Irish SOPA law has passed today

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Cloudwolf616 said:
His Facebook is bad!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sean-Sherlock-TD/185032148201312
Wary Gyse is going off on that.

OT: (I may not really know what I'm talking about here, and I'd appreciate it if someone would correct me if I'm wrong) At least it's not as bad as if America had passed it. America would have had the power to pull off websites from web, though if I'm getting this right, the most Ireland can do it just put up a block that I assume is easy to get around.

This doesn't change the fact of how despicable this is, and I truly am sorry for my pals over in Ireland.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Combustion Kevin said:
bugger that, call up the french and break out the guillotines.
revolution up in this ************!

OT: let's hope we won't notice much of it's influence until some bright mind reverses this act, how enthusiastic is ireland in enforcng these kinda things, anyway?
In the time of the internet and Anonymous, violent rebuttal is Barbaric. Just hope Anon gets enough support to send them a bit of hell.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
JoesshittyOs said:
In the time of the internet and Anonymous, violent rebuttal is Barbaric. Just hope Anon gets enough support to send them a bit of hell.
well, it DID work at the time, didn't it? :)

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Volf said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:
The Irish version of SOPA has just passed today and will be in effect soon ignoring a signed petition of 80,000 voters which is quite a big number of people over here.
So perhaps the Irish need to use the IRA again.
Why do people keep saying this, even in jest? I don't think people realize what the IRA actually is today...
I realize that they are a former shell of what they once were, but they made a difference in the last century, wouldn't you agree?
If by "made a difference" you mean 'devalued the injustice imposed on the people they claimed to represent by bringing nothing but misery and destruction to innocents though their own misguided aggression and bigotry', then yes.

Edit: OT: and we call ourselves the free world. SOPA and its ilk have just made it clear to me that democracy is just another form of dictatorship in its own way, except rather than governments oppressing the people, it's governments allowing greedy, self-interested individuals to oppress the people. Remember, in politics, principles can always be ignored when they become inconvenient.

I'm going to go cry in the corner now.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Volf said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:
The Irish version of SOPA has just passed today and will be in effect soon ignoring a signed petition of 80,000 voters which is quite a big number of people over here.
Why do people keep saying this, even in jest? I don't think people realize what the IRA actually is today...
I realize that they are a former shell of what they once were, but they made a difference in the last century, wouldn't you agree?
If by "made a difference" you mean 'devalued the injustice imposed on the people they claimed to represent by bringing nothing but misery and destruction to innocents though their own misguided aggression and bigotry', then yes.
Your profile says your from the UK, so it seems like you might have a bias.

As I said, I'm not referring to the current IRA, but the "original" IRA

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Dejawesp said:
People really shouldn't try to justify the IRA. Few people did as much to damage to Ireland's independence as the IRA.

Whenever a British general wanted more troops or machinery to send to Ireland to keep the peace he could always count on the IRA to blow something up. Then he could point and go "See how unstable Ireland is? We need an even larger military presence there to protect them from themselves"
You make it sound like the Black and the Tans are Ireland's fault.

May 17, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Volf said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:

Edit: OT: and we call ourselves the free world. SOPA and its ilk have just made it clear to me that democracy is just another form of dictatorship in its own way, except rather than governments oppressing the people, it's governments allowing greedy, self-interested individuals to oppress the people. Remember, in politics, principles can always be ignored when they become inconvenient.

I'm sorry what? This is like saying that the French Resistance in the Second World War was wrong Look sometimes you have to use armed resistance. Yes I do think in the long term that Ireland being independent was inevitable however armed struggle speed that up much quicker.

Look the IRA actions in the north after it became clear that it wasn't going to be part of the Republic were different, but in the South the struggle for Independence was IMHO a good and right thing and the IRA was the instrument through which it was carried out.

flare100

Sep 20, 2010
Sherlock's a joke. At the very least it seems signing this bill is a form political suicide for him..the little weasel..

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Volf said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Volf said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:

Why yes indeed, I am from the UK. It may also interest you to know that I have links to the British armed forces so I am well aware of how this could be interpreted. However, my mother's side of the family are actually from Belfast, and were driven out of their home by sectarian violence. So believe me, I know both sides. I admitted in my post that the people the IRA claimed they were fighting for did suffer injustice. I don't deny that. However, in my book people lose any sympathy I may have had for their plight the moment they take out their anger on innocent people, or to even endorse those actions. Nothing excuses terrorism, nothing.

I'm not clear what you mean by the 'current' IRA. I know what the IRA was originally, but the terrorist organisation that it became isn't exactly what I'd call 'current' anymore. The peak of it's activity was almost half a century ago. In 'current' terms the IRA doesn't even exist anymore as one central organisation.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
370999 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Volf said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:

I'm sorry what? This is like saying that the French Resistance in the Second World War was wrong Look sometimes you have to use armed resistance. Yes I do think in the long term that Ireland being independent was inevitable however armed struggle speed that up much quicker.

Look the IRA actions in the north after it became clear that it wasn't going to be part of the Republic were different, but in the South the struggle for Independence was IMHO a good and right thing and the IRA was the instrument through which it was carried out.
Let me start off by saying that, while I'm fully aware that the British occupation of Eire was morally suspect at best, we were not the Nazi's.

Second. Yes, the IRA's liberation of the South was justified. However, I am of the opinion that what they went on to become and the acts of terror they committed then undermined the credibility they had before. The moment you resort to terrorism to achieve your aims, you make a mockery of everything you stand for, in my opinion.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
370999 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Volf said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:

Let me start off by saying that, while I'm fully aware that the British occupation of Eire was morally suspect at best, we were not the Nazi's.

