Is anyone else a bit bored of Jimquisition?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Haerthan said:
Please show me where he is hypocritical. Please do. And btw, saying that harrassment is bad from both sides, isn't. Show it to me in the sutff he put out in the Jimqusition.
Look, I really hate bringing up this crap outside of where it should be, in the GG thread, but you have such a hard-on for Jim being flawless I'm going to make an exception.

In his harassment video, he goes on and on about how harassment is bad, but fails to say that his dev friends are just, if not even more, as guilty if harassment constitutes saying mean things on twitter(let's just leave doxxing out, because there's been more actual and verified doxxings from his friends and the indie clique throughout this debacle) from anonymous accounts.

He brought up specific instances of when they were "attacked for being and supporting women in the game industry" when it was because they were morons spouting stupid things and some only happened to be women(I'm not denying there were probably more than a handful of comments because of that though, but to say ALL of them is ignorant at best, and an outright lie at worst, not to mention simply acting like they are above criticism never going over well with anybody).

I'm all for calling out communities for their morons and telling said morons to shape up, but to say the entire community is full of morons is stupid and suggests you have no compassion for your fans or your profession. He lost alot of respect from alot of people for his attitude during this thingy.

I could bring up more, but I consider those the most relevant and worst transgressions.

Edit: Lunatic brought up a much better example I was unaware of, so I'll second that and shelve my own.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Haerthan said:
Please show me where he is hypocritical. Please do. And btw, saying that harrassment is bad from both sides, isn't. Show it to me in the sutff he put out in the Jimqusition.
I think his treatment of the developers of Uh... whatever the awful game he was last complaining about was, Slaughtering Grounds? Or something, was pretty hypocritical.

I mean, on the one hand, he's denouncing harassment, on the other, he's then harassing the developers by making like three videos on a subject that barely needed one and directing the ire of his fans against them.

Their forums were flooded with people calling them terrible things, wishing them death and other lovely delights.

Jim however, didn't seem willing to say anything about this harassment he had caused.

To me, that's hypocritical. He could have done it in a much better way, he could have not singled out a certain develop and made a general video, instead he took glee in tearing apart a single small indie team and indirectly putting a big target for harassment on them.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Maybe it's just me, but I never really watched Jimquisition for laughs. I watched them as a breakdown/explanation of various events and controversies that occurred within the gaming industry or community, and sometimes accompanied by an intelligent opinion of the matter. His Objective Review was less a laugh for me and more of an example of what people were asking for rather than what they wanted.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
veloper said:
endtherapture said:
DizzyChuggernaut said:
He seems to have relegated his comedy to his let's play videos. I still enjoy Jim Sterling's stuff though the guy can be a bit of a dick.

I do agree that his Gamergate-related videos have been very condescending but to be honest, his condescension pales in comparison to what others have been doing. At least he isn't advocating that people get dox...

ohh... oh shit.[footnote]Yes I know I'm exaggerating, the guy probably doesn't legitimately want personal details circulated but he's had a few instances of treating certain consumers like a problem to be solved rather than actual people[/footnote]

Well... he doesn't want a second Holocaust so that's at least something.
Oh sigh

Jim really was a bit of a bastion for the consumers a few years ago. Now he's just seems to speak down to consumers and patronise them, and shame them into being better people which is a really negative attitude to take. In the end the consumers are what keep the industry running, and are his fans to boot, so he's definitely got to be careful not to go too far.

What a shame, didn't expect him to be so hypocritical :(
It's Adam Sessler who's actually saying it. I didn't hear Jim saying anything in this vid other than some murmering noise at the end and he didn't get an opportunity to respond before the yelling audience drowning him out.

I respect Jim enough to give him the benefit of the doubt here.
Jim often acts the clown, but I cannot believe he's also a kook to take little internet arguments into real life.

The Jimquisition could benefit from a fresh new act though.
I agree. The video title is just putting words he never said in his mouth.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Personally never found his videos enjoyable, I didn't hate them, but I always thought it seemed like he was shooting fish in a barrel, when has criticizing big publishers for practices such as micro transactions and DLC ever been considered a new or intriguing opinion?

