Is America going to collapse?

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Optional Opinion said:
Ossian said:
Are we going to survive or should I start speaking Indian/Chinese?
I'm sorry to break it to you but it's going to be Korean that you'll be speaking.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.240881-Homefront-Novel-Tells-Story-of-Korea-Invading-U-S-in-2027?page=1
Lol north korea cant even feed it's own people, let alone cross the ocean, and destroy the worlds strongest super power. and south korea, for the most part, wants nothing to do with them.

Even china would have a logistical nightmare of moving it's massive numbers of troops.

It also depends on what kind of jobs you are looking for.
Manual labor almost always has openings, it's not a surprise you cant find a nice easy job.

also depends on what you are in school for.. arts or something no, you will probably never find a job.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Nice location selection, though. Consider moving to the city when you move out.
Oh believe me, I will. I really really will. 21 years living in wilderness away from any friends to make, jobs to work, and schools to attend makes you amazed your still sane.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Actually, everyone will just turn to the EU and China. No one country is so important that it takes the entire world with it when it commits suicide.
Maybe - just a little problem: Europe is gonna go down too - it just takes a *slightly* more disciplined approach at it. It may not suffer as hard as the USA, but it will have to kill the EMU, sooner or later.

So, that pretty much leaves only china. Problem is just: Who's gonna buy all their stuff during the crisis, considering that they rely so heavily on export?

Ryouma

Feb 16, 2011
Just wantet to share a link.
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Its the debt clock of usa.

About your job situasion i hope it works out and you find somthing, same for your familie.
Cant say we have the same problems in norway, even tho the job market is abit tight here to according to people applying for work.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Ossian said:
lacktheknack said:
Ossian said:
LifeCharacter said:
Your overdramatizing this a bit aren't you? Germany was a lot worse off at the end of WWI, granted it is a bit overshadowed by something a little later.

Just because we had economic problems does not mean we're going to turn into a third world nation, you not getting a job doesn't mean the country is dying.
Again, its not just me. How is the nation's Poverty stricken families going to get to work when they spend $5 a gallon on gas to get to work? Maybe its worse where I am, as Florida has never been all that great.
Bus.

Seriously, I go everywhere on a bus. The bus is your friend. Try using it.
Merkavar said:
Ossian said:
Again, its not just me. How is the nation's Poverty stricken families going to get to work when they spend $5 a gallon on gas to get to work? Maybe its worse where I am, as Florida has never been all that great.
ride a bike. walk to work if its close enough. use public transport. get a more fuel effecient car(im assuming cuase your american you have a massive hummer :). Car pool to work.
I live in the country, 35-40 mins to school Half hour to the nearest wallmart. My bro drives a crappy little 2 door, mom drives a minivan. No buses come out here and I'm looking at a 1 1/2 bike ride to civilization, which would result in MASSIVE sunburns, trust me I've tried. I could barely touch my arms for a week.

Florida Sun is BRUTAL.
..then move? seriously, just because you live in the middle of no where and cant find a job.. hardly means the country is falling apart. I can take a 10 minute walk downtown and find a job where I live.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Mcface said:
It also depends on what kind of jobs you are looking for.
Manual labor almost always has openings, it's not a surprise you cant find a nice easy job.

also depends on what you are in school for.. arts or something no, you will probably never find a job.
Well I guess I need to rethink my major. Haha.

But my dad has a land clearing/development/construction business and well, he's been outta work for the most part.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
No. No its not. If you look, America is acutally coming out of it. It was a recession, and times are tough all around. Dont expect a quick rebound, but America is FAR from collapsing.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
The hole's getting deeper, but we'll eventually get out of this slump. Maybe in a couple years hint

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
Ossian said:
Because I'm getting worried. I can't find a job anywhere, I'm trying my best. Gas prices are going so insanely high my parents are having a hard time getting to work in the morning, and I know there are family way worse off than mine. I heard prices are going to be $5.00 later this year.

How much longer can this last? I want to finish college and get a career but I fear there won't even be a job market when I get out. I have this overwhelming sense of doom crushing down on me. (Mind you I do live with a dad that is the biggest prophet of doom you've ever seen.)
I know history is full of depressions, but the world is a much different place, population growth no longer bolsters an economy like it did back in the day.
What do you think? Are we going to survive or should I start speaking Indian/Chinese?
The US economy's technically already experiencing growth again, it's typical for a recession to have the job market be the last thing to bounce back. College students are in a decent situation right now, they're relatively insulated from economic troubles and thus its quite possible that you'll exit in a slightly more forgiving job market. US unemployment's around 9% from my recollection, natural rate is 4-6% so only a few points off normal economic activity. This is probably a situation where you'll want to take the first few job offers that come your way though.