Second. Yes, the IRA's liberation of the South was justified. However, I am of the opinion that what they went on to become and the acts of terror they committed then undermined the credibility they had before. The moment you resort to terrorism to achieve your aims, you make a mockery of everything you stand for, in my opinion.
You might not have been Nazi's, but the same can't be said for the people who took part in Bloody Sunday(the 1920 and the 1972 one). Also the black and tans are far from innocent people

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
That's such a shame, I really like Ireland. When is your next election and how popular is this Sherlock guy with the general public?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Andaxay said:
Adiona said:
verdant monkai said:
My deepest condolences maybe if there is enough public outrage you can get rid of it. Makes me a bit nervous, being a denizen of the uk, I hope this blight wont infect us here.
Well...look at our PM >.>
... Bollocks. We're screwed.

Damn, this is bad news. I feel for the citizens of Ireland right now. I really hope this isn't the start of something.
I'm actually daring to feel slightly positive. David Cameron being the staunch supported of the Union that he is, I reckon he'll be determined to do the exact opposite of everything the Irish government says is a good idea.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Volf said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Volf said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:

Why yes indeed, I am from the UK. It may also interest you to know that I have links to the British armed forces so I am well aware of how this could be interpreted. However, my mother's side of the family are actually from Belfast, and were driven out of their home by sectarian violence. So believe me, I know both sides. I admitted in my post that the people the IRA claimed they were fighting for did suffer injustice. I don't deny that. However, in my book people lose any sympathy I may have had for their plight the moment they take out their anger on innocent people, or to even endorse those actions. Nothing excuses terrorism, nothing.

I'm not clear what you mean by the 'current' IRA. I know what the IRA was originally, but the terrorist organisation that it became isn't exactly what I'd call 'current' anymore. The peak of it's activity was almost half a century ago. In 'current' terms the IRA doesn't even exist anymore as one central organisation.

Perhaps there needs to be another Bobby Sands, who can tackle the passing of this bill.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I have a feeling I'll be flamed for this, but I feel like the only person on this island to support the law :p
I've heard a lot of people quietly mention that the SOPA-esque bills won't have anywhere near the impact we believe, and we are actually just allowing ourselves to be manipulated by the pirates that fear their affluent businesses will go down the pan, and because we really like stealing music and movies and pretending there's nothing wrong with it.

At the very least it will be interesting to see how this actually pans out.
Remember a couple of years ago when there were mass protests to save Youtube, because they were deleting all the copyrighted full length movies on it? Everyone was crying that it would kill Youtube. Obviously it did not.
SodaDew said:
And now were one step closer to a Revolution...

Today, they take away your Internet. But what of tomorrow? What then? Do the Executives take your homes? Your businesses? Your children? Your very lives? And what does the Government do? Nothing! Nay, worse than nothing! the Imperial machine enforces the will of the Corporations! Against its own people! So rise up! Rise up, children of the Internet! Rise up, Stormcloaks! Embrace the word of mighty Talos, he who is both man and Divine! For we are the children of man! And we shall inherit the heavens and earth! And we, not the Elves or their toadies, will rule The Internet! Forever!"

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Well a lot of Europeans seemed to think it was so funny when it was happening in the US...karma's a *****...

Ok, done venting. Seriously, this whole copyright thing has got to fucking stop. Can't the government go back to like obsessing over drugs or terrorists or something? You know, something that actually hurt someone, rather than make it slightly harder for a few billionaire execs to gold plate their mansions? Do these people just have nothing better to do?

Oh, I got an idea. Now, I'm not a politician, and my knowledge of government is rudimentary at best, but I have a bit of an action plan for you government types. Simple 3 part plan.

1.)STFU about copyrights and get out of Hollywood's pocket.
2.)Take like 10% of the energy you put into obsessing over copyrights.
3.)Use that to fix the damn economy instead of spending more money to keep a couple of suits happy.

May 17, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
370999 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Volf said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:

No you weren't that's true. However you still were an occupying force. It's not suspect but wrong. I'm not going to rant about you about English sins as honestly if the boot was on the other foot I'm pretty sure we would of done the same but still...

What time period of IRA action are we talking about may I ask? As the part I'm interested in defending is the from the Easter Rising (1916) to the end of the War of Independence (1919-1921) as I am not confident in my knowledge of the actions that took place in the North.

The Irish war of Independence was fought primarily through the sue of guerrilla warfare. No guerrilla warfare is even more ugly then regular wars but if you are fighting against a power which is so much stronger it's pretty much the only thing states can do.

There was indeed the use of terror tactics in the war, Michael's Collin's squad engaged in day light assassination of individuals who were working with the Crown force and there was some acts of arson but Irish men in farms in England, however the military component of the IRA campaign was heavily based on the use of Flying columns throughout campaign, though the action was mostly restricted to the Munster, though my home county of Longford has a lot of action take place (the house where my great grandparents lived was actually used as a safe-house during the war)

While there was ongoing discussion within the Dail as to what form the fighting should take, de Valera wanted it to be more conventional as he though that would be better, the reality was the to win the war, and if Ireland was fighting she should be trying to win,. was that she had to get her hands dirty.

Your terrorism concept is one that is often said but I disagree. I think it is a horrid thing for innocent's to die but the neccesity of Ireland lacking her independence meant she was justified in targeting members of the RIC.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Volf said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
370999 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Volf said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Volf said:
Cloudwolf616 said:

You might not have been Nazi's, but the same can't be said for the people who took part in Bloody Sunday(the 1920 and the 1972 one). Also the black and tans are far from innocent people
Did I ever say they were? I know we oppressed Ireland, and I consider our actions there to be one of the biggest black marks in our history (and coming from us that's saying something). All I'm saying is that I don't think oppression excuses terrorism.