Irish Community Leader Blames Arizona Massacre on Games

Augustia Azzameen

Oct 22, 2010
Unbelievable! For someone with an education like this guy has, it?s pretty dumb to think that videogames are even relevant to the killing, especially after it has been quickly determined that it was due to the FACT that he was mentally unstable and had expressed direct hatred for..........ah screw it. This should have been expected he's another stupid journalist crusades for fame.

But with a few points I would like to make on this article.

Quote:"One thing for sure, we will find that the killer was desensitized to violence by movies and video games that proclaim it is cool and worth watching,"

Response: I feel the same way but it?s a not real and I have yet to commit a crime in my life and don't plan to.

Quote:"Those major corporations who manufacture the video games and pretend, like the NRA they have nothing to do with the spread of violence in this country. They too need to look in the mirror if they dare to,"

Response: Funny you should say that since your job seems to be in deceiving people into something that isn't real or fact.

This is how a KNOW video games don't cause violence, because if they did and knowing how many people in the world play video games, this planet would be in complete anarchy right about now.

Well I could go all day about this but I?m wasting time since in a couple days people will forget this guy and what said anyways.

-PEACE

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I was expecting this earlier to be honest. Games are an easy thing to blame anything on

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Where Loughner himself "believed in numerous conspiracy theories and espoused views such as: the United States Government was responsible for the September 11 attacks; a New World Order would bring about a one world currency; there would be a 2012 apocalypse; NASA had faked spaceflights; and the government was using mind control to brainwash people by controlling grammar."
Sounds like he played far too much Deus Ex.

Really though, it's sad to see this sort of thing happening, less because of what's getting blamed, and more because it's yet another case of tragedies like this being exploited. Like they are all the time, I suppose.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I expected this as soon as I found out about the killers forum habits earlier. I'm not surprised in the least. We should be banning all these murder simulators, what else can we eradicate? We also found he was fond of drinking water to keep himself alive. Maybe if we ban the water we can stop this from happening?

My god I'm a genius.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
Frankly I blame the Arizona Massacre on a guy with a gun, I don't really think he killed anyone by bludgeoning anyone to death with a collectors edition of halo. But in all honesty, did the kid play dodgeball in school? take someone out or you get taken out...I don't know sounds like the ingredients to a mass murder. OMG did he eat beef? The message portrayed by the cattle industry is basically that it is ok to kill and eat things (we are only so lucky he didnt get a chance to eat them). I bet you it was learning about what happened to JFK in history class that did it, we should really rethink teaching kids that. (in case you can't tell everything up to this point was sarcasm) Ultimately, you can blame any arbitrary thing for what happened, or we can see it for what it is, one guy who probably is not all there in the head made a conscious decision to commit the crimes he did.

My sympathies to all the families who were effected by this.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
Hmm... this guy was clearly mentally disturbed, lived in what could very well be the single most racist U.S state and targeted a woman who was a moderate on immigration reform, and the state laws are only a few steps short of walking right into a gun store and walking out with a fully loaded AK-47...

IT WAS THE VIDEO GAMES!!!

Not the stupid gun policies, blatant racism of local politicians, mental instability, or the fact that he went completely ignored instead of receiving the help he desperately needed, it was games!

I must ask, is this particular Irish community leader completely fucking retarded? I have yet to see someone with a "Blame Video Game" mentality who didn't blatantly ignore every single other factor in the specific event.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
its weird the things that make me most angey and likely to commit violence are the people that make these claims. Luckily I have videogames to go home to and beat 7 bells out of some pixels which is very cathartic and calms me down immensely....Funny that

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Hang on, he's Irish, he was drunk when he wrote that article. Everyone knows there are no sober Irishman.

(See how stereotypes work?)

Caravaggio

Nov 12, 2010
He blames the violence on video games. Does anyone remember when Sarah Palin drew cross-hairs over the face of the politician? Yeah, it was totally the video games.

Purple Dragon

Dec 19, 2010
not another one
and if what he says is true, why haven't I gone on a high school massacre, beleive me i have reason to

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Yeah, well, I blame the Irish. Desensitizing people to violence with their brawls and boxing matches, swigging cheap alcohol and cussing at each other like sailors, then going home to beat their wives and 25 children! Ruined America, they have!

Or it could be the fact that the shooter is batshit crazy. We may never know.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Somebody's had too much Bailey it seems...

I find it likely that reading about this kind of criticism on games is what caused the crazed killer to go off, and that people like Niall O'dowd are thus the reason he went on a killing spree.

My evidence? I'm not particularly familiar with them, and don't particularly like them because I feel they threaten my Christian values PSN score, and thus they're obviously the reason for everything bad that's happening everywhere. They must be, now that we've succeeded in eradicating witches.

I rest my case.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
ya know, i actually thought, for once, video games would be left out of this. i thought the fact that glen beck, bill o'reily, and to a lesser extent, sarah palin, have been constantly urging people to carry weapons and to literally fight back against those they disagree with, would heavily overshadow any influence games or movies would get blames for

silly me

Purple Dragon

Dec 19, 2010
Mrhappyface 2 said:
I can't believe he made such a big mistake. Then NRA actively tries to warn people against the misuses of firearms and teaches people to respect them and use them like tools, not toys. It's like saying that driving schools encourage people to drive fast and commit vehicular homicide since they teach people how to operate motor vehicles.
the NRA blocks gun control measures, and it's lack of gun control that allows these massacres to take place
so i would say yes tne NRA is indirectly to blame

Dec 15, 2008
wow just fucking wow why?? MOVIES, MUSIC, GAMES, ETC ARE JUST ENTRETEIMENT THEY ARE NOT SAYING TO KILL OUR FAMILYS OR BULLSHIT LIKE THAT ¬¬ THE PEOPLE THAT SAY THAT GAMES KILL ARE RETARDED, IF THE GAMES SAYS RATED MATURE, THE PARENTS MOST KNOW THAT ITS NOT FOR KIDS SO WHY THEY BUY IT?? ¬¬

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Oh, for fuck's sake, pointing out the logical fallacies in this guy's reasoning would just be sodomizing a dead horse. Let's all just agree that he's talking out of his ass and call it a day.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009

I read some of his arguments in the post and I,m pretty sure this guy is a troll you cant be that wrong about games (unless his first name is Jack and last Thompson)