The US isn't going to crash, the recession's a brief stumble in an otherwise healthy trot. The recession revealed flaws in the banking system and the fact that the government had been asleep at the wheel. The often overlooked Dodd-Frank Act looks to correct a lot of what went wrong in the recession.

Also, it's Hindi, the language spoken most widely as an official language in India is Hindi.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
In the 20th century, the United States endured two world wars and other traumatic and expensive military conflicts; the Depression; a dozen or so recessions and financial panics; oil shocks; a flu epidemic; and the resignation of a disgraced president,,,

I think it can handle this mess

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
To those who think that "america is recovering": Your "recovery" is powered by.... hmm, no, not even air.... i think it's belief. Like those riders in comics, that continue to ride, if they don't realized yet that they have no horse anymore. Your economic health is a simulation, sponsored by the fed.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Dancingman said:
Also, it's Hindi, the language spoken most widely as an official language in India is Hindi.
Thanks, I actually knew that but for some dumb reason I wrote Indian =X

Lyx said:
To those who think that "america is recovering": Your "recovery" is powered by.... hmm, no, not even air.... i think it's belief. Like those riders in comics, that continue to ride, if they don't realized yet that they have no horse anymore. Your economic health is a simulation, sponsored by the fed.
Bit dark ya think? Belief can often be enough to keep on. Hope and all that sappy goodness.

The_Shinigamer

Jun 24, 2009
LifeCharacter said:
Germany was a lot worse off at the end of WWI, granted it is a bit overshadowed by something a little later.
I'd like to remind you, GErmany got out of that by mass-killing minorities to get people devout to their homeland. Not a great solution.

Here in Kentucky, life is hell. Drugs and crime are up and EVERYTHING else is down. Well, except prices for gas and food and water and, well, anything you need to live.

BTW, hard to ride a bus to another town to work especially when most smaller towns do not have busses (eg. Mt. Sterling where I work), hard to carpool in smaller Towns at all because there's no telling how far you have to drive out of the way to do so, and how do you buy a new car when you CAN'T GET A JOB!?!?!

Jeeze

Deprassing PS: The biggest employer in Kentucky has steadily been a Toyota Manufacturing Plant in Georgetown. Let that sink in a moment

Alarming PPS: I'm failing out of Graphic Arts school and have a slightly German heritage. Uh...

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Ossian said:
Lyx said:
Bit dark ya think? Belief can often be enough to keep on. Hope and all that sappy goodness.
It can be enough to bridge a gap - to delay stuff.... thing is... where do you think that "bridge" is ending? How to fix those HUGE financial imbalances (both current and accumulated) in a matter of a few years?

It's too late for the bridge.

P.S.: I'm not implying that this is "the end of the USA". Far from it. This isn't doomsday or some similiar stuff. The USA will survive - it just won't be able to maintain what it currently is.

Thk13421

Nov 22, 2009
Its just boom and bust: all economies go through the same cycles. Sometimes, the highs and lows are more exaggerated, but it's nothing to panic over. The good times will return, as they always do.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Civilizations have risen and fallen in a regular pattern ever since we HAD civilizations. There's a famous journal paper about this, but I forget what it's called.

However, the amount of interconnectedness between discrete societies that we have today has never existed before.

I figure this means that the U.S. won't collapse (at least, not like the Roman Empire collapsed) but it'll gradually be eclipsed by countries that are more resourceful and more... energetic, I suppose, is how I would describe it.

Either that, or we're so interconnected now that if one major society suffers a crisis, then the entire world will follow.

I'd say if any society in the world is going to collapse, like REALLY collapse, it's going to be Mexico. They are a country owned and operated by criminal syndicates. Of course, the wealthy elite in that country have the advantage that they don't have to raise their hand to keep the people down; they can let the drug cartels do that FOR them. Then they throw up their hands and pretend the cartels are too powerful to stop. It's a clever setup, really. Be interesting to see what happens when (and if) it finally fails.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Nah, we're going to need to change our lifestyles and consumer culture quite a bit in the coming years, though. We've created a system that can't support itself, and we're paying the price.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
The_Shinigamer said:
[

and how do you buy a new car when you CAN'T GET A JOB!?!?!
Can't get a job without school > can't go to school without a job > can't get a job without a car > can't get a car without a job.