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Well. He's alive, at least. The content have lost some of its shine, but honestly. If I had been involved in the journalistic side of the industry, I'd probably have shot myself by now.

Fingers crossed that he'll recover the spark. Or perhaps I'm the one who needs something recovered. Fingers crossed nonetheless.

BonusChild

Dec 16, 2014
He's getting pretty old to me. I still like him, but he seems so overly judgment. Every week lately has been either "Girl gamer got insulted, so lecture about how all heterosexual white men are evil and women and minorities are completely incapable of ever doing any wrong", yet, he never does any stories about corrupt female gaming figures, ever. Or, "Triple A is evil".

Still love Jim. I just wish he would just let those two subjects go at least for a bit and actually put a little effort into some thing else for once.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
It's maybe more the industry's fault cos nothing ever changes and its just the same shit happening all the time.

Podquisition is pretty good though. Its a good cast and its good to hear Jim actually talking about games again instead of Dean Cain and other bullshit.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
He's been pretty stale for a year now, and honestly, it's to be expected. People start these shows with a list of things they want to cover, then they cover it and need new ideas, but they haven't been quite as well thought out. Then they want to be topical so they try and cover topics they don't want to with minimal effort behind them and..well. you begin to understand why similar material done professionally (late night monologues, The Daily Show, etc.) are done by teams of writers and researchers. One man trying will eventually burn out of the A material.

So to me the show dropped off covering little in the way of new material, or with new insight, or even new jokes, and just degraded into yet another "here's why I think something is wrong and the people thinking otherwise are greedy idiots" show. I wasn't happy to see him leave the escapist, but I also don't miss a show repeating loops about how some steam developers are douches, the AAA won't take risks or appeal to the progressive cause, and how gamers are entitled brats. Even if true, you just become the old man shaking your fist at the world if all you can produce is grumbling about it.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
BonusChild said:
He's getting pretty old to me. I still like him, but he seems so overly judgment. Every week lately has been either "Girl gamer got insulted, so lecture about how all heterosexual white men are evil and women and minorities are completely incapable of ever doing any wrong", yet, he never does any stories about corrupt female gaming figures, ever. Or, "Triple A is evil".

Still love Jim. I just wish he would just let those two subjects go at least for a bit and actually put a little effort into some thing else for once.
I'd love if he dropped all the social niceties and actually went after the stupid shit in the industry, not just the stuff everyone else has already had a turn with. He'd gain a hell of a lot more good will from the masses that are funding him right now than he would lose from those that got ticked at what he said.

It all boils down to whether or not he actually wants the responsibility of what he claims to be. Problem is he's trying to look like he's doing that while doing voice work and a couple other things with the indie crowd. Actually doing what he says he wants to do would probably stop that source of capitol(not sure if he's doing it for money or trust, or both) though.

And at the moment, he doesn't do anything better than anybody else out there for me.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
MarsAtlas said:
Just a reminder, its a thirteen second clip. You're not going to get proper context. Additionally, people, including Jim, were already praising what Sessler was saying before he got to the "expose their addresses" bit. You're never going to get proper context from an audio clip that cuts out at the point where most people would react. And lets face it, at a panel like that, its not the time to bring up an issue like that. There's a very good chance that they were even being paid to speak, so thats more of a after-the-fact conversation. I mean, lets be real - do you call out every single worrying thing you hear somebody say? If I tried that during the holidays I wouldn't get through one hour with them before getting disowned. Certain conversations at certain times an avenues, and when you've got a big audience who paid to hear you talk about a specific subject and that you'd previously agreed to keep things civil with your fellow panelists, its not the time. Its a shitty gotcha that anybody who is trying to think critically could see past, so lets just recognize it for what it is.
I know the context of the clip, it was dealing with hate speech. The clip itself was probably removed of context to make Sessler look like more of a dick than he is, not surprising considering the fact that the Gamergate hashtag was part of the video title and they seem to love making the people they criticise look as menacing as possible. Posting the video was probably a bad idea in hindsight, but I was annoyed at Jim's complicity rather than the active participation that he didn't even do.

