Irish Community Leader Blames Arizona Massacre on Games

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
If he can blame video games with that logic could you not with the same logic blame Americans? (No offense) or perhaps you could blame gravity for people that have tripped and hurt themselves. If a person is unstable they are unstable maybe he was bullied perhaps? Maybe he had problems at home? To hell with doing accurate research why not just jump on an already misguiding overcrowded bandwagon. Every time someone out there blames video-games I just remind myself what they're really saying is they're too ignorant to know exactly happen. Maybe it was aliens from a distant planet using mind control rays. After all it's equally logical.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
So what? It's just another dickhead who doesn't know what he's talking about. Nothing new there, just another voice to ignore.
It's kinda weird, I was actually in Tuscon Arizona over Christmas and went to the same Safeway store that the shootings occurred at...bizarre. Out of all the places to be as well.

Feb 13, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
But that's just my opinion.
Look at it this way then. We've got hundreds of thousands of people trapped in jobs that are non-conducive to their well-being, require no discernible talent but are constantly monitored, and are fed images of beautiful, intelligent people being beautiful and intelligent in beautiful and intelligent places.

All you have to do to be one of them is impress the rest of us.

Sit in a bath of custard? Sure
Eat insects in the jungle? Sure
Get locked in a house for sixty days? Sure

but what else can I do to be noticed???? I have a voice, what I say needs to be heard...

Yesssssssssss...Show me where to make myself heard...

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Master10K said:
Hmmm... Didn't know that games like Starcraft, Diablo & Earth Empire spawned mass murderers. I guess that means that I'll soon go off on a shooting spree shouting out "My Life for Auir!"
God that made me laugh. Thank you, I needed it because I'm ill at the moment. Cookie and milk for you <3

OT: There have been murders long before mass media outlets were even invented. Even mainstream TV has violence (as do cartoons).

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
A shithead politician drumming up controversy that isn't even there for the sake of public presence? They're a dime a dozen these days.

Ignore him. He doesn't have shit for evidence; only supposition and wild speculation.

Off Topic: Fuck you Toyota Captcha. I hate your pretentious ads, and I hate typing them even more.

Max Goldfine

Nov 21, 2010
This is seriously just getting offensive.

I am from arizona and what happened there was a huge tragedy. I'm sick of people trying to turn it in to some way to help there political cause. seriously people, i mean what the fuck, 6 people dead, 14 injured and all i'm hearing about it is different motivation theories usually revolving around some political party or another, and now this. I am disgusted.

My best wishes to any of the families that were affected.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
If he can blame video games with that logic could you not with the same logic blame Americans? (No offense) or perhaps you could blame gravity for people that have tripped and hurt themselves. If a person is unstable they are unstable maybe he was bullied perhaps? Maybe he had problems at home? To hell with doing accurate research why not just jump on an already misguiding overcrowded bandwagon. Every time someone out there blames video-games I just remind myself what they're really saying is they're too ignorant to know exactly happen. Maybe it was aliens from a distant planet using mind control rays. After all it's equally logical.
IT WAS ALIENS! Yeah, you could play the blame game, but really, he was mentally ill. There's not much more to it.

Also, nice avatar.

Oct 14, 2010
It doesn't matter how or why tragedy happens? People with chips on their shoulders over certain things -- whether it's videogames, a political party, gangsta rap, etc. -- will point blame in a knee-jerk reaction. They practically have drafts of their columns and speeches tucked in their desk drawers, waiting for the opportunity to use them.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
You know, living in a post-comunist dictatorship has one advantage, no one blames games for anything. They barely register on the radar. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to brutally murdering all those stone blocks in Minecraft.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Ugh.

Though, he may have a point, IN THIS CASE.

While violent videogames don't seem to have an effect anymore then books or movies do to most people, I DO recall that they can on people with already less than stable mental states, where their precption of reality is already distorted.

I recall hearing that the guy had schizophrenia or something.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Great to see a political journalist giving absolutely accurate psychic evaluations of a lunatic.

What's that? He doesn't know shit? Oh... Guess we should leave the evaluations and probable causes to the professionals, hey?

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
This man is fat. he eats mcdonalds
ITS MCDONALDS' FAULT

absurd, i'm sure you'll agree

This man kills people, he plays games
ITS GAMES' FAULT

you see?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
The guy is charismatic. That's all that's happening here. He's just "Rush O'Limbaugh," on the other side of the aisle, on the other side of the pond. Really, to say it "likely caused the crazed killer to go off," implies (quite rightfully) that he was a crazed killer before this particular event. Who knows? Maybe it was a video game that gave him the idea. But that doesn't mean anything.

It could be that a single pebble causes a larger rock to dislodge, which causes a loose shelf of snow to break free, which in turn causes a larger shelf of loose snow to break free, which becomes an avalanche that kills six skiers. But the headline won't read "Tiny Pebble Kills Six in Tahoe." No one will be calling for the strict regulation of pebble distribution. The pebble only shook loose a threat that was already there.

His qualifications aren't all that impressive. An honorary doctorate is just a way of a university stamping a "Hey, we like this guy!" on someone who's already well-known for something. (Kind of like "knighting" someone at this point.) And an adjunct professor of Journalism? The guy makes a living teaching the techniques of sensationalism. They let him teach a couple undergrad classes, that's all it means. (Hell, I've been "adjunct faculty" at a large university. It's resume food and good experience, not a sign of status.)

Yomandude

Dec 9, 2010
[http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/uu348/das_Apo/bla/?action=view&current=Double_FacePalm.jpg]

dastardly said:
Andy Chalk said:
...It could be that a single pebble causes a larger rock to dislodge, which causes a loose shelf of snow to break free, which in turn causes a larger shelf of loose snow to break free, which becomes an avalanche that kills six skiers. But the headline won't read "Tiny Pebble Kills Six in Tahoe." No one will be calling for the strict regulation of pebble distribution. The pebble only shook loose a threat that was already there...
Couldn't have said it better myself.

EDIT: Videogames also give you cancer.

Jul 9, 2008
Numachuka said:
Did you know he also ate food? I guess then food makes you kill people.
Like everything else, there's a trope [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HitlerAteSugar] for that.