is 0 even or odd?

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
This thread is amazing. How the fuck can anyone claim "I'm not a mathematician, but I know for fact that all mathematicians are lazy. Of course zero is [insert bullshit here]."

EGtodd09 said:
Zero is just zero because of conflicting mathematical rules. There's reasons for it to be even and odd so it's just classified as zero.
What are those reasons for it to be odd, hmmm? I've read every post, and nobody has given any of those. Many people have proven time and again that zero is even, but no one has even tried to find proof that it isn't. Somehow, the 'zero is not a number, it is an abstract concept (read: and the other numbers aren't abstract concepts at all, no no no)'.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
EGtodd09 said:
Zero is just zero because of conflicting mathematical rules. There's reasons for it to be even and odd so it's just classified as zero.

/thread
You're only allowed to /thread when you're right.

Again, this is math. There are no two points of view, here. By every conceivable mathematical definition zero is even.

I'm starting to get kinda scared, here. I really hope this thread is just full of trolls.

aprildog18

Feb 16, 2010
What is wrong with you people. 0 is odd. Berp de derp

Well really it is even -_-

An even number is an integer number that is divisible by 2. That means that when you divide by 2, the remainder is zero. Conversely, an odd number is an integer number whose remainder is 1 when divided by 2.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
It's more of a mathematical concept then an an actual number. But I'd say even, just so it fits the sequence

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
It would be even. You get an integer when you divide it by 2. If anyone trusts wikipedia, it is the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_%28number%29#As_a_number>third sentence.

Fishehh said:
But since it isn't in the category of Real Numbers, it does not matter
Uhhh....What?!

You are going to have to explain that one to me. I am pretty sure it is on a number line(right there, in the middle). Zero is an integer which are real by definition.

ThunderDumpling said:
We're kidding right?
I sure hope so.

Heathrow said:
Yes, okay. But how do you tell two chunks of nothing divided into equal groups apart from one big bunch of nothing with a set of scales in it? For that matter, what if you have three equal groups of nothing?

Mathematicians are lazy and the only reason 0 is technically even is because it fits the oversimplified definition of parity.
even=

odd=

Although I really don't know why you think it needs to be any more complicated than "if dividing by two gets you an integer, its even. If adding 1 then dividing by 2 gives you an integer, then it is odd". Also 0 is not the same thing as nothing. This may be where some people are being tripped up.

The Cheezy One said:
It's more of a mathematical concept then an an actual number. But I'd say even, just so it fits the sequence
Aren't all numbers just mathematical concepts though? Especially the imaginary ones?

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
if the only two options are even or odd its even. 4-2=2 which is even. 2-2=0 which is even.

but i would really say it is neither odd or even being the lack of a number or it is the ultimate even number.

AtheistConservative

May 8, 2011
Since people apparently don't like the definition of even, 2*m where m is in Z. Z is the set of all integers (... , -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, ...). Z is composed of numbers who are either even or odd.
Here are two similar proofs by contradiction:
Definition of odd #1: k is odd if k = 2*m - 1; where m is in Z.
Suppose 0 is odd,
0 = 2*m - 1;
1 = 2*m
no m can be found in Z to satisfy the above and 0 is in Z, 0 is even.

Definition of odd #2: k is odd if k = 2*m + 1; where m is in Z.
Suppose 0 is odd,
0 = 2*m + 1;
-1 = 2*m
no m can be found in Z to satisfy the above and 0 is in Z, 0 is even.

0 is as much of a number as any other number is and it is even. This really isn't debatable, it's like arguing that gravity is a repulsive force between two masses.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I like how many people totally know what they're talking about and have opposing answers.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Podunk said:
I like how many people totally know what they're talking about and have opposing answers.

I like how the issue has been definitively proven about a dozen times and there are still people saying that zero isn't an actual number.

blaqknoise

Feb 27, 2010
Benmonkey7 said:
blaqknoise said:
Kingpopadopalus said:
blaqknoise said:
Even. You can split it equally into two groups.
Bad math is bad. 1 can be split equally into two groups as well. .5 and .5
....Well fuck...
Actually, blaqknoise was correct. Dividing one by two gets you a fraction. In order for something to be even, dividing it by two has to equal an integer. One half is not an integer. But zero is an integer. 0/2 equals 0, which is an integer. So, 0 is even.
nice, so I'm still smart and stuff.

Scipio1770

Oct 3, 2010
AtheistConservative said:
0 is as much of a number as any other number is and it is even. This really isn't debatable, it's like arguing that gravity is a repulsive force between two masses.
I think you might have a future contestant here..

pliusmannn said:
Neither, it's a starting point in the infinity, basically, zero is nothing, like the begginning of a universe, negatives are infinite space in anti-matter/anti-energy universe and positives are our universe (thinking that big bang created enough energy to produce to mirror universes). zero is that point. In math zero is a starting point in infinite line, the place where you can begin. In physics zero doesn't exist (except from basic physics. In quantum mechanics zero doesn't exist, only numbers so small that they can be ignored as they doesn't make a difference in your equation). In phylosophy zero is absolute nothingness

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
I'm going with it's even.

Even numbers follow the following rule "x % 2 = 0", and odd numbers are just "x % 2 ~= 0". Odd just means uneven. You can not be even and uneven. If you are divisible by two then you are even.

crudus said:
It would be even. You get an integer when you divide it by 2. If anyone trusts wikipedia, it is the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_%28number%29#As_a_number>third sentence.

Fishehh said:
But since it isn't in the category of Real Numbers, it does not matter
Uhhh....What?!

You are going to have to explain that one to me. I am pretty sure it is on a number line(right there, in the middle). Zero is an integer which are real by definition.
I think he means natural.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Also, since we're learning basic math.

Question:
12 / 3(3 + 3)

Answer:
The answer is 24.

Edit: Made problem difficult

Edit: Made answer correct.