My point specifically was that hate speech or not, this is something dangerous to talk about. This is not something anyone should make light of and given that one of Jimquisition's main appeals is calling people out for saying toxic things, I would have liked that mentality to apply to affiliates of Jim's and not just to corporations and their CEOs. To me saying something like "let's expose these peoples' addresses" should be met with the same reaction as someone saying something openly racist or indeed, encouraging harassment/stalking (because let's be honest, that's what doxxing is used for).

Maybe I'm making more of a deal out of this than I should.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Yeah it got pretty old. When he left I found myself hoping that a lot of the salt on this website would be leaving with him. No such luck.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
endtherapture said:
rbstewart7263 said:
The last episode was funny but Iwas looking for some new point to be made and.... its the same point he made the last time a bioware game let you bang a same sex character.meh
Yeah I feel the same. He's definitely just repeating himself. Oh another Greenlight episode, another harassment episode, another EA episode, another Ubisoft episode, Get some variety Jim.
In all fairness, it's kind of difficult to get some variety when pretty much all the talking points for the last twelve months have been crap Greenlight games, game devs getting harassed, and shady practices by EA and Ubisoft...

I mean, let's be honest here, guys; when all's said and done, 2014 has been a pretty sh!tty, monotonous year for the games industry

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Haerthan said:
I think his treatment of the developers of Uh... whatever the awful game he was last complaining about was, Slaughtering Grounds? Or something, was pretty hypocritical.

I mean, on the one hand, he's denouncing harassment, on the other, he's then harassing the developers by making like three videos on a subject that barely needed one and directing the ire of his fans against them.

Their forums were flooded with people calling them terrible things, wishing them death and other lovely delights.

Jim however, didn't seem willing to say anything about this harassment he had caused.

To me, that's hypocritical. He could have done it in a much better way, he could have not singled out a certain develop and made a general video, instead he took glee in tearing apart a single small indie team and indirectly putting a big target for harassment on them.
Yeah, that's when I pretty much stopped watching him too. When that game's devs released their second video, changed their minds, and quickly took it down and Jim went ahead and out of spite re-posted a copy of the video and laughed like a maniac I realized he was acting so childish and the game's devs seemed to be the ones trying to be adult about it.

Then, like you said, there was talk about his fans putting out the devs addresses and sending threats and hate mail and I never saw Jim denounce those types of actions so it turned me off from him.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Redryhno said:
Haerthan said:
Look, I really hate bringing up this crap outside of where it should be, in the GG thread, but you have such a hard-on for Jim being flawless I'm going to make an exception.

In his harassment video, he goes on and on about how harassment is bad, but fails to say that his dev friends are just, if not even more, as guilty if harassment constitutes saying mean things on twitter(let's just leave doxxing out, because there's been more actual and verified doxxings from his friends and the indie clique throughout this debacle) from anonymous accounts.

He brought up specific instances of when they were "attacked for being and supporting women in the game industry" when it was because they were morons spouting stupid things and some only happened to be women(I'm not denying there were probably more than a handful of comments because of that though, but to say ALL of them is ignorant at best, and an outright lie at worst, not to mention simply acting like they are above criticism never going over well with anybody).

I'm all for calling out communities for their morons and telling said morons to shape up, but to say the entire community is full of morons is stupid and suggests you have no compassion for your fans or your profession. He lost alot of respect from alot of people for his attitude during this thingy.

I could bring up more, but I consider those the most relevant and worst transgressions.

