if I'm being honest with myself, if I knew a guy who suffered from aspergers, and even if I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that his rudeness was born from this disorder, I can't guarantee I'm a strong enough person to hang around with him as he insulted me. I would distance myself from him, if not ignore him outright, so I'm not sure how tolerant I am of the issue.
What people seem to misunderstand about aspies is that neither getting angry at us or just "tolerating" us is going to help things. I, even at the age I am now, will often times stop and ask people if I've been rude to them in some way just to make sure, when we say we can be rude without meaning it, it is not asking someone to just accept it and not say anything, it's asking them to tell us when we're doing it so we can stop. It's not asking people to just deal with it, it's asking them to help so we can do better.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Huh... are you remembering the time long ago that I told people I have TS? Hmm. If so, your memory is terrifying, and if not, then you accidentally took a heck of a blind shot.
TBH, Tourrete Syndrome and the term coprolalia were both in my mind specifically because of of the characters in the Robert Kroese Mercury series suffers it and I'd just finished it (well, finished it again) last night. When I went looking for another issue that might have a similar effect, that was the first thing that popped into my brain.

And then I had this strange urge to make a snowman, but that's neither here nor there.

The point being, I didn't remember you or anyone else saying they had TS on here, so it was just a random coincidence. Or, as Mercury would call it, synchronicity. Sting might call it that, too, but I didn't just finish listening to The Police.

But the thing is, Tourette's sufferers aren't analogous with Asperger's sufferers, because there's lots of utilizable coping techniques we have available to us. "Tic Transfer", for instance, is a method of literally replacing our worse tics (say, howled swears [the stat, by the way, is less than 1% of sufferers have this tic, or one in a hundred thousand people]) with something hidden (foot twitching) or at least inoffensive (I'm currently suffering a round of head tossing, for instance), reinforced with repetition and constant awareness. Concentration, for another, tends to override tics, as your brain is busy. That kind of thing.
I'm actually aware of this, as I've been coached through a process similar or identical to it to deal with 'tics' generated by obsessive compulsive disorder.

But that doesn't make it a bad analogue. It means it's not 100% parity, but behavioural modification in the case of TS has varied results and isn't always very effective on younger individuals. Besides, that doesn't change the nature of the condition as off-putting, potentially alarming or even 'offensive.'

And yes, I know most TS sufferers don't shout things. that's why I said the ones who didn't were most of them. Sorry if I wasn't specific enough.

Autistics are often coached in similar methods to my understanding, and other forms of coping. Did the kid deserve it because he wasn't coping, then, I wonder. If the difference you're drawing is that those afflicted with TS can cope, that seems to say that it would be okay to punch someone for disturbing you if they don't cope, despite what you said both before and after this point. Otherwise, I don't see the point of even bringing it up. Except to point out that TS and ASD are not identical, which was never contested.

Because I know and have experienced these things, I do hold fellow Tourette's sufferers up to a higher standard. An asshole who declares "It's because I have Tourette's" is just an asshole with Tourette's, unless they're currently "transitioning" their more offensive tics.

Suppression is possible, just hard.
Suppression of compulsive behaviour is also possible. However, I've been various forms of management (therapy, behavioural treatment, medication) for over 20 years now and I'm still coping with issues. In particular, I've broken most of my compulsions, but I still have a very obvious oral tic that I can't seem to get a grip on. And so far, no professional's made headroom.

Again, in case this is your issue, I will state that OCD is not the same thing. The point is, just because something's possible doesn't mean someone's a dick for not succeeding. I mean, I'm a dick, but said tic is probably the least dickish thing I could do. When I'm a dick, you'll know it. I will verbally dress down people, call names, etc. And that's not OCD. Yeah, if I said I'm an asshole because of OCD I'd be an even bigger asshole. But that's not the point.

What is the point, however, is that on top of behavioural tics and similar, ASD sufferers do tend to have an impaired sense of social context. This further complicates things. not only does one need treatment to manage social behaviour, not only does that treatment not always prove effective, but ASD sufferers may not really understand the need. As I said before, Aspergers isn't one exact level, and different people suffer different levels, so it varies from person to person.

But again, an autistic who does something wrong might simply not get the context.

On that note, if I have underestimated the social obliviousness of Asperger's sufferers (as I appear to have done), then my apologies and I'm less on the side of the parents. It still seems strange to me that so many parents don't understand the mental state of someone they seem to interact with fairly often.
They picked on the developmentally challenged folks in my school a lot. People who saw them would call them retards, spazzes, freaks, mutants, etc. People who had daily interaction did not get it at all.

I'll go one further. I live right near a school for the Deaf. We have a town full of Deaf and Hard of Hearing people around here. You'd be surprised how unable people are to cope with the Deaf in a town swarming with them. We have relatively few people in this town who are developmentally disabled when compared to the Deaf community. People don't like people who aren't "normal." I'd think you'd experience this first hand, but maybe you're lucky. It seems to be exceedingly common.

