Irish SOPA law has passed today

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Dejawesp said:
People really shouldn't try to justify the IRA. Few people did as much to damage to Ireland's independence as the IRA.

Whenever a British general wanted more troops or machinery to send to Ireland to keep the peace he could always count on the IRA to blow something up. Then he could point and go "See how unstable Ireland is? We need an even larger military presence there to protect them from themselves"
Then all you need is a good publicist and the common sense to only destroy Royalist machinery.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
What the hell can be done when everything that's tried is just ignored? I mean that in a serious manner, not a "what's the point in trying" kind of way.

Jun 23, 2008
There's always The Onion Router. That'll hook you up to rogue sites without traceability.

Tribler allows you to search for content without using torrent trackers at all by searching the chains of torrent-connected servers. It's a bit buggy and feature barren, but as an open-source project this will only get better.

And then Anomos is a torrent client in development that anonymizes your ISP when torrenting, also open source. Also in early stages.

Get active. Join the dark net. Go underground. Lead by example.

Maybe when sharing activity goes up in Ireland due to these stupid laws, the rest of the world will get the message: you can't stop piracy with litigation. You can stop piracy with a better business model.

But we've established that they're not trying to stop piracy. They're trying to stop the internet society itself. Big Content wants to still be the king of culture, and instead we're getting our culture from Angry Hitler videos and pictures of cats.

Speaking of which, Constantin Film AG is taking the Angry Hitler videos off YouTube for infringement, despite the fact that they're fair use.

238U

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh dear. This won't end well.
Let's hope they recall it fairly soon.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
My deepest condolences maybe if there is enough public outrage you can get rid of it. Makes me a bit nervous, being a denizen of the uk, I hope this blight wont infect us here.

Adiona

Mistress of Evil
Mar 25, 2008
verdant monkai said:
My deepest condolences maybe if there is enough public outrage you can get rid of it. Makes me a bit nervous, being a denizen of the uk, I hope this blight wont infect us here.
Well...look at our PM >.>

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
80,000 people signed the petition but there are 4.5 million people in the Republic of Ireland.

Sounds like an extremely small minority to me.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Uriel-238 said:
.......This is heavy? I agree.

I must say I'm rather surprised that a nation that was founded on the premise of stopping the blatent cultural opression by the British would enact something like this.

I guess it's only okay if the other Irish do it.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:
People really shouldn't try to justify the IRA. Few people did as much to damage to Ireland's independence as the IRA.

Whenever a British general wanted more troops or machinery to send to Ireland to keep the peace he could always count on the IRA to blow something up. Then he could point and go "See how unstable Ireland is? We need an even larger military presence there to protect them from themselves"
Then all you need is a good publicist and the common sense to only destroy Royalist machinery.
Its true. Once the Irish just went on with their lives and stopped killing each other and blowing stuff up. The British "warmachine" in Ireland starved to death from utter lack of being able to motivate their own presence.

May 17, 2010
Saladfork said:
Uriel-238 said:
.......This is heavy? I agree.

I must say I'm rather surprised that a nation that was founded on the premise of stopping the blatent cultural opression by the British would enact something like this.

I guess it's only okay if the other Irish do it.
I'm sorry what? We were founded on the basis of having a unique and separate Irish identity. Yes it was done in opposition to British imperialism but we aren't a reactionary force that bounces back i.e even if we weren't conquered and occupied we would of been a separate country with a separate identity.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:

Its true. Once the Irish just went on with their lives and stopped killing each other and blowing stuff up. The British "warmachine" in Ireland starved to death from utter lack of being able to motivate their own presence.
Except we still have totally random Protestant v Catholic attacks.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
80,000 people signed the petition but there are 4.5 million people in the Republic of Ireland.

Sounds like an extremely small minority to me.
To be fair only 3.5 million of those are voters. Sopa was crushed by 4 million people in a nation of 300 million (220 million voters)

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
bugger that, call up the french and break out the guillotines.
revolution up in this ************!

OT: let's hope we won't notice much of it's influence until some bright mind reverses this act, how enthusiastic is ireland in enforcng these kinda things, anyway?

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:

That is completely inconsequential. Violence, crime and murder in Ireland as a whole has dropped drastically and is now among the lowest in the world. If Protestants and Catholics still duke it out every now and then makes no difference.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:

That is completely inconsequential. Violence, crime and murder in Ireland as a whole has dropped drastically and is now among the lowest in the world. If Protestants and Catholics still duke it out every now and then makes no difference.
y'know, if there was any justification for withholding Northern Ireland from the Irish, stupid decisions like this Sean Sherlock guy would be it.

May 17, 2010
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:

y'know, if there was any justification for withholding Northern Ireland from the Irish, stupid decisions like this Sean Sherlock guy would be it.
Or the fact the majority of people in the North are Unionist and want to stay part of Great Britian. I'm Irish and there is no way in hell I want the North to come back, certainly not now.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
370999 said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:

Or the fact the majority of people in the North are Unionist and want to stay part of Great Britian. I'm Irish and there is no way in hell I want the North to come back, certainly not now.
I liked my reasoning better.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Adiona said:
verdant monkai said:
Well...look at our PM >.>
... Bollocks. We're screwed.

Damn, this is bad news. I feel for the citizens of Ireland right now. I really hope this isn't the start of something.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:
Thyunda said:
Dejawesp said:

I don't give a shit about Northen Ireland. The point is that the IRA made the situation worse while convincing themselves that they where helping.