Edit: Lunatic brought up a much better example I was unaware of, so I'll second that and shelve my own.
Dude I am quite sure his friends didnt do the harassing and doxxing. Were there anti-GG harassers and doxxers? Fuck yes there were. Should they be punished? Fuck yea. And equating support to women in gaming with moronic statements (oh god) than you are part of the problem, not the solution. As far as I know of this entire sordid affair, NONE of Jim's actual friends were DOXXING. And saying mean words isnt harassment, its just being a dick. He also never said that the entire community is filled with morons. Wonder where else have I seen that? (rhetorical question)
Edit: grammar. Lovely grammar

The Lunatic said:
Haerthan said:

That is nowhere near harassment. If you actually watched the video, and earlier videos about suicidally stupid indie devs, you would have seen that those devs started the whole mess by acting in a childish manner, attempting to stifle all criticism. Guess what he does. HE CRITICIZES devs, both AAA and indie. So for you to say that it is hypocritical is a logical fallacy. I think you guys also need to look up the dictionary meaning of harassment. And Jim never condoned harassment,regardless of side. I think I saw that in many of his videos,

PS: I am not insulting anyone, and if I have I apologize.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Jim's rarely said anything worth hearing. When he was on the Escapist, 90% of what he said was either blatantly obvious or completely missed the point.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Haerthan said:
That is nowhere near harassment. If you actually watched the video, and earlier videos about suicidally stupid indie devs, you would have seen that those devs started the whole mess by acting in a childish manner, attempting to stifle all criticism. Guess what he does. HE CRITICIZES devs, both AAA and indie. So for you to say that it is hypocritical is a logical fallacy. I think you guys also need to look up the dictionary meaning of harassment. And Jim never condoned harassment,regardless of side.
"They started it" is hardly a real defence now is it?

Regardless, I simply don't agree to what you think. My opinion is that he was being hypocritical and contributing to the harassment of a development team. Nothing you've said makes that untrue.

He could have made a general video and not aimed specifically at a certain development team, which would not have resulted in harassment.

He could have spoke to the indie team directly and let the topic die. Which would not have resulted in harassment.

Instead, he choose to make a video of him laughing at them and then make another one where he spent 5 minutes mocking and deriding them for daring to make a bad video game.

Which resulted in their harassment.

Regardless of Jim's actions, how do you explain and justify the harassment the development team got for the videos Jim made?

In terms of "Is this harassment or not" well, that's kinda subjective.

I'd say that getting a bunch of death threats and doxxing stuff on your forums is harassment.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Haerthan said:
Redryhno said:
Haerthan said:

Dude I am quite sure his friends didnt do the harassing and doxxing. Were there anti-GG harassers and doxxers? Fuck yes there were. Should they be punished? Fuck yea. And equating support to women in gaming with moronic statements (oh god) than you are part of the problem, not the solution. As far as I know of this entire sordid affair, NONE of Jim's actual friends were DOXXING. And saying mean words isnt harassment, its just being a dick. He also never said that the entire community is filled with morons. Wonder where else have I seen that? (rhetorical question)
Edit: grammar. Lovely grammar
Look, there's friends of his that were involved in some way with the crapfests. Go ask TFYC, they had both happen to them. Go ask the forum we've taken to forgetting because they want to be left alone, they were attacked for saying things on their own corner of the internet that the people that went and started harassing them had no business being there for. Go ask the people that were threatened from their jobs simply because they disagreed with certain entities and individuals. Go talk to the single parent that had her work flagged for plagiarism because of their support of this thing. All this crap, and there's been not so much as a condemnation of the people within their fanbases that did them, not even so much as an apology that it happened to them. Go talk to Pakman, a guy that interviewed people about GG and was accused of being a misogynist BY THOSE VERY PEOPLE BECAUSE HE WANTED TO LET ALL SIDES BE HEARD. The guy even put out a video of himself telling everyone what he personally thought, and that he was not pro-GG at all, and explained exactly why. And he is still being harassed by their followers and hangers-on despite apologizing himself for any harassment they've gotten because of his interviews(if any).
I respect people who hate something enough that they'll actually call the crap out, whether it's an anonymous account on the internet or a friend who repeatedly displays said crap. Sterling does not do this, and as such, I find him undeserving of my respect beyond his current economical success.
Considering that many people that wouldn't call themselves a part of the gaming community at all thought that the articles in question WERE targeting everyone and not just some tiny subsection, I have all I need to tell myself that I and the others that believe it are not crazy, not taking it too personally, and that the annoyance is completely justified. That's not even taking into account that some asked what was exactly meant by some of the articles and were told to shut up and sit down basically.