is 0 even or odd?

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
bahumat42 said:
keideki said:
Neither.... zero is not a number, but a lack there of.
THANK YOU
Nice response time btw, your dragging the intelligence of the escapist up. Good job :) Id usually expect this kind of response by the end of a thread.
Zero is a number. Would negative numbers be less of a number than zero if 0 was not a number? Zero is considered an integer (and sometimes a natural number) which are by definition real.

Wabblefish said:
Isn't 0 technically not a number or something?

I've heard maths teachers say stuff like "0 technically isn't a number but technically it is" then said some random shit like that...they've also somehow explained to me that it's an even number too but I dunno.
0 is a number. Don't worry. It is also even.

Dulcinea said:
Apparently some people think zero isn't a number, but a 'mathematical concept' XD
Which by the way are all numbers XD

Elven Marksman

Jun 27, 2008
I'd say hes pretty odd.

I mean look at him
http://www.pureanimegallery.com/d/4415-1/ZERO-code-geass.jpg

=D

OT: I think Zero is even

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
By sequence alone you can sum it up as even due to even numbers ending in the 0, 2, 4, 6 and 8 digits. This of course is aided further if you consider negative values to support the sequence of even numbers, as in 0 is the next value between -2 and 2.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Zantos said:
0 is not a natural number.
Actually that just depends on who you ask. Zero is "sometimes" considered natural. "Natural Number" is actually kind of an ambiguous term to begin with

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
0 only excists because people needed a mathematical sign for "nothing", just like the *infinite sign; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity* is a sign for infinity.

Is *infinite* an even or an uneven number? Neither; it is not a number. 0 is the true opposite of *infinite*. 0 basically means infinately less than every other number. Therefor, it is not bound to being even or uneven.

Conor147

Mar 10, 2011
AnOriginalConcept said:
It's even.

A number is even if it is divisible by 2 with no remainder.
which is a useful rule if were talking about numbers. unfortunately 0 is not a number.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
drummond13 said:
Podunk said:
I like how many people totally know what they're talking about and have opposing answers.

I like how the issue has been definitively proven about a dozen times and there are still people saying that zero isn't an actual number.
Hey, I like that too. I also like that this has gone on for FIVE pages already. And counting!

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
0 is not an actual number therefore can't be even or odd.
EDIT: wow this thread is a bit long for a maths question.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Purple Shrimp said:
in terms of functions it's both. a function is even if f(x) = f(-x) and odd if f(-x) = -f(x), and f(x) = 0 satisfies both. I don't know if that necessarily carries across to the number but it'd make sense
That states that the function f(x)=0 has no parity, not that zero has no parity.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
i think even if you follow the even numbers: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12. take away 10 from 12 to get 2 and take 10 from 10 = 0. but thats only so you can use it.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Hazzaslagga said:
0 is not an actual number...
This seems appropriate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
Avoiding the question by modifying well defined definitions.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Tzekelkan said:
Zero_ctrl said:
Electrohydra said:
RaNDM G said:
Zero isn't a number. It's a concept.
It's a number. And a concept. Because all numbers are concepts (or fillers, or whatever you want to call it). Even your "normal" numbers.

Don't believe me, then find me, find a 21. Not 21 things, but A 21. Or someone feeling 21 if you think it's an emotion. Or doing 21 if you think it's an action. Etc.
Others have correctly answered the question despite having completely opposing answers. It really just depends on the context.
Not really. Many people have posted proof that zero is even, but no one has posted proof that it's odd, or that it's neither/both. Not a single post showed proof that zero isn't even. Everybody's just "trust me gais, I got dis".
Whoops, I read a bit closer into some of the things people said.
>_>

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
even, the way I learned to tell was by starting number, with odds it starts at 1 then adds a 2 as it goes, so 1, 3, 5. With evens it starts from a 2 and then adds a 2 as its goes. 2, 4, 6, 8. See? Now just minus 1 by 2 and you get -1, not 0. 2 - 2 = 0, so its even.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
It's Nothing. No, really. There's not much else to say. This and the prior two sentences only exist so as to allow me to avoid mod wrath.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Actually, according to mathematics - it depends. There is no rule saying whenever 0 is a natural number or not. I's something that can be argued back and forth when people are bored and neither answer is wrong nor right.
Since to speak about a number being even or odd the number has to be considered a natural number, it all depends whenever you see 0 as natural or not.