Is anyone defending EA at this point?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KelDG said:
My childhood developers, given the promise of better funding or forced majority buyouts :(. The demise of so many good franchises.
If they don't know better by now, they have as much right to complain about surprise as consumers do.

None. Pattern recognition kept us alive for millennium after millennium. It's a shame it's a borderline vestigial trait in modern man.

Mar 12, 2013
Vigormortis said:
It's really a catch-22 for me. I really want to see the talented people behind some of these games getting paid and retaining their jobs. But I really, really don't want to have my money being used to perpetuate EAs practices.

It's the age-old dilemma of wanting to support the artist and the art, but wanting to steer clear of the art dealers.
I used to have the same concern as you. Until one day I realised, instead of worrying all the corporate horse manure. I should just be happy and do what's going to benefit me as a consumer. If I fixed the EA business culture, so what? I am not going to see a single cents out of it. At the end of the day, as long I get my products that's all it matters.

Without EA fronting them the money, they won't have a job to begin with. I guess this is why crowd funding projects are huge right now. There's also some potential risk involve, as it eliminate the middleman and the extra layer of protection. If the project collapsed or can't meet the deadline. People who backed the project are going to get burn.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I don't have many of their games, but the ones I do have they've always done well by me. I haven't publicly defended them until now but I still think they're awesome. The recent games of theirs I've played is the Mass Effect trilogy, and there was so much free DLC that I just don't understand people calling them money-grabbing. Also some of my oldest games are from them, like the Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets game that I played so long ago.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
As much as I dislike their marketing (which we wont debate about now)the only games they really "fucked up" were Sim city and other shit I didn't care about as long as they make games I like and fix the marketing issue I will consider them one of the company's I like (along with Bethesda and Bio-ware...Its a Hard list to get onto OK)

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
KelDG said:
ScrabbitRabbit said:
EA do some shitty things, but people treat them like monsters that can do no right and must never be forgiven.
They are monsters...... Never forget.....

My childhood developers, given the promise of better funding or forced majority buyouts :(. The demise of so many good franchises.

captcha : Speeding bullet..... you cruel b**tard.

-Anti Flame Shield Activated-

Lets see...Bioware, Frog whatever, somerandomname, etc...

Meh, almost none of them were worth it except Maxis and Westwood anyways. lol.

If anything, when they kill who is ACTUALLY the biggest evilest company of them all, (aka BIOWARE), I will be more than happy to hurray for EA and they will gain a fair number of points of approval from me.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Still more evidence of EA/Maxis flat out lying about SimCity:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/14/modder-runs-simcity-offline-maxis-remains-silent/

Yay, DRM. Boo, complete and utter bullshitting about it.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
What baffles me about EA is that we consistently validate their behaviour with our purchases, then scream that they're doing things wrong.
I haven't bought a EA game since Mass Effect 2, and even then i already only bought few of their games anymore.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Don Incognito said:
Still more evidence of EA/Maxis flat out lying about SimCity:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/14/modder-runs-simcity-offline-maxis-remains-silent/

Yay, DRM. Boo, complete and utter bullshitting about it.
Keep the nails coming Reddit, I'll grab the hammer

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I went from hating EA to apathy because I realized I had no reason to hate them. I went from apathy to actually liking them when, just yesterday, I managed to get my copies of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 that I bought on Steam to be activated on Origin so that, once I get my free game for buying Sim City, I can have all three on the same system. It was pretty hassle free too.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vigormortis said:
The irony of the whole affair is, as a community we despise the "childish" image gamers are portrayed as amongst non-gamers, yet many of us do nothing but act childishly.
And that sums up most of this debate in a nutshell. I'm not okay with what these companies do, but we empower them and then whine that they do this stuff.

I'm torn on a crash. I don't know how much good it would do.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lapan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
What baffles me about EA is that we consistently validate their behaviour with our purchases, then scream that they're doing things wrong.
I haven't bought a EA game since Mass Effect 2, and even then i already only bought few of their games anymore.
And when you represent the majority, that will be a significant fact.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
lapan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
If EA keeps going like this the percentage of users like me will grow. Very slowly, but steady

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
lapan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
lapan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
If EA keeps going like this the percentage of users like me will grow. Very slowly, but steady
Well after the current debarkle that percentage going to increase and not just core gamers washing their hands of EA.

While ME3 was a big seller, it was mainly focused at the so-called 'hardcore' crowd and most of the ire was from them. SimCity however had a more widespread focus with more casual consumers.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lapan said:
It's a specious assumption that this number will ever necessarily mean anything.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
lapan said:
It's a specious assumption that this number will ever necessarily mean anything.
A man can hope. They have to learn that you can't constantly pull this shit on people.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
First of all, i'd like to point out that I don't actually hate them for SimCity, considering I don't care for it, but I hate them for their overall business practices, including the DRM.
EA are just playing a winning game. They release a bad product or a product that has been subjected to all their practices, and it just pull really big numbers. Why change what works? what we may type on an internet forum won't make them change anything, it's when they reach out to their pockets to find it less than full....

That's what changes things.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I defended the micro-transactions for Dead Space 3 the other day. Probably the nicest thing I've ever said about EA in a long-ass time.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
I don't really defend them, but I sometimes tell people to lay off the hate because it often gets annoying and way too overly dramatic. It's really nothing to get so worked up over, not because it's okay for EA to pull this shit, but because everyone already agrees with you. There are some things that EA does that people rage over that I'm okay with, though, like the day-one DLC for Mass Effect. I'm not going to bother going into why, just go watch Extra Credits' episode on it or something.