But speaking of luck, maybe you shouldn't hold people to a higher standard automatically. You don't know how much better/worse they have it. Just because you did it doesn't mean everyone else can. I taught myself algebra while other people in my school were struggling with division of complex numbers. I'm an autodidact, and maybe not the best, but I learn fast and well. Doesn't mean I should assume everyone else can. There are high functioning people with TS and there are low-functioning. There's high-functioning autstics and low-functioning. I severely suspect my father suffers from Aspergers or similar, but he's managed to make it for himself despite having serious failings in the area of social skills. Dude's a fucking genius when it comes to other things, and it provides him a Gregory-House-style tolerance factor to a lot of people, I think. Buuut he's never going to be 'normal.' Other people in the same boat can't manage even a normal job.

What I'm saying is 'one size does nto fit all.'

We can't really know, can we.
Unfortunately not.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
A pointer. DSM-5 doesn't recognize Asperger's anymore as a separate condition. The latest DIagnosis and Statistics edition changed it in a way that the condition was moved to be included into the Autism Spectrum Disorders. Conisdering that the experts are starting to leave teh term behind, maybe we should too. Asperger's is just a banner for several kinds of high functioning autism. And it is good. It feels like it was becoming an overused term. Also, I doubt most diagnosis of both high functioning autism and AS, considering that the estimates on the epidemology vary greatly in time and from what I read there is a vairance even today, so I'm not sure there is a very strong case for good diagnosis.

Also, the article is indeed lacking of information. While the use of violence against namecalling is reprobable, the context might explain the conditions leading and the reaction of people. Also, I stand by my words that the diagnosis may not be too accurate.

For some poeple, anecdotal evidence is not very strong evidence. Knowing or having AS, or now ASD, does not make you an expert on the matter nor let's you talk for the whole community with the condition and their posible experiences.

LeeArac

Aug 16, 2011
Sansha said:
You don't understand Asperger's. I'm not saying that to be rude, I'm saying you really don't seem to know much about it. The brother of my sister's husband has Asperger's, and a relatively more severe case than most for lack of a better term. He can function just fine living on his own, but he says insulting things to people with some frequency because he just doesn't get that it's insulting. He literally does not get that telling someone they look fat or things of that nature are wrong. As far as he's concerned he's just telling the truth and doesn't get why it might hurt someone's feelings.
Well then, legit question: If they're so blind as to the nature of giving offense via 'factual' statements, would they perceive being called an 'ignorant, self-involved Aspie' as bullying? After all: It's just telling the truth.

Smacking anyone as a result of them being a verbal ass is - obviously - not OK, but by that logic it must be pretty hard to 'bully' someone who doesn't get the /idea/ of being insulting or insulted.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
If the kid's being an asshole first then it kinda seems like he's getting away with it because he's autistic, which doesn't excuse bullying. If he wasn't autistic would this even be a story I wonder? The other kids shouldn't respond like they are but it's what kids'll do if they're annoyed I suppose.

LeeArac

Aug 16, 2011
Master of the Skies said:
By what logic? That intent makes a difference in how you should react to someone? Because I think it's pretty... well kind of willfully ignorant to want to treat someone who intentionally says something to offend others the same as someone who says offensive things that they don't realize are offensive. It's pretty obvious that they should be treated differently if you actually intend to correct them to get a different behavior in the end.
No logic. No intent to be inferred. Just a question. How can they be bullied non-physically if they don't understand the concept of an insult? If they /do/ respond negatively to a 'truthful' insult, then they clearly /do/ comprehend, and it's a failure of empathy, not understanding.

FoOd77

Jul 2, 2009
You know, I think I am completely alone in this, but I really do not think bullying is such a terrible thing, in fact I think it prepares you pretty well for the rest of you life, where everybody is going to fuck you over and kick you when you're down because everybody is just out for numero uno.

Now, this particular case... I am not so sure, it seems pretty odd for a huge chunk of the town to turn out and say "Yeah the kid deserved it" no? Maybe... The kid really was just a raging shithead who had it coming? Or maybe he was just an awkward kid who got picked on for being different? I don't fuckin' know, and really, neither do any of you. So it might be prudent to withhold judgement until we get the whole story, if we get the whole story.

All's I can say is, if the kid really was just a douchebag who deserved it, well then... Lesson learned? Maybe he'll be less of a douchebag from here on out? And if it was just a case of a bunch of dumb little shits deciding it'd be fun to pick on the different kid then... Fuck, suspend them? What more of a punishment do you want? Keep in mind these are what, 13 year old kids? Odds are they'll grow up, and realize what little shitheads they were.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I was often called a bully in primary school for hitting people who called me names. And they did, often. I went to anger management, not that it did anything, considering I didn't have anger problems. I would have minded my own business otherwise, but you just don't go around pissing people off deliberately. So my opinion on this is I can't judge because I don't know the circumstances, but there is a very real possibility this kid is an asshole and deserves that three quarters. I'd be interested to know how much of the vitriol directed towards him only manifests when he pisses people off deliberately and how much of it is there all the time.

FoOd77 said:
You know, I think I am completely alone in this, but I really do not think bullying is such a terrible thing, in fact I think it prepares you pretty well for the rest of you life, where everybody is going to fuck you over and kick you when you're down because everybody is just out for numero uno.
You are either completely alone in this, or you are not aware of the extent of abuse you are encompassing. I disagree with you, but I can understand your statement - but only in reference to the lighter cases.

Vylox

May 3, 2013
With such a dearth of information and facts regarding this case, it is painfully obvious that the whole scenario is the fault of the school and the principal. There are laws on the books regarding bullying and there are laws on the books about violence inside of schools. Ignoring those laws and letting children handle the problem is not the way to go about it.

I can not speak for anything about what happened, as there is not enough information or context available for me to form any other judgment of opinions.

To those with TS, Aspergers, or other forms of Autism, I feel your pain. While I do not identify myself or classify my particular speech patterns as such, I have been told by many people that my speech impediment resembles a form of TS (I suffer from malapropism in my speech... Meaning that I constantly swap words, syllables and letters around when I am talking), and my social abilities are far from what folks would consider normal or average... (I am fuxing rude, blunt, excessively and exceedingly literal along with pointing out truths either obvious or not on a very VERY regular basis). It has taken me a long time to get to the point where I am able to interact in social settings with groups of people, and I still have problems with doing so. So I believe that I can understand where you all are coming from, and how some of your childhood experiences went. (Damn I'm feeling old now..... having these kinds of issues when your in your late 30s is no picnic, even if I have had them my entire life.)

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Besides, the article notes that he called someone "a nasty name". Maybe I just don't understand Asperger's, but I'm assuming that you're aware enough of bad language, difficult situations and the like to avoid calling someone something vile enough that they immediately punch you in the face.
I would say from personal experience that challenging any bullying behaviour by resorting to using exactly the same form of verbal abuse that you yourself have been subjected by the bully will get you punched in the face immediately, provided the bully believes that they're in a position to get away with it. And that the confrontation you actually get to see and witness is only ever the tip of the iceberg of the unfolding power struggle between two individuals.

Young Cole might be smacking autistic children around his own age right now, but wait till he's an older, wiser adult and begins provoking loud, heated confrontations in the workplace in the outside hope that their target will snap, lash out and provide the perfect excuse for a little pro-active self-defense.

Behavior like this should not be excused. It should be examined now. It should not only be dealt with now. And if it is at all possible it should be fixed now as well. We don't need children learning that it's alright to punch people in the face so long as you can find an acceptable excuse to do so.

That's fucked up.

Teriver

Nov 22, 2013
008Zulu said:
I have gone to school with people who have used their disability as a reason to be total jerkhats, and they did get away with it. I have no sympathy for those with these kinds of conditions in circumstances like this.

It is not impossible to teach disabled people how to behave properly, the fault lies with the parents.
I would like to point out that having Asperger's does not make you disabled. Many people with a form of Autism can do stuff that makes my mind boggle. While you may be able to help some Aspies, sometimes you just cannot teach them to "behave properly". I'm an Aspie and I have had both professional and self training to try and 'behave properly" and I quite often still do things that seem fine to me but that others get offended by despite my constant trying to be as polite as possible.

However I do agree with you on your first point, people who use their issues as an excuse to act like jerkhats and get away with it are actually just jerkhats. If I unintentionally do something rude and then realise it afterwards I always apologise as should everybody else, autistic or not.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Teriver said:
I would like to point out that having Asperger's does not make you disabled. Many people with a form of Autism can do stuff that makes my mind boggle. While you may be able to help some Aspies, sometimes you just cannot teach them to "behave properly". I'm an Aspie and I have had both professional and self training to try and 'behave properly" and I quite often still do things that seem fine to me but that others get offended by despite my constant trying to be as polite as possible.

However I do agree with you on your first point, people who use their issues as an excuse to act like jerkhats and get away with it are actually just jerkhats. If I unintentionally do something rude and then realise it afterwards I always apologise as should everybody else, autistic or not.
I went to school in the late 80's early 90's. Then it was refereed to as being disabled. But I meant it in a more general sense. We had a wheel-bound chair kid who thought that because she was in a chair everyone had to treat her as a Princess and watch out if you didn't.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Speaking as someone with Asperger's (diagnosed by a professional, thankyouverymuch!), I find this hard to swallow, especially since we don't know all the details. I admit that I've said/done things without thinking (much to my own detriment), so maybe this was the case? And when is bullying